PDA

View Full Version : Questions Regarding Full Status Natives

Ogopogo
10-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Hey everyone,

A friend of mine recently just got his full status card as a native and I was wondering is it true that he can hunt WHENEVER, and WHATEVER he wants with no bag limit? I know that he is limited to his area of band he is in which is about 1/4 the size of BC.

Mr. Dean
10-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Pretty much... But Natives are restricted on the species that are "sensitive" to harvest.

Ogopogo
10-18-2011, 01:35 PM
what restrictions may this be......like a mule doe or more like a bobcat

Pretty much... But Natives are restricted on the species that are "sensitive" to harvest.

Salty
10-18-2011, 01:41 PM
what restrictions may this be......like a mule doe or more like a bobcat

For instance around here the natives have to draw for Roosevelt elk as do the rest of us. A certain amount of tags is given to the band and they have a draw for who gets to shoot an elk.

Mikey Rafiki
10-18-2011, 01:49 PM
A lot of bands have their own specified regulations, or guidelines. Can be a lot of grey areas. Sustainability and sustenance is the goal.

juiceterboost
10-18-2011, 03:06 PM
my understanding from speaking to some of the natives around here is they can hunt whenever, wherever, and whatever (providing not sensitive to harvest) in their traditional territory, although if they venture on a trip out of their territory they a.) can get permission from the local band to hunt as a status member, usually with the stipulation some of the meat be donated to an elder, or b.) hunt in season with the same size limits, sex, and bag limits as a caucasion but not requiring a license.

Its a little convoluted and a call should be made to the co's as well as the band of the area your going to be hunting in.

GoatGuy
10-18-2011, 03:10 PM
For instance around here the natives have to draw for Roosevelt elk as do the rest of us. A certain amount of tags is given to the band and they have a draw for who gets to shoot an elk.

The bands get as many tags as they want within the bounds of conservation.

After FN requirements are met the remainder are allocated for resident/commercial harvest. Ergo, if there is no harvestable surplus left after FN needs there is no hunt.

Jagermeister
10-18-2011, 03:19 PM
"Sustainability and sustenance is the goal."
Sustainability? You jest, right? That's what they want you to believe. I haven't seen that in practice yet. See all the pinks that were discarded from the nets in the inland fishery?

Hal
10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
If they want the ability to hunt while enjoying their traditional hunting freedoms(anything ,anytime and anywhere), that's fine by me. Why don't they use their traditional hunting tools as well. Someone tell me what's traditional about a Remington 7MM. I don't get it.

GoatGuy
10-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Sustainability? You jest, right? That's what they want you to believe. I haven't seen that in practice yet. See all the pinks that were discarded from the nets in the inland fishery?

Talking about ethics??

What is done with an animal/fish after it is harvested has nothing to do with sustainability. Could take all the fish you catch and throw them in the neighbours pickup - so long as there isn't an over-harvest it is sustainable.

steel_ram
10-18-2011, 04:19 PM
What ever and whenever they want, and if it's not "legal" try charging them.

Tikka270
10-18-2011, 04:27 PM
This should should get interesting...

wildcatter
10-18-2011, 04:38 PM
A few years ago I was driving up the Dempster in winter and there were a baunch of natives standing right in the middle of the highway target shooting at a herd of caribou.
I could see a couple animals on the ground and some limping wounded, there must have been over a 100 empty shells on the road.
Is that what you call sustainability?

Salty
10-18-2011, 04:54 PM

After FN requirements are met the remainder are allocated for resident/commercial harvest. Ergo, if there is no harvestable surplus left after FN needs there is no hunt.

Don't know about all that but for whatever reason in the 'first nation people's territory' that i live in they get half the elk tags to draw within their community and the rest of us get the other half.

JohnS
10-18-2011, 04:58 PM
This should should get interesting...

I agree with you

bellagrinder
10-18-2011, 05:03 PM
A few years ago I was driving up the Dempster in winter and there were a baunch of natives standing right in the middle of the highway target shooting at a herd of caribou.
I could see a couple animals on the ground and some limping wounded, there must have been over a 100 empty shells on the road.
Is that what you call sustainability?

