PDA

View Full Version : What to do when a deer snorts at you

andrewscag
10-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Newbie with a question here. I was out last week and want some advice on how to handle a situation. I was posted near a ridge top on a deer trail just after daybreak and heard a deer coming up the hill to me. He got probably about 35-40 feet from me and although the wind was on my side, stopped moving and started snorting at me for a bit. The cover was somewhat thick and I couldn't see him (or her I suppose) at all. So I waited, figuring if he hadn't spooked and I didn't do anything he should continue on and I could get a view and a good shot. Well I never did see him. Let him move a bit and he didn't sound hurried or anything but must have been moving away from me. After about 15 min I decided to push forward to see where he was since I couldn't hear anything, but no deer. What should I have done? I figured at the time that it was best not to do anything rather than do the wrong thing, but I'm starting to second guess myself thinking that if he was snorting at me I should have just moved forward. He obviously knew something was there and was challenging it so I should have moved forward and at least had a chance at him. What do you guys think?

beni
10-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Snort back. (Have heard it can sometimes work)

That doesn't work? Well you are 99% out of luck. You were had, he/she was snorting at you. Move to another area

MAYBE the wind got to him/you made too much noise. Happened to me once last year hunting WT's in thick cover, luckily for the Doe that snorted the season had just ended, 30 yards away broadside snorting at me...

Jagermeister
10-17-2011, 11:26 PM
You must've be hunting whitetail. This is characteristic of them when they briefly wind you and they are not sure. Most often they will backtrack and then circle around to get the the downwind side. You probably came up the trail from the other direction and if this was so, next time backtrack a hundred yards or more and wait. If you're lucky, he or she will come right to you. Do it as quietly as possibe.

andrewscag
10-17-2011, 11:39 PM
^ I was hunting mulies but good advice none the less. The quiet would have been a problem, but I bet that would have worked better than my choice! Thanks guys

happyhunter
10-17-2011, 11:44 PM
make kissing noises, that will sometimes make them pause before they inevitably take off with the white tail flying high

The Dawg
10-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Burp at him.

Allen50
10-17-2011, 11:50 PM
run like hell hes going to stomp your ass,,lol lol..

Mr. Dean
10-18-2011, 12:15 AM
It was on to ya and is a sound to alarm other deer in the area.

IMO not a lot to do..... If you had visual, burping, whistling, could've offered an opportunity for a shot.

Ozone
10-18-2011, 02:10 AM
Burp or a grunt sometimes works

Glenny
10-18-2011, 02:45 AM
Muleies snort too.

MEATEATER
10-18-2011, 06:10 AM
maybe it just had something up its nose lol lol

SimilkameenSlayer
10-18-2011, 06:49 AM
run .... lol

mule deer snort a lot .... mostly as a warning to each other or less likely as a warning to back away.

actually, i like hearing mulies snort, it's a cool sound in the woods.

boxhitch
10-18-2011, 07:11 AM
You must've be hunting whitetail. This is characteristic of them when they briefly wind you and they are not sure. Most often they will backtrack and then circle around to get the the downwind side. You probably came up the trail from the other direction and if this was so, next time backtrack a hundred yards or more and wait. If you're lucky, he or she will come right to you. Do it as quietly as possibe.Good attactic
If the deer was coming to your calling, move downwind and keep calling, sound like a deer moving, and hope to find a sight line

Big Lew
10-18-2011, 07:20 AM
run like hell hes going to stomp your ass,,lol lol..

that's the giggle for the day!

greenhorn
10-18-2011, 07:22 AM
offer it some otrivin....

lovemywinchester
10-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Had a big mulie snort at me yesterday. I was walking through a small clearcut to check my trail cams and as I came up over a ridge about 50' from the tree line he ripped a big snort from the trees. It was really loud. Surprisingly loud. Stopped me in my tracks. First time I ever heard one do that so I thought it might be a moose. I had my moose tag so was getting excited thinking maybe a immy was there as well. He ripped another big snort and took off. I looked to my right and there were a few other mulies taking off from a small hillside quite aways away so they can hear that snort from a long way.

andrewscag
10-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks again guys. Sounds like there wasn't a hell of a lot I could have done, but at least I don't feel like as much of a loser for not getting a deer that was so close. My opinion was that it was most likely a mulie. Not very good whitetail habitat but perfect for mules. The rest of the story you have probably guessed but I went back the next day and didn't see any sign of him. Guess he'll just be bigger next year unless one of you guys gets him before then!

BernDawg
10-18-2011, 09:36 AM
A few years ago I was set up at the top of a rise along a cut line in AB, well cammed up and resting against a tree. A small group of does (WT) had been pushed out of the tree line to my right by something and started to settle down and graze in the cut line. They came out of the tree line about 20 yds from me and started grazing in my direction. I should probably let you all know now that it was antlered only at the time. The largest doe had gotten quite close to me (about 5 yds) and, as it was quite still, didn't get wind of me until then. When she did get a snoot full of human her head shot up and she stared straight at me but couldn't figure out what I was. (I had a viel draped over my field hat) After a few seconds she let out a huge snort and stomped the ground so hard I felt the earth move. (oh baby!) That got the attention of the other 3 and when she decided to take off they all followed, flags a-waving!
The point of my story is that it's fricken cool to be that close AND get that reaction even though I couldn't shoot.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
A few years ago I was set up at the top of a rise along a cut line in AB, well cammed up and resting against a tree. A small group of does (WT) had been pushed out of the tree line to my right by something and started to settle down and graze in the cut line. They came out of the tree line about 20 yds from me and started grazing in my direction. I should probably let you all know now that it was antlered only at the time. The largest doe had gotten quite close to me (about 5 yds) and, as it was quite still, didn't get wind of me until then. When she did get a snoot full of human her head shot up and she stared straight at me but couldn't figure out what I was. (I had a viel draped over my field hat) After a few seconds she let out a huge snort and stomped the ground so hard I felt the earth move. (oh baby!) That got the attention of the other 3 and when she decided to take off they all followed, flags a-waving!
The point of my story is that it's fricken cool to be that close AND get that reaction even though I couldn't shoot.

yer that's cool.
very similar thing happen to me with a mule doe this season, was standing behind a small fir tree and she walked right up to me, funny thing was i started laughing cuase the situation was funny [to me]. deer can be like cats and be very very curious at times.

Weatherby Fan
10-18-2011, 11:45 AM
In my experience Mule Deer have 3 different forms of calls, a fawn bleat,blowing or huffing which mostly doe's will do when they are tending to a fawn bleat but can't see the danger associated with the fawn bleat and they also stomp their front feet in conjunction with that,
I have seen bucks and doe's also blow usually when they know something is there but can't see or smell it mostly getting towards the rut bucks,and then the grunt,oink or burping sound seems to be a more social thing from what I have seen,
This is just my observation after hunting them for 30 years,I could be way off base but it's just what I've seen.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-18-2011, 11:59 AM
I've had some sucess snorting back at whities..but they were always does. Called one back several times and she would snort at me each time and then run away...but back she came. Of course, I was downwind or her. Could have shot her several times. Why can't bucks act like this?

SSS

russm
10-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Get yourself a challenge weez call and try to get him to come at ya for a fight next time.

ZENYO
10-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I had a doe (or buck maybe, was in the trees) snort and stomp at me a couple of weeks ago. I"ve never heard this before and didn't know what to do... So... I started to snort and stomp back, my 6 year old (on his very first hunting trip) couldn't stop laughing... LMAO... Funny stuff...

juiceterboost
10-18-2011, 12:12 PM
yes ive had numerous mulies snort at me when the wind shifts slightly