PDA

View Full Version : Butchering your kill at camp

Bigbruin
10-21-2011, 09:00 PM
I can't seem to get any straight answers on this subject. Can a person process his kill while at camp. I'm talking cut wrap and freeze in the regs it says the animal must be identifiable until it reaches your residence or a butcher. Well I butcher all my own meat but I'm not a buycher by trade.So I put it out to you I look forward to the responses

lovemywinchester
10-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Do not butcher it at camp. Wait till you get home. That's all you need to know.

Steeleco
10-21-2011, 09:07 PM
The question as been asked in the past that is very similar in intent to yours, only folks want to know the regs with regard to "de-boning" meat for those long pack outs. I don't recall if I ever read a post where the answer was clear cut.

What if your hunting from your mountain cabin and cut it there, it's a residence. Once it's cut/wrapped how would anyone know you didn't use a commercial cutter?
As you can see there's lots of twists to the same question, just not too many answers!!

lovemywinchester
10-21-2011, 09:13 PM
If you get checked on the way home and have wrapped meat you will be fined. Happened to my buddy last year. The CO was quite clear that it cannot be "butchered" until HOME. He was checked on the Duffy road and was fined around $150 or so.

remington666
10-21-2011, 09:21 PM
i also would suggest waiting till you get home i have been stopped by c.o.s a handfull of times ,you just never know ,its not worth the fine it seems like one of those laws that could change with each individual officer because it doesnt make alot of sense .

Mr. Dean
10-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Can a person process his kill while at camp.

I once had 2 deer from 2 different MU's, in a budd's home-built cooler that's ~ a 5hr drive from my home. I wanted to self cut these animals there because I had good helpers (some family, some friends) that were well versed in the process and could lend me some pointers.

I was in the same shoes as you are now.

I talked with a CO about it and offered the animals up for inspection (as per regs). After a little chin-waggin', he wrote me up a letter to carry with me for the run home, in case I should be checked.

I'd suggest calling the local CO for their thoughts on this.

coach
10-21-2011, 09:32 PM
If you get checked on the way home and have wrapped meat you will be fined. Happened to my buddy last year. The CO was quite clear that it cannot be "butchered" until HOME. He was checked on the Duffy road and was fined around $150 or so.

That's an interesting one. I have a buddy who lives in the lower mainland and has a cabin at Sheridan Lake. A few years ago, his son shot a buck during the sep 1-9 youth season. Because it was warm out, we took the deer to a butcher in Lone Bute. A few days later, he brought the cut and wrapped deer home to the LM. As the butcher would have a record of his hunter number and tag number, he shouldn't have had any problems going through a game check. As we now butcher our own animals most of the time, it's likely that if the same early season kill and hot weather predicament occurred, we would want to butcher and wrap the animal at the cabin.

coach
10-21-2011, 09:35 PM
M Dean - looks like we were posting at the same time, but you provided a solution.

finngun
10-21-2011, 09:37 PM
cut wrap and freeze---i seen that happening at the camp...freezer- vac.sealer generator..works well not so legal--maybe..but what you can do..hot weather..far out in the bush?

Steeleco
10-21-2011, 09:40 PM
So how does a guy in Richmond get his game home from a butcher in the valley? Sounds like another rule that makes ZERO sense to honest people and flat out ignored by everyone else.

10-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Dont have the regs out with me but I believe it is to your residence or to an approved meat cutter, can't remember the exact wording.

lovemywinchester
10-21-2011, 10:05 PM
So how does a guy in Richmond get his game home from a butcher in the valley? Sounds like another rule that makes ZERO sense to honest people and flat out ignored by everyone else.

This was brought up by my buddy and the response was to carry the receipt from the butcher. Its like all the regs, personal ethics make us comply. The chance of getting checked is slim but we follow the rules.

boxhitch
10-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Like any of the regs, you have to think about what the intent is. They want to be able to identify what they are looking at during a check.
Just like leaving a wing on a bird.
The approved cutter should issue a receipt to go with the goods for transport.
Just think it through

Jim Prawn
10-21-2011, 10:18 PM
I've also heard that your residence is determined as whatever the address on your drivers license is, so your Cabin would not qualify. If you were still in the midst of a trip you can have your animal butchered but you will need paper work to back up what they butchered and you will still need proof of sex etc with you in case of a game check (antlers, ears, boobs, whatever).
Definitely doesnt promote meat care in the bush.
JP

IslandHunterBXL
10-21-2011, 10:58 PM
We found meat cutters as much as 95 cents/pound, plust tax this year. To cut up a 500 pound moose yourself at camp seems almost worth the risk of a $150 fine.