Nope but thats what I'd call sustained fire.

Mr. Dean
10-18-2011, 05:07 PM
You know,,,,, it's refreshing to see people wanting insight to a topic they don't understand.

But as usual, there are those who will try to turn it into a personal agenda and start grouping people in the same class because they seen this or that, from a few individuals. Then the horn blowing starts and slurs become the norm.

We ain't not going there!

If you personally perceive a problem with Natives and how they/some go about their hunts, call the governing body that makes the rules and quit acting like a whining lill' bitch here on HBC..... If this post strikes a nerve in the reader, perhaps you best get 'up' on our rule of usage ----------> Freedom of Speech doesn't apply on this PRIVATELY OWNED SITE: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=31

dondupuis
10-18-2011, 05:07 PM
if you check the regs you will see this,

ABORIGINAL HUNTING
4The first priority of the Ministry of Environment is to ensure the long-term conservation of wildlife populations and their habitats. The Ministry also recognizes
that Indian people have aboriginal rights to harvest wildlife for sustenance (food, social and ceremonial purposes) in their traditional
areas. Such uses of wildlife must be sustainable, and harvesting methods must not jeopardize safety or the use and enjoyment of
property. Any hunting of wildlife species for sale or barter, in whole or in part, is not legal, except as authorized by regulation or where
there is a demonstrated aboriginal or treaty right to do so. 4Under the Wildlife Act ‘Indian’ means a person who is defined as a status Indian
under the Indian Act (Canada) 4Indians who are residents of British Columbia are not required to obtain any type of hunting licence under the
Wildlife Act. Indians who are residents of BC and are exercising an aboriginal right to hunt for sustenance purposes within a traditionally-
used area are required to comply with hunting regulations related to public health and public safety. In situations where conservation
of a particular species is of concern and compliance with hunting regulations is required by Indians belonging to a First
Nation group, there will be prior consultation with the affected First Nation in accordance with Ministry policy and procedures. These
restrictions may include the requirement for Limited Entry Hunting (LEH) authorizations. Prior to undertaking any hunting activity, individuals
should inquire with their appropriate First Nation officials or with the MoE regional office with respect to any specific requirements
that may apply to them. 4Indians who are residents of BC and wish to hunt outside their traditionally-used areas must do so in accordance with the Hunting
Regulations. This includes making application for a LEH authorization via the LEH draw. If an individual is in doubt regarding a traditional
hunting area or practice, they should be in contact with the appropriate First Nations officials and the regional Wildlife Program staff to discuss specific situations

Grousedaddy
10-18-2011, 05:16 PM
My wife and her family are status indians i know for a 100% fact that they only hunt 2 weeks prior to opening day to avoid pressure and they sure as hell eat all the meat they take . This is what i have seen for the last ten years in the kamloops area and have learned many tactics and ways of hunting from her family. They dont shoot does or babys the hunt by the rules excluding bag limit as they provide for tribal elders. To me it is a honour to hunt with them and to learn from them i have never seen ppl call in game and track game as these ppl do im confident they could still harvest game without a 7mm just fine

kelmore
10-18-2011, 05:37 PM
I find it funny that I got in reprimanded for an off colour joke because this is a "Family site" but racial stereo typing totally all right

bandit
10-18-2011, 05:39 PM

The bands dont need "tags" or allocations for anything other than the LEH already mentioned on this thread. They also do not need to report any kills to MOE biologists; at best FN harvests are estimated into regional allocations. They are essentially entirely self regulating which is fine in most circumstances, but all it takes is one "bad apple"

Jagermeister
10-18-2011, 05:55 PM
There is nothing sustainable if there are no rules or regulations in place to control the harvest. We have a host of rules and regulations that control our harvest. There is only one rule that the other party have to adher to and that is species sensitive to harvest.
On another thread posted recently, one poster was lamenting the killing of elk in the Chase/Falkland area (aside from the one that the quasi-hunter shot) by first nations. Would you not say that the elk in that area are sentive to harvest if they are just establishing their presence.
Like I said, if there are no real rules or regulations, they can do what they want and do it however they want. Eventually, you will lose your hunting privilege because of someone else's actions, what say then?

