PDA

View Full Version : Advise on wall tents/Looking for a wall tent

moosinaround
10-19-2011, 02:12 PM
I am looking for opinions on wall tents, AND I am looking to purchase one also. Any info is appreciated. I will do a search also, but let me know what to look for who to use ect.

Thanks, Moosinaround

SimilkameenSlayer
10-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&section=1261&section2=1436&ID=964

have one with a wood stove, it's excellent simple to set up and not to heavy for the size, the nylon does not breath as well as cotton duck, but there is a lot of ventilation and with a wood stove this tent works out extremely well. highly recommend !

cheers

specbelly
10-19-2011, 02:27 PM
I saw one of the Alaknak set up this fall, nice tents but still perfer my wall tent. I have a norsman that I have had since mid 90s and it has been awesome. With the wood stove going and windy and cold out we are warm as toast (until the fire goes out). Easy set up even without a frame, just need 7 or 8 good pecker poles and alway tie the ridge pole to a tree to held hold it down in windy conditions.

Phil A. Bowl
10-19-2011, 02:32 PM
x2 for the alaknak stayed in a friends a few times. Cheap,easy up and down(we put it up in under twenty mins) huge,not canvas,just a good allround tent,and you get to go to Cabelas.

laredo318
10-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Strongly suggest going for a wall tent with an internal frame. There is a sponsor on here that sells them. We have a 14x16, with a 8 foot porch. It is 5' at the edge, inside. It takes an hourish for 2 guys to set up, but it is like having a portable cabin. For quick 2-3 day hunts, fishing trips etc, it is a lot of work. If you are planning on spending a week or so...it is th $hit.

Wild Images
10-19-2011, 05:47 PM
http://www.deluxewalltents.com/

BCBRAD
10-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Check Reliable Tent in Billings Montana. We have a Glacier tent and a yellowstone tent from them, I will never go back to a wall tent the glacier tent is the best, we have been into canvas and wood stoves way over 25yrs. I have a range tent I will let go it is 17'x17'x14' tall and quick to put up. I'm in PG so pm me if interested in such

ultramafic
10-19-2011, 06:48 PM
I second the internal frame and angle kit for your tent when you get it. I personally would tell my hunting partner to leave the damned thing at home if we had to go cut "poles" for it at every camp.

Using one of these things kind of implies that you will likely be able to drive to your camp spot so the extra weight and space should not be a huge issue.

Also be sure of where you are going to camp cause its a bit of a chore to take everything down if you wanna move.

I also like the stove jack on the side wall or end wall. Seems to me to be the best option if you want to tarp your tent for extra water resistance.

Also would suggest getting the largest tent you are considering if not larger cause the space seems to eat up rather quick with cots and such.

Get a heavy tarp or something for your floor too, makes it feel more homey.

mike

Woodrow
10-19-2011, 09:15 PM
if you do get a wall tent make sure you get one with 5 foot walls.

moose2
10-20-2011, 12:33 AM
http://www.deluxewalltents.com/

We bought one in the spring and love it , we went with a 12 x 14 with a custom 7' enclosed front porch that we use as a kitchen all with an internal frame. It works great tables and stoves on one side dry storage on the other. It keeps moisture caused from cooking out of main tent and allows for more sleeping room this way. It also puts a door between the cooking and sleeping area in the event of a furry visitor shows up. Perry from deluxe wall tents was very helpful and made the tent exactly how we wanted it. We couldn't be happier with the idea of the enclosed porch. I will get some pictures this weekend and post them. The tent and frame is very quick to set up and the poles all came color coded to save time as well. I don't think you can go wrong with these tents or this company.
Mike

todbartell
10-20-2011, 12:40 AM
5 foot walls is a must. 14x17 is good for 4 guys, 5 in a pinch. 10x12 is nice for 2, maybe 3 guys.

Gunsmoke
10-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Canvas Tent Shop Canada

Great folks from Utah who have a distribution depot in Castlegar, BC. Very friendly and helpful. Great website with lots of tips, advice and instructions; especially useful for first-time buyers.

slowkey
10-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Me and my hunting buddy split the cost a 14x16 wall tent with 5 foot walls. found it on craigslist cheap and it was brand new.

Only thing that takes some learning is working your stove. How to dampen depending on the quality of wood your using

Fullcurled4point
10-20-2011, 06:18 PM
montana tarp and tipi buddy best deals goin and wayyy stronger canvas then cabelas

ryanhuntslots
10-20-2011, 07:49 PM
You'll be happy with awall tent Mike, -32 last year and we were toasty in side. keep in mind that it's a heavy tent, so dont get some tiny little tin stove, its not like your going to back pack it in to some distant valley. those little stoves will throw heat but dont hold it. build or buy a big stove that holds lots of wood. you will be liking it at 3 in the morning when its still warm in your tent.

dabber
10-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Our hunting party bought a new wall tent last season with the aluminum internal frame and it is great.We bought some extra poles this year and covered it with a tarp and it extended our cooking area. We marked the different length poles with coloured tape and it helps take the guess work out when setting up.

David Heitsman
10-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I have a 16 X 14 with 6' walls. It's vinyl and I got it from Alpha Tent and Awning in Burnaby. They used to run a booth at the BC Hunting Show. I prefer vinyl as it is 100 percent waterproof, no need for a fly. The poles are aluminium and it takes two of us an hour to get it up, the floor laid down, (5 sheets of particle board) and the stove and kitchen pantry set up. The tent is around 100# and the poles must be another 50 so this is a truck camp set up. I also had 7 PVC windows installed to bring in natural lighting. It's actually a bit big for the two of us but once set up it's pretty nice. I have been a week of -20 in the Churn and been toasty the whole time. Take a look at Cylinder Stoves online as that is what I use. You can cook right on the top with no warping in the last 10 seasons of use.

This was a replacement for a 10 X 12 X 5 tent that I had for years. The 5 foot walls made it faster to heat up but more awkward to walk near the eaves. The poles would fit in a short box pickup with the tailgate closed however and that was why I spec'd the 5' drops.
The smaller tent was an easier one man job too where as the big one is quite a bit tougher to handle alone, especially in heavy winds.

On both tents I shockcorded the joints and colour coded the poles to facilitate faster one man set up. Otherwise as mentioned with 4 different lengths of poles it can be a guessing game and then you'll wonder why the tent is longer at one side than the other!

REMINGTON JIM
10-20-2011, 09:29 PM
if you do get a wall tent make sure you get one with 5 foot walls.

WHY ?? :confused:

Fixit
10-20-2011, 09:43 PM
for its price i dont think you can beat a costco 10x12 tent
totally dry.

just need to cut the legs down on the internal frame 12" to eliminate the gap at the floor, and then cut a hole for a stove jack. sleeps 6 on cots if needed with a woodstove at the end