Glenny
10-21-2011, 11:25 PM
We found meat cutters as much as 95 cents/pound, plust tax this year. To cut up a 500 pound moose yourself at camp seems almost worth the risk of a $150 fine.

Not if they decided to conficate the meat though.

IslandHunterBXL
10-21-2011, 11:55 PM
Not if they decided to conficate the meat though.
true, good call

bearhunter338-06
10-21-2011, 11:57 PM
I went through this a few years back (cost me $150). When you cut and wrap your meat save the head (antlered/antlerless) and leave evidence of sex with some of the hide on a piece of the meat.

Also call the conservation officer and get him to also explain it to you.

Mauser98
10-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Here's what the Wildlife Act has to say about this topic

Possession of carcass
36* (1)*A person who possesses the carcass of any wildlife, whether or not the carcass has been divided, without leaving attached the parts required by regulation to be left attached, commits an offence.

(2)*Subsection (1) only applies until the earlier of the following:
(a)*the carcass is given to a meatcutter or the owner or operator of a cold storage plant to be recorded in accordance with section 71,
(b)*the carcass arrives at the person's normal dwelling place and is butchered and stored there for consumption on the premises, or
(c)*the carcass is presented to an employee of the ministry for which the minister is responsible or other person specified by the Lieutenant Governor in Council for inspection.

Somewhere in the Act/Regs there is a requirement for the cutter to supply the hunter with a receipt for the cutting but I can't find the specific clause.

goatdancer
10-22-2011, 03:01 PM
'Person's normal dwelling place' is the key. Meatcutters will give you a receipt so that should be no problem.

J_T
10-22-2011, 04:30 PM
So if I drive the animal home and then back to camp I'm legal to start cutting it up. Take a picture of it laying against the front door. We've talked about this for late season whitetailing. With the extreme cold, it make sense when we kill in the morning to be in a position in camp to cut and wrap later in the day. Makes sense to me.

Gun Babe
10-22-2011, 06:32 PM
I am still a newbie here.... but does not make sense to me. We live in a SMALL apartment with no place, room to cut up a deer. My hubby knows what he is doing and can butcher the deer himself. So from what I now understand, if he does butcher, leave on the sex, we have the antlers (portion of skull, not the whole thing as no way to deal with that in the city apartment) I am in violation and can be fined? Just want to make sure what is correct as I do not want to risk a fine, loosing the meat, or violate in any way my hunting rights....

kgs
10-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Do not butcher it at camp. Wait till you get home. That's all you need to know.

Big7
10-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Most big game animals tend to "age" better after 7-14 days of hanging. Do have that much holliday time to wait until optimal time to process the animal? Cut it when you get home. What's wrong with that?

lovemywinchester
10-22-2011, 07:01 PM
I am still a newbie here.... but does not make sense to me. We live in a SMALL apartment with no place, room to cut up a deer. My hubby knows what he is doing and can butcher the deer himself. So from what I now understand, if he does butcher, leave on the sex, we have the antlers (portion of skull, not the whole thing as no way to deal with that in the city apartment) I am in violation and can be fined? Just want to make sure what is correct as I do not want to risk a fine, loosing the meat, or violate in any way my hunting rights....
Its not that expensive to get a deer cut and wrapped. Its around 69 cents a pound. My whitetail buck only cost me $80 to get butchered. He hung for over a week in the butchers cooler and is very tasty. I get doing it yourself but if its a big hassle why bother. Just skin it and drop it off. No hassle.

finngun
10-22-2011, 07:10 PM
jep ..what about moose ? can cost hundreds2-300 at the butcher and retired goofeys[like me] has that extra day to do it in bush......but.but no says regs..stupid

J_T
10-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Most big game animals tend to "age" better after 7-14 days of hanging. Do have that much holliday time to wait until optimal time to process the animal? Cut it when you get home. What's wrong with that? Umm, I don't have time.. I don't have the facilities at home like I do at camp. -30 and they freeze up hard if their left to hang. It's a way to spend the middle part of the day. It maximizes time spent. Doesn't disrupt the home.

