PDA

View Full Version : Your hunting Cabins!

Bromley
10-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Hey there HBC'ers!

My brothers and I are currently in the process of buying a half acre parcel up in region 3 and are on a very tight budget! We are all pretty good with our hands and are looking at building our own cabin, with our own hands on the property! Its a dream of ours to hunt out of our own property in a cabin we built ourselves! I have drawn up lots of plans and such, and done a ton of research on the web but was wondering if any of you guys out there had any experience or plans that involve building a cabin on a budget? Cant wait to see some of your ideas and experiences, and GO HBC GO!

BromBones
10-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Any decent timber on the place?

Log cabin is a cheap way to go. Lots of work involved, but other than gas & oil for your chainsaw you wont have much for expenses if it's just a basic shack.

Glenny
10-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Maybe just plunk a trailer on there till the budget is a little more flexible.

.300WSMImpact!
10-19-2011, 08:51 PM
kit log homes are cost affective, then with a simple roof

blackford
10-19-2011, 08:58 PM
When you say limited budget, how much we talking

madrona sh
10-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Can you drive to the cabin sight?
I am going to be building a cabin In a remote spot with no drive to access. The cabin will be made of logs that are saddle notched with a torchdown roof.
The boards for the floor, loft etc. will be milled with an Alaskan mill on site.
Windows and hardware will be packed in.

Bromley
10-19-2011, 09:38 PM
BromBones: (wiked name btw): Yes we would have to clear a lot of it actually, I have no experience in that craftsmanship so i am not to sure what would be of quality!

Blackford: ohhhhh were talking like 12 g's at the outside? - leaving ends open to add to later - if you know what i mean!

.330WSMIMPACT - do you have any tried and true?

BIGGlenny - thats what my old man said to - (weird how older smarter people all think the same ;) ) but its not exactly what we want to do you know? young stubborn boys- yeshhhhh

Madrona SH - thats EXACTLY another dream of mine butt for the time being yes we can drive there with a full flat deck of lumber type thing

Bromley
10-19-2011, 09:41 PM
So far i have been thinking a 24 x16 ish ? green tin rough through some nice horizontal beige siding on it? a wood stove, loft for sleeping area, porch, a bathroom? (pending on buying one of those waterless toilets?) and a little kitchen, I would run a small solar system (Canadian tire version for minor electronics) and some propane for utilities. through some tile down for the woodstove and maybe carpet in the loft and laminate flooring the rest? I tossed around the idea of that nice cedar T&G interior siding? Again all ideas fabricated in my head and essentially leave the inside to be upgraded later!

Thanks everyone for giving so much interest!

bridger
10-19-2011, 09:48 PM
i bought a square log package 16x18 from rustico log homes in fort st john around $6,000 for the wall package total cost with floor truss package, roof trusses, metal roof and soffits fully insulated, windows, lino on the floor around $12,500 complete easy to assemble

Bromley
10-19-2011, 09:58 PM
i bought a square log package 16x18 from rustico log homes in fort st john around $6,000 for the wall package total cost with floor truss package, roof trusses, metal roof and soffits fully insulated, windows, lino on the floor around $12,500 complete easy to assemble

thanks bridger i couldnt find them online, any suggestions?

tanker
10-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Ajia.ca good budjet quick to put up!! great people

worked there in summer really neat designs or make your own

Bromley
10-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Ajia.ca good budjet quick to put up!! great people

worked there in summer really neat designs or make your own

those plans are kinda nice but very expensive!

tanker
10-19-2011, 10:45 PM
ya after posting i liooked at them hahaa sorry but there great! well built worth the money for sure but a budjet is a butjet

MuleyMadness
10-19-2011, 11:29 PM
So far i have been thinking a 24 x16 ish ? green tin rough through some nice horizontal beige siding on it? a wood stove, loft for sleeping area, porch, a bathroom? (pending on buying one of those waterless toilets?) and a little kitchen, I would run a small solar system (Canadian tire version for minor electronics) and some propane for utilities. through some tile down for the woodstove and maybe carpet in the loft and laminate flooring the rest? I tossed around the idea of that nice cedar T&G interior siding? Again all ideas fabricated in my head and essentially leave the inside to be upgraded later!

Thanks everyone for giving so much interest!

I don't know it it meets your needs, but the Home Depot in Kamloops has a Cabin (it's built, but would be split I assume to ship), at full lock up (not finished inside) with roofing, vinyl windows, smart trim/hardi plank and the like on their lot. They were offering delivery within 100KM of the store included in the price...the asking? Went from $28500 a little bit ago to $12000...it might be well worth your time, and certainly useable as a cabin as is, and you could finish it at your leisure. I'd be tempted for a hunting cabin but I prefer to camp out and check out new areas too much still.

