PDA

View Full Version : Co's

wsm
10-17-2011, 10:57 AM
got a phone call from a frustrated friend last night, co's gave him a hard time i gather on the weekend about a few things . having dealt with co's myself i have noticed they seem to force on people what they think happened as opposed to what actually happened. (try to create a crime where none existed):confused:I like to hear what your experience with co's have been like.
and on side note i have run into some really good co's

Bigbuckadams
10-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Only time I ever saw one was when I was fishing, very friendly, no issues.

jtred
10-17-2011, 11:27 AM
I've been checked a few times over the years and without fail they were friendly and courteous. Everytime we ended up having a great chat about how the season is going and they were always full of information about different areas to hunt and even how to hunt them. Great guys doing a tough ( almost impossible) job with dedication and very little funding. The CO's here in the Creston area are a dedicated bunch. Every year they come to a few of the Rod and Gun club meetings to keep us up to date on issues affecting the valley and the province in general. That said if they feel they are not getting the truth or suspect someone of wrongdoing they might, understandably, become a bit peeved.

REMINGTON JIM
10-17-2011, 11:34 AM
got a phone call from a frustrated friend last night, co's gave him a hard time i gather on the weekend about a few things . having dealt with co's myself i have noticed they seem to force on people what they think happened as opposed to what actually happened. (try to create a crime where none existed):confused:I like to hear what your experience with co's have been like.
and on side note i have run into some really good co's
Never had a problem - always all OK ! I think since you started this post you should share what your friends problem with the CO's was ? :confused: Regards Jim

steel_ram
10-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Some of the rookies can be a little over zealous but usually they are very considerate and helpful. They're pretty good at spotting a BS'r and if something raises their suspicion, they will try pressing a few buttons.

Mikey Rafiki
10-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Buddy forgot to leave the dink on. Almost got a big old fine. Have forgotten it myself when quartering and packing.

They gotta push and prod a little, not an easy job.

Never had any bad experiences.

wsm
10-17-2011, 11:48 AM
co checked his tag to see was cut correctly i guess and held him up over 3 hrs due to a spot of blood on his licence . friend said he cut tag ,afterwards put his licence into his pocket .dealt with animal. when he got back to camp ,before washing he put his licence into his wallet while still some blood on his hands .

wsm
10-17-2011, 11:51 AM
the co also said he had to admit he touched the animal before the tag or he was going to start confiscating things . that absolute bs

IronNoggin
10-17-2011, 12:02 PM
CO's are Human, just lake the rest of us. And, also just like the rest of us, they come in all shades of character and attitude.

Here's a case in point, a study of contrasts if you will...

For many years there was a local CO running the show here. He had himself absolutely convinced that anyone who spent a lot of time out on the rivers or hunting grounds, and were successful at those undertakings, HAD to be doing something illegal. Such was his conviction, that he openly harassed many of the area's best rods & guns at every occasion. In these interactions very frequently he would directly insinuate wrongdoings of every conceivable nature, and his line of "questioning" was arrogant enough that most he dealt with developed an intense dislike of the fellow. Never one to show discretion, he would and did charge for the most innocent of indiscretions, to the point of nailing grandchildren for obscure regulations right in front of their parents and grandparents.

As a consequence, he turned many away from the idea of cooperating and helping his own Ministry, in action turning what should have been Allies into borderline Enemies. This continued over many years, and the "relationship" between the resource users and the Ministry suffered greatly.

Finally, he made the mistake of charging a couple of influential locals with a trumped up BS charge. Those Folks did not take it lying down, as most previously had done. In the subsequent investigation, a fair amount of his shenanigans came to light. He was reduced in rank, and moved immediately to another district well removed from this area.

The local HardCores were concerned just what type of Man his replacement would turn out to be. I know, for I was one of them. Turned out, we had little cause for concern! The replacement himself was an experienced angler and hunter, had a Good Level Head on his shoulders, extended discretion, and in general gave everyone he met in the field a quick and earnest smile while stopping for a friendly chat about the area's hunting and/or fishing. It was a short matter of time, and word of this Gentleman spread. What a breath of fresh air after the years of the exact opposite! And, the greatest result is that the locals now show a new respect to The Man Behind The Badge, and are once again cooperating and working with the Ministry as a consequence.

Hard to believe the two were actually engaged at the same function. They were so diametrically apposed in the way they went about their job as to be day and night. This "new" fellow certainly has lived up to what we expect and admire in a CO! I hope he hangs his hat here for many years to come!