pappy
10-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Why doesn't your buddy call the local C.O. and find out for himself, that is what I did and I have never had any problems. Don't take advise from a bunch of non-status people online, most of the guys on here only "know somebody who has a card" or have some kind of jealouse problem when it comes to natives and our natural resources. Its best to find out this stuff right from the people who deal with these situations on a professional daily basis.

Steeleco
10-18-2011, 06:16 PM
I find it funny that I got in reprimanded for an off colour joke because this is a "Family site" but racial stereo typing totally all right

Read Mr.Deans previous post, (#17) it's NOT alright. This thread as all others that get off topic all end up in the same bucket, the "deleted" one.

Mr. Dean
10-18-2011, 06:23 PM
what say then?

What say you?

I do not agree with some of the stuff that surrounds 1st nations hunting. I think my biggest beef is not having to report their harvests and I've vocalized these queries to my MLA. But until enough people formally bring in there concerns, there's not much they can do..... Everyone ALWAYS wants someone else to "do it for them" and take little, if any, initiative.

I hear all the gripes. I say; take a look in the mirror and ask if your doing anything about it, or are you being passive? (people in general).

tobaboy
10-18-2011, 06:50 PM
What about natives that come to bc to live from a diffrent province . How does that work?

Mikey Rafiki
10-18-2011, 07:07 PM

I only stated that this is the goal, not necessarily the practice that is employed by all. Should we be striving for something else? Also, I didn't say if it was our goal or "there's", as I believe it's a common goal.

Mr. Dean
10-18-2011, 07:07 PM
What about natives that come to bc to live from a diffrent province . How does that work?

I'm guessing it's the same as us white boyz....... 1 year resident = good 2 go.

But would they be entitled to hunt without a licence? I dunno.

Good Q.

tash
10-18-2011, 08:06 PM
my understanding from speaking to some of the natives around here is they can hunt whenever, wherever, and whatever (providing not sensitive to harvest) in their traditional territory, although if they venture on a trip out of their territory they a.) can get permission from the local band to hunt as a status member, usually with the stipulation some of the meat be donated to an elder, or b.) hunt in season with the same size limits, sex, and bag limits as a caucasion but not requiring a license.

This is my understanding as well.

ianwuzhere
10-18-2011, 08:40 PM
What about some Native bands which have treaty 8 rules-hunt anywhere?? Anyone have clarification on treaty 8?

Ogopogo
10-18-2011, 09:12 PM
well thanks guys for the info.....sorry to stir the pot, I certainly did not mean to do so. I will get my buddy to call the CO for further clarification.

bcyukonair
10-19-2011, 06:53 AM
x2!!!!!!!!!!!!
what ever and whenever they want, and if it's not "legal" try charging them.

oldtimer
10-19-2011, 08:44 AM

Most First Nations do not recognize any borders, either Provincial or National. They recognize Territories.
Mike

Trapper D
10-19-2011, 09:51 AM
we hunters are hunting on their land, read up on your british columbian history which is distinct from the rest of the provinces of canada. you might want to give them an ounce of respect , as we are still hunting. If this was england you would have to be a duke to hunt and fish. consider yourself lucky.

flyboy
10-19-2011, 02:55 PM
And that is the problem, it is not THIER LAND, as it is not MY LAND. It is every Canadians land.

Respect is a two way street as well I might add.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-19-2011, 03:11 PM
If this was england you would have to be a duke to hunt and fish. consider yourself lucky.

i'm form England, for the most part us Canadians have it good in many directions, but particularly in hunting and fishing.

i live in a town surrounded by native folk who i can vouch for and who have very good hunting effics.

