PDA

View Full Version : Elk Ivories????

rocksteady
09-18-2006, 05:25 PM
I always pull the ivories out of a bull when I get one, but here is hte question......Has anyone found a way to clean them up nicely, so tha thtey could be mounted on a necklace or such????

I was going to soak them in Peroxide to remove all of the microscopic meat etc and then throw them in my brass tumbler for a day or so....Do you think that would work???

I have like 5 old sets kicking around the garage and just never did anything with them.....

Elkhound
09-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Well I only did this once, but on a set my buddy got we polished them a little with a dremel tool and polishing wheel. Be careful not to use it alot and take too much finish off. After we ha to put on a few coats of clear nail polish which gave the tooth it's shine back as the polishing wheel took too much plaque off I guess. The we drilled a hole in the tooth and used a leather string for the necklace part. Worked out great for us, probably a better way but we didn't know what we were doing.

Ozone
09-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Rocksteady and Elkhound can you post a picture of these?

mark
09-19-2006, 10:20 AM
I just keep scraping them with a knife, then a little steel wool to polish them! Dam i forgot to pull mine this year!!!!

rocksteady
09-19-2006, 10:47 AM
For you non elk people, the ivories are the teeth in the upper jaw near the opening of the mouth.

Only bulls have them and allegedly they use these to create their bugling sound......

From one source on another site, these are a throw back to the prehistoric days when elk had tusks ????

I always pull them as a trophy momento type thing.....Its big business in the US, they mount them into rings/necklaces etc etc....

I will post some pics tomorrow..

I left mine sit in peroxide overnight and scraped the remaining meat off this morning and they look pretty good...Not sure how I am going to finish them though..Laquer/nail polish?????

brotherjack
09-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Actually, either sex should have them. Case in point - the LEH cow my wife just got had ivories (or I just pulled a couple of teeth thinking they were something they weren't - LOL)....

Rainwater
09-19-2006, 11:55 AM
I made necklaces for my boy after he shot a big bull, used a dremel with a fine brush, you don't want to take too much stuff off because if they are fresh they have a lot of character. I drilled a hole sideways to feed the rope through and then added some beads and stuff, it's kinda hippie like but they won't take them off.

farside
09-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Yep - both have ivories. Used to pull them from road kills when I was a kid.

bwhnter
09-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Clean as much meat as possible off of them and then carry them in your pants pocket with some change for a while. They will clean up really well.

Fisher-Dude
09-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Clean as much meat as possible off of them and then carry them in your pants pocket with some change for a while. They will clean up really well.

Especially if you play pocket pool. :shock: :rolleyes: