PDA

View Full Version : hunting with "one in the chamber".

SimilkameenSlayer
10-18-2011, 01:32 PM
i used to hunt with one in the chamber and safety on, but now i don't bother with chambering a round. i changed my mind because safety is more important than a half second it take me to chamber a round.

how about you?

mikeboehm
10-18-2011, 01:36 PM
My sako 7mm-08 hold 5 in the clip and 1 in the chamber. I always leave the chamber clear when walking if im sitting in a blind i have 1 in the chamber with the safety on

Mikey Rafiki
10-18-2011, 01:41 PM
If I am walking alone in easy terrain I don't have a problem with having one in there with the safety on.

In rough terrain I have had the safety switched off on my .308, but it has a pretty loosey goosey switch. So I keep them in the clip until I am in a safer area.

My .325 has a good stiff safety hidden under the back of the scope, so I don't mind keeping one in there. A grizzly bear can close the distance from 10 yards pretty quickly in half a second. Plus, who wants a feeding problem in that situation?

604redneck
10-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Depending on my location on the planet I walk with 1 in the chamber in heavy grizz territory half a second can save a life

skibum
10-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Walking alway empty chamber, unless I am hot on the heals of something, safety on, preferably by myself. Glassing in one spot, chambered, salftey on, again I don't like being around someone else then

madrona sh
10-18-2011, 01:49 PM
I hunt loaded with safety on. If I hit some steep or a really rough area I unload my rifle and reload at the bottom or when clear.
BUT with my .22 bolt action I do not have one in the chamber. I prefer to cycle that gun when it is needed.
Shot gun? I hate it and am going to replace it with a short open sight big bore centerfire when I raise the funds.

todbartell
10-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Usually hunt alone, one in the pipe. Even with a partner it's usually a chambered one.

emerson
10-18-2011, 02:07 PM
One chambered, savage tang safety on unless I'm walking behind others.
Hitting the brush in bear country without one chambered
lessened your options considerably. If a hunter is unable
exercise basic muzzle control perhaps they should avoid
hunting brushy predator country.

silvertipp
10-18-2011, 02:08 PM
ive seen this question alot lately
if im hard in the game certainely have no problem with one in the pipe
If its steep and rough ground i may unload
& finally if im seeing sign of grizzs around diffinetaley one in the pipe

wildcatter
10-18-2011, 02:16 PM
With a bolt action I keep one in the chamber and close the bolt holding the trigger, so it's not cocked.
However if I need a quick shot or in case of something unexpected I like to have it loaded with the safety on.

Caveman
10-18-2011, 02:23 PM
If I am walking alone in easy terrain I don't have a problem with having one in there with the safety off. That would concern me. Only takes a wrong step or a snag to change a families life for ever. How long does it take to take the safety off?
In rough terrain I have had the safety switched off on my .308, but it has a pretty loosey goosey switch. So I keep them in the clip until I am in a safer area.

My .325 has a good stiff safety hidden under the back of the scope, so I don't mind keeping one in there. A grizzly bear can close the distance from 10 yards pretty quickly in half a second. Plus, who wants a feeding problem in that situation?

I've always hunted/hiked with one in the chamber, safety on at all times. I even make it a practice to reach back and feel for it when I first start out and periodically as I hike

Gateholio
10-18-2011, 02:30 PM
It depends on the situation. It's almost impossible to wing shoot grouse with a break action shotgun with empty chambers though. ;)

like most things, it comes down to basing your actions based on circumstances. Walking across a street can be perfectly safe or it can be suicidal- based on circumstance, knowledge and ability.

lunatic
10-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Usually hunt alone, one in the pipe. Even with a partner it's usually a chambered one.

X2......those that don't obviously have not had a close grizz encounter or don't hunt in prime grizz territory.

Mikey Rafiki
10-18-2011, 02:49 PM
I've always hunted/hiked with one in the chamber, safety on at all times. I even make it a practice to reach back and feel for it when I first start out and periodically as I hike

That was a typo (fixed). Should have read safety on!

Although I do have one old 1897 30-06 that damn near takes two hands to turn the safety off :)

IronNoggin
10-18-2011, 02:49 PM
99% of the time I am solo out there - even when Buddies are along, we don't work the same path. And thus 99% of the time, I have one Under The Hammer and the Safety engaged. Works for me...