Trapper D
10-19-2011, 03:18 PM
you should look at the Delgamuukw case which has clearly stated , by the outcome of aboriginal title to bc, and will never end until this is settled. They never recided BC by war , by treaty , or by anhilation. Im afraid your wrong for the time being, and no its not every canadians.

Mr. Dean
10-19-2011, 03:28 PM
you should look at the Delgamuukw case.....

Maybe enlighten some of the members on just what this is and how it correlates...... Many have no clue and to be frank, I bet few care to take the time to read and learn what it is. From my observations it's easier to sit back, bitch-n-whine, while being ignorant to what reality is.

Trapper D
10-19-2011, 03:36 PM
This case set the precidence for aboriginal title in bc , and immediatly following was the start of all the treaty negotiations. read it , i found it interesting. had the government , taken bc by war, which they didnt , it would have a different outcome. or by genocide, which they didnt. or negotiated way back then, a cheap deal , which they didnt. Now the government dont have the ball in their court anymore, good on the natives to play ball with the government , and beat them at their own game.

Mr. Dean
10-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Trapper D;

Are you "up" on it?
Are you able to do some Q&A on that case and perhaps others that are pertinent?

I'd LOVE to see a thread that actually educates 'how we got here' and how/what is needed to reflect change.

flyboy
10-19-2011, 03:55 PM
okay read it, your right interesting read. doesn't change my stand that my children have as much right to this country and everything it has to offer.

from your statement of Canada not being every Canadians. I am sorry to say but you will never see the day that this country is GIVEN BACK. There are way to many people that would not stand silent and let that happen.

Anyway I come on here to read about hunting not question the rights of natives, so back to what I came to see.

Trapper D
10-19-2011, 04:02 PM
ive read the case but im no expert by any means , and wouldnt claim to be. its free for anybody to read , just type in that name and it will appear. no and no , ive seen enough on this site to already know the outcome. I would like to see the same Mr. Dean, as I'm in know way racist towards natives. I have an interest in native culture, and their history, as I believe they may have had the best way to co-habitate with the surrounding world. Greed was'nt apart of their life, but thats not how the colonizers wanted them to be. Y ou can still see it today. Most natives would give you the shirt off their backs wouldnt they?

Trapper D
10-19-2011, 04:14 PM
i never said canada not being, i said bc, and left it open for the future, reason i say that is im a trapper, and the government is holding onto or not dealing with vacant , dormant traplines till the treaties have been negotiated, or these particular areas , anyways , so that for one is not, in your terms being offered by your country , which im pertaining to bc alone.

Mr. Dean
10-19-2011, 04:15 PM
People are like bears: each has his own ideals...........

Trapper D
10-19-2011, 04:17 PM
flyboy , BC was never TAKEN, arent you getting it?

yamooohks
10-19-2011, 04:40 PM
There should be no special regualtions regarding natives. And since there is, it's a joke that they can use modern weapons to hunt under different regulations that the rest of us "Canadians" (white, black, chinese, east indian, italian, japanese ....). Just becasue they hunted here 2000 years ago, with TRADITIONAL WEAPONS, how does that have any relavence as to what is going on in right now...

Mr. Dean
10-19-2011, 04:58 PM
There should be no special regualtions regarding natives. And since there is, it's a joke that they can use modern weapons to hunt under different regulations that the rest of us "Canadians" (white, black, chinese, east indian, italian, japanese ....). Just becasue they hunted here 2000 years ago, with TRADITIONAL WEAPONS, how does that have any relavence as to what is going on in right now...

You don't like, I get that.

waddaya goin to do about it?

abbyfireguy
10-19-2011, 05:24 PM
What can one do about it? Not much if the politicians don't have the desire to settle treaties that are outstanding in a fair and equitable way for all parties concerned not just the FN people or the Tax payers.A level playing field is the only way to address the treaties.
That opens another can of worms. Do you really want the politicians selling the farm?

