PDA

View Full Version : whipsaw

russm
10-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Hey,I'm going to head up to princeton tomorrow night after work to hunt mulies around whipsaw only problem is I can't find it in the backroads book,I don't know if its my eyes getting old or 1 too many smokes ;),anyways wondering if I could get some help,also any mulie pointers you have would be nice.thanks

dabat
10-19-2011, 01:34 PM
about 11 km west of Princeton

BearStump
10-19-2011, 01:44 PM
it is in the backroads map book. but it is in the kamloops/okanogan book not the southwest bc one. It is on maps 1 and 9.

russm
10-19-2011, 01:59 PM
O ok I was looking in the thompson okanagan book

aliagha
10-19-2011, 03:10 PM
I assume you will going from vancouver side through the crow highway hwy 3 to Princeton. Whipsaw creek is about 10 to 12 km before the town of Princeton. look for the sign board, i think its right after sunday creek. its a good area for mule deer hunting, personally I only saw muley does last year but a friend just got a 2 pt from there, last weekend. I have also heard about good bear and elk hunting up there but it might be too late for elk as the season closes tomorrow. nevertheless, its a good place to look for Deer. its steep country, it would be better if you had a quad or you can just walk the narrow quad trails.

russm
10-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Ok I've also been told sunday creek and china creek are good areas to look,I wanna be fairly high up for mulies right?I don't need a trophy just something tasty.

Deer_Slayer
10-13-2013, 11:42 PM
hey dont waste your time. This area is complete shite. Just spent 5 days hiking, this area. Started over at Whipsaw-Garrison, to Lamonte and down into Tulameen. We hunted hard every goddam day and I am not lying. We saw NOTHING as far as big game. Time and time only thing spotted was ****ing cows. This area is wiped out of deer, elk, moose, bear. You will be hard pressed to find droppings, tracks, rubs etc. Avoid it like the plaque and dont believe the bullshitters on here who tell you it is a good hunting destination.

Weatherby Fan
10-13-2013, 11:50 PM
hey dont waste your time. This area is complete shite. Just spent 5 days hiking, this area. Started over at Whipsaw-Garrison, to Lamonte and down into Tulameen. We hunted hard every goddam day and I am not lying. We saw NOTHING as far as big game. Time and time only thing spotted was ****ing cows. This area is wiped out of deer, elk, moose, bear. You will be hard pressed to find droppings, tracks, rubs etc. Avoid it like the plaque and dont believe the bullshitters on here who tell you it is a good hunting destination.

Just curious......how long you been hunting for ?

Machinist
10-14-2013, 11:28 AM
I used to hunt the Whipsaw exclusively back in the 70 's through the early 90's and it was one of the best places around for big muleys , we have even taken a few Elk outa there in the past, There was very little of it logged off back then, the Whipsaw road was a goat trail and the Season was open till the end of November, The last time I was in there was 92 and the loggers raped the place , since then the deer numbers really declined in the area and the season is really short , Its really a shame , I still hear stories of guys getting deer outa there but mostly I hear of hunters seeing little to no sign in there , Too bad it was a great hunting hole.

olympia
10-14-2013, 11:42 AM
I was just in tulameen a month ago and saw 2 old bear scats and that's it, I saw 5 does standing next to the highway by coalmont as I was leaving and heading home. I was there for 2 days and saw no deer tracks, shot one grouse, 2 scats, a guy with a flat tire who I had to teach how to use his jack, other hunters blocking a road, and heard lots of cows.

*your experience may vary

sapper
10-15-2013, 09:55 AM
I was there for 2 days and saw no deer tracks, shot one grouse, 2 scats, a guy with a flat tire who I had to teach how to use his jack, other hunters blocking a road, and heard lots of cows.
Hmm, reminds me of a joke.
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down and orders a sandwich. After he finishes eating the sandwich, the panda pulls out a gun and shoots the waiter, and then stands up to go. "Hey!" shouts the manager. "Where are you going? You just shot my waiter and you didn't pay for your sandwich!"

The panda yells back at the manager, "Hey man, I am a PANDA! Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and sees the following definition for panda: "A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterised by distinct black and white colouring. Eats shoots and leaves." :)

BobbyV
10-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Was up there last year as Lamont road was my fave for three years. Suddenly no sign of anything but cattle. Went in to town and asked around. Apparently the whole Whipsaw was hunted by the local First Nations band. From what the lady at the hunting shop told me they pulled out anything that moved in the area. Don't know if it's true or not. All i know was my spot went from looking like a paddock full of deer ( does and fawns every 15 minutes) to not even a single grouse or ground squirrel. Gotta be something to it. Red Creek area should still be all ok still. Jura should be ok now too. Hit copper mountain last year and nothing. Same with sunday summit though. Come to think of it. I have seen nothing other than the resident townie does the last 2 years.