PDA

View Full Version : First Archery Bull

Tank
10-21-2011, 11:09 AM
After the success of our group's Northern BC elk hunt earlier this fall I have settled in to the idea of trying to tag an elusive white tail buck with my bow. I put in a bunch of effort over the past few weeks scouting a local property that I have permission to hunt on. After selecting what looked like a great travel corridor through the bush, I went out last Saturday and set up my stand. I had been day dreaming about a bruiser buck and contemplating what a great spot it was going to be when the rut fires up when I decided that I couldn't wait any longer and went out for my first sit on Wednesday evening. I only had a couple of hours to sit, but it would have to do.

About an hour after climbing into my stand I could hear the sound of something shuffling through the forest. The bush is pretty open in there but the sound was coming from directly behind the spruce tree I had set up in, so I couldn't see much. As the sounds got closer I could tell it was likely multiple animals. I had an arrow nocked and was getting pretty excited....after all I had an antlerless tag to burn as well....even if there wasn't a big buck on his way, there had to at least be a doe in the group....I was probably going to get a chance to shoot something!

The sounds kept getting louder as the animals moved closer....when the nearest was about 40 yrds from my stand I finally got a peek.....it was an elk! I just about fell out of my stand....the season still had 5 days to go and I had a tag in my pocket! It was a heart pounding wait to see if one of the animals would wander past the back of my stand and into a shooting lane. Finally a cow slipped past a lane at 35 yrds. Before the next animal could cross I drew and held.......a bull stepped into the lane and I gave him a whistle. He stopped for the two seconds I needed to settle my pins tight behind the shoulder. After the release there was a satisfying "thwack" and as the bull turned I could see a few inches of fletching protruding from crease behind his shoulder. The bull trotted off about 50 yrds before coming to a stop and toppling over! woo hoo!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showfull.php?photo=25146

Tank
10-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Apparently I haven't mastered my wife's MacBook.....Hopefully someone can post up the pic! Thanks

10-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Apparently I haven't mastered my wife's MacBook.....Hopefully someone can post up the pic! Thanks

send it to goatcamp@yahoo.com

BiG Boar
10-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Having the right tag at the right time! That is awesome.

jml11
10-21-2011, 01:22 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Archery_Bull_Large_.jpg (javascript:;)

fearnodeer
10-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Way to go, congrads.

10-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Fantastic first archery bull!

ThinAir
10-21-2011, 02:34 PM
You never know what's gonna walk past your stand!
Good job man, congrats!

J_T
10-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Excellent. Good Karma going your way. Displays the importance of just being out there enjoying the forest. When your at peace good things happen.

Congratulations.

LeverActionJunkie
10-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Awesome Tank! I love these archery threads! I gotta quit messing around and get me a bow for next year. Congratulations Tank.

trigger
10-21-2011, 04:10 PM
wow, what a surprise eh? thats awesome. congrats on an excellent archery bull

RoscoeP
10-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Nice going, you are getting me fired up to get out hunting with the bow. Cheers Roscoe

Tenacious Billy
10-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Very exciting! Congrats on a beauty bull!

ianwuzhere
10-21-2011, 05:16 PM
beauty-congrats- any animals with a bow is awesome!

kennyj
10-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Thats a great archery bull and an awesome story.
kenny

Tank
10-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all of positive comments. Aside from using archery tackle, one thing that really stood out about this hunt was how lonely I suddenly felt after the adrenaline wore off, just me and a many-hundred-pound bull elk in the bush! Every other elk kill I have been in on was in the company of my usual hunting crew (my dad, willyqbc and "the beast").......the next step after knocking over a bull was always to round up the team and get to work. Thankfully this bull was only a couple hundred yds from where I could get my truck.

mark
10-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Congrads, an elk with a bow is on my to-do list!