Jelvis
10-19-2011, 06:54 PM
The term Full Status Native is incorrect in this context. It's not used by government or bands.
The proper term is Status Indian under the Indian Act ..
Jel .. You are either a Status Indian or your a Non-Status person one or the other.
It's not full or half or a quarter native it's Status or Non Status period no in betweens
A Status Indian has a federal government of Canada valid issued card that is in his or her name with no address but has the band name, the persons name and a ten digit personal number

10-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Just keep in mind that NO GOVERNMENT has the balls to stand up to ANY of them and .........

They WILL continue TO DO AS THEY WANT ..... ya flippin lost the war .... time to stop the hand outs !

CT

It's reverse discrimination !

yamooohks
10-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Just keep in mind that NO GOVERNMENT has the balls to stand up to ANY of them and .........

They WILL continue TO DO AS THEY WANT ..... ya flippin lost the war .... time to stop the hand outs !

CT

It's reverse discrimination !

i fully agree

argyle1
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
natives don't have to draw tags around here---bulls, cows, calves, mpregnant cows, whatever----they only take what they need----if they only need a hind quarter or the tongue, then thats all they take

Trapper D
10-19-2011, 07:37 PM
there seems to be some feminine entitlement issues, get over it , its not yours and it never will be just like your house thats paid for. lol dont pay the property tax and see who owns it, better yet wait till bc rail or whoever has rights to everything below your precious landscaping decides its time to claim whats rightfully theirs, welcome to the their gravel pit. theyll lease the atco trailer to ya.lol oh ps there was no war and that was your own governments biggest mistake. read um and weep

brazen
10-29-2011, 08:47 PM
er..ahem...ok this thread got hot, but I have questions related. I'm invited to share a moose hunt with a WFN status indian and friend, I provide transport, he provide firearm, whose written rules will apply to me??? He is assuming his rules, whereas me, I don't have a clue...A CO takes phone inquiries of this nature?

papaken
10-29-2011, 11:19 PM
I constantly see people on this subject say First Nations people should have to hunt in their traditional ways. Now I may be wrong but I think there ancestors and ours used a variety of traditional hunting methods. Pit traps, snares, clubs while animals swimming, torches at night, running herds off cliffs, crude bows and arrows, stone tipped spears and others I can't think of at the moment. These may not be the best way of doing things. Personally if anyone is going to hunt I would prefer they do so with the best tools available and as much skill as possible. Also if they or anyone else is hunting within the rules (which, by the way, they didn't make up) then as with all people I support their right to do so. As a Canadian we are not all treated totally equal. If I go to Alberta or any other province or territory I as a British Columbian am treated to a different set of rules than the "Canadian" that lives there. I was recently in the Chilcotin. The area I wished to hunt was closed to me because I did not have horses or enough money to hire a guide. Yet other "Canadians" with horses as well as non-residents with guides were allowed to hunt there. Is this "fair"? Who knows but it is the rules so I abide by them. Could have shot my largest bear but he was on the side of the road on a curve, against the rules, but the rules didn't change the fact I would not shoot because it was unsafe to do so. In the time I was up there the natives I was hunting with did not shoot any of the does we saw as they were not in their traditional territory. We did not see any legal game (other than grouse, which were quite tasty) so after 7 days we came home with all of our LEH moose tags. While we were there I only encountered one vehicle with local natives out hunting and they had not shot anything. All the people I talked to said game was scarce except way back and up high. No one I spoke with ever mentioned that the "Indians" killed everything. I may be married to a native and live on the rez for the last 26 years but l'm white, look, act, and dress about as redneck as they come and lotsa folks mistake me for a sympathizer to to that mindset. I have hunted for 40 years and seen stupid from all types, and for the most part they were non-native. I try to teach my grandchildren to not only follow their traditions but to follow the rules and above all respect the game and the fellow people they encounter. I tried this year to get a copy of whatever map the CO's use to determine where my families traditional territory starts and ends. I was told they didn't have that information and they would have to rely on what their Band told them. It makes it hard to follow the rules precisely when even the ones who are supposed to enforce them can't answer questions. So I will be getting maps and try to educate my family where their territory starts and ends. It is also very difficult to hunt in a lot of their traditional territory as it is closed to hunting. Coquitlam, Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford, Chlilliwack etc. Back to my original thought, pit traps, snares, deadfalls on trails in the lower mainland, don't make sense to me. We don't have a lot of cliffs but maybe they could do deer drives into traffic and club the ones that don't die immediately! brazen I would call the CO. Follow the rules do your share of the work and go to your friends house for dinner. As to everyone else on here HUNT SAFE Follow the rules and RESPECT OTHERS WHO DO THE SAME. If I have offended any of you it was not my intention and I apologize. thx papaken

