PDA

View Full Version : no nutritional value in moose meat?!

Kayte
10-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Someone just told me that there's hardly any nutritional value in moose, and that elk is far superior in every way (vitamins, minerals, etc).

personally i love moose meat, and thanks to some awesome people on here, I have a bunch of trim/bones to feed my dog. She loves it, of course, but I had always assumed that moose meat (being a naturally raised animal) would be more nutritious than beef and other "normal" (farm raised) meats.

any truth to the "low nutritional value" argument? i can't seem to find any facts to support it (other than stories and rumors).

Barracuda
10-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Someone just told me that there's hardly any nutritional value in moose, and that elk is far superior in every way (vitamins, minerals, etc).

personally i love moose meat, and thanks to some awesome people on here, I have a bunch of trim/bones to feed my dog. She loves it, of course, but I had always assumed that moose meat (being a naturally raised animal) would be more nutritious than beef and other "normal" (farm raised) meats.

any truth to the "low nutritional value" argument? i can't seem to find any facts to support it (other than stories and rumors).

this should help
I actually think moose is the most boreing game meat possible but nutrition wise it is good like most game meats

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lamb-veal-and-game-products/4642/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lamb-veal-and-game-products/4636/2

winchester284
10-21-2011, 09:20 AM
According to this link it looks like moose is more nutritional/better for you than elk.....

http://elkhunter2.tripod.com/elk_meat.html

But who knows, anything you eat will eventually kill you!

rem338win
10-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Who ever told you this was plainly uninformed and speaking out of their .....

It's very nutrient rich, and good for you in many ways.

Alpine Addict
10-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Take a moose steak, sprinkle some copenhagen on it, eat that, raw of course, then drink a mixtur of raw eggs and moose blood. You'll be flying up mountains in no time

MRBucks
10-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Sounds like they were looking at ways to decrease the competition..lol

Moose like most wild game, is very good for it's high iron content. It also contains vitamin C, and calcium. It has less fat than Elk, which maybe why some like the taste of elk better, but this means less cholesterol as well. I doubt overall that one is really less nutritious, than the other.

hntcrazy
10-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Moose is good for you so is elk ..
But I believe caribou is the one that has no nutritional value..

Barracuda
10-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Caribou ---- http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lamb-veal-and-game-products/4632/2

jml11
10-21-2011, 10:43 AM
LOL...I find this hilarious that someone would think that unprocessed MEAT of any kind has low nurtritional value...do they know what "PROTEIN" is??? Sounds like someone missed basic biology class!!

f350ps
10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Moose Elk and Beef are almost identical in nutritional value

guntech
10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Apples have no nutritional value. If that is all you ate you would soon starve.

All meat has nutritional value.

10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't know....lot's of people have lived off of moose meat and they functioned pretty well.

Weatherby Fan
10-21-2011, 11:05 AM
someone is peddling "horsehockey" organic protien,can't get much better,they probably think its a moose stamped on our quarter also !

Guntech-studdies have shown that Red Delicious apples are the healthiest of all apples to eat and the best for ones digestive system !

RJ
10-21-2011, 11:13 AM
You do need fat to survive, ie. rabbit starvation

Weatherby Fan
10-21-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't know....lot's of people have lived off of moose meat and they functioned pretty well.

Yup Moose and Deer, it was pretty much all my Dad ate when he had his farm in Vanderhoof,and he lived to a ripe old age !

moosecaller
10-21-2011, 11:39 AM
http://www.nr.gov.nl.ca/nr/agrifoods/animal/animal_health/ds_04_009_moose_tapeworm_cysts.pdf

Be very careful feeding raw wild game meat to your pet some nasties can get into them.

cloverphil
10-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I think the source is mis-informed
I have heard though that Caribou and rabbit are so low in nutritional value you could starve to death if that's all you ate. I haven't done any research to confirm this but, the stories are out there, if a person wants to take in every opinion, without checking the facts.

jml11
10-21-2011, 12:16 PM
I think the source is mis-informed
I have heard though that Caribou and rabbit are so low in nutritional value you could starve to death if that's all you ate. I haven't done any research to confirm this but, the stories are out there, if a person wants to take in every opinion, without checking the facts.

You would die eating only moose or elk meat too...While there is certainly a lot of value in all wild meat, there are certain things (carbs, sugars and other essential vitamins) meats lack that you need to get elsewhere...just ask Brock Lesner. Plus as you see, meats, especially red meats are extremely high in cholesterol (aka artery clogger)...and we all know what that means...

SimilkameenSlayer
10-21-2011, 12:18 PM
don't forget the "tasty value".

ianwuzhere
10-21-2011, 05:21 PM
haha- every meat has nutritional value-false info yer buddy gave you.. use common sense on the caribou as well...

BlacktailStalker
10-21-2011, 06:20 PM
The wolves do fine on it...

gcreek
10-21-2011, 07:28 PM
The wolves do fine on it...

Soooo, eat wolves. they've got the nutritional value of all wild game and livestock condensed into a smaller package.

LYKTOHUNT
10-21-2011, 08:05 PM
I have been eating them for years and I just keep getting fatter and fatter

Buckzilla
10-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I have been eating them for years and I just keep getting fatter and fatter

Wolves??????

gcreek
10-21-2011, 08:56 PM
They are better than grizzly or marmot but not near as tasty as roast leg of coyote.

Ltbullken
10-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Nonsense! It as nutritional as any other game meat. Whoever told you this is smoking East Koot weed!

Ironball
10-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Moose has the highest iron content. Your female partner should have moose monthly.