PDA

View Full Version : Late Moose hunt 5-02 C . Strategy??

Clouddog
10-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Hi All

My girlfriend and & I are planning a late bull moose hunt in region 5-02C. We have a cabin arranged at horsefly lake and will be there for 4 days Nov 10-13th.

I heard several people have taken moose out of this area early October this year, however, I am not sure what my strategy should be or where I should go for mid November. I understand that bulls will be bunkered down resting and eating... but where and when ?

** Advise, locations and recommendations are really appreciated.

BTW _ I just joined this forum. It is my favorite location on the 'net. Love this place. Thanks to the admins!

rifleman
10-18-2011, 04:34 PM
find the FOOD & water. try around the rivers into Quesnel lake. good luck

cdub
10-22-2011, 10:15 AM
We have taken moose in the Jaques lake whiffle lake area, and have seen a couple very large bulls out crooked lake area. Also out hen ingram

hunterdon
10-22-2011, 11:45 AM
I've not hunted in your particular area, I have on many occasions, hunted just south of that.(5.02A). Irregardless, of the area, late moose hunting requires different strategies. During the warm season, in areas with lots of swamps, lakes creeks etc. they feed much of the time on aquatic plants. You probably know that. After freeze up, usually November onward, moose will change their diet dramatically. They are then predominantly browsers. If there are creeks, you will probably find willow growing along side. They love to feed on willow. Check the willow branch tips for sign of feeding moose.If the area has lots of large poplar, they also feed on the bark. Look for large scrapes (visible teeth marks) on the tress. They also browse a variety of shrubs. Deer being shorter will show browsing much lower to the ground. Browsed tips much higher, obviously is a sign of moose in the area. Moose will also browse lower if necessary. Apart from the obvious and sometimes not so obvious tracks, with all that in mind, as you walk through the woods, you should be able to determine if there are moose in your area, or if you should move on to somewhere else. Finally, if you find good feed and good sign, you shouldn't have to go too far since moose during this time don't move too much as they are trying to survive winter by conserving calories. They will bed down not far from the feeding area.
Good luck!

srupp
10-22-2011, 11:47 AM
very good informnitive and accuirate info.. where abouts is the cabin??..

steven

Clouddog
10-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Thank you hunter don!! Much appreciated. Steven the cabin is at horsefly lake. Counting my days now.

Philcott
10-22-2011, 04:12 PM
All I have to add is try to give yourself a bit more time 4 days is pretty short an amount of time to go into an area and locate moose. It can be done but it sometimes takes 4 days to just find where you want to hunt.

Good luck and happy hunting.

srupp
10-22-2011, 04:18 PM
hmmmm which side of Horsefly lake...the 2,800 mile shoreline takes in a lot of areas..lol..the area indicated by member 'CDUB"..is very good info...Whiffle, Jaques, Keno, Hen Ingram all posess willow growth used for these late season feed in's...the first minutes of day break are great times to catch bulls sunning themselves...if cold enough its actually a great sight to see a bull standing on the edge of the timber with frost on his back...one area that especially has GREAT season moose for your alloted time space is VIEWLAND MTN..however being @ work I dont have access to what its MU is???but any of the side hill cutblocks..bordering on creeks will have moose..lowerdown with the willow is the feed..as has been said find the food the moose will NOT be far away... takes a fair bit of browsing to put away 40 pounds of grub..

If not pushed bulls will feed early in the am..they usually will change Times of feeding rather than change locations..ie turn nocturnal... but that first bit in the am and last bit in the evening is a great time to find em chowing down.

Look for "trails" through the morning frost as they are moving from feeding locations to bedding locations..or if snow is present check for trails..

Once 10 am or so has come and gone try working inside the tree lines..for bull will bed down on the points "jutting out " into swamps and openings..with the advantage of going left or right form that bedding location..or styraight back away from danger coming through the open meadow..or if from behind accross the meadow..work with the wind coming into your face..use your binos loook ahead..the bulls will be in the first 20 feet or so from the edge....best for defense..smell ,sight and sound..

cheers and good luck

Steven

brielle&steven
10-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi All

My girlfriend and & I are planning a late bull moose hunt in region 5-02C. We have a cabin arranged at horsefly lake and will be there for 4 days Nov 10-13th.

I heard several people have taken moose out of this area early October this year, however, I am not sure what my strategy should be or where I should go for mid November. I understand that bulls will be bunkered down resting and eating... but where and when ?

** Advise, locations and recommendations are really appreciated.

BTW _ I just joined this forum. It is my favorite location on the 'net. Love this place. Thanks to the admins!

