PDA

View Full Version : MU 4-6 Cow Elk Draw

M.Dean
10-18-2011, 07:46 PM
I was talking to a Buddy a few days ago, he's going on a Cow Elk hunt next week in MU 4-6, I told him I'd check and see if anyone here knows if you have to hunt Private Land, or is there lots of Crown Land where they should try? This guy is stoked about this hunt, he got his first Deer last fall and a big Black Bear a few weeks back. So, if anyone could even give this guy a general idea where they can start, or where they should be looking it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, M.Dean

steepNdeep
10-18-2011, 08:48 PM
When I first started hunting & only hunted with a bow I had that late season draw. It was a bow-only hunt - basically to drive the herds away from the farmers hay stockpiles. They would come down to the valley at night to raid his stash. It was mostly a private land hunt. Get him to call the CO in the area & get the names of some farmers that want their 'pests' removed. They are usually pretty helpful. Good luck.

M.Dean
10-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks steepNdeep, I'll give him a call.

jtred
10-19-2011, 07:03 PM
I had that draw for November last year and I was successful in taking a cow up on Arrow mtn(locally known as Goat mtn) . It is accessed off the Arrowcreek- Lakeview rd onto Foster rd which turns into a FSR. West Creston Valley can be hunted 1 km up the mountain (just make sure you know your boundaries and where you are) access is from Dodge creek FSR. The Creston Valley Wildlife Management Area(CVWMA) can be hunted as well but has a no vehicle access restriction so if you hunt there be prepared to hike, bike, canoe or boat your animal out. Permits are required to hunt this area and cost 10$ at the local service BC center here in Creston. There are a couple of no hunting ares within the CVWMA so be sure they give you the map and check it over. I've accessed this area on foot from the Corn Crk marsh end and from the Summit Crk area. I've also canoed into the area around 6-Mile slough and Leach Lake , accessing it from the west dikes on Duck lake, really tall grasslands on that end. A shotgun and a migratory bird license would be a good idea since your into some pretty good duck and geese hunting around there. Duck Lake has a healthy population of bass and perch also, so if you get bored of hunting you could try the fishing. The Gerard Rainbows in Kootenay Lake will start getting more active now and they put up a great fight.
As for private land hunting checking with the CO's is a good idea, they are really helpful down-to-earth guys and may be able to help you out. One thing though is that there have been a lot of problems in the valley (especially W. Creston) with 'hunters' shooting where they have no business shooting, trespassing, tearing down fences, and becoming very aggressive with the local farmers when the farmer is hesitant to give access. Please if you do get access don't screw it up. It is getting really hard to get access in certain areas now so follow whatever rules the farmer the sets out. Good luck and enjoy our wonderful valley. I've got the draw for November again this year so I hope it works out as well as last year.