PDA

View Full Version : G- Bears

brock77
10-20-2011, 08:22 PM
So.....we have a shared moose hunt for 4-22 area....we decided to hit this one area and have a look around....after seeing not much for sign in the area, it turned into a scouting for mule deer....up over a couple of ridges and have a look into this basin.....
When we see not one... not two...not three....but nine grizzlies in this basin:shock:.... all within 1000 yrds of each other..in three different slides..(1 sow 3 cubs really dark)...(1 sow 1cub really blond)....(1 sow 2 cubs silver colour)...
We watched with amazment as the third sow and cubs made their way to the creek....it was like watching national geographic...the sow was rolling around,laying on her back scrubing her belly while the cubs wrestled with each other, as we whatched through our spotting scopes....
We then decided to make our way back and ended up walking into another grizzly...100 yrds away..this one was by him/her self looked supper young maybe last years kick out......quite the outing......

cumminsforever
10-20-2011, 08:26 PM
That's weird since bears don't normally hang out together.

Weatherby Fan
10-20-2011, 08:30 PM
We ran into grizzlies everyday last time hunting in 4-22,
Thats alot of bears wow,makes a guy a little nervous at times,no wonder I pack a 300 Weatherby !
Thanks for the story
WF

bugler
10-20-2011, 08:38 PM
There is a spot in that unit where my record is 7, of which only 2 were cubs. Was just there on the weekend and saw 5, plus we could hear some growling and snarling coming from an area of heavy timber which I am sure were at least two more. The huckleberries are still pretty good in the area which is why they concentrate. I can take visitors there in the Aug/Sep and nearly always show them a Griz. Brock, perhaps you and I were in the same spot?

brock77
10-20-2011, 08:51 PM
bugler, could have been.... we passed three other vihicles on the way out.....first peak lake..... next ridge/basin over....

David Heitsman
10-20-2011, 08:59 PM
I have seen plenty of grizzlies in the roadless zone up near Quinn Creek in 4-22 when goat hunting. Must be a high density area. I carried a white tail out of there in my pack while riding a mountain bike one fall. Was really hoping to not have bear issues with my rifle fastened to my pack and pedaling on down the road!

bugler
10-20-2011, 09:01 PM
That's it, but we were all alone there on Sunday.

WKCotts
10-20-2011, 10:51 PM
I don't believe you... David Suzuki told me there are only 7 left in BC

Ruger4
10-21-2011, 06:25 AM
............and your camera was where ? geeeezzz that would of made some cool vid footage !!!

boxhitch
10-21-2011, 06:45 AM
That's weird since bears don't normally hang out together.says you.
Not weird at all to see them sharing a basin of berries or a salmon stream.
Don't let word out about the viewing opportunities or there will be more commercial traffic

Stone Sheep Steve
10-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Makes a person really wonder why we no longer have ANY spring grizzly draws in 4-22:confused:

SSS

Weatherby Fan
10-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Makes a person really wonder why we no longer have ANY spring grizzly draws in 4-22:confused:

SSS

SSS your not kidding there,why they didn't have one there this year is criminal,we would see bears everyday the last few years hunting there,didn't seem to matter where either from down on the main road to up in the alpine.
I guess we haven't had enough attacks or maulings to determine an over abundance of bears !
WF

Walking Buffalo
10-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Very cool experience.

Here in Alberta, the land of the rare "Endangered" Grizzly bear, I have seen seven at once in one valley, with five of them being boars.

This trail camera vid taken last month is from aSouthern Alberta grainbin on the prairie edge. Eleven bears in one night! Corb Lund's song "The Truth Comes Out" says it all. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/smile.gif

Alberta Grizzly Bear Herd!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In-qGZK9JSQ

doubled
10-21-2011, 12:33 PM
says you.
Not weird at all to see them sharing a basin of berries or a salmon stream.
Don't let word out about the viewing opportunities or there will be more commercial traffic

X 3. Ever see the Alaska rivers when the salmon are running???

koothunter
10-21-2011, 08:51 PM
I was in the same basin a couple weeks ago and saw 6. The blonde cub is a beauty!

mark
10-21-2011, 09:07 PM
I saw 5 in an hour, inside 500 yards of each other last year, in the alpine! Also region 4

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?56651-Recent-alpine-exp.

evhunter
10-22-2011, 08:11 AM
bugler, could have been.... we passed three other vihicles on the way out.....first peak lake..... next ridge/basin over....

Could have guessed where you were. Grizzly study of a few years back tracked grizzlies moving south through the Lizards (most likely following berries) in the fall. Some will cross back into the Elk Valley near Morrissey and disperse to den sites. Known as a "heavy" grizzly area during the fall.

.330 Dakota
10-22-2011, 08:41 AM
I don't believe you... David Suzuki told me there are only 7 left in BC

Geeez dumbass, do the math they all live right there....LOL

10-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Last week as my buddy and I were dressing his elk, we heard a loud huff and then something crashing through the bush towards us. I shot my rifle in the air and we both yelled. We then built a fire next to us before proceeding with the elk. I'm sure it was a grizzly as there were large, fresh, grizzly tracks in nearby mud. Again, region 4.

Bchunter3006
10-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Come on guys... must have been color phased black bears, because we don't have any grizzlies here in the East Kootenays...

Skull Hunter
10-22-2011, 10:19 AM
About a month ago one of the locals got some pretty good pictures of a group of 7 (2 sows 5 cubs) all feeding off the same black bear kill. The sows eventually got into a little spat, but they tolerated each other for quite a while.