PDA

View Full Version : Keeping warm

.300WSMImpact!
10-19-2011, 08:34 PM
With winter closing in and the upcoming rut close, for the people that sit in a tree stand how do you keep warm and stay in the stand for longer periods of time?

Schutzen
10-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Layers is one way.
A snowmobile suit works well with snow pack type boots. Got to have a good cover (Toque, hat) warm gloves or mitts. If your prone to get wind gusts at the stand then some type of wind breaker style outerwear will help.

new hunter
10-19-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't know about tree stands in november , but I've been sitting out in cuts way too early out here in the whistler pembie area .
Although theyre nothing to completely relly on , I've found that those heat pads {same as the charcoal glove warmers } have helped quite abit . Just remember to bring lots of them , although they will last the whole day , you will want to put a few under your jacket and pants .
Although I don't intend on hunting from a blind or stand any more , I would not go out with the intent of sitting still without packing a few of them .

RayHill
10-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Stanfield's heavy weight 80% - 100% wool long underwear then layers of flees long shirts, bib coveralls, heavy jacket, wool gloves, neck warmer, good boots, wool official on field baseball cap, and your good to go.

Phreddy
10-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Blonde, Brunette, or red head (I'm not prejudiced), & a sleeping bag. In a treestand it's sort of like trying to stand on your head in a canoe or hammock.

longstonec
10-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Stanfield's heavy weight 80% - 100% wool long underwear then layers of flees long shirts, bib coveralls, heavy jacket, wool gloves, neck warmer, good boots, wool official on field baseball cap, and your good to go.

And they make a one piece. be damned if marks carried them

notellyridge
10-19-2011, 09:50 PM
i hunt in alberta in late november every year and sit on fence lines/ treestands/ hillsides etc...it can get crazy cold. layer up and take ur time getting into ur spot to avoid breaking a sweat. also burry urself in snow (like ur legs) if possible and cold enough, its a great insulater. (thats if ur on the ground) .... the longer u sit during the rut, the better chance of a big buck

Trapper D
10-19-2011, 10:12 PM
apparently cook with bear fat, or eat the cracklins, as its known to regulate body temperature.

buck nash
10-19-2011, 10:39 PM
A good layer of blubber helps.

After that its synthetic fibres against my skin, fleece and/or wool insulating layer/s and an outer shell to shed the rain and as a wind-break.

I always carry a spare pair of socks in my day pack and usually change mid day. If I hunted from a stand that I had to hike a ways to get to it, I'd probably change socks when I got to it. Hiking in your socks compresses their fibres (more so in wool then synthetics), so having a nice fluffy fresh pair is gonna make a world of difference to your feet thus your over-all body heat.

Just what ever you do, stay away from cotton.

Casagrande
10-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Jagermeister. And more Jagermeister. Sometimes I fall out of the stand though.

boxhitch
10-20-2011, 06:08 AM
I see that Canadian Tire sale next week has some overboots to fit over your hunting boots. Will have to check these for quality
NEOS makes a good overboot , can be added once you arrive on stand.
For my setup I need to hunt in with light gear to keep the sweat down and then add the bulk once on stand.

Ruger4
10-20-2011, 06:51 AM
hot shots are a great addition to your backpack as well , the peel and stick ones we sometimes put on the kids feet in the winter work great , they're thin and will keep you in the stand a couple more hours in -20 waiting for that ''trail cam beast'' !!! Thermos of hot something is always nice and as boxhitch said , I usually bulk up once I get settled in my stand as well

gbear
10-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Hot shots in your boots, and in your gloves help a lot. Layers like everyone says. Also, as another perosn pointed out, I have to dress light for the hike in, but once I get to within a couple hundred yards of my stand, I start adding the bulk and walk slow from there so I don't work up a sweat. Another trick I tried last year, and will continue is the heater buddy. But, my stand has a plateform big enough to place a ground blind on it, so I have a wind break as well. I've also thought about one of those heater body suits.

Wrayzer
10-20-2011, 07:09 AM
I usually use a ground blind in novemeber when theres a decent amount of snow, I just layer up, hand warmers in my boots and gloves, hunker down and wait. Usually too cold to make any movements so I stay pretty still, had a spiker whitetail within 5 yards of me last Nov, let him walk, but not before standing up and giving a BOO, never knew deer could crap themselves mid-air.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Most important this is to layer-down before you hike into your stand. Get sweated-up before climbing into your and you'll be lucky to last the day.

I prefer to be in a tree (especially for archery) but last yr I tried a pop-up blind with a Coleman catalytic heater, lawn chair and a blanket. Temps were in the -20 to -15C range. Light the heater and put it under your chair and drape a blanket over you and you'll be perfectly cozy.

SSS

markt308
10-20-2011, 09:15 AM
a heater in the stand is very nice. cut a hole in the bottm big enought for the propane bottle to fit through, but small enough for the heater to get hung up, then wear what looks like a big skirt that covers your whole bottom half. then kick back and feel the warmth. keeps you in the stand a lot longer. also these heaters are quiet and scent doesnt seem to be an issue.

IronNoggin
10-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Back in the day, Cabelas used to offer an Extreme Cold Weather Goose Down Coverall. Heavy, certainly. Warmer than anything else I have ever worn. Coupled with Sorel's heaviest winter boots (rated to minus 70!) gloves & gauntlets (with hand warmers) and layered up underneath, I could handle temperatures in the Arctic most would find downright Frightening! :-D

Used this set-up widely in the Arctic, and Alberta. Packed in the coveralls on my back in the latter location. Under those, wore HH poly's and a layer of synthetic sweats.

Final tip from the Inuit: Feed up on a generous amount of SEAL meat, and ensure you gobble down a generous portion of the FAT. Like turning on an internal furnace! Really! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

Bow Walker
10-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Yes, layers is the way to go - along with those hand warmer things.

Key is to not wear layers that are too tight. Your body heat needs to be able to heat up layers of clothes along with layers of trapped air - that's what keeps a person warm.

warnniklz
10-20-2011, 12:12 PM
A good layer of blubber helps.

After that its synthetic fibres against my skin, fleece and/or wool insulating layer/s and an outer shell to shed the rain and as a wind-break.

I always carry a spare pair of socks in my day pack and usually change mid day. If I hunted from a stand that I had to hike a ways to get to it, I'd probably change socks when I got to it. Hiking in your socks compresses their fibres (more so in wool then synthetics), so having a nice fluffy fresh pair is gonna make a world of difference to your feet thus your over-all body heat.

Just what ever you do, stay away from cotton.

So all the sheep hunters that have shed all the pounds for sheep season are screwed??

Staying dry is key here. If you're on the ground and able to collect some boughs and make a nice little nest to sit on. That helps.

srupp
10-20-2011, 12:14 PM
hmmm good info..off to Alberta for late Nov Whitetail hunt...I like the Cabelas ewac underwear system...then fllece..then windbreakers then camo white over,,,neck gaiter..insulated face camo..and a cap..plus the hood from my Cabelas Whitetail winter coat..boots are rated to - 100..

gloves are regular with leather overgloves..

I too will be using a ground blind..with a Buddy propane heater under the chair on LOW..

should do the trick...hey its only 10 hrs a day of hunting..oh ya pee bottle...

steven:-D

MattTse
10-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Ahh! Pee bottle!! Why didn't I think of that!

srupp
10-20-2011, 01:35 PM
yes I use the baby aspirin bottle...lasts all day..and I dont touch the glass sides...

steven