PDA

View Full Version : 4 point Muley Strategies in November

whitespringer
10-19-2011, 04:48 PM
As October winds down and any buck comes to an end in some regions, we will be targeting 4 point muleys during the rut. Lets hear your favorite strategies, tips etc. for dropping a big boy in the chilly month of November.:-D

SHAKER
10-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Can't shoot deer if theirs tree's in the way!:wink::wink:

I hunt high and ugly places where few travel.

Brian011
10-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Look for areas with lots of does around and once the rut starts there will be a big buck close by. Some bucks get stupid but most of the bigger older bucks still have their senses and are still hard to find. If you see a bunch of does, watch their actions cause they will give the bucks away sometime by looking towards them if they are back in the bush.

.300WSMImpact!
10-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Look for areas with lots of does around and once the rut starts there will be a big buck close by. Some bucks get stupid but most of the bigger older bucks still have their senses and are still hard to find. If you see a bunch of does, watch their actions cause they will give the bucks away sometime by looking towards them if they are back in the bush.

x2, i always this time of year find the does, then I wait for the big boys to come

MuleyMadness
10-19-2011, 07:52 PM
x2, i always this time of year find the does, then I wait for the big boys to come

As well, when you DO see a buck, be it a small buck or a smaller 4 point, ignore it and really start looking for the big boys (especially during the rut)...often times he will be there, just hanging back seeing how things are going to shake out, and if stepping into that open area was a good, and safe idea. Think of the smaller bucks as point men for the big boys....can help make it easier to locale big Louie.

whitespringer
10-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Great feedback. How about rattling? Is there a time of day that is better? Early morning, mid day, evening?

Bchunter3006
10-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Watch Sesame Street to practice my counting, go out and find deer, find bucks, apply my counting(I stop at 4), and if I like him, he comes home with me :D

aggiehunter
10-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Drive around until you see at rut crazed buck chasing does in a clearcut...get out...and shoot it...the more miles you put on the better...it's really not that hard.

358mag
10-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Drive around until you see at rut crazed buck chasing does in a clearcut...get out...and shoot it...the more miles you put on the better...it's really not that hard.
Think you took a page right out of Fisher-Dude book on Deer Hunting BC

todbartell
10-19-2011, 08:38 PM
I like to hunt the timber, preferably in an inconsistent, swirling wind. That's what I usually do. No big buck pics yet

Bchunter3006
10-19-2011, 08:41 PM
I like to hunt the timber, preferably in an inconsistent, swirling wind. That's what I usually do. No big buck pics yet

Same here.. but who shoots big ones? They're easier to hit. I prefer the small ones... more of a challenge.

longstonec
10-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Same here.. but who shoots big ones? They're easier to hit. I prefer the small ones... more of a challenge.

Its true! x2

dana
10-19-2011, 09:21 PM
One of my strategies is to look for fresh hawg tracks and then dog them all day. If my 300 win mag bullet can fit in the track both length ways and width ways, chances are he's worth following.

Weatherby Fan
10-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Well it's not rocket science,find an area that holds some doe's,and go to work !

I like to hike in off the beaten path where there's less pressure,pay attention to the doe's feeding patterns and the bucks will be there sooner or later.

I know a cpl of guy's that hunt around Merrit that work the same tactic as dana,find a big track and walk him into submission ! they have had great success with that.
Depends on the weather conditions also,nice if you have 4 or 5 inches of fresh snow to work with and it makes walking pretty quiet,but 3 inches of crusty frozen shit makes it near impossible to sneak up on them !

One area we hunt has some awesome but very steep open south facing breaks and always hold a few bucks,soon as they're pressured they retreat into the thick stuff on top,so you have to adapt to whatever the bucks are doing.

markt308
10-20-2011, 09:28 AM
I go to areas that I know hold good numbers of deer and I know the chances of other hnters being there are slim. Then I find a good spot and sit. Once the does come out I get excited cuz I know the bucks are not far behind. For me theres nothing cooler than watching deer when they have no idea your there..

Rodd
10-20-2011, 09:45 AM
I like to hunt the timbered ridges far above where the concentrations of Does are... I try and hike as high as I can in the morning hours while the wind is coming down to the top of a timbered ridge where their is a little flat spots, I find the Bucks like to bed in these locations, then still hunt my way down with the wind in my face, while zig zagging back and forth across the hillside... Found some prettty big boys with this approach.... don't always get a great shot, or any shot sometimes, but move slow... slow, and it'll help... Good luck to all the Rut hunters out there!!

LYKTOHUNT
10-20-2011, 09:55 AM
As well, when you DO see a buck, be it a small buck or a smaller 4 point, ignore it and really start looking for the big boys (especially during the rut)...often times he will be there, just hanging back seeing how things are going to shake out, and if stepping into that open area was a good, and safe idea. Think of the smaller bucks as point men for the big boys....can help make it easier to locale big Louie.
Will rattling work around this time in certain areas

Rodd
10-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Hopefully end up with one of these.... Both these bucks were taken 400yds apart, in consecutive years... In the Koot's. One is 32inches wide and the other is 33inches.... Something to hope for this year guys!! They are out there, just tough to locate, and kill...LOL enjoy
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd395/rodd5/ArtsDeersmall-1.jpg
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd395/rodd5/76297_498482735347_688740347_7079286_954559_n-1.jpg

Weatherby Fan
10-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Will rattling work around this time in certain areas

I have tried this several times and have had one 3 point approach me,not to much success with it over the years.

