PDA

View Full Version : how do u cook /prepare your goose

wsm
10-19-2011, 10:21 AM
i am going to go duck hunting for the first time with a friend (probably wont get anything)but if i do. i haven't a clue how to cook goose , but can cook ducks , any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
wsm

warnniklz
10-19-2011, 10:29 AM
breast them out and toss in the slow cooker with onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, poultry herbs and spices and whatever you may like. Turn on in the morning before work. Come home and it'll be done.

Save the rest of the goose for pepperoni or sausage.

I know there's a lot of other ways, but I find this the easiest.

behemoth
10-19-2011, 02:05 PM
This way is time consuming but it serves like a 5 star meal

Breast one out, lay the breasts on the counter and cover with saran wrap. Beat them flat with a rolling pin or what have you. lay a piece of ham and a slice of swiss cheese (subsititute the ham and cheese for whaterver meats and cheese you like)

roll up the breasts chicken cordon bleu style, dip in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.

Bake in the oven at 350 for 30 - 40 mins, serve with veggies and rice

This is how I got the family to gain a taste for geese it worked pretty good

sapper
10-19-2011, 03:08 PM
I've been told on more than one occasion that I've cooked my goose. I'm not really sure how I went about and I actually think my technique was not the best as the individuals telling me didn't seem too happy about it. ;-)

Jordo
10-19-2011, 06:22 PM
It makes great jerky.

Lillypuff
10-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Find the co worker you do not like and give it too him. I have tried on 2 seperate occasions and it is horrible tasting. This being said I shot them in Northern Alberta on the fields, I assume this was there first stop on the way south. I was with 2 CO s and they did not want them either.

Sprig
10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Cube the breasts or into strips and put on skewers , marinade in your favorite and put into the vacuum sealer and freeze. Cook on the BBQ and you would never know mine are duck or goose.

longstonec
10-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Snow goose or Canada?

bigshooter
10-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Cowichan valley goose/duck

Take 1 large goose stomp 1 large mud hole insert 1 goose cover with mud.

Funny that goose/duck season is at the same time as the salmon spawn.

SavageShooter
10-19-2011, 09:37 PM
If you only get on or two, one of the tastiest things I have done is slightly freeze the breasts, slice about a 1/4" thick, marinate in teryaki sauce for 12 hours. Then grill on the bbq for just a couple of minutes per side. Eat with rice, you will think you are eating the tenderest beef ever.

SS

Tanya
10-20-2011, 05:59 AM
There are many ways..
1) brine in a soya sauce based brine overnight, rinse, pat dry. Roast in the oven for about 45min. at 400F. Let rest for 10 minutes, then carve off the breasts. The legs will be still chewy, but tasty nevertheless.

2) separate the breast meast (skin on) and the legs. Package the legs (skinless) for use in a slow cooking method - bbq, curry, whatever your pleasure.
The breast can be scored, seasoned and seared (skin side down) in a heavy ovenproof frying pan, turned back over skin side up and finished in a 400F oven until medium rare or medium - don't overcook, takes about 20 minutes depending on the size.

3) skin the breast, split horizontally and pound as behemoth above suggested. Dip in seasoned flour, mayo and dijon mustard slurry, then in crumbs and cook in a hot pan like a veal cutlet or chicken fried steak. Keep warm in a low oven and make gravy out of the drippings. Also, this method can be used and then if you like aspargus, top the cutlet with cooked, drained aspargus spears and swiss cheese, heating in the oven until the cheese melts.

4) bone it all out, bag and grind with pork trim to make patties. Or, bone out and take to your favorite sausage maker.

That should keep you experimenting for a spell. Enjoy.

wsm
10-20-2011, 09:12 AM
canada goose hopefully. if i can bag 1