PDA

View Full Version : My first Whitetail

IslandHunterBXL
10-21-2011, 11:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQqiyu94GTk

sorry no pics as i am computer-dummy, but here is a vid link to youtube. Vid taken wth iphone (turned sideways) oops. Short story, first day of hunt, found a great lookout down over a creek bed and spotted a small whitetail buck 250 yards upstream. We had discussed not shooting deer too early in the trip as we were targeting moose and conscience on hanging times etc. Watched it staring at me through my bino's for a min or two and decided to look at it through my scope just to get a feel for what it looked like (been awhile since hunted with rifle). Soon as i peeked through scope i saw a bigger buck swagger out of the bush behind him. Maybe i have watched too many hunting dvd's where there is a small buck then a bigger one walks out. idk. I saw what i thought was a nice rack, and shaking like a leaf, i started firing. Two shots and they disappeared. Hiked down and found my deer ten yards away from where i shot at him. Being an island hunter, im used to grabbing the antlers with one hand and dragging the buck out of the bush. I quickly learned thats not the case with big whitetails! A four point with more fat on his *ss than i have ever seen on a deer. Fully dressed it was 178lb at the butcher back home after hanging for a week already. Still looking for a fiver ;)
Iv always thought that the day i stop shaking while i shoot at an animal, i'll stop hunting. Looks like i'll be hunting for awhile yet..

IslandHunterBXL
10-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Special thanks to beaufort ranger for taking me with him for this hunt

Kid Hunter
10-21-2011, 11:41 PM
Nice, always a good adventure no matter where you go eh? Gotta love it!

Skull Hunter
10-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Nice looking buck! I also really like your avatar!

spear
10-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Right on, nice whitey for your first one!!

kennyj
10-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Wow! Big body on that one. Way to go .
kenny

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Nice buck!