PDA

View Full Version : Wild Boars, where to go...

bear buster
10-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Seen 3 in the back of a truck today in Dawson Creek, stopped to bs with the guys, sounds like a blast, 300 a boar and the were all 275lbs plus. Forgot to ask 1 key question, where they went on there hunt.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Christina lake (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/03/19/bc-christina-lake-wild-pigs.html)

don't know about the legality's and these are wild pigs.

BiG Boar
10-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Told by 2 CO's this year, if they are not wildlife of Bc or on a do not shoot list, they are good to kill. Including Sasquatch.

Trapper D
10-21-2011, 06:50 PM
i know of hunters in harrison hot springs who have come across them up the lake, dont know if they are still up there or not ,as this goes back a ways

Deer_Slayer
10-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Yeah I recall the days of boars up near Harrison...haven't heard anything for years maybe they've been hunted out.

vortex hunter
10-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Yeah I recall the days of boars up near Harrison...haven't heard anything for years maybe they've been hunted out.

I heard that also about the boars up there ......

Trapper D
10-21-2011, 07:28 PM
i lived there as a kid , and it was years back VH but, my late stepfather said he seen them up around bear lake

bandit
10-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Might of got them out of province. Theres a few ranches in Alberta that you can hunt them on.

madrona sh
10-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Sasquatch are protected and you are NOT aloud to hunt them. Yes I'm serious.

Sitkaspruce
10-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Maybe it was these guys and the fooled the farmer into thinking they were city folks.....:mrgreen:

http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_cariboo/100milefreepress/news/130232283.html

Cheers

SS

bugler
10-21-2011, 10:43 PM
If they paid "300 a boar" they are shooting livestock, not hunting.

bear buster
10-21-2011, 11:11 PM
they got them in AB, thats all the info I got.

CanuckShooter
02-29-2012, 03:34 PM
So has anybody actually shot one?? Sorry for the high jack but apparently a certain monitor would rather dig up old threads on common subjects than starting fresh!

Any actually hammer a wild one, big tusked boar ?

300H&H
02-29-2012, 03:51 PM
I just have heard a confirmed report of a wild pig seen up towards Beaver Lake near Kelowna.

I did talk to Brian Harris in Penticton (wild life branch) and he told me "if you see a wild pig you can shoot it any time and no tag is needed just a hunting license" .

If you have any concerns just call you local CO.

rcar
02-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Sasquatch are protected and you are NOT aloud to hunt them. Yes I'm serious.

I guess so....but not to protect the "Sasquash" from hunters but to protect hunters from dimly lit clowns with guns...

BigfishCanada
02-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Alberta has wild boar farms that you can pay per pig...

Ruger4
02-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Christina lake (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/03/19/bc-christina-lake-wild-pigs.html)

seen 'em last sept standing in the shade right off the hwy just east of the quarry on the hwy (where the sheep hangout)

boxhitch
02-29-2012, 09:27 PM
I did talk to Brian Harris in Penticton (wild life branch) and he told me "if you see a wild pig you can shoot it any time and no tag is needed just a hunting license" .Wonder if that works for feral turkeys ?

moose2
03-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Some guys I used to work with did a hunt in Fairview the chops that i had off the sow were great. This info is about 7 years old so hopefully its still current.

There is a place in Fairveiw Alberta its called Razor Tooth Ranch it has Hungarian Razor Backs, was there about a year and a half a go totaly awsome ,you have a cabin right at the property,you hunt in a enclosed 1/4 section of land ,not as easy as it sounds thick bush tall grass . And yes these bores and sows are fully wild and mean .our guild on the last night was charged by a big bore that ran about 250-300 lbs. Talk about a rush would go back again if I could find the time. best time to go would be early spring or late fall . you can contact Dave Whitney Ranch owner at 780-835-4897

Hope this helps
Mike

The Dude
03-01-2012, 09:07 PM

From that article:

Some locals have been shooting the pigs. News of their prevalence has even made it to a B.C. hunting chat room, where some participants have advised others that it is illegal to hunt the pigs as long as they are considered to be “domestic animals.”

TheProvider
03-01-2012, 09:16 PM
there's normally a cple "ranches" who post in the classifieds of hunting magazines for wild boar hunting in Alberta

itsy bitsy xj
07-17-2012, 09:59 AM
There are wild pigs (boars) uo around Chistina Lake just past Grand Forks. If you do a google search there is a video from Global News about them ripping up peoples yards and chasing pets

trapperRick
05-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Shoot them all they are very destructive

jikjak
05-15-2013, 09:06 PM
just booked with silvertine in saskatchewan. they have a meat boar special going on right now. 2 people, 2days hunting, 2 100lb meat boars, food and accommodations for $825. not a bad deal, its too bad the flights to saskatoon are about $500, it seems better to get four people together and just drive down.

Ltbullken
05-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Wild pigs and feral horses... shoot 'em! They destroy habitat and push out indigenous species!

panhead
05-16-2013, 09:44 AM
North Surrey has em'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember money won’t buy you happiness but it will buy you a much better quality of unhappiness

bugler
05-16-2013, 08:00 PM
just booked with silvertine in saskatchewan. they have a meat boar special going on right now. 2 people, 2days hunting, 2 100lb meat boars, food and accommodations for $825. not a bad deal, its too bad the flights to saskatoon are about $500, it seems better to get four people together and just drive down.

That's expensive pork, about 8$ a pound hanging. Better to go to your local butcher.

