PDA

View Full Version : Our Hunting Year So Far

Spuddge
10-19-2011, 01:29 PM
After last year’s success (3 moose in 6 days!) we were understandably excited about our annual moose hunt. Of course we’re always excited about getting out of the city and spending time in the bush. So after months of preparing, and sleepless nights with visions of the big hunt we were finally there. This year turned out to be completely different, we just weren’t seeing the animals! My honey hole, where we had harvested 4 moose in the last 3 years was barren, except for a small black bear that seemed completely indifferent to my presence. We hunted hard for 2 weeks and only managed to see cows, lots of cows and calves, the bulls were nowhere to be found. I’ve never seen so many wolves in one trip, a total of 7 and lots of wolf sign everywhere. Disappointed but not unhappy, the day to leave arrived all too fast, so we decided to give it one last go before packing up and heading back to the city. Well wouldn’t you know it we finally found one, there would be meat in the freezer after all! Couldn’t have ended the trip better, finally after 2 weeks, a moose! But that’s the way hunting goes, a bad day hunting is better than a good day working.

Here’s the moose.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0229.JPG

Did I mention my buddy also had a grizzly draw? So the trip wasn’t without excitement before we got the moose. I think it was the 4th night, he was sitting in a tree stand and a grizzly showed up and bluff charged, one shot and a quick follow up and he was down. The taxidermist measured him at 7 feet, big melon on him.

Here’s the grizzly.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0221.JPG

I don’t have pictures but we also managed to get a black bear, so we have loads of pepperoni!

Our deer hunt was the opposite, 5 guys = 5 deer! 2 deer taken on opening day, both 2 points and then 2 more on day 3, a 2 point and a spiker and I was left with no tag cut until day 6. I was getting worried because I wasn’t seeing the deer where I’d harvested them in previous years! Well it was worth the wait, I ended up getting my first 4 point, he was just standing in a clearing at about 50 yards, not a giant (dressed out at 143 lbs) but my biggest deer to date.

Here he is.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMGA0036.JPG

Rodd
10-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Congrats!! Nice animals there!! thanks for sharing your hunt! That moose looks yummy!!!

aliagha
10-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Great hunting so far!!! and good luck for the rest of the season!

ALI

SHAKER
10-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Good stuff! Looks like the freezers should be getting near the brim.

ianwuzhere
10-19-2011, 05:26 PM
looks like a great season- beauty lookin bear too,, congrats- thanx for postin pix!

BCHunterTV
10-19-2011, 05:28 PM
looks like a good hunt for sure!

coach
10-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Congrats on a very successful start to the year.

kennyj
10-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Great year so far. Keep up the good work.
kenny

notellyridge
10-19-2011, 10:08 PM
nice werk!!!! nice grizz too!!!

gcreek
10-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Nice work. How many wolves did you get?

Spuddge
10-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Nice work. How many wolves did you get?

Didn't take any, probably should have but I was concentrating primarily on getting a moose.

Woodpile
10-20-2011, 10:34 AM
That was a tough trip. Getting up at just after 4am each morning and not really stopping until after 9pm for 13 days is hard. I needed a vacation after that.

buck nash
10-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Sounds like you had a blast. And a nice deer for sure. All that waiting just makes for a more exciting kill. It's way better then tagging out in your first day or two then being camp bi+ch for the rest of the trip.

gcreek
10-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Didn't take any, probably should have but I was concentrating primarily on getting a moose.

Do you realize that one wolf needs the equivalant of about 10 moose per year to survive? Hope you can go back next year and get another moose.

Wolves don't cook up well.

Spuddge
10-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Do you realize that one wolf needs the equivalant of about 10 moose per year to survive? Hope you can go back next year and get another moose.

Wolves don't cook up well.

Thanks for the stats gcreek, but I think I'll continue to make my own choices.

whitetailsheds
10-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Hey Spuddge...thanks for posting. Were you in the same area as last year? We camped where you were at, and drew a blank. Out of our 7 day, hunt we saw only 3 cows and 2 bulls that didn't make the cut.....in the last 8 years of hunting there, we would average 5-6 moose a day!!! Even the wolves were not there this year....this despite morning and evening interaction with them every day..... the last 2 years!!!! She was a weird, quiet camp this year!

Spuddge
10-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Hey Spuddge...thanks for posting. Were you in the same area as last year? We camped where you were at, and drew a blank. Out of our 7 day hunt we saw only 3 cows and 2 bulls that didn't make the cut.....in the last 8 years of hunting there, we would average 5-6 moose a day!!! Even the wolves were not there this year....this despite morning and evening interaction with them every day..... the last 2 years!!!! She was a weird, quite camp this year!

We were at the next camp down the road, definitely a tough year. It seems that everyone up there was experiencing the same thing, not alot of animals around. Oh well still good times, at least you didn't have to travel for 16 hours to get skunked! We'll be there next year again and see how it goes. Cheers.

ncurrie
10-21-2011, 08:08 AM
great job! you have had a awesome year so far!