J_T
10-22-2011, 07:25 PM
If this is an enforcement issue, then perhaps it's time for the CO's to recognize they play a role in the retention of hunters. In most jurisdictions CO's are like traveling salesmen, helping you out as best they can. Time to start believing in innocence first. By separation of the criminal act, hunters are law abiding citizens and should be respected as such. Rather than presuming they are always up to something and looking for a way to break the law.

Time for a reg amendment.

mark
10-22-2011, 07:48 PM

In the case of a deer, you can debone the whole thing on the spot and fit it in a backpack.....just leave a nut and a 1" piece of hide attached to a chunk of meat.
Pretty sure you could enter your apt with a backpack and do the final cut and wrap on the kitchen table!

perfectly legal!

Same goes for a moose or elk, fully deboned they fit into 3 backpacks.......no issue with deboning and cooling an animal, just dont have the whole critter cut into steaks and wrapped in paper!

boxhitch
10-22-2011, 08:43 PM
If this is an enforcement issue, then perhaps it's time for the CO's to recognize they play a role in the retention of hunters. In most jurisdictions CO's are like traveling salesmen, helping you out as best they can. Time to start believing in innocence first. By separation of the criminal act, hunters are law abiding citizens and should be respected as such. Rather than presuming they are always up to something and looking for a way to break the law.

Time for a reg amendment.If it is a hassle to go by the rules, why not call a CO and plead your case and ask for an exception ? Other posts suggest this has been done.
If it was really a big issue don't you think an amendment would have been done already ?

Mulehahn
10-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Kind of off topic, but related. I have family in Prince George. They operate a ranch and have to ability to process and freeze a deer or moose. Last year, they 2 moose and offered me a 1/4. How do I prove that it is not something I harvested. It was processed at there permanent residence, no reciept, no nothing. Even if they give me a note. What does that prove, nothing really. Only that someone I know says they killed a moose. They have no way of proving that it was the same moose I am transporting. Not a major concern, but one I thought of after reading this. Is it just a matter of the CO having to take my word for it? (not nocking COs, have had only goood experiences, but I have a guy with a quarter moose and no tagged punched in the bed of his pick-up, I would ask a few questions)

henderson
10-22-2011, 10:51 PM
So de-boning is acceptable but put a pieace of paper around it and its illegal? This makes no sense to me??? If you have a ball and piece of hide and either a cooler full of loose meat or neatly packaged meat what difference does it make? As in the original post lets say you actually WERE a butcher and butchered an animal at camp would you have to write a reciept for yourself to get it home? So many hoops to jump through its ridiculous!

bandit
10-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Kind of off topic, but related. I have family in Prince George. They operate a ranch and have to ability to process and freeze a deer or moose. Last year, they 2 moose and offered me a 1/4. How do I prove that it is not something I harvested. It was processed at there permanent residence, no reciept, no nothing. Even if they give me a note. What does that prove, nothing really. Only that someone I know says they killed a moose. They have no way of proving that it was the same moose I am transporting. Not a major concern, but one I thought of after reading this. Is it just a matter of the CO having to take my word for it? (not nocking COs, have had only goood experiences, but I have a guy with a quarter moose and no tagged punched in the bed of his pick-up, I would ask a few questions)

Valid point. What if they gave meat to a non-hunter. Would they get fined for not having a hunting license as well as not leaving the sex attached?

mark
10-22-2011, 11:17 PM

If you are given meat by another hunter, you need a gift letter, basically stating the lic and tag info of the hunter that gave it to you! Its done all the time!

500grhollowpoint
10-23-2011, 01:36 AM
I think you are all full of shit. Someone needs to get it from the source as the regs, like it or not, are foggy on this. I'm too tired to do it myself.

tuchodi
10-23-2011, 07:51 AM
We used to hunt and fish in the Horsefly area and stay at my friends parents place. We lived in the lower mainland and would stay for about 2 to 3 weeks. All we ever did was call the CO's to come over and inspect out animals before we butchard it. They were always very cordial and came over and inspected our animals and our tags and would give us a letter to transport the meat cut wrapped and frozen. We got stopped in a game check once and the CO looked at out letter and said carry on.