Cheers,
Nog

SimilkameenSlayer
10-18-2011, 02:54 PM
good point on the grizzly territory .... one in the chamber for that situation for sure. now i'm changing my original opinion .... i reserve that right. ;)

Weatherby Fan
10-18-2011, 02:55 PM
I have always hunted with one in the chamber and the safety on,having one in the chamber with the safety on more than likely saved my nephews life or a severe mauling with a charging Grizzly 2 yrs ago while Elk hunting.He would not have had time to chamber a round.

Pre '64
10-18-2011, 03:02 PM
I normally keep one chambered, but if there are two more guys travelling together I expect that none of the rifles to have a round chambered. If in doubt I walk behind everyone else. A safety can fail like anything else.

BernDawg
10-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Just touched on this with the lever guns so I'll say the same here, cause I only have one large bore rifle :-( 90% of the time there is an empty chamber and the hammer is down the other 10% I'm on a stalk, in a blind or on a stand and there's one in the chamber and I'm at 1/2 cock (old 336 = no safety) with my thumb on the hammer.

moosecaller
10-18-2011, 03:14 PM
One in the chamber when I'm hunting, still, walking ,stalking or otherwise. A rifle with nothing in the chamber is a club, been close to bears that want me before and it's not a nice feeling, I'm not there to play games I am there to kill my quarry you never know when you need a shot "right now" I use all the safe carry and common sense that is needed and more so it's never been a problem or even an issue with me or people I have hunted with.

Foxton Gundogs
10-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Depending on my location on the planet I walk with 1 in the chamber in heavy grizz territory half a second can save a life

I don't restrict it to G bear country tho. As a kid I remember watching my dad coming up thru a slash with my uncle while my Gramps and I waited on a logging road above. A sow Black bear with cubs no one saw, got up from a log tangle 10' from him and lunge straight at him he litterly put the barrel of his 30-40 in her face and shot. Scarry for a kid to watch, made a huge impression on me. I am sure if he had to chamber a round I would have been an orphan.
With my saddle gun I ride with an empty chamber spooked horse "hot" rifle with a 1/2 cock safty not a good combination. Besides I can leaver a round by the time I step down if l'm in a hurry.

Mauser98
10-18-2011, 04:39 PM
With a bolt action I keep one in the chamber and close the bolt holding the trigger, so it's not cocked.
However if I need a quick shot or in case of something unexpected I like to have it loaded with the safety on.

When the rifle is off-cock, the firing pin protrudes from the bolt-face and is pressing up against the primer of the chambered round. Potentially, a good jolt could fire the round.

Mr. Dean
10-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Never when walking with another but 99% of the time I'm alone and yup, the gun is usually hot.

wildcatter
10-18-2011, 05:01 PM
I've thought of that and bumped the butt on the ground to test, but no problem.
The bolt spring is pretty stiff if it's in good condition.

When the rifle is off-cock, the firing pin protrudes from the bolt-face and is pressing up against the primer of the chambered round. Potentially, a good jolt could fire the round.

ROEBUCK
10-18-2011, 05:23 PM
I hunt with 1 in the chamber, safety off ! finger safely on the trigger and muzzle wedged into my gum boot .
never had a problem yet !

SHAKER
10-18-2011, 05:26 PM
i used to hunt with one in the chamber and safety on, but now i don't bother with chambering a round. i changed my mind because safety is more important than a half second it take me to chamber a round.

how about you?

If I'm hunting theirs one up the pipe! Ask Brambles what happens when you don't have a loaded firearm!

Rainsford
10-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Always one in the the pipe but always try to be as safe as possible. I have a good stiff stafey under the scope and if im with someone else whoever is in front has one in the pipe the one slightly behind does not. Dont really see the issue with having one chambered as long as you make sure to control the muzzle, if you cant because of terrain then you have to re-think the situation if its not safe it comes out until its safe again.

keithb7
10-18-2011, 06:08 PM
This weekend when I was out with my son, I had 3 in my Sako A7 clip. The clip was in my pocket. There's no way there's going to be any accidents when I am out with my boy. In grizzly country? Ya I most likely in the chamber.