Everything east of horsefly up in around keno lake, hen ingram or crooked is 5-2b and 5-15??, Even horsefly lake is out of 5-2c i thought, cause horsefly (town) is the boudry and then striaght out to mitchell bay and then south to lac la hache is what is shows in the synopsis for leh. Maybe i am reading it wrong but our moose draw was 5-2c and as far as i could see on the map east of horsefly was 5-2b and 5-15.

hunterdon
10-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Your welcome clouddog. I really liked Srupp's advice. Pay particular attention to his last 2 paragraphs. Once you determine if the area shows promise (by finding sufficient sign of moose), follow his advice on actually tracking a moose to his bedding area. As he mentioned, if the moose are not pushed/pursued much, your best chance to see a moose feeding or walking is EARLY light or just before dark. All to often that is not the case. Chances are then, you will have to FIND the moose. Follow his strategy and you've got a good chance. Normally this time of year moose do not respond well to calling. Except it be a cow separated from her calf. Bulls are usually not very responsive at this time of year as the rut is long gone. That being said, if you know how to call even a simple moose call, it may come in handy if you spook a bull out of it's bed. If that's happens, quickly do a short call to get his attention diverted temporarily, while at the same time readying your rifle for the shot. It may give you a chance to hold the moose for a shot before he takes off running.

Safe hunting and shoot straight!! Don

Weatherby Fan
10-23-2011, 12:39 AM
awesome info you guys,thanks for posting,we have 3 any bull tags for 3-30A in November looking forward to filling one of them at the very least !
WF

srupp
10-23-2011, 07:51 AM
sorry I never checked the MU boundries...and again being at work....

The advice on how to deal with moose at this time of year ..it got COLD last night HEAVY frost..exactly what you want..is sound..just besure of then MU area...

once ya get a general idea of the area send me a PM and I will send some ideas along..

cheers
Steven

srupp
10-23-2011, 10:42 AM
I have always enjoyed the calling of moose and hearing the bulls grunting as they come into a call..either like a freight train or like a brown ghost..but there is a challenge to sneaking slowly just inside the treeline.., seeing the trail through the frost in a meadow of a moose wandering through...just knowing he has now headed back to bed down,,,you will find beds..sometimes lots of beds that very short distance just inside the treeline...the dryer ground..the safety amongst the trees..breaking the wind from their 26" of combined ear length allowing them to hear danger..sometimes with a fallen tree to help conceal them just behind them...

Once you see a few of these Nov. bedding areas...it gets pretty 'easy" to size up where the areas are to go slowley through...finding them before their senses pick you up..

Calling for a momentary distraction to "get that one second extra" for a good first shot is a good idea..but asa rule they are now concentrating on food, having depleted their resources stored..from Sept and Oct rutting...

I have on occasion got on a fresh track, that indicated by stride length, how splayed the hoof was and lack of any dirt just underneath the small skiff of snow , as well a slight "meandering" trail that the bull had recently went though here..as well we also knew the direction of travel (duh)..and so got off to one side of the trail 20 feet or so..far away that we were off his trail but still close enough to see it clearly..then just slowly walked the bull down...always glassing as far forward as was possible..eventually if the sun doesnt melt them out those tracks will result in a bull standing in them,,or bedded down..go slow they dont travel far from food..its all about caloric surplus..putting on weight not just weight retention...

Fresh trails are usually easy to discern..and highly advisable to follow...long strides with widely splayed hoof markes deeply inbedded in the earth with dirt kicked up in a fairly straight line even jumping small blow downs aare the sure signs of a startled disrupted moose, the deep hock marks indicating the stress and weight on those massive feet...and they will run..for a bit and if they feel they are not being followed..they will usually walk two times as far as they have run...they are into safety..not nedless expendature of prescious resources...

Tracks it has been said make poor soup...however they do tell you that a moose was in them....and relativley accuratley when, what he /she was doing..and is a very good start..

cheers
Steven

Ltbullken
10-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Look for good feed (10 yr old +/- cut block) next to good cover in moist areas. Find a spot where you see sign of lots of fresh browsing (look for willows and young maples) and cow call. Essentially you are in the late 2nd rut time period and some unimpregnated cows will still be calling. Bulls will come to it, though not as hot as they would as in the Sept/Oct. Bulls are mostly looking to hold up for winter and want to feed in quiet areas. Good luck!

cdub
10-23-2011, 12:38 PM
look for shrubs and trees that appear to have had a mower go by at about 4 feet with fresh cuts. Typically slashes at first light.

Clouddog
10-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Everything east of horsefly up in around keno lake, hen ingram or crooked is 5-2b and 5-15??, Even horsefly lake is out of 5-2c i thought, cause horsefly (town) is the boudry and then striaght out to mitchell bay and then south to lac la hache is what is shows in the synopsis for leh. Maybe i am reading it wrong but our moose draw was 5-2c and as far as i could see on the map east of horsefly was 5-2b and 5-15.

I will be staying at friends cabin 19 k east Horsefly, north side of the lake on Cougar road. Would prefer to camp in the heart of the MU 5.02c however, Christine is not very eager to camp this time of the year. Promised her a travel trailer next year.... so the shopping begins! I am familiar with the area and hunted the area before so I am orientated with region.

Do you also have a moose draw for the same MU?

Clouddog
10-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Thank everyone for your input . Now planning the details on the trip..... little bit of luck we have a story and pics to post!

brad

Clouddog
10-24-2011, 10:36 PM
All I have to add is try to give yourself a bit more time 4 days is pretty short an amount of time to go into an area and locate moose. It can be done but it sometimes takes 4 days to just find where you want to hunt.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks . Going to take some extra days and make it a week.