You never know which character type you will run into behind that badge out there. Keep your I's dotted and your T's crossed in all things related to ethics and regulation, and you shouldn't have a problem. Pays to be polite, even when the fella on the other side of the conversation isn't so much!

Cheers,
Nog

bigwhiteys
10-17-2011, 12:02 PM
i have noticed they seem to force on people what they think happened as opposed
to what actually happened. (try to create a crime where none existed):confused:I
like to hear what your experience with co's have been like.

Experienced this bear hunting this year... Had a buddy (PAL holder) who was packing a 30-06 when we were spring bear hunting, having shot a bear the previous year and not enjoying the meat, he had no intention to shoot another bear, rather provide himself with a little protection while tagging along with me, not an unreasonable action around bears.

I passed on several bears over the weekend and we were packing up camp Sunday morn, when a CO came sneaking into our camp. (parked his truck up on the road behind a row of trees and came walking in, surprising us.)

He was very polite, courteous, checked out my license, guns etc... all was good. Said his goodbyes, have a safe trip home and then he Left our camp, only to come driving back in 45 mins later as were just about to leave, singles me out... Tells me I check out just fine, but he's worried about my partner packing "such a big gun" if he didn't intend to shoot anything... Now he wants me to explain!!! Seriously... He's a PAL holder who's packing a gun in the bush...?? Not a crime!!! Trying to create a crime where none existed was right! I let him know that as well, but he still took pictures of our trucks, quads, and took all our particulars to start a file on us. Then he "interviewed" my buddy privately in his truck for approx 30 mins, while we waited in the rain to get going on the 2.5 hr drive home. He finally realized his efforts were a waste of time and ended up saying his goodbyes and have a safe trip home a 2nd time..., but now we've got a file on us started as "potential bear poachers???" WTF!!!! I realize the CO doesn't know us from Adam but we are so far from poachers it ain't funny.

He actually really pi$$ed me off and I have about a 2 page letter drafted up that I haven't sent in yet, not sure if I will, but the whole situation and the way he handled it didn't seem right to me. We had no bear, no evidence of a bear, he didn't even know we were hunters until we actually told him after he asked us, instead he tried incredibly hard from several angles to make a criminal situation where none existed.

If we had two dead bears and only 1 tag, then I could see there would be a big problem, that was not the case. It would have been a much better experience if he could have caught the guy who stole my f#%ing chainsaw!

I highly respect what they do for such little pay, but I was not happy with the way we were harrassed and held up from our destination in this instance. My only negative experience so far out of many license spot checks.

Carl

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Carl, of course he would have a file on your bud as a potential poacher. Under the Wildlife Act, he was "hunting", as he was searching for game while in possession of a firearm. I'd say he's lucky he didn't get handed a ticket.

Know your laws before you wander out into the bush.

"hunt" includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking or lying in wait for wildlife, or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured,
(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or
(b) while in possession of a firearm or other weapon;

greenhorn
10-17-2011, 12:20 PM
co checked his tag to see was cut correctly i guess and held him up over 3 hrs due to a spot of blood on his licence . friend said he cut tag ,afterwards put his licence into his pocket .dealt with animal. when he got back to camp ,before washing he put his licence into his wallet while still some blood on his hands .

Wow! Hope they never look at my license!!! The whole thing has a red tinge from being stuffed in my pack along with deboned meat!!!

Trapper D
10-17-2011, 12:33 PM
havent had any issues with co's or fisheries officers. the only time there was any issue , 10 years back , coming out of placer lake area , there was a highway roadcheck , and we had a leftover grouse wrapped in bacon and tinfoil that we cooked at camp but didnt eat the last one , gave us the verbal warning about wings not being attached, let us keep it , and on our way. Usually my conversations with them are long, as im always interested in talking with them , and they in return are up for outdoor talk. They have a host of valuable information, and are generally very helpful, and sometimes if you get the right guy , he will give you priceless information. All in all good guys. my concern is the next generation of co's , may not be the good ole boys , like the present ones.

Caveman
10-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I had a few encounters with CO's over the years. Never had an issue, they have always been professional in there conduct. My best experience was around Surprise Lake outside of Atlin. While taking a mid-day break I stopped at the creek running out of Surprise Lake and decided to catch a few grayling. A CO came by so I reeled in and walked up to my quad where my gun and stuff was and struck up a conversation with him. He gave me some good advice and pointed me in the right direction. Before he left he did tell me that all region 6 was single barbless, where I had a three prong Panther Martin on. I thanked him as I said I saw a package by an old fire pit and knew I had one so preceded to use it. The fact I had none on shore may have saved my *ss, but he was good about it and went on his way.