Jagermeister
10-19-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't know it it meets your needs, but the Home Depot in Kamloops has a Cabin (it's built, but would be split I assume to ship), at full lock up (not finished inside) with roofing, vinyl windows, smart trim/hardi plank and the like on their lot. They were offering delivery within 100KM of the store included in the price...the asking? Went from $28500 a little bit ago to $12000...it might be well worth your time, and certainly useable as a cabin as is, and you could finish it at your leisure. I'd be tempted for a hunting cabin but I prefer to camp out and check out new areas too much still.I have seen this one. It is a nice unit. Maybe I will go buy it and look for a spot to put it on.

3kills
10-20-2011, 12:06 AM
jager when u find that spot dont forget ur buddies eh LOL

bridger
10-20-2011, 05:35 AM
will get some contact info for you next day or so

Brew
10-20-2011, 07:04 AM
Google Container homes and you will get thousands of ideas on how to build a home out of containers. The containers are not to expensive and I am pretty sure there is a place somewhere in the interior or the coast that sells all the things you will need to make the mods. Or check out the plans for the cottage on this site
http://gracie-senseandsimplicity.blogspot.com/2011/05/shipping-container-homes-6-inspiring.html

.300WSMImpact!
10-20-2011, 07:23 AM
northern log and timber, lots of log options and built 6 or 7 of them, very easy to put together and cost affective

Bromley
10-20-2011, 10:04 AM
I don't know it it meets your needs, but the Home Depot in Kamloops has a Cabin (it's built, but would be split I assume to ship), at full lock up (not finished inside) with roofing, vinyl windows, smart trim/hardi plank and the like on their lot. They were offering delivery within 100KM of the store included in the price...the asking? Went from $28500 a little bit ago to $12000...it might be well worth your time, and certainly useable as a cabin as is, and you could finish it at your leisure. I'd be tempted for a hunting cabin but I prefer to camp out and check out new areas too much still.

wow that sounds great do you know the approx dimensions?

Brew
10-20-2011, 10:33 AM
They have the same one at the coquitlam home depot as well. It's nice and would be a great buy for sure.

swampdonkey
10-21-2011, 08:29 AM
i bought one of those cabin from home depot in kamloops it is through a company called winton global they are in prince george great company to deal with i am happy with mine they delivery to your property and you put together its like a big puzzle where abputs in region 3 you may have to put in septic unless you are under 600 sq feet and say it is for storage good luck

MuleyMadness
10-21-2011, 09:32 AM
wow that sounds great do you know the approx dimensions?

I will be by there today and will get the info for you. Off the top of my head I'm thinking 24x30 ish with a second half level/loft in an A Frame style. PM me your email so I can send you any other relevant info.

FirePower
10-21-2011, 09:44 AM
My friend just built a "carport" like afair with a sloped roof that he could pull his 5th wheel under. After a couple of years he built an addition beside it with a roof sloaping the other way to form a peak. It was insolated with a wood stove, he sealed the doorway between the trailer and addition with an old foam mattres with the middle cut out. Over time he finished the addition, then he pulled out the 5th wheel and walled in the "carport" and worked to finish that. He now, 5 years latter has a fully finished 24 x 32 cabin no huge outlay at one time.

MuleyMadness
10-21-2011, 01:41 PM
I will be by there today and will get the info for you. Off the top of my head I'm thinking 24x30 ish with a second half level/loft in an A Frame style. PM me your email so I can send you any other relevant info.

Sorry man...sold

Jagermeister
10-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Sorry man...sold:mrgreen: I told you.

Jagermeister
10-21-2011, 02:32 PM
jager when u find that spot dont forget ur buddies eh LOLAww shucks, damm awlful kind of my buddies to volunteer so readily. LOL:wink:

KB90
10-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Google Container homes and you will get thousands of ideas on how to build a home out of containers. The containers are not to expensive and I am pretty sure there is a place somewhere in the interior or the coast that sells all the things you will need to make the mods. Or check out the plans for the cottage on this site
http://gracie-senseandsimplicity.blogspot.com/2011/05/shipping-container-homes-6-inspiring.html

My mind is blown!

Too cool! I had never thought of this before

Jagermeister
10-21-2011, 02:52 PM
My mind is blown!

Too cool! I had never thought of this beforeHey! Shouldn't you be on the job or looking for one instead of surfing.

