PDA

View Full Version : Bear defence

elcazador
10-21-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm new at bow hunting and I like to stalk and still hunt, deer at this point, i go solo all the time.

I have not encountered any dangerous wildlife (Grizz bears, not so much for the black variety), but I know i will encounter some.

I carry a small machete, a good size canister of bear spray but that is it (recomendations on new equipment would be appreciated) lately I have been a little more aware of my environment and when i hear big trashing close, i just start thinking the worst! reach for my bear spray and that's it just waiting for a charge! i know this is all in my head but I'm feeling a little exposed.

if a bear charges me and i have a full draw on my bow i think is not likely i would hit him on a fatal kind of way, so if a bear charges me the only thing i can do is bear spray... 15 ft... by them i would have a cardiac arrest with all that adrenaline going on, so i want to hear opinions and recommendations on how to handle this kind of situations, or just stories of what have worked for you.

I know if a had a rifle/shotgun, I would feel more confident on any kind of big game confrontation.

madrona sh
10-21-2011, 09:48 PM
You probably will do alright with your bear spray. It's up to you really. Maybe an air horn?

IslandHunterBXL
10-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Never been in that situation myself were i was charged. But i shake my head at bear spray. Id say carry a shotgun if you have one, and if its charging you, and within 15 ft, it should already be dead! A bear can run 40+ kph? or something like that. At 15 feet you have about half a second. If you feel safe in that situation with bear spray, you are ten times the man i am! haha. I asked similar question a few weeks ago about what kind of loads to use for a shotgun in that situation. If you can find that thread there was some good info on there from folks much more experienced than I. Good luck and be safe!

180grainer
10-21-2011, 11:50 PM
A bow, in most instances, won't have the knock down power, (as opposed to the energy most like to talk about) that a firearm will have. So even if you make a good kill shot, you're likely to get a good mauling as well. The best remedy is a defender loaded with good 2 3/4 slugs in a back scaboard, (not sure if I'm spelling that right). You most likely won't have time to get to it, but it will make you feel better walking through the bush with your stick thrower. I've actually read alot about the bear spray and it apparently works well. But give me a 12 gauge in one hand or a can of spray in the other, I'll go for the 12 gauge every time.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-22-2011, 05:30 AM
a loud whistle may help, it's small which makes its usable. the problem with fixed blade knives is there speed of deployment. the cold steel rajah ll is fast and big, it's my go to blade. bear spray is good as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEudqHuBG3s&feature=related

mulerider
10-22-2011, 07:13 AM
I heard a story on this form a while back about a guy that was jumped by a cougar. His rifle was knocked out of his hands and his bearspray saved him in the end.

mulerider
10-22-2011, 07:15 AM
So the question is do you want to carry a big can of bear spray with you every time you hunt or take a chance. As the odds of being attacked might be one in 10,000 days of hunting.

curt
10-22-2011, 07:49 AM
i pack a marlin 1895 g 450 when bow hunting I could go into a heard of grizz and feel completely confident!!:)

thunderheart
10-22-2011, 07:14 PM
A good thing to have with you is a 12 gauge flare gun ... it works well in the bang and bright light department but was told by a gent up coast working the salmon creeks that a 12 g flare shot at a bear aiming for the chest is very affective, remembering of course that there is only one shot and then you have to open the flare pistol and reload.... so make your shot count. It would also come in handy if injured or lost. can even be carried in a park if just hiking or camping.

rainman
10-22-2011, 07:30 PM
actually bear spray is very effective when used properly,my bear defence would be 12 guage slug ,ssg,slug etc........if you have to use it you wont have to aim much

Deer_Slayer
10-22-2011, 07:42 PM
I was hunting near Golden BC about 10 years ago with my bow in the early bow elk season. I was all camo'd up and chirping up a storm hiding beside a tree when I heard a crashing and thrashing from about 75 yards in the thick bush. I knocked and arrow and drew back waiting for my bull elk to materialize when much to my horror a big silvertip grizz caming running full tilt right at me. I was absolutely horrified as the bear came to a skidding halt not anymore than 20 feet from me with drool running down its face and I could see its eyes looking around for the elk he had heard. I had no backup of any sort and stood there praying he would not see me. The bear turned and had its ass to me and slowly walked about 20 - 30 feet back the way he had come and just stood staring in the direction he had just come from. I had no other option...I jumped out and yelled as loud as I could with every profane word I could muster and I scared the shit outa the bear and he ran back about 60 - 75 yards. The bear then stopped, turned and looked back towards me on its hind legs. I quickly started running like hell down the trail I had taken to my truck which was about 500 yards away. Never saw that bear again but I never again hunted with my bow without having my shotgun by my side. So...my advice..either hunt from a tree stand, or if you are stalking, a can of bear spray...beware of what you may be calling.

elcazador
10-22-2011, 07:44 PM
A good thing to have with you is a 12 gauge flare gun ... it works well in the bang and bright light department but was told by a gent up coast working the salmon creeks that a 12 g flare shot at a bear aiming for the chest is very affective, remembering of course that there is only one shot and then you have to open the flare pistol and reload.... so make your shot count. It would also come in handy if injured or lost. can even be carried in a park if just hiking or camping.

I have one of those in my sailboat! will bring it with me! that is an excellent idea!

meesemoot
10-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Bowhunting is great, but you never know what you might attract or encounter. 338 Win Mag with 250 gr. Grand Slams is my life insurance policy.

BcBob
10-22-2011, 11:07 PM
I carry a bear banger fits in my pocket. Won't kill anything sure makes a big bang.

Peter Pepper
10-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Might kill you reproductive abilities if it goes off in your pocket! They sure do make a big bang

Grousedaddy
10-23-2011, 11:48 AM
I wish i could just pack the .357 on my hip 6 shots with that and id feel alot safer too bad you arent aloud to protect yourself in our beautiful country and have to lug around the 12g and your bow

madrona sh
10-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Don't shoot your bear banger OVER the bear and scare him right at you.

Deer_Slayer
10-23-2011, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't use a bear banger...lotsa guys fire a warning shot that makes a big bang and doesn't even make a bear flinch..they hear big thunder storms in mountains all the time...right?

elcazador
10-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Great feedback! right now my first line of defense will be a bear banger, 60 yards will be my firing mark with the banger, then my next line of defense is the bear spray, 1% Oleoresin Capsicum dono the distance, there are ones that go 35 yards! I think that will cover my needs! or at least i hope!

The Dude
10-23-2011, 07:26 PM
I use a very Simple Plan.
What you do is get a rainbow wig, a big red nose, a pointy hat with a pom-pom on it, and HUGE shoes, and wear these hunting.
You might say "Hey, I'll look like a ****ing CLOWN!
This is true, but Grizzly's absolutely will not eat clowns.
It's a proven fact.
Apparently they taste funny.

Deer_Slayer
10-23-2011, 08:33 PM
but..they ate Timothy Treadwell? yum yum

green machine
10-23-2011, 09:31 PM
ya but he was a goof not a clown.

killman
10-23-2011, 09:39 PM
I had an encounter this year with a Black Bear while armed with only my Bow. Lucky for my buddy was beside me with his .338 and scared him off.

qhergt
10-24-2011, 02:17 AM
if you have the $$ Buy an antique status revolver.. lots out there that are good shooters... but be prepared to pay between $1000-$2000

.330 Dakota
10-24-2011, 07:32 AM
i pack a marlin 1895 g 450 when bow hunting I could go into a heard of grizz and feel completely confident!!:)

And I thought they were called flocks..lol