PDA

View Full Version : Need advice - 12 ga slugs on whitetail deer

rocksteady
10-18-2011, 09:24 AM
So, since I already have a cow elk and a WT buck in the freezer, I am looking for a challenge to fill me doe tag....Can always do archery in December, so just looking for something between now and then.....Shooting a doe round here with a rifle isn't too much of a challenge...

I plan to try to take my doe with my 12 guage and a "reloaded" slug.....My buddy built them and says they are awesome. They are a 500 grain round ball...aka a Maxi_Ball....

When I told him that I would take a doe behind the shoulder he advised heavily against it. He said the hydrostatic shock and impact would basically bloodshoot all of the meat....He recommended a head shot (not gonna get into that debate, yet).....I will only do a head shot if it is very close range (maybe 20 yards with a slug)....

Searching the internet, I can not seem to find any information about how bad the blood shot would be with this type of round....(slugs in general)

So my question is, for you that HAVE shot deer sized game with a slug, what can I expect for damage (DOes this guy have a valid point??)....

Should I only do a head shot???
Should I buy some factory slugs? If so, can I take a boiler room shot or will it be the same end result????

Thanks in advance....I also plan to attempt to get the hunt on video:mrgreen:

lilhoss
10-18-2011, 09:34 AM
I would prefer the factory slugs,unless you can take multiple shots with your buddies loads and assure a good grouping.As with any rifle caliber,a double lung shot(just back of the shoulders) will provide less damage than a front shoulder shot.I've shot the factory loads and gotten pretty good range and groupings out to 75 yards max.,on a gun with a scope.Open sights on my pump I prefer a closer range.Shooting blacktail deer,so the comparison is there.

rocksteady
10-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Thanks Hoss..... I won't do a front shoulder, but just behind....How much damage did the slugs do on the blackies???

I am shooting open sights (bead), no scope, so its gonna be a close one....

steel_ram
10-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Shot about a dozen deer with slugs. The soft lead does tend to expand rapidly on bone, but damage is usually only the near shoulder. Rib/lung shots no issue. I wouldn't say slugs damage any more meat than a 243 or other high velocity centerfire. Most of the time I used plain old winchester 1 oz slugs.

rocksteady
10-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks Steel_Ram, that is what I was suspecting but could not find any conclusive information on the netski!

I will be shooting 2 3/4" slugs, I have shot those 3" magnum slugs years ago (at paper) and I got a bleeding nose and a black eye (Thumb into face on recoil),

rocksteady
10-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Got it done....

Dropped the hammer on a whitey doe with the round ball/black powder reloads.... I think I may have to build some :) Maybe not black powder though, god that stuff stank after I shot....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?71145-Rocksteady-s-2011-Hunting-Adventures.../page5

rcar
10-24-2011, 03:15 PM
I have done quite a bit of hunting in Ohio back in the day where it was shotgun. If you can shoot it accurately and get a good side shot then not too much damage but as has aready been posted the slugs do expand quickly on bone and can waste a lot of meat.

Good luck on making the hunt fun!

E.B.
10-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Have shot a few deer with 12, 16, and 20 gauge. Just keep it away from the shoulder and in the ribs and there is no issues. btw the 20 gauge out performs the larger gauges and are cheap to buy.