PDA

View Full Version : Tunkwa Lake area- not good

recon
10-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Just spent five days hunting the Tunkwa Lake area. Absolutly Beautiful country, fantastic ATV trails and perfect fall weather (no rain)... but the deer hunting sucks.

I can't remember a trip with such little sign, virtually no droppings or track to be found in such a vast area. I felt like I was trying to hunt saskwatch there. Reports from other hunters I bumbed into reported much the same. I wasn't just road hunting either in case you're wondering. I did pickup one game trail with some fresh droppings but that was it, five days!

Disapointing hunting, but a really nice place to camp.

Rob
10-21-2011, 01:09 AM
My buddy seen 7 moose in that area the other day and went home with an Immature.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-21-2011, 01:21 AM
Just spent five days hunting the Tunkwa Lake area. Absolutly Beautiful country, fantastic ATV trails and perfect fall weather (no rain)... but the deer hunting sucks.

I can't remember a trip with such little sign, virtually no droppings or track to be found in such a vast area. I felt like I was trying to hunt saskwatch there. Reports from other hunters I bumbed into reported much the same. I wasn't just road hunting either in case you're wondering. I did pickup one game trail with some fresh droppings but that was it, five days!

Disapointing hunting, but a really nice place to camp.

to many atvs may have pushed the deer back where you can not see them.

Buck
10-21-2011, 02:10 AM
I was there last week for a scout saw a nice Bull and several does.

BiG Boar
10-21-2011, 05:35 AM
Trying to keep other hunters out of your secret spot eh?! Wow, this thread just screams B&C deer that you missed and is still alive.

Aside the fact that you didn't see deer, what did you learn that you were doing wrong for next time?

Litzodd6
10-21-2011, 05:57 AM
theres tons of deer there this time year the hunting pressure is crazy tho, you gotta get off the beaten path

Weatherby Fan
10-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Trying to keep other hunters out of your secret spot eh?! Wow, this thread just screams B&C deer that you missed and is still alive.

Aside the fact that you didn't see deer, what did you learn that you were doing wrong for next time?

Good point Bigboar,one thing about hunting an area is you never stop learning and adapting,as the OP found out thats what the animals in this area do !

lovemywinchester
10-21-2011, 08:31 AM
I was at Tunkwa Lake Resort yesterday and the meat shed had 5 deer hanging in there. Mostly WT I think. They are there. All the long time hunters keep saying it has been too warm to get the big boys moving around. Same as everywhere in the much of lower BC from what I have been hearing. One friend was in Vanderhoof for a week moose hunting and another had a tag for 100 mile and both saw very little activity.

RoscoeP
10-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Check Tunkwa's hunting site out, there guests have got quite a few deer in the last few days. Was there last year and we saw 15, I believe 4 were mullies and we passed on the whitetail does. I will be leaving Sun to hunt an area not to far from there. Cheers

finngun
10-21-2011, 09:09 AM
buddy got small buck there last week,and thruth is ,no much deer anywhere near resort-- away too busy atv-s...etc, but duck hunting was good lots of cwackies

recon
10-21-2011, 09:24 AM
I heard the pressure from hunters was pretty heavy opening week and that may have pushed them deeper and harder to find. It's also very warm there right now, got up to 22 degrees mid day! I'm not a seasoned pro but I'm somewhat experienced. Just reporting what I experienced.

Man, a couple cynics here hey! (BIG BOAR) lol, chill... no need to attack, it's just a report, take from it what you will. I love reading the area reports from guys, it helps give me a read of where to go. Many guys here appreciate it, I sure do.

Good luck

Weatherby Fan
10-21-2011, 09:55 AM
recon,
I hunt an area similar to what you have mentioned where sometimes you go there and the vanishing act is on,over time and year after year things change,pressure,weather and timing,so I really have had to adapt or hunt the same area differently just as I find the deer do,
I've been told by numerous experts the deer migrate out of the area I'm hunting,not so Ive learned they just work their way over to the north side of the plateau an hold up in the thick shit and or cool drainages.I'm sure some bucks do but not all !
I was quite amazed to find a camp of guys this year only a cpl kilometers from where I hunt they had five bucks hanging on Oct 1st by noon when the bucks so Ive been told all migrate out of there lol
I don't think BB was attacking you just picking your brain,seeing if you learned anything thats all.
I have been hunting that same area for 30 years and still learning more about it every year.
WF

BigSlapper
10-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Probably time to move on to another area I guess :)

swampdonkey
10-21-2011, 04:20 PM

sounds good to me less people the better

Weatherby Fan
10-21-2011, 04:20 PM

heck no I'm Norwegian,there slow learners :mrgreen:

swampdonkey
10-21-2011, 04:23 PM
i was in the area the past week past up a couple of small bucks and seen lots of moose nothing i could shoot though

treeclimber
10-21-2011, 07:43 PM
check out google earth, much better spots to hunt , than what you can drive 2. Some people get lucky, but to take big bucks out of an area takes ALOT of hard scouting and even more boot tred , but that area tends to be better later on in the season with a bunch of snow my 2 cents

brad7
10-22-2011, 09:15 PM
I shot a two point outta there on oct 10. I love that area