Fixit
10-18-2011, 06:39 PM
for me its not the extra second i save by all ready having one in the chamber, its the lack of sound that i desire. (chambering a round can be really loud and metalic)!

Big7
10-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Controll muzzel direction at all times....what difference would it make? Loaded or not, accidental discharge or not.....everyone should be safe right?!!! Carry on.

buck nash
10-18-2011, 07:17 PM
for me its not the extra second i save by all ready having one in the chamber, its the lack of sound that i desire. (chambering a round can be really loud and metalic)!

Beat me to it. Even the sound of the safety coming off can spook a wary animal. I always have one in the chamber as long as I'm sitting or on easy ground I leave the safety off. It's all about muzzle control. Of course if I get into anything that could be dodgey I'll put the safety on and if I have to climb over anyything I'll remove the bullet from the chamber.

ELK Seeker
10-18-2011, 07:32 PM
If im in the saddle or on rough terrain my chamber is empty but if i am stalking or am in grizz country 1 is in the tube with the safety on

Buckmeister
10-18-2011, 07:35 PM
When walking, my bolt action is not cocked with one in the chamber.

Darksith
10-18-2011, 07:48 PM
depends if I am with someone or not. If I am alone and don't need to worry about where my gun is pointing I'll have 1 in chamber with safety on, if I am with someone chamber is always empty.

The Dude
10-18-2011, 08:10 PM
On foot I'm still hunting, and more often than not the deer are looking at me all radar-eared before i notice them. Just the way it is. Not gonna go clack-clacking around chambering a round when something is already on flight notice. When I'm sitting and glassing, of course I'm ready to go. In my truck road hunting, I usually have a beer in the cup holder, another between my legs, and the bolts open on an empty chamber,mags full, in case I'm stopped by the CO. A hinged floorplate has saved me many a ticket, lemme TELL ya! :D (That last one was a JOKE gang, but keep those cards and letters coming!)
All kidding aside, on foot, one in the pipe, no question.

Rubberfist
10-18-2011, 08:25 PM
If I'm alone and in low visibility or grizz country, I will chamber a round, safety on.

If I am not alone, I will not chamber a round, and expect the same.

cloverphil
10-18-2011, 08:38 PM
usually one chambered and 3 in the clip

my first hunt I missed a beauty buck because he bolted as I closed the bolt and never got a shot

J_T
10-18-2011, 08:48 PM
On foot I'm still hunting, and more often than not the deer are looking at me all radar-eared before i notice them. Just the way it is. Not gonna go clack-clacking around chambering a round when something is already on flight notice. When I'm sitting and glassing, of course I'm ready to go. In my truck road hunting, I usually have a beer in the cup holder, another between my legs, and the bolts open on an empty chamber,mags full, in case I'm stopped by the CO. A hinged floorplate has saved me many a ticket, lemme TELL ya! :D (That last one was a JOKE gang, but keep those cards and letters coming!)
Yeah, got to agree here. If you're still hunting whitetails and you don't have a round chambered, you aren't killing whitetails.

Caveman
10-18-2011, 08:59 PM

Of course this one is pre-opened in the event you finish the one between your knees so no unnecessary noises are emitted from the cab. :wink:

Buckzilla
10-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Once you've been bluff charged by a grizz from 40 feet to 20 feet as i was 2 weeks back , u won't wander the bush with-out one chambered again. I was chambered, didn't have to shoot. he got to 20 feet then stopped turned and ran out as fast as he came in.had he not stopped he would have been on me faster than i could have chambered if needed. Even as it was, i would have been lucky to get a shot from point blank off the hip.