Weatherby Fan
10-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Every year in October we would get the 3rd degree,they would show up to our camp and we would have a cpl elk and 3 or 4 deer hanging,and always the same line,no one else is getting any animals where r u getting them,twice we had to take him to our gutpiles or what was left of them and show them,
I know there just doing there job but some of the questioning !
The best one was when he said the guide up the way hasn't gotten an animal in 2 weeks and how is it that you guys have some hanging.
Once everything checked out they always come around and seemed to be friendly enough though.

hopsing
10-17-2011, 12:49 PM

This is their favorite infraction and most hunters just pay. Ever since they have started hanging out with the mounted polish around game check, they picked out bad habits of profiling and making quota.

Ambush
10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
the co also said he had to admit he touched the animal before the tag or he was going to start confiscating things . that absolute bs

If this went on for too long, I'd simply ask for my citation and say " see you on the court date". Absolutely nothing illegal about blood on a tag. It means nothing, in the field or the courtroom.

I'm all for co-operating and they have a tough, usualy thankless, job. But if I can read a personality problem in the guy, then I'll respond in kind.
I've not had a lot of interactions with CO's but all have been positive. The only problem I've got with CO's is, there just isn't near enough of them out there.
Another reason why the few that are jerks make it hard on themselves by alienating well intentioned hunters.

BlacktailStalker
10-17-2011, 01:09 PM
I havent had any unpleasant dealings with them in person.
I had one more or less indirectly threaten me on this site when I said wolves were the rapists and molestors of the animal world (basically savages)
He told me to watch my back or someone would be coming to my home to visit me.

I had a CI guy tell me when he couldnt inspect a cat before the due time (after I had already brought it up once to be inspected, on time, but it was too frozen to pull a tooth) that it wasnt a big deal if it went past the due date...
Time elapsed before I could drive the 45 mins to have it done again, I think it was a month.
COs issued me a warning, which is whatever, fine, however I explained the situation in detail and what the CO told me is he said he cant speak for the CI guy but in the future I need to make sure its not late or I can be fined.
Why can't you speak for a guy who is representing a legal requirement and giving false information ?
Maybe if the CI was available it wouldn't have been a problem OR if they had one in the town I actually lived in...

What pissed me off is I made the effort to have it inspected on time, but due to being too frozen still, had to go back.
Now the problem with this is, one of my friends had TWO cats up there a few days prior that were both too frozen to get a tooth and the same C.I said dont worry about coming back.
So what the **** people, get it straight !?
It needs to be one way, for everyone, across the board, all the time.

I could care less as I had no bad intentions but these kind of occurrences are why they have less help from the general public when they NEED it.
People are too concerned of being held accountable for something they didn't do or weren't involved in.

bigwhiteys
10-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Carl, of course he would have a file on your bud as a potential poacher.
Under the Wildlife Act, he was "hunting", as he was searching for game while in
possession of a firearm. I'd say he's lucky he didn't get handed a
ticket.

Thank you for your comments Pat. Thankfully he wasn't fined as it was pretty obvious he wasn't the "hunter" and the CO clearly realized that after his "interview", but if he wanted to "hand him a ticket" there is a dispute process that we could go through to try and have that situation rectified. "CO" doesn't mean always in the right.

The CO observed us "in our camp" actually taking down our wall tent, my friend was not even in possesion of the rifle at the time nor was I as they were both already put away in the trucks. We were not engaged in "hunting" of any fashion.

Carl

Wild one
10-17-2011, 01:24 PM
The only problem I have with CO's is we don't have enough of them. I have only seen 2 CO's ever in BC 1 when I was 11 years old and 1 when I was 28 years old. Both times we were asked some basic questions and on are way.

Glenny
10-17-2011, 01:56 PM
The only problem I have with CO's is we don't have enough of them. I have only seen 2 CO's ever in BC 1 when I was 11 years old and 1 when I was 28 years old. Both times we were asked some basic questions and on are way.

Well didn't Gordo pink slip most of them about a week after he was elected the first time?