Twig-Chaser
10-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Lake Country Log homes is a good option!!
http://www.lakecountrylog.com/gallery.php

This is actully our family company, but dont think we can compete with a Container for a home.

Jamie

MuleyMadness
10-21-2011, 03:01 PM
:mrgreen: I told you.

Very nice...I'm sure that will make a FANTASTIC hunting/rec cabin. Screams lake view or on a bluff overlooking some nice country, at least to me, with that A frame and the nice little porch on front.

Jagermeister
10-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Very nice...I'm sure that will make a FANTASTIC hunting/rec cabin. Screams lake view or on a bluff overlooking some nice country, at least to me, with that A frame and the nice little porch on front.Well, actually, I am pulling your legs. I would have bought it had I a place to hide it, but alas, I don't. But I am thinking that someone that was reading this thread thought he should hustle down and snag it before someone else beat him to the punch. Probably was heavily thinking about it as it truly was a great deal. You should ask HD for a commission on the sale MuleyMadness.

Trapper D
10-22-2011, 08:15 PM
I dont know where your location is going to be , or what exactly your needing , but before you purchase something, maybe have a look through bc bid government auction site, as they always have cheap atcos and trailers, ex classrooms, also saw a post and beam park rangers house , going for next to nothing, and i mean cheap cheap. i get auto emailed daily by them and ive seen some nice packages recently.

Bromley
10-23-2011, 01:14 PM
I dont know where your location is going to be , or what exactly your needing , but before you purchase something, maybe have a look through bc bid government auction site, as they always have cheap atcos and trailers, ex classrooms, also saw a post and beam park rangers house , going for next to nothing, and i mean cheap cheap. i get auto emailed daily by them and ive seen some nice packages recently.

Wow thank you that is some nice information I am going to look into it

wildcatter
10-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Trapper D,

Can you post the government auction site or PM me please.
Thanks

srupp
10-23-2011, 02:43 PM
A buddy of mine ..a logger...bought a surplus used ATCO trailer... it had a roof, doors and window..and the inside needed much TLC..he totally redid it...and it was a very very inexpensive proposition...

Trapper D has a good inexpensive idea...

Srr

MuleyMadness
10-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Trapper D,

Can you post the government auction site or PM me please.
Thanks

http://www.pss.gov.bc.ca/air/bc-auction.html
http://www.pss.gov.bc.ca/air/

Slinky Pickle
10-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Closes in 5 hours.... :)

https://www.bcauction.ca/open.dll/showDisplayDocument?sessionID=25876232&disID=6349373&docType=Tender&dis_version_nos=0&doc_search_by=Tend&docTypeQual=TN

wildcatter
10-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the links guy, much appreciated.

Trapper D
10-23-2011, 07:55 PM
thanks guys for link, was out in the bush, sign in and become a member on bc bid the it gets sent auto to email. i must have looked at dozen units on there since kids went back to school.

Jagermeister
11-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Here's a link to a set of FREE cabin plans. Might work for you.
http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/extension/ExtPubs/Plans/6013.pdf

Bromley
11-13-2011, 07:52 PM
wow thanks for all the ideas guys! looking through them and budgeting plans to try and make something work!

Cdn-Redneck
11-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Buddy built one in region 3, there are a lot of hoops to jump thru to do it right. They are very picky for plans and septic systems. He got away with just putting it up. Looks good but if a neighbour turns you in it is back to stage one. here are the Homedepot units. i think display units are the Caledonia plan.
http://www.norpineproducts.com/plan_designs/index.php

Bromley
03-29-2012, 12:09 PM
hey great information guys really appreciate it! The property I wanted got yanked out from under me!!! haha ..... but i found a new one!! yaaaaa!

just doing some research and I am thinking the same plan but i would like to put a bathroom in...nothing crazy and electricity anyone have ideas for rough qoutes on the pricing of this?

BUMP BUMP

Thanks guy,

Bromer :D

bridger
03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
our bathroom, well, and septic system was about $13,000 with a lot of volunteer labor. well was the big cost about $8500, but it is worth it.

300WM
03-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Give me a shout at my office and we can chat. I've helped a few members out already.

Trevor Tatarczuk
Winton Global Homes/Norpine Cottages
1-888-296-8059

Bromley
03-29-2012, 07:05 PM
300wm i will phone tomorrow thank you!

bridger wow! Expensive!

FaulderFreedomFighter
03-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Check these guys out:
http://www.bufflumber.ca/photoalbum.html (http://http://www.bufflumber.ca/photoalbum.html)

They produce a "D" Log. Pretty easy to put together. Just like lego!