The Dude
10-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Of course this one is pre-opened in the event you finish the one between your knees so no unnecessary noises are emitted from the cab. :wink:

Precisely. I didn't spend 523 dollars and 49 cents on Carbon Permeated camo to sit in my truck and have a deer spook from the crack of the pulltab of my $2 Cutthroat, now, did I? :D

moose2
10-18-2011, 09:49 PM
I always load one with the safety on when I am walking on my own. If I am with someone I have an empty pipe but still use the safety to lock my bolt in place to keep it from opening and possibly falling out while brush crashing. Although like it has been mentioned the noise of loading one will spook animals at close range. It happened to me this year when my father-in-law walked with me for August moose. I spotted a bull in dence bush at close range with a small opening for a shot I put one in the chamber , he bolted from the noise. I was able to stop him with a grunt and make a quick head shot on him. If it had been a elk or whitetail it would have been gone.
Mike

Glenny
10-18-2011, 09:52 PM
If I got one in the chamber, I will hit the outhouse first before I head out. Safety first. :icon_frow

10-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Always one in the chamber......what good is a rifle without its ammo? Noise is another factor mentioned and is well worth considering.........back in the days when l smoked l once watched a cow moose that was on full alert as she knew something was sideways but didn't know where the danger was coming from, one drag of my cigarrette and over 100 yards away that old girl had me pinpointed.....l can't imagine trying to quietly work a bolt in those circumstances without blowing your chances of ever getting a shot. Despite what some may have read or heard, the safety position on rifles are fairly dependable and guns usually don't disharge with their safety on with out some human influence.

horshur
10-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Never.consequences of a missed opportunity are trivial in context

Deer_Slayer
10-18-2011, 10:13 PM
I do same thing. Quick up down with bolt and she's ready if a quick encounter happens..not just with bears but a bedded deer or elk suddenly springing up.

Sunny
10-18-2011, 10:14 PM
totally agree what you say

bigwhiteys
10-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Never.consequences of a missed opportunity are trivial in context

Precisely.... I know of more than 4 different people who've had accidental discharges 1 resulting in their death. It's not worth it too me, and hunting with a partner is a lot funner when you aren't so worried about his muzzle direction.

Carl

lunatic
10-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Precisely.... I know of more than 4 different people who've had accidental discharges 1 resulting in their death. It's not worth it too me, and hunting with a partner is a lot funner when you aren't so worried about his muzzle direction.

Carl

You guys are welcome to come along on my next grizz hunt......oh yeah, almost forgot......baiting bears is illegal in B.C.!

bigwhiteys
10-18-2011, 10:45 PM
You guys are welcome to come along on my next grizz hunt......oh yeah, almost forgot......baiting bears is illegal in B.C.!

Gladly... I hike through miles of Grizz country every single year with my rifle strapped to my pack... If a bear rushes me at 10 yards I am totally done for... Likely anyone who thinks they can finish a charging Grizz with a long gun at 10 yards is too!

Carl

fireguy
10-18-2011, 10:53 PM
I go with one in the pipe, shot a grumpy black bear that I had startled once from a distance of about 6 inches from the end of the gun because I had one in the pipe.

Trapper D
10-18-2011, 11:04 PM
yup same here , hunt in heavy bear area, where the blackies seem a little ornery. first black bear i ever shot was in pemberton at 6 feet. his head smelled like gunpowder

Walksalot
10-19-2011, 05:58 AM
If you talked to me last year I would have said always one in the chamber but now I carry one in the chamber when I am alone but walking with someone I let them take the lead and I take the bullet out of the chamber.

lunatic
10-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Gladly... I hike through miles of Grizz country every single year with my rifle strapped to my pack... If a bear rushes me at 10 yards I am totally done for... Likely anyone who thinks they can finish a charging Grizz with a long gun at 10 yards is too!

Carl

Perhaps you are correct, I would however at least want the chance to TRY and defend myself instead of relying on the shat running down my legs to discourage it!

stitch
10-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Locked and Loaded....I remeber a couple of years ago I was out with the Ol' fella for an early morning hunt. About an hour in I looked over at him to make sure he was doin ok and asked him when he was planning on taking his trigger lock off. Now that is playin it safe. We had a good chuckle over that one.

Rubberfist
10-19-2011, 10:18 AM
On the bear defense issue: I have heard enough first-hand stories of bears being stopped or scared-off BECAUSE the hunter had one in the pipe, due to the time saved, to feel that it is perhaps the only justified reason to go in locked and loaded.

That being said, for bears, little bells and pepper spray should suffice:

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/romos/bearwarning.jpg

Mikey Rafiki
10-19-2011, 10:37 AM

Carl

I know of someone who stopped a grizz in it's tracks at less than ten yards. A 250 grain bullet in the brain will do that sort of thing. Not saying it's easy, but it's certainly your best bet.

