PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have luck at Puntzi lake yet

NIHunter
10-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Just wondering if anyone with leh bull draws in 5 12a has had any luck yet thanks..............

specbelly
10-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Got my bull there on Sep 23. Tough hunting as the weather was so warm. They were back off the swamps in the heavy timber

srupp
10-18-2011, 11:48 AM
have had 4 guys send me photos of their bulls...as specbelly put it thats where they WERE...but some of it was warmth another pressure was LOTS of hunters day and night..

congrads specbelly

Steven

specbelly
10-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks Srupp, only saw one other hunter the week we were there and they saw zippo in 11 days. Had to canoe across the small lake and hike in to find the buggers. We were well north west (about 24KMS) of Puntzi but awesome country

srupp
10-18-2011, 04:30 PM
LMAO.." hmmm accross the lake and hike in " sounds really familliar...congrads again...staying away from easy access drastically increases success

Steven

specbelly
10-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Steven: Still amazes me how many hunters will not get out of thier trucks then complain no game around. Get off the beaten track just a little ways and there are critters all over the place.

russm86
10-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Kinda, off topic, but I'm headed into that area with on friday with a group of 5 guys with 4 bull draws, but are there any grizzly's in the area? Much chance of running into any?

balian
10-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Just came back from there 2 days ago. Saw nothing but a few mule deer does ( very skitish) . Lots of hunters , nobody had anything. There were guys that have been there for 7-10 days without seeing a single moose and working the country hard. We spend a lot of time through the region, did calling as well, hiking deep still nothing to be seen.. oh well. This is my second time in that area and I will probably never hunt there again. It feels like there is no animals in the forests, I don't know if it is because of the wolves or what but I have never seen such an vast area with great forest and no animals around. Also wondering why the odds for the LEH are 1.1:1 there, now I think I know why. I would like to thanks Steven (srupp) for the great advice though, will use that in future moose hunts. Cheers

specbelly
10-19-2011, 09:20 AM
There are Griz in there, didn't see any this trip but a fair amount of sign. The moose are there, just have to find the pockets. Wolves are there in fairly good numbers

russm86
10-19-2011, 10:59 AM
I just spoke to the resort we will be staying at the other night and they said at that time there were 4 bull moose and 2 bucks hanging in the resort.

NIHunter
10-19-2011, 02:35 PM
My hunting party is up there now and they have one bull down and one black bear as of Monday night.........

jml11
10-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Spent a fall doing some wildife work in the area a few years ago, certainly some primo moose habitat in the area but I only saw a few animals but did see tracks often. Did see a few mule deer as well but not what I would have expected, did find quite a few deer sheds though. Really liked the looks of the country in the Chezacut area, especially around the one ranch, but most of it is private around the big wetland in that area. The rancher had several very nice moose racks laying around his property, probably shot from his porch, lol!!

lakelander
10-19-2011, 04:30 PM
they always tell you theres moose there to rent you the rooms

"skma"
10-19-2011, 07:27 PM
had my leh tag thr but luck would have it, off to wrk in manitoba good luck there on ur moosie tags mayb hopefully muledeer when i get bac

russm86
10-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Lakelander, we arent renting a cabin there just campsite, but they already knew we were coming so don't see point in lying about it at this point. lol.