PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail does?

mikeman20
10-19-2011, 06:59 PM
I figure this has probably been asked before but the search didnt turn up anything useful.
I live in the lower mainland and want to bag a whitetail doe, i already took a 2 point mulie so i dont feel the need for more antlers, just more meat!

ill probably be going alone as an overnight trip but can anyone suggest a general area? i have never hunted whitetails before (this is my 3rd year hunting) and i really have no idea where to go.

pretty much all i know is they dont hang out where mulies do.

coach
10-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Actually, there are many areas where both species co-exist. Some areas, such as the top of the Okanagan connector hold whitetails early in the season, but they migrate out when the snow flies. Your best bet would be to travel through Oosoyoos to the Rock Creek or Grand Forks area.

aliagha
10-19-2011, 07:33 PM
most of region 8 will get you a white tail doe. Princeton would be the closest place, then there is Penticton, summerland, Christian valley, all the way to Christina lake and further through out region 4.

Deer_Slayer
10-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Depending where you are at I would try region 4 unit 34 or 35 there is an antlerless season there.

Deer_Slayer
10-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Is there a realistic huntable population of whitetail near Princeton?

SimilkameenSlayer
10-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Is there a realistic huntable population of whitetail near Princeton?

yes, try the red creek area.

huntwriter
10-19-2011, 08:07 PM
pretty much all i know is they dont hang out where mulies do.

Yes they do. The ranch I hunt has both species and they always hang out together. I've seen mule deer and whitetail deer together on crown land too. Last year I've seen a bachelor groups of mule deer bucks hanging out with two whitetail bucks.

3kills
10-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Depending where you are at I would try region 4 unit 34 or 35 there is an antlerless season there.

being that he is from the lower mainland i dont see him drivin that far for a white tail doe. there is white tails just about everywhere i hunt around merritt here. some are a lil harder to find thats all. i shot a buck a few years ago and when i was talkin to a local hunter here that was very knowledgeable with the area i was hunting he told me there was no white tails in the area i got mine, i told him he better tell that to the white tail buck i shot cuz they are there now.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
yes, white tale and mulies do hang out.

mikeman20
10-19-2011, 08:29 PM
thanks for all the help guys, i figure i might plan a trip up to princeton and look around the red creek area like similkameen slayer said, since i hunt around tulameen with my girlfriends family - maybe i will even be able to crash in the cabin for a night.
if not, rock creek i think would be my next choice.

aggiehunter
10-19-2011, 08:33 PM
I love shitty advice.....go east young man.

358mag
10-19-2011, 08:41 PM
I love shitty advice.....go east young man.
How far east old wise one

coach
10-19-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm pretty sure Rock creek is east of the lower rainland.

Fisher-Dude
10-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Just make sure you don't shoot aggie's doe in Princeton. It's his, after all.

Head further east and shoot 358's doe. He's more generous than aggie. :wink:

aggiehunter
10-20-2011, 01:59 PM
I didn't even know there was a WT in Princeton...hope the Princtitutes don't get the last one...what I meant was head east..I spent all last Saturday right up to 60 K in the Christian Valley...saw 2 WT Does...so theres lots there....have fun.

walks with deer
10-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Rock creek is crawling with whitetail

Hint don't drive to far off highway and get out of the truck.

coach
10-20-2011, 02:55 PM
I didn't even know there was a WT in Princeton...hope the Princtitutes don't get the last one...what I meant was head east..I spent all last Saturday right up to 60 K in the Christian Valley...saw 2 WT Does...so theres lots there....have fun.

How far east, old wise one? You can't accuse us of giving shitty advice then give this poor guy none of your own.

aliagha
10-20-2011, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=walks with deer;1000257]Rock creek is crawling with white tails

And hunters!

nwalter
10-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Well if you are going for a trip not just to shoot a doe, Grab your trailer haul it up to Beaver Lake in Winfield do some fishing in the lakes up there and take a doe while you are up there. Took my wife up there on first day of antlerless cause there is a ton of them in around there. Very healthy looking too and a decent size.
Just a note you will need to go to the other side of the lake though which is easy enough