And if a bear charges you from 100 yards with your unloaded rifle strapped to your pack you are still done for; would be better off without that extra weight holding you down :)

rocksteady
10-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Locked and loaded, ready for action at all times....Rifle over the shoulder with a sling, so muzzle always pointed away....

Take it off only when its time to shoot, or to sit down and do some glassing....

Got charged by a skunk in the light of a headlamp couple years ago.....Luckily it was a bluff charge or I would have had to smoke him...Think it was a boar, cause it did not have cubs with it...

cmc destroyer
10-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Chambered ALL the time.

steel_ram
10-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Locked and loaded, safety on only when alone. With someone or near the vehicle, rounds in magazine only nothing up the spout.

Elkaddict
10-19-2011, 11:56 AM

Carl

Interesting timing. I am in the middle of Gary Shelton's third book in his bear attack/defense series. (Highly recommended if you haven't read them already). I just read a story where a guy was in the same circumstance. Put a 165 gr 7mm into a charging grizz. Didn't stop the bear cold, and the guy got beat up pretty good, but the bear expired before he did. I had a similar experience a number of years ago, except the bear didn't charge. It was enough to convince me to convert the .270 I was carrying into a 35 Whelen.;-) Kinda like the fire extinguisher in my kitchen. I should never have to use it, but it's there if I do.

Oh ya, I carry one in the pipe, safety on, at all times when alone. Traveling in company, the guy in front is loaded and ready, the guy behind is chamber clear. Proper muzzle control practiced at all times, loaded or not.

moosecaller
10-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Came across a fresh grizzly kill a few years back; full grown mature bull moose buried 3/4deep, area about 10 yards around tore up at least 6" deep in thick buck brush looked like a rotortiller had been there, as my safety went click to the off position finger ON the trigger so did my partners I had no problem with this at the time, I whispered whom ever gets jumped on the other guy start shooting till it stops chewing. We walked and did a 360 every second step until we were back at the truck. Sometimes safety needs to be tempered with necessity of the situation.

todbartell
10-19-2011, 12:17 PM
pulling the trigger while lowing the bolt slowly on a live round in the chamber places the firing pin directly on the primer (with no pressure) although a good fall could probably set it off, more so than falling with the safety on.

bigwhiteys
10-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Interesting timing. I am in the middle of Gary Shelton's third book in his bear attack/defense series. (Highly recommended if you haven't read them already). I just read a story where a guy was in the same circumstance. Put a 165 gr 7mm into a charging grizz. Didn't stop the bear cold, and the guy got beat up pretty good, but the bear expired before he did.

One of the men mentioned in one of his books, who survived an attack.. Is a guiding friend of my dads.

Usually I have a large pack on my back which I would "try" to use as a shield on my vitals and turtle and play dead until the attack was over. That's my plan without a rifle in my hand, anyways :)

I do sometimes have my hunting knife strapped to my chest, but in the ferocity of an actual attack, doubt it would be of much use, as I'd be just as likely to fatally cut myself than the bear in a scramble.

Of course, we all love to pretend we're Rambo and can F*$# Sh!T up when we have too, but.... I get the feeling people around here feel a bear attack will play out like it does on Cabelas big game hunter or something...?

You just run backwards and gun that sucker down while reloading and switching weapons? or Stand firm with your cannon and plow that s.o.b right between the eyes?

My best guess is mr. poopy pants would take over for 91.6% of your average "humans" when faced with an immediate/surprise encounter and the bear would toss you around like a little biotch until it's done anyways.

Hunting for me in general (on the Island) I don't feel the need to have 1 chambered for my personal safetys sake. Big sneaky cats are scary I guess but just like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Lmk...eature=related (goto 1:22) just punch that Cougar in the face and you're hunting again in a few minutes after the shakes go-away. (Shelton recommends carrying an 8" knife on your chest, lol..)

Carl

rcar
10-19-2011, 02:35 PM
For me it depends. If I am in an area where I think I will have to get off a quick shot due to brush or terrain then I carry my rifle with one in the chamber and safety on. If I have it slung over my shoulder, then in the clip.