lovemywinchester
10-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Transporting Wildlife
All persons who possess, transport or ship
wildlife meat or parts of wildlife within the
Province of British Columbia must have
with them the species licence under which
the animal was taken by that person, or, if
the animal was taken by another person, a
Record of Receipt of the wildlife (see
page 77) showing:
4the date and place of receipt,
4the name and address of the person
who killed the animal, or from whom it was
acquired,
4the name and address of the person to
whom the wildlife parts are to be delivered,
4the BC Resident Hunter Number or
permit number of the person who killed
the animal,
4the species licence number under which
the animal was taken, and
4the species and sex of the animal taken.
Anyone having wildlife butchered and
packaged is required to obtain from the
butcher a receipt which indicates:
4the Hunter Number,
4the species licence number, and
4the species, and sex of the animal taken

Record of Receipt for Transporting Wildlife
Date: Place of Receipt:
Species: Species Sex:
Name & Address of person who killed the animal:
BC Resident Hunter Number of person who killed the animal:
Species Licence Number under which the animal was taken:
Name and Address of the person to whom the wildlife parts are be delivered:
Signature of hunter: Witness:
For wildlife or parts of wildlife destined for taxidermists, tanners, meatcutters, fur traders and cold storage plant operators the following information is required.
Date of kill:
Hunting Licence Number RHC or NRH:
Compulsory Inspection Number (if applicable):

Here you go. Plain black and white.

lovemywinchester
10-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Pages 20-21 and page 77 in the regs.

ryanb
10-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Why is it so hard for people to read the fricking regulations? By being on this website, you are by definition NOT illiterate.

I honestly don't know how to word it any more straightforward than the regulations already do, so here is a direct quote:

"Anyone who possesses or transports the carcass or part of the carcass of the follow- ing animals must leave naturally attached
to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person’s possession the following listed par ts:
(1) For elk, moose, and deer: (a) If the animal is male, either
(i)that portion of the head which bears the antlers, OR
(ii) both a testicle or part of the penis, AND the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable par t of the hide not less than 6 cm2.
(b) If the animal is female, either
(i) that portion of the head which in males normally bears antlers, OR
(ii) both a portion of the udder or teats, AND the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2."

Apparently some people still need a translation here. You need the male elk, deer's, or moose's portion of head that bears antlers. That is ALL. OR, a testical and the tail. OR, a testical and 6 cm2 piece of hide. All must be naturally attached to a "part" of the carcass which to me mean a piece of carcass other than the item itself, so the head to the part of the head that bears antlers, or a piece of meat to a testicle or tail or 6 cm2 piece of hide. What you do to the rest of the carcass is IRRELEVANT. Disclaimer: The requirements for mountain sheep, goat, bison and caribou are different. Please check the regulations.

Apparently there is confusion over this very simple regulation even amongst CO's so I recommend having the regulations in your vehicle so you can "prove" your innocence.

Mr. Dean
10-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Why is it so hard for people to read the fricking regulations? By being on this website, you are by definition NOT illiterate.

I honestly don't know how to word it any more straightforward than the regulations already do, so here is a direct quote:

"Anyone who possesses or transports the carcass or part of the carcass of the follow- ing animals must leave naturally attached
to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person’s possession the following listed par ts:
(ii) both a testicle or part of the penis, AND the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable par t of the hide not less than 6 cm2.
(ii) both a portion of the udder or teats, AND the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2."

Apparently some people still need a translation here. You need the male elk, deer's, or moose's portion of head that bears antlers. That is ALL. OR, a testical and the tail. OR, a testical and 6 cm2 piece of hide. All must be naturally attached to a "part" of the carcass which to me mean a piece of carcass other than the item itself, so the head to the part of the head that bears antlers, or a piece of meat to a testicle or tail or 6 cm2 piece of hide. What you do to the rest of the carcass is IRRELEVANT. Disclaimer: The requirements for mountain sheep, goat, bison and caribou are different. Please check the regulations.

Apparently there is confusion over this very simple regulation even amongst CO's so I recommend having the regulations in your vehicle so you can "prove" your innocence.

Herein lies the confusion;

ryanb, your post deals with 'carcass' or 'portion' thereof. These definitions aren't defined and in general, is accepted as either a hole animal that's been field dressed, or perhaps a quarter or a half of it. A prep'd steak is generally deemed as being *different* than this - Again, there is no solid definition.

There is however a SOLID requirement of having the animal inspected before being transported in these assumed 'lesser' stages. This is either a commercial butcher, or an appointment of MOE. It could be further argued that because of these requirements, the wildlife act, in its breakdown of regulations, defines carcass and prepared meat......

