PDA

View Full Version : Taking dog hunting

Walksalot
10-22-2011, 06:04 AM
I have a new dog and he goes with me everywhere. I like to take him hunting with me but do not use him for locating game. Determining whether the dog needs to be on leash if I am not using him for hunting is black and white according to the CO. The dog has to be on leash. Is it just me or does the seem a little over kill(pardon the pun). Has anyone heard of a person being fined for having their dog with them in a hunting situation and being off leash?

Robson
10-22-2011, 08:11 AM
I haven't heard anything about it being illegal. I have taken my dog out a few times with me moose hunting and she just walks right beside me. I would be shocked to get a ticket for this. Would be good to know for the furure though.

Spokerider
10-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Well, if your dog even remotely resembles a wolf, you may want to think twice before bringing it along while you hike or still hunt. Keeping it in your vehicle or camp is one thing.........walking it where others could mistake it for a wolf is something you may only get to do once. Many peeps, when in *hunting mode*, wouldn`t stop to consider the possibility of what they are seeing is actually a pet dog vs wolf.

Walksalot
10-22-2011, 09:10 AM
My dog wears a back pack with pink flagging tape attached.

coach
10-22-2011, 09:17 AM
The rule is spelled out for you on page 17 of the regs - under Legal Hunting Methods / dogs.

Peter Pepper
10-22-2011, 11:52 AM
So the dog must be on leash if it's hunting. Not if he's just walking. Never met a dog with a hunters number, lol.
Try telling that to the CO if you ever meet one.
Kinda like the buddy accompanying a hunter thread from the other day. Kinda a gray area
For me, the dogs mostly on leash, expect when he isn't. In the bush, as with most things, it's my choice nobody eles's

Sasquatch
10-22-2011, 12:02 PM
The dog is supposed to be leashed if you are hunting for anything not detailed in the regs as allowing an offleash dog to hunt - such as birds, small game or bear.

If you come across a CO while your dog is off leash and he determines you are hunting deer, elk or moose, you will get a ticket.

Peter Pepper
10-22-2011, 12:25 PM
It dosn't specify that you have to he holding the other end of the leash....say a short nylon strap with no loop to catch up on things.
It's just sometimes I need both hands (one hand already holding a rifle) so i have to let go of the end of his lead.

Sasquatch
10-22-2011, 12:32 PM
It dosn't specify that you have to he holding the other end of the leash....say a short nylon strap with no loop to catch up on things.
It's just sometimes I need both hands (one hand already holding a rifle) so i have to let go of the end of his lead.

I'd like to be in the court room when you try and use this logic to get out of a fine. More luck to you if you can...

Peter Pepper
10-22-2011, 12:57 PM
I'd like to be in the court room when you try and use this logic to get out of a fine. More luck to you if you can...

I'll let you know if and when! No boooing from the back of the courthouse!

weatherbyjunkie
10-22-2011, 02:42 PM
i always put flagging tape around my dogs neck,or have a reflective vest on him if im out in the bush-wayyyyyy to easy for someone in hunting mode to mistake him for a wolf. a couple years ago i was in the middle of BF nowhere and,hadnt seen a soul for days,and in the middle of a slash saw a "wolf
' put the glasses on him and it was somebodys lab/shepherd cross. the owner appeared a few minutes later. nowhere close to a road,or anything else for that matter. better safe than sorry

Sasquatch
10-22-2011, 02:51 PM
I'll let you know if and when! No boooing from the back of the courthouse!

Booing? Not a chance....I'd clap for you.

Barracuda
10-22-2011, 03:25 PM
So the dog must be on leash if it's hunting. Not if he's just walking. Never met a dog with a hunters number, lol.
Try telling that to the CO if you ever meet one.
Kinda like the buddy accompanying a hunter thread from the other day. Kinda a gray area
For me, the dogs mostly on leash, expect when he isn't. In the bush, as with most things, it's my choice nobody eles's

if the dog is with you it will be considered as hunting with you so you better have it on a lead if your only after ungulates.

horshur
10-22-2011, 06:41 PM
grouse rabbit bear lynx cougar....many of them are open concurrent to deer season and you can be hunting them as well so I suppose you will be in and out of violation as you run into different game throughout the day..... the law is there to stop deer dogging which is still legal in some places...if you are dogging deer you should be fined according to the law in BC.

quit worrying about most of this shit and enjoy your dog and yourself out in the woods.

mark
10-22-2011, 07:00 PM

This is one loop-hole.....the other is to have a bear tag, if your hunting for bear its ok to have him off a leash.......if you should see a deer and decide to pursue it, put the dog on a leash!