REMINGTON JIM
10-19-2011, 11:13 PM

Thats funny ! 2 beer on the go ! LOL !! :lol:

REMINGTON JIM
10-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Interesting timing. I am in the middle of Gary Shelton's third book in his bear attack/defense series. (Highly recommended if you haven't read them already). I just read a story where a guy was in the same circumstance. Put a 165 gr 7mm into a charging grizz. Didn't stop the bear cold, and the guy got beat up pretty good, but the bear expired before he did. I had a similar experience a number of years ago, except the bear didn't charge. It was enough to convince me to convert the .270 I was carrying into a 35 Whelen.;-) Kinda like the fire extinguisher in my kitchen. I should never have to use it, but it's there if I do.

Oh ya, I carry one in the pipe, safety on, at all times when alone. Traveling in company, the guy in front is loaded and ready, the guy behind is chamber clear. Proper muzzle control practiced at all times, loaded or not.

PERFECT - but maybe that 35 whelen should be a 375 mag of sorts ? Just kiddin- LOL

Elkaddict
10-20-2011, 01:34 PM
PERFECT - but maybe that 35 whelen should be a 375 mag of sorts ? Just kiddin- LOL

LOL, funny you should mention that. I carried the Whelen for years as my "go to" gun. It is now my backup and has been replaced by a 375 Ruger;-). I also carry the "Hammer of Thor" on occasion as well.:-D

srupp
10-20-2011, 01:54 PM
hmmmm maybe because of my career, and the 30 plus years of dealing with the strangest of situations, circumstances and the tradgec consequences of how the hell did THAT just happen..and the overwhelming grief resulting from doing anything less than 100% when it comes to firearms and safety..

I have been there, and witnessed just about any conceivable firearm incident....you can never call back a bullet, and dead is a long long time..

Yup even been a weapon incident this past week up here, as there is far too often during hunting season..and someone may still be clinging to life ..or else passed away...

the only truly safe manner..IMO is none in the pipe....I have never lost an animal to having to chamber a round, after identifying it as alegal animal fullfilling both the open season, or LEH and was in a location that offerred a safe shot...

I also have had some experience with grizzlies...the weapon is unloaded...the last charge/attack....time to shoulder the weapon and chamber a round..

Nick is a new hunter...reinforced,,, everytime the wepon is picked up.. it is PROVED to by safe....

In my camp, and when I am hunting non in the chamber...

On follow up going against a grizzly...the rifle is loaded, safety on careful step by step towards the downed bear untill proven he is dead..then everyone unloads and proves all the rifles safe..

just my .02

steven

tomcat
10-20-2011, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=srupp;1000240] the only truly safe manner..IMO is none in the pipe....I have never lost an animal to having to chamber a round, after identifying it as alegal animal fullfilling both the open season, or LEH and was in a location that offerred a safe shot...

X2 and also only on follow up of wound bear or cougar I will have one in the chamber.

dingdongdenny
10-20-2011, 04:42 PM
when hunting with a buddy i wear running shoes. I only have to out run him.

islandboy
10-20-2011, 06:15 PM
The issue is walking versus hunting. As described in another thread I had a partner shoot a tree beside me as we walked down a trail. :icon_frow He was moving his rifle from a slung position.:oops:
I will load a round if I am stalking or intensely hunting (weapon at the ready) and the terrain permits it. Otherwise lesson learned the hard way, my chamber is empty.

Ltbullken
10-22-2011, 04:27 PM

Ok so now your firing pin is engaged forward under tension contacting the primer. You might notice a slight scoring mark on the primer after you do that. Just close the bolt out of the action and see how much tension is on the firing pin (as long as you know how to re-open the bolt). Take a fall or a good bump to the rifle.... no thanks, just put the safety on or forget chambering the round. Not to mention that if the firing pin strikes by some fluke while you are closing the bolt holding down the trigger, you could experience the equivalent of a slam fire with the round going off before the lugs are locked... that does not sound like fun to me. NOT good advice and I do not know where people ever learned to do that but I think it is really dangerous, moreso than having a round in the chamber.

Ltbullken
10-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Concurrent thread on the same issue. Some good points made and same conclusion: don't do the 'one in the chamber, close bolt, depress trigger' method. It's very dangerous!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?73455-Safety-on.......or-depress-the-trigger!!!