BearStump
10-30-2011, 12:21 AM
i'm fine with natives taking heir fill, on their traditional territory. I've got plenty of friends who are native and do just that. But there does need to be a better guage of what is taken and what can be taken in a year. IMO

mrak
10-30-2011, 12:34 AM
mrak:

I deleted your post and an infraction was sent.

Mr. Dean

CanuckShooter
10-30-2011, 08:05 AM
What say you?

I do not agree with some of the stuff that surrounds 1st nations hunting. I think my biggest beef is not having to report their harvests and I've vocalized these queries to my MLA. But until enough people formally bring in there concerns, there's not much they can do..... Everyone ALWAYS wants someone else to "do it for them" and take little, if any, initiative.

I hear all the gripes. I say; take a look in the mirror and ask if your doing anything about it, or are you being passive? (people in general).

I really don't see what difference FN 'reporting' could possibly make??? How many BC resident hunters can you identify that have to 'report' all the game they shoot?? What's your beef?

chinooker
10-30-2011, 11:15 AM
First Nation rights of any kind are BS. One country, rules the same for everyone!! No exceptions. Only when that happens will there be no Racism.

Peter Pepper
10-30-2011, 11:35 AM
First Nation rights of any kind are BS. One country, rules the same for everyone!! No exceptions. Only when that happens will there be no Racism.

Amen to that! Equal rights for all!

Mr. Dean
10-30-2011, 11:39 AM
I really don't see what difference FN 'reporting' could possibly make??? How many BC resident hunters can you identify that have to 'report' all the game they shoot?? What's your beef?

We have several different areas where stat's can be compiled; be it harvest questionnaires, compulsory inspection, etc. Native hunters get a 'Free Pass' on all of this. If all groups were to report, it would make conservation decisions a lot more 'fact based', thus the possibility of opening up hunting opportunity for non Natives and creating better management strategies.

I'm all for Natives being able to exercise their rights and I insist that they don't treat me 'different', when we're on hunts together. And I can honestly say, non of my friends have disappointed me in the slightest with their harvests - The fact that I just get to sit back and watch, doesn't piss me off, create jealousy or what have you.... I'd just like to have an idea of what's actually being taken so we can manage Wildlife Populations better.

CanuckShooter
10-30-2011, 12:10 PM
We have several different areas where stat's can be compiled; be it harvest questionnaires, compulsory inspection, etc. Native hunters get a 'Free Pass' on all of this. If all groups were to report, it would make conservation decisions a lot more 'fact based', thus the possibility of opening up hunting opportunity for non Natives and creating better management strategies.

I'm all for Natives being able to exercise their rights and I insist that they don't treat me 'different', when we're on hunts together. And I can honestly say, non of my friends have disappointed me in the slightest with their harvests - The fact that I just get to sit back and watch, doesn't piss me off, create jealousy or what have you.... I'd just like to have an idea of what's actually being taken so we can manage Wildlife Populations better.

Sounds reasonable...but I fail to see the real point because we have no idea about the affects on game animal populations by predation [wolves, bears, cougars, coyotes etc] not to mention the vehicle and train collisions, and natural mortality.

I would think more emphasis should be put on actual 'in the field' wildlife counts as an reasonably accurate measurment of wildlife populations?

Mr. Dean
10-30-2011, 12:35 PM
[/B]

Sounds reasonable...I would think more emphasis should be put on actual 'in the field' wildlife counts as an reasonably accurate measurment of wildlife populations?