As I posted earlier, a letter of transport isn't hard to get and when I did mine, they didn't even come out and inspect it; taking me on my word of what I actually had. And because one of the animal heads was at the taxi, I needed to keep the penis from that one in a ziplok for the 5hr run home.

Ambush
10-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Some follks tend to over complicate things and look for the devil under every rock.
But let's say, I shoot a deer, take it home and then butcher it myself. I cut, wrap and freeze the deer.
The next week, I take my box of deer and I'm driving to a friend/relative's place, 'cause my freezer's to full.
Is someone going to tell me that a CO can stop me, and fine me for being in contravention 'cause I'm transporting game meat thats wrapped and has no hide or evidence of sex???

I'm heading over to Alberta this week and hope to get a whitetail. By law I have to debone the meat [spine and skull and tissue thereof] so I just cut it while I'm doing it. Same as the last ones.
I'll have my cancelled Alberta tag, but that's it. Nothing to prove that I didn't shoot that buck in Mcbride. I can be found guilty of an offence?

Be honest, meet the intention of the law and if it's still an issue, then it's court time. You still are innocent until proven guilty, and it's tuff enuf to convict a guilty person, never mind an innocent.

lightmag
10-23-2011, 01:23 PM

that's how i read and understand it and i will take that to court anyday angainst any CO.

J_T
10-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Some follks tend to over complicate things and look for the devil under every rock.
But let's say, I shoot a deer, take it home and then butcher it myself. I cut, wrap and freeze the deer.
The next week, I take my box of deer and I'm driving to a friend/relative's place, 'cause my freezer's to full.
Is someone going to tell me that a CO can stop me, and fine me for being in contravention 'cause I'm transporting game meat thats wrapped and has no hide or evidence of sex???

I'm heading over to Alberta this week and hope to get a whitetail. By law I have to debone the meat [spine and skull and tissue thereof] so I just cut it while I'm doing it. Same as the last ones.
I'll have my cancelled Alberta tag, but that's it. Nothing to prove that I didn't shoot that buck in Mcbride. I can be found guilty of an offence?

Be honest, meet the intention of the law and if it's still an issue, then it's court time. You still are innocent until proven guilty, and it's tuff enuf to convict a guilty person, never mind an innocent. Case in point, my son came over for Thanksgiving, I told him to bring an empty cooler and I filled it with Hutterite chickens and wild game. Screw the licence / tag info. That's going a bit far. I understand the law and its intent, but some wish to interpret it a bit too far.

RayHill
10-23-2011, 01:28 PM
As I posted earlier, a letter of transport isn't hard to get and when I did mine, they didn't even come out and inspect it; taking me on my word of what I actually had. And because one of the animal heads was at the taxi, I needed to keep the penis from that one in a ziplok for the 5hr run home.

Why would you need to keep a dick in a bag for a drive home? Would you not have had the paper work form the taxi saying that you had dropped off the buck's head? Wow dosn't this whole thing sound confusing? I think anyway you do it can be argued out enough to be ok LOL I think that something should be done to clear it up.

Phil A. Bowl
10-23-2011, 04:40 PM
So i guess i better get my granny to pick up my cut wrap and froze game that my hunting partner did for me and hide it in her trunk,Cause i know i cant fit it in my butt.
Weird how easy one can fell like a criminal

Mr. Dean
10-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Why would you need to keep a dick in a bag for a drive home? Would you not have had the paper work form the taxi saying that you had dropped off the buck's head? Wow dosn't this whole thing sound confusing? I think anyway you do it can be argued out enough to be ok LOL I think that something should be done to clear it up.

I'm sure the paper work would have worked but when I was asked if the heads would be transported also, I offered up the 'junk' instead and it was mutually agreed to.

There's was no confusion, just a simple phone call. :smile:

aggiehunter
10-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Heres a straight answer...no

Gateholio
10-24-2011, 06:40 PM

The CO's don't consider the detached head with antlers as part of a "carcass" so if you are cutting up your animal to backpack it down the mountain, leave the nuts attached to a quarter as well as retaining the antlers. It's not worth a trip to court over a couple of ounces of nuts, even though I am sure it could be argued successfully in court hat the definition of carcass s ambiguous.

32-40win
10-24-2011, 08:22 PM
You could easily take it in to a butcher, let him see it and give you a receipt. Let him cut something if necc, a small portion.
I doubt you'd have much problem with that, and it'd solve the transport issue.