*bcgold*
10-17-2011, 03:11 PM
First time I ever saw a Co was a kid.We were camped on the side of a road early spring. Still lots of snow, so we couldn't go fishing. The lake was unsafe for ice fishing. A Co came by a older guy, talked to the parents for awhile and left. Couple of hours later he came back with a older snow mobile let us have it for the long weekend. (Merritt area mid 70s)
Seen COs since, but first time I shot a moose, my uncle at his cabin was showing me how to skin and take care of the meat. Well, because he don't use a butcher(does all himself), he cuts the sex off. After figuring out the mistake he pointed out what to show if I got to a road check. Sure enough Toll booth game check. Right way before showing the moose, told them what had happen. Two Cos were looking at the meat right way one wanted to play tough.I focussed on the one Co," you can see where it was cut off by accident" He understood and everything was cool after that and the other Co chilled out. I think being clam and showing respect saved losing meat and a fined. The guy acting tough ended up being pretty cool.
Couple years later, hunting and driving out of the bush to the cabin I notice a black truck slowly making his way in. Thought it was alittle late going in before dark. Just as we were passing him looking in the side mirror noticed his plate half up. Got to the cabin phoned the COs. They showed up to the cabin got all the info and they headed up. Hour later they showed up scratching their heads. (alittle lost) So next few hours I took them for a huge tour ,but could not find the truck. It is amazing what you see at night. Afew days later found a flock of ravens in the bush also found a moose. (back end gone) Phone CO came took hair samples found remains of a bullet. Nice guys.
Tough job with little or no respect, I think.

wsm
10-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Tough job with little or no respect, I think. ........... yes i agree tough job . but respect is earned not just given

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Well didn't Gordo pink slip most of them about a week after he was elected the first time?

No. Biggest cutbacks came in the mid-90s when the NDP gutted the MoE by 44%.

Probably not what you or your union wanted to hear.

Tikka270wsm
10-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Never had a problem with a CO so far but i did have an issue with a DFO guy on the Nitinat River one year. The limit for Chinook is 2 ( 1 over 77cm and 1 under). After catching my limit and getting back to the truck, DFO pulled up and accused me of keeping a Coho, which at the time were closed for retention. One of the springs I had was apprently way too silver to be a Chinook, if you can believe that. I had to point out the black tongue and gums and spots on the tail before he finally gave up harassing me. The encounter left a sour taste in my mouth for a while but I can now kind of see where the guy was coming from. This last September I had a guy ask me if the Chinook he had, (already bonked) was in fact a "Salmon". I replied," Yesssss, that is a Cccchhhinnnooook Salmon dumb ass!" It's amazing how many people down there that don't know their fish. Another guy in the same day told me that one of the Springs I had was a Chum. I had to shake my head. I can only imagine how many people like this the CO's and Fisheries Officers encounter in a year.

Jonas111
10-17-2011, 06:09 PM
CO's are Human, just lake the rest of us. And, also just like the rest of us, they come in all shades of character and attitude.

Here's a case in point, a study of contrasts if you will...

For many years there was a local CO running the show here. He had himself absolutely convinced that anyone who spent a lot of time out on the rivers or hunting grounds, and were successful at those undertakings, HAD to be doing something illegal. Such was his conviction, that he openly harassed many of the area's best rods & guns at every occasion. In these interactions very frequently he would directly insinuate wrongdoings of every conceivable nature, and his line of "questioning" was arrogant enough that most he dealt with developed an intense dislike of the fellow. Never one to show discretion, he would and did charge for the most innocent of indiscretions, to the point of nailing grandchildren for obscure regulations right in front of their parents and grandparents.

As a consequence, he turned many away from the idea of cooperating and helping his own Ministry, in action turning what should have been Allies into borderline Enemies. This continued over many years, and the "relationship" between the resource users and the Ministry suffered greatly.

Finally, he made the mistake of charging a couple of influential locals with a trumped up BS charge. Those Folks did not take it lying down, as most previously had done. In the subsequent investigation, a fair amount of his shenanigans came to light. He was reduced in rank, and moved immediately to another district well removed from this area.

The local HardCores were concerned just what type of Man his replacement would turn out to be. I know, for I was one of them. Turned out, we had little cause for concern! The replacement himself was an experienced angler and hunter, had a Good Level Head on his shoulders, extended discretion, and in general gave everyone he met in the field a quick and earnest smile while stopping for a friendly chat about the area's hunting and/or fishing. It was a short matter of time, and word of this Gentleman spread. What a breath of fresh air after the years of the exact opposite! And, the greatest result is that the locals now show a new respect to The Man Behind The Badge, and are once again cooperating and working with the Ministry as a consequence.

Hard to believe the two were actually engaged at the same function. They were so diametrically apposed in the way they went about their job as to be day and night. This "new" fellow certainly has lived up to what we expect and admire in a CO! I hope he hangs his hat here for many years to come!

You never know which character type you will run into behind that badge out there. Keep your I's dotted and your T's crossed in all things related to ethics and regulation, and you shouldn't have a problem. Pays to be polite, even when the fella on the other side of the conversation isn't so much!