In a perfect world, yes. That would be the optimum.

But in the world that we do live in (deficits, budget cuts, health care getting flushed down the toilet...), doesn't it make sense that we (all of us), do what we can to ensure sustainability? A reporting program could be very easy (read: Cheap) to put in to place. And the more info gathered, the better the net result and the 'more perfect', we become.

CanuckShooter
10-30-2011, 04:39 PM
The information would be of limited use. IMHO, it would be like counting your eggs after the omelet has been cooked...about the only real use I can see in collecting information like complete harvest stats is so the anti hunters can look at the stats and say "OMG they murdered that many???". I would rather see them put the efforts into actually doing field counts...figuring out migration patterns etc; than have them trying to determine wildlife populations by such a miniscule tidbit of information as hunter harvest rates. I would like to know that when they issue me a mountain goat LEH..that there are actually mountain goats to hunt!!!

papaken
10-30-2011, 04:42 PM
If that were the case, then there would be no racism against all the other people in Canada who do not have First Nations rights. Racism is not the fault of the minority but the intolerance of the person who cannot accept other peoples rights. First Nations did not make the rules they just became educated and choose to in most cases use the rights they have left. I like others (as a white, middle aged, meat eating, hunter) am discriminated against by numerous groups and individuals but choose not to let it make me judge all others by the actions of a few.

Mr. Dean
10-30-2011, 05:47 PM
The information would be of limited use. IMHO, it would be like counting your eggs after the omelet has been cooked...about the only real use I can see in collecting information like complete harvest stats is so the anti hunters can look at the stats and say "OMG they murdered that many???". I would rather see them put the efforts into actually doing field counts...figuring out migration patterns etc; than have them trying to determine wildlife populations by such a miniscule tidbit of information as hunter harvest rates. I would like to know that when they issue me a mountain goat LEH..that there are actually mountain goats to hunt!!!

We are clearly apart.

beni
11-02-2011, 11:12 PM
[/B]

I would think more emphasis should be put on actual 'in the field' wildlife counts as an reasonably accurate measurment of wildlife populations?

Like the Heli counts that they do? Like when they opened up one area around Clearwater (can't remember which exact zone in Reg 3) when all other game animals at the time were closed and almost wiped out the population entirely? The rest of BC closed our moose season for 10 years after that, I think it was 5 years before my family even saw a moose in the area.

That kind of in the field counts?

TylerMc44
11-03-2011, 09:48 PM
ok guys im a status indian, and IT IS WHAT IT IS. first of all no one really knows much about some of the things status indians have gone through in previous generations. Second: Theres a reason why our so called "GOVERNMENT" gave us those rights and privlages, wether it be hunting rights or whatever, there was reasons. "THINGS" had to have happened for them to do that. I mean wens the last time the government gave anyone anything without a fight or not giving at all.

all my friends and family do not abuse there hunting privlages, theres always gonna be a few bad apples that make a bad name for everyone, which ever race it may be.

i hunt inside my traditional territory, and do not take more than i need. ive seen alot of different opinions on this thread. ive seen some nasty things, some in accurate info, and alot of crap.

OHHHH and ive seen and heard of alot of NON LEGAL moose, and deer shot dead and left or tried to be hidden because there antler werent the legal number of points, Who do you guys think did that??????, because ill guarantee you STATUS INDIANS would never do that, theyd take it home. They got nothing to hide.

CanuckShooter
11-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Like the Heli counts that they do? Like when they opened up one area around Clearwater (can't remember which exact zone in Reg 3) when all other game animals at the time were closed and almost wiped out the population entirely? The rest of BC closed our moose season for 10 years after that, I think it was 5 years before my family even saw a moose in the area.

That kind of in the field counts?

NO....what do field counts have to do with opening up seasons when things are closed in other areas? I was talking about them actually doing counts to determine the wildlife populations in a given area. How do you determine an annual allowable harvest if you have no idea [best guess maybe] on how many animals are in the area??