Mr. Dean
10-24-2011, 08:40 PM
You could easily take it in to a butcher, let him see it and give you a receipt. Let him cut something if necc, a small portion.
I doubt you'd have much problem with that, and it'd solve the transport issue.

Why not just make a phone call???
It's really easy.

bigshooter
10-24-2011, 09:02 PM
It's really easy.

How often have you got an answer when you phone or got a call back when you leave a message. I think it would be an easy thing to do as well, just make a phone call, but you have to get an answer. What if your camp is out of cell range and the co is stopping between you and cell range?

tom
10-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Just finished with talking with Andrew who is the head CO from Powell River.

"You are allowed to butcher the animal in camp as long as you leave the proof of sex attached to a LARGE portion of the meat ( whole hindquarter or the upper leg), but not just a steak"

Tom

bandit
10-25-2011, 03:21 PM
At the risk of complicating things even more - why do you need to leave proof of sex if there is a simultaneous season for both (eg whitetail mid october in region 8)? Obviously it is important in buck only season to prove you have harvested a buck, but who cares what the sex is if you can harvest either??

bosch
10-25-2011, 03:32 PM
There is nothing in writing in the regs to answer this great question, we have asked several CO's in different regions and it seems they don't have a standard answer either. We have butchered our meat in camp lots of times, always leave a section with hair on it for DNA, which we have been told would be at our expense if it went that far, and we keep the sex of the animal in a bag. Wife always loves to see that in the freezer when unexpected. So we have been given mixed answers from CO's from region 4 to region 7. AGAIN GOOD QUESTION

lightmag
10-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Heres a straight answer...no

your straight answer is WRONG

Gateholio
10-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Just finished with talking with Andrew who is the head CO from Powell River.

"You are allowed to butcher the animal in camp as long as you leave the proof of sex attached to a LARGE portion of the meat ( whole hindquarter or the upper leg), but not just a steak"

Tom

That seems reasonable.

Bigbruin
10-25-2011, 08:22 PM
It is legal to transport deboned/wrapped/butchered game from the kill location to one’s home. However, there are certain requirements that must be met if you are planning to transport game this way. Below are the legal requirements for transporting harvested wildlife:

Division 5 — Possession of Carcass
Possession of carcass
15 *******(1) *In subsection (2), "deer" means mule (black-tailed) deer, white-tailed deer and fallow deer.
(2) *For the purpose of section 36 of the Act, a person who possesses the whole carcass or part of a carcass of an elk, moose or deer must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person's possession
(a) if the animal was male, either
(i) *that portion of the head that bears the antlers, or
(ii) *both
(A) *a testicle or part of the penis, and
(B) *the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2, and
(b) if the animal was female, either
(i) *that portion of the head that in males normally bears antlers, or
(ii) *both
(A) *a portion of the udder or teats, and
(B) *the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2.
(3) *For the purpose of section 36 of the Act, a person who possesses the whole carcass or part of a carcass of a caribou must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person's possession
(a) if the animal was male,
(i) *a testicle or part of the penis, and
(ii) *the animal's tail, another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm² or that portion of the head that bears the antlers, and
(b) if the animal was female,
(i) *a portion of the udder or teats, and
(ii) *the animal's tail, another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2 or that portion of the head that normally bears the antlers.

***************As you can see from above, there are different requirements for different species. The underlying theme of this regulation is that, if you are questioned by an officer, you have to be able to prove that the game in your possession was legally harvested. This means that the hunter must be able to prove the sex and the species of the harvested animal. If you are de-boning/butchering the animal, you must leave, naturally attached to a part of the carcass, proof of sex (testicle, udder, etc as described above), and a minimum 6 cm2 patch of hide or the tail. A detached head accompanying de-boned meat is not sufficient for proof of sex and species. The head needs to be left naturally attached to the carcass. Feel free to call me directly if you want to discuss

Bigbruin
10-25-2011, 08:28 PM
This comes directly from a CO in an email which I will save on my phone so if I ever get hassled they can hammer it between themselves.

huntcoop
10-30-2011, 09:35 PM
It's really easy.

Is it? You're hunting in region 7 and call a local CO, get an answer but are pulled over in region 3, on your way home..............bet you get a different answer.

Mr. Dean
10-31-2011, 12:40 AM
Is it? You're hunting in region 7 and call a local CO, get an answer but are pulled over in region 3, on your way home..............bet you get a different answer.

read all my posts...... The net result is you're riding with a signed letter on letterhead.