PDA

View Full Version : Road into air strip gate zone B bison hunt

Brett
10-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Hey guys just wondering what this road is like , winter conditions ect. Will a couple PG boys make it in with a diesel truck, camper and trailer end of Nov? Or should the camper stay at home?

Thanks ladies and gents

bushmonkey4
10-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Good all weather road up to the gate

pinofire
10-18-2011, 11:38 PM
I was there a couple yrs ago road was not plowed the day we went in. Bring chains and you will be fine. Other guys had big trailers and campers and were ok.

BiG Boar
10-19-2011, 06:17 AM
Usually plowed to the gate, but I would bring chains 100%. There is a hill, and when it freezes it is slick sometimes. A guy who was heading to the hospital, towing a trailer last December, started sliding backwards and off the road, from there it was a 15Km hike out to the highway, and a $300 tow bill. With chains it wouldnt have been an issue though.

ultramafic
10-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Definitely have at least one pair of good chains and make sure they are the real chain type not the cable type cause you may have difficulties in getting back up that hill if it ices over. The hill is pretty long and quite steep, it also has a couple of bends in it so you cant simply get a "run" at it.

mike

Mik
10-19-2011, 08:06 AM
It all depends on the snow, (is it wet or powder?). We were in there a few years ago and the snow came down, lots of it and it was wet. We made it halfway up the hill with chains and then ended up unloading the quad trailer to make it up the rest of the way.

Brett
10-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys!

tomahawk
10-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Go prepared with a good set of V Bar chains (preferrably for all 4 wheels). I have been in that road on 4 Bison draws at the end of Nov. Once it was almost bare with a few patchs of ice and easy going, twice it has been very slick (lots of guys will go there unprepared and slide all over, chewing up the road and getting stuck) and once the east side going in towards the airstrip was totally chewed up and 3 units were stuck on the hill.

Within the last few years there has been members go without chains and they had to camp before the hill and run there machines the extra KMs everyday.