PDA

View Full Version : C.O.R.E. hunting with firearms question

elcazador
10-17-2011, 11:00 AM
I did take the core to get my hunter number and be able to have a hunting license, to pass the core you go through a firearms handling, and identification.

I don't own a firearm but my hunting partner does, I'm a bow hunter. can i borrow one of his rifles while we are both hunting at the same time? do i need any kind of firearm permit or license to hunt with a weapon that is not mine? i will use it while I'm with him in his car, transporting the weapons etc.

thanks in advanced for any info :-D

Bigbuckadams
10-17-2011, 11:10 AM
To the best of my knowledge, you have to have a P.O.L. to "borrow" a gun. Although he will be there, if you use the gun, you are "borrowing it". I may be incorrect, but that is the way I interpreted the law.

gizmo_85
10-17-2011, 11:36 AM
You can use his firearm as long as he(Owner) has direct supervision of you.

tristanmac
10-18-2011, 06:14 PM
okay, my friend has his core and hunting licence, but no PAL. he told me that he can borrow his parents gun and go hunting with me, ( I have a pal) as long as im in direct supervison of him. So I guess technically id be borrowing his parents gun and allowing him to use it. I didnt thing it was legal so haven't agreed to go out with him. Is this legal? or am I right?

Steeleco
10-18-2011, 06:41 PM
I did take the core to get my hunter number and be able to have a hunting license, to pass the core you go through a firearms handling, and identification.

I don't own a firearm but my hunting partner does, I'm a bow hunter. can i borrow one of his rifles while we are both hunting at the same time? do i need any kind of firearm permit or license to hunt with a weapon that is not mine? i will use it while I'm with him in his car, transporting the weapons etc.

thanks in advanced for any info :-D

The person with the PAL must be in direct supervision of the person using his gun. You can hunt on your license and cut your own tags but you must hunt together at all times.

okay, my friend has his core and hunting licence, but no PAL. he told me that he can borrow his parents gun and go hunting with me, ( I have a pal) as long as im in direct supervison of him. So I guess technically id be borrowing his parents gun and allowing him to use it. I didnt thing it was legal so haven't agreed to go out with him. Is this legal? or am I right?

Your right, he can't borrow his folks gun, but you can and supervise your buddy as he uses it, as the example above. But in your case, I'd get a note from the owner with their PAL number giving you permission. A copy of the Reg cert isn't a bad idea either. Now before others pipe in that this is all BS and unnecessary (FWIW I agree) for the time it takes to get all this, is the risk of a run in with the authorities and a bad or no day hunting worth it??

KB90
10-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Perfectly legal, as long you are with a PAL license holder.

Ddog
10-18-2011, 06:51 PM
FWIW, under the firearms act:
Authorized Lending

Authorization to lend

33. Subject to section 34, a person may lend a firearm only if
(a) the person
(i) has reasonable grounds to believe that the borrower holds a licence authorizing the borrower to possess that kind of firearm, and
(ii) lends the borrower the registration certificate for the firearm, except in the case of a borrower who uses the firearm to hunt or trap in order to sustain himself or herself or his or her family; or
(b) the borrower uses the firearm under the direct and immediate supervision of the person in the same manner in which the person may lawfully use it.
Authorization to lend firearms, etc., to the Crown, etc.

34. A person may lend a firearm, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device, ammunition or prohibited ammunition to Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province, to a police force or to a municipality if
(a) in the case of a firearm, the transferor lends the borrower the registration certificate for the firearm; and
(b) the prescribed conditions are complied with.

tristanmac
10-18-2011, 06:51 PM
alright, thanks for clearing it up for me steeleco

Ddog
10-18-2011, 06:56 PM
depending on how one interprets the firearms act, does one need to meet all the requirements of section 33? or just one?

Steeleco
10-18-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm no lawyer Ddog but I read it to mean you must comply with (a)(i) AND (ii)

cloverphil
10-18-2011, 08:00 PM
I am good friends with a CORE and PAL instructor and as I understand it :

if you don't have a PAL, only your CORE, then you may use your friends rifle if he has a PAL and is with in arms reach of you and he is not carrying another rifle himself

Ddog
10-19-2011, 04:36 PM
more people must have some insight on this subject