Weatherby Fan
10-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Hopefully end up with one of these.... Both these bucks were taken 400yds apart, in consecutive years... In the Koot's. One is 32inches wide and the other is 33inches.... Something to hope for this year guys!! They are out there, just tough to locate, and kill...LOL enjoy
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd395/rodd5/ArtsDeersmall-1.jpg
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd395/rodd5/76297_498482735347_688740347_7079286_954559_n-1.jpg

Awesome Deer Rodd,and yes thats what were after !
Thanks for sharing
WF

SimilkameenSlayer
10-20-2011, 10:15 AM
find the areas that are more conducive for rutting ... does, more open forest, away from man made sound and noise, not to exposed to the wind.

not an absolute but general pointers.

coach
10-20-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm already done in R3 and R8, but I've got a nice spot picked out to hunt with my camera in November. Same strategy as a lot of others - locate the does and the bucks will be close by.

whitespringer
10-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Great to get some tips from the legends of HBC. Thanks to all and all the best in November.

dana
10-20-2011, 08:48 PM
I've found rattling to be too inconsistant for muleys, especially when it comes to mature bucks. But I've found rakin' and burpin' to work like a hot damn. I carry a shed antler and beat trees and brush with it and burp as I still hunt. I've jumped big bucks and had them turn around ears pinned back, spittin' mad, ready to fight because of my burping and raking. Really good way to deal with crunchy snow conditions. Walk and talk like a buck on the prowl. The size of the antler does indeed matter. A big buck will not come in to the sound of a small antler crashin the brush. Big antlers have a Big sound. You need to get them to think you are another dominate buck not a runt that they could care less about.

Weatherby Fan
10-20-2011, 09:14 PM
I've found rattling to be too inconsistant for muleys, especially when it comes to mature bucks. But I've found rakin' and burpin' to work like a hot damn. I carry a shed antler and beat trees and brush with it and burp as I still hunt. I've jumped big bucks and had them turn around ears pinned back, spittin' mad, ready to fight because of my burping and raking. Really good way to deal with crunchy snow conditions. Walk and talk like a buck on the prowl. The size of the antler does indeed matter. A big buck will not come in to the sound of a small antler crashin the brush. Big antlers have a Big sound. You need to get them to think you are another dominate buck not a runt that they could care less about.

Funny you should mention raking as I was just reading thats one of the main attractants for mature bucks duriing the rut,they rake than listen for a response,I know the burping or grunting works well with them also.
I usually still hunt mostly with the crusty snow,but will give that a try also.
Thanks for the tips.
WF

358mag
10-20-2011, 09:19 PM
One of my strategies is to look for fresh hawg tracks and then dog them all day. If my 300 win mag bullet can fit in the track both length ways and width ways, chances are he's worth following.
Dont have a 300 Win Mag just a 300 Win Short Mag will that work too Grand Mulie Deer Pooba ????

horshur
10-20-2011, 09:47 PM
it is elementary.It helps if you have at least four digits.

Mountain Hunter
10-20-2011, 10:06 PM

Those are great deer Rodd!

How far apart in the season were they? First one looks like the first snows of the year, maybe late October, but the second looks like warm sunny September. Do you think these deer would be in the same areas come November when the rut hits full swing or drop to the lower timber/cutblcoks?

Davey Crockett
10-20-2011, 11:24 PM
If you bump into a little buck, don't write him off. They will often be so focussed that they will allow you to follow and take you straight into the doe group. They provide cover noise and may also get the big boy's attention for you. This is exactly how I took a dandy last year.

Rodd
10-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Those are great deer Rodd!

How far apart in the season were they? First one looks like the first snows of the year, maybe late October, but the second looks like warm sunny September. Do you think these deer would be in the same areas come November when the rut hits full swing or drop to the lower timber/cutblcoks?
Your right Mountain hunter! Both these bucks were taken in Sept... one sept. 18th and the otheraround the 15th... Had a freak snow squall on the first one... But it is the same area I hunt during the Rut! Its about 1500m in elevation.. Mid range I suppose... And these deer will hang in this area until the snow drives them out... They can, and do go for tours during the night, right down to 900m in search of hot does, but return daily to their hiding hole... Best be hunting bedding areas during the rut... For the big ones...! It is my opinion that the big guys visit the Does during the night, and only if a hot doe is found will they make a mistake and stay with the does for any time during daylight, otherwise they leave, and head back to their bedding area... Thats why you usually see the smaller bucks harassing the does during the day... Cuz thats when the Big Guy usually isn't around to run them off.... Just a theory folks! But one i believe in...

blindcast
10-21-2011, 05:04 PM
If you take what todbartell, MuleyMadness and Brian011 suggested and dovetail it into one package, you'll be going home with a muley this Nov. No fail.

Weatherby Fan
10-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Your right Mountain hunter! Both these bucks were taken in Sept... one sept. 18th and the otheraround the 15th... Had a freak snow squall on the first one... But it is the same area I hunt during the Rut! Its about 1500m in elevation.. Mid range I suppose... And these deer will hang in this area until the snow drives them out... They can, and do go for tours during the night, right down to 900m in search of hot does, but return daily to their hiding hole... Best be hunting bedding areas during the rut... For the big ones...! It is my opinion that the big guys visit the Does during the night, and only if a hot doe is found will they make a mistake and stay with the does for any time during daylight, otherwise they leave, and head back to their bedding area... Thats why you usually see the smaller bucks harassing the does during the day... Cuz thats when the Big Guy usually isn't around to run them off.... Just a theory folks! But one i believe in...

I think your right on with your thoughts about the bigger bucks rutting at night and retreating to their bedding areas by day and rarely get caught out of the cover of darkness.
WF