PDA

View Full Version : My 1st real bull moose...

Cyrus
10-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Finally, achieved a long standing hunting goal..Was fortunate enough to get drawn 2 years in a row for bull moose. Last year ended up with the mythical spike bull (like 3 inch spikes) and had previously shot a cow a few years back....but nothing of size that made me jump up and down for joy. Last years warm fall also didn't help in finding that big bull...Anyway...Been hunting hard since the 15th...started off with cold mornings but that full moon and bright blue sky was not producing any results. In fact 4 days in covering a lot of different areas resulted in only 2 cows and a handful of does. A real disappointing start and I already had thoughts it might not happen.... Headed out yesterday morning by myself as my partner on the tag my dad was working this week. I headed to an area that I had been to but wanted to focus on a particular different area. Alarm goes off and I am a little slow to get up as the long days and minimal action was getting to me. I woke up to a dark cloudy sky and above freezing temps..but overall the 1st cloudy day and no wind to speak of....good sign I thought. Got out in the area way too early...what do I see on the road on the way out...a skunk..thinking this is a bad omen! So instead of heading to the new area I was going to try I decided to head to a nice cutblock I had checked out a few days earlier..but this time at first light.

I checked out one portion of it with no results and was contemplating whether or not to head to my new area. I decided to check one more block that looked moosey before I did so. So into this different block I went. There was a nice swamp that was tree covered in the block..I went down the road and what did I spook but a nice big buck that went darting right into the swamp..He was sure wild and didn't look back once...Being tagged out on deer kept him safe anyway..even though there was no possible shot regardless. Had a nice rack and real big body. I continued on down the road that basically circled the swamp. I'm looking right and left dead ahead and thought what a nice area for a moose to hang out. I then looked to my right on the treeline that surrounded the swamp and there it was ..a bull moose just standing on the edge. There was no question..it wasn't one of those stumps you see that looks like a moose (whicj is all I've seen really) and I could tell it wasn't a cow..as I could see the antlers hanging off the side of the head. It was somewhat broadside staring straight at me. To be honest I think the moment I saw it I stopped breathing all together.

I put the newly acquired zeiss conquest on him and aim front shoulder..about a 150 yard shot...yep I've got the fever not as steady as I usually am...no breathing to speak off...starting to shake!! I line up and boom...moose doesn't buckle no hide opens up..oh no I missed!! As excited as I was I still thought I had goot shot placement??? The moose started to run with no signs it was wounded. Instead of letting fly a hail may bullet on the run I let out 2 grunts..the bull stops dead in his tracks and looks at me broad side. Still excited I held it together long enought to take my time...maybe a breath?? and boom!! The moose piles up where he was standing...I got him!!!! His legs are kicking but no attempt from the moose to lift his head...the Browining 300 WSM did its job!! I gave it a few minutes before I approached him to ensure he was down for the count. I approached him and he was expired. I had miles of rope and and a 2 come alongs but with its size there was no way I could get it out on my own. I tied up the legs and gutted him and then headed for cell service to get another hand. By 3:30 he was skinned, quartered and into the buthcher shop. After skinning him I found the first shot did not miss. It clipped the lung and went out on an angle clipping the liver and then through the backside of the ribcage..no meat or gut damage. The second fatal shot was straight throught the middle of the neck. He had no smell and was in very nice shape. I have shot some what I consider nice deer but getting this 1st real bull was just as exciting as getting my first 2 point deer when I was 12. We still have one draw left but consider the pressure is off and the hunt a success. Will head out again on Saturday...Heres the pic, not that big monster by any means but he will do:

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac293/cyrus747/DSC00266.jpg

moosecaller
10-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Good deal makes it all worth while doesn't it, a dream some unfortunate people may never experience you will this over and over in your memories for a lifetime. You still got that smile on your face that just won't go away!

jml11
10-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Nice work on your first 'real' moose! It's fairly common for moose not to react to a kill shot, might be their size?? First moose I shot ended up with several holes in it because it showed no signs of being hit...:oops:

SimilkameenSlayer
10-20-2011, 10:18 AM
congrats!

thanks posting this thread.

:)

Rodd
10-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Really Nice Bull!! Makes me drool!! Cheers!

moose2
10-21-2011, 03:25 AM
Nice looking bull great job.
Mike

5 spike
10-21-2011, 04:07 AM
very nice. your going to be eating well this winter congrats.

fearnodeer
10-21-2011, 06:04 AM
Congrads, looks like your frezzer is gonna be full.

Ruger4
10-21-2011, 06:18 AM
good deal Cyrus , looks like a nice healthy lookin bull to , congrats , I'll gladly take one of those mythical 3" spiker bulls your speaking of !!!! :mrgreen:

4 point
10-21-2011, 08:35 AM
I think I new that bull. I certainly can relate to the suroundings. Good job. Maybe one day I'll get a tag.