RobRuger
05-16-2013, 08:34 PM
I think the only reason your not allowed to shoot a sasquatch is because there not real, so if you were attempting to shoot one, itd most likely be a person.

willyqbc
05-17-2013, 06:03 AM
there is a pig ranch in Mayerthorpe AB I believe.....just search for "hog wild" on the internet and you will find it. There is also a guide outfitter in Caroline who does both normal guiding and also runs pig and exotic goats/sheep hunt on a ranch as well. I believe that one is run by the family of the "new" mantracker.......I think the name is "savage encounters" or something like that.

Chris

proguide66
05-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Crazy , hard to imagine 'buying' ONE hog on a hunt when you can go to basically dozens of places in the U.S. and shoot the living crap outta them 24-7 ( as anyone should , lol).We 'might be' offering up affordable 'experiences' with night vision and AR's or tree stands/arrows/bullets/bumpers , spears , dogs , bricks , ect ect soon , lolol
http://youtu.be/J64PHtUkLYU

skibum
05-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Crazy , hard to imagine 'buying' ONE hog on a hunt when you can go to basically dozens of places in the U.S. and shoot the living crap outta them 24-7 ( as anyone should , lol).We 'might be' offering up affordable 'experiences' with night vision and AR's or tree stands/arrows/bullets/bumpers , spears , dogs , bricks , ect ect soon , lolol
http://youtu.be/J64PHtUkLYU

Actually it is pretty hard to find an affordable place to hunt them in the States. Farmers bitch about them, but are profit minded like anyone else.

There is no knocking on farm doors to help with a hog problem without paying for it.

Lots of propagana about the hog problem, but hunters have trouble finding a place that will let them hunt them

jikjak
05-17-2013, 02:56 PM
the $825 is for two people so its really just over $400 bucks each including meals and accommodations. i called some other places in alberta but they were much pricier. yes its easier and cheaper to go to a butcher to buy pork, but that is nowhere near as fun. its too bad they dont naturally exist around here for us to hunt though.

drivintrucks_shootinbucks
05-20-2013, 09:13 AM
I believe just west of grande prairie, in Wembley, is a place where you can hunt boars. I am still trying to find out what it is called but i was told it is archery only and $300 per pig

HarryToolips
05-20-2013, 09:20 AM
the $825 is for two people so its really just over $400 bucks each including meals and accommodations. i called some other places in alberta but they were much pricier. yes its easier and cheaper to go to a butcher to buy pork, but that is nowhere near as fun. its too bad they dont naturally exist around here for us to hunt though.
Man it would be awesome if we had a few around to blast

bugler
05-22-2013, 08:44 PM

It's a pig in a pen my friend. Shooting livestock, not hunting. If you are willing to pay for that experience give me a call in about 8 weeks. I've got 50 chickens to butcher.

jikjak
05-23-2013, 11:16 AM
i did some reading and its actually on a 60 acre preserve and they exceed SCI standards so its not simply a pig in a pen. also they are actual wild boar and not pigs that have gone feral. either way its not too pricey and its better than hanging out in the city. either way ill find out how it really is in a few months.

IronNoggin
05-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Man it would be awesome if we had a few around to blast

Be Damn Careful what you wish for! These things are like The Plague down south! I have many relatives and buddies who hunt them (also read HATE Them - as in With A Passion!). They are incredibly destructive to the habitat they take over, breed faster than rabbits, and end up imposing very serious negative consequences on the native game populations as a result. I would hate it if they were to arrive here, and do my damnest to eliminate every single one!

Cheers,
Nog

bugler
05-23-2013, 09:23 PM
60 acres, some standard. Look up "fair chase". SCI does not care about it but I believe if hunting is to remain a respectable pastime we all should all learn to hunt fair chase. Don't support these shooting farms.

Gateholio
05-24-2013, 11:57 AM
i did some reading and its actually on a 60 acre preserve and they exceed SCI standards so its not simply a pig in a pen. also they are actual wild boar and not pigs that have gone feral. either way its not too pricey and its better than hanging out in the city. either way ill find out how it really is in a few months.

I did something similar in Ontario once. Had a blast. Yes there was a fence around the whole acreage but it was a big area with marsh, dense brush, trees, some clearings and creeks. We used bows and crossbows and had lots of fun. Wasn't a cakewalk either. Not hunting in its truest sense but probably the most fun I've ever had getting pork! Much more fun than slaughtering livestock. :)

North Star
05-26-2013, 09:17 PM
My buddy in Sask has em all around his place in the Nipawin area. I think they are the Siberian razor backs. He shot a sow a few years back and walked up to it only to find a hole in the ground. He crawls in and pulls out three piglets. He raised them on his farm and they became monsters. I told him to be careful around them especially alone but he's the kinda guy who thinks he's Tarzan. One kept getting out to run with the horses so he goes out to chase it back for the 67th time and it turns on him and takes him down LOL! good thing the dogs were there to distract it. Needless to say that pig made the dinner plate soon after.

Edit, was going to add photos but this won't accept them, bummer.

REMINGTON JIM
05-26-2013, 10:16 PM
I hunted and killed a 250 Lb Wild Boar in a 160 acre fenced area with my bow . I was shooting carbon arrows with retractable 100 gr points at 315 fps and it barely went through him at 20 yards with a broad side double lung hit ! The hide was nearly 1/2 " thick - he went 150 yards after that to die ! :-D RJ

igojuone
06-04-2014, 06:43 AM
That's expensive pork, about 8$ a pound hanging. Better to go to your local butcher.

If your going to look at it based on dollar per pound you should just give up hunting, gas, licences, gear and more drives the price up real quick.