Cheers,
Nog

This is almost the exact same story I was going to tell but mine doesn't have a CO with a happy ending yet.

Where we hunt back East the CO has turned every person in the small community against him over the years. Recently (2 years ago) he was demoted and now he is not even seen in the field. He was born and raised in the same community and now he will probably retire there and he has made enemies with almost everyone. He as accused people of doing things they didn't, made up stories to hand out FALSE charges. Now the people in the community are petrified to speak to any CO, and I don't blame them.

He charged my mother with having a loaded shotgun in a truck one year. He pulled my mother and father over and didn't ask if he could see the gun, he just reached inside the vehicle and grabbed it. When he did that my mom flinched a little and dropped the shell that was in her hands. He said, "that fell out of the gun when I grabbed it and it was loaded." My parents told him on the spot that they have never had a loaded gun in a vehicle and why would it fall out if it was loaded. Needless to say there efforts in speaking with him went on deaf ears as he handed them a $500 fine for driving with a loaded gun. They hired a lawyer and fought it and won. Cost them $975 to do so, but they thought they had to just to show there innocence.

I have met our local CO in my area and they were great, they were looking for a guy that shot a doe illegally and I happened to be in the area. He was really cordial and didn't assume I was involved at all. After dealing with the CO back east I was extremely nervous but I feel much better about them now then I did for many years.

I couldn't agree with the post above more. Your always going to have good ones and bad ones, like any job or profession.

sledforever
10-17-2011, 06:09 PM
When I was 16 or 17 I was fishing the bulkley and was checked. I reeled in and let him inspect etc. Turns out I technically hadn't pinched the barb right to the shank. He let me pinch it right and gave me a written warning. At the time I thought he was the biggest so and so because I thought I knew everything, but now I realize how nice he was being to me. Funny how that works

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Thank you for your comments Pat. Thankfully he wasn't fined as it was pretty obvious he wasn't the "hunter" and the CO clearly realized that after his "interview", but if he wanted to "hand him a ticket" there is a dispute process that we could go through to try and have that situation rectified. "CO" doesn't mean always in the right.

The CO observed us "in our camp" actually taking down our wall tent, my friend was not even in possesion of the rifle at the time nor was I as they were both already put away in the trucks. We were not engaged in "hunting" of any fashion.

Carl

But, but, but, you already admitted he was hunting with you.

Experienced this bear hunting this year... Had a buddy (PAL holder) who was packing a 30-06 when we were spring bear hunting, having shot a bear the previous year and not enjoying the meat, he had no intention to shoot another bear, rather provide himself with a little protection while tagging along with me, not an unreasonable action around bears.

And by doing so without the required tags and license, he was breaking the law, whether he intended to shoot a bear or not. Having a firearm and searching for game, even if he said "Carl, there's one!" is illegal without tags and a license.

Do you think the CO who questioned you is stupid and didn't know what was going on? He knew exactly what was happening, and was completely justified in his examination. Again, your friend was breaking the law, as you have admitted, and he's just lucky that the CO showed up when he did, and decided that he didn't have enough evidence to support a charge because you guys weren't in the act of hunting when he saw you.

huntcoop
10-17-2011, 06:51 PM
The only problem I have with CO's is we don't have enough of them....

My thoughts as well, we need about 100+ more of them. Considering how much money is derived directly or indirectly from hunting etc...the gov't needs to buck up and bolster the CO service.

10-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Blood spot on tag/license, how is that illegal...?

steepNdeep
10-17-2011, 07:04 PM
I've been through several CO (& RCMP) highway road blocks over the years & ran into several CO's in the bush. My partner also got pulled over with a quad & antlers hanging out of the back of his truck. They usually just check licenses & that firearms are not loaded. After that it's usually a good bs session. I've heard of some bad apples, but never seen one. Most are passionate hunters with some good stories.

aliagha
10-17-2011, 07:06 PM
But, but, but, you already admitted he was hunting with you.

And by doing so without the required tags and license, he was breaking the law, whether he intended to shoot a bear or not. Having a firearm and searching for game, even if he said "Carl, there's one!" is illegal without tags and a license.

Do you think the CO who questioned you is stupid and didn't know what was going on? He knew exactly what was happening, and was completely justified in his examination. Again, your friend was breaking the law, as you have admitted, and he's just lucky that the CO showed up when he did, and decided that he didn't have enough evidence to support a charge because you guys weren't in the act of hunting when he saw you.

WOW! fisher Dude, , at first, I thought that there isn't anything wrong with Big whiteys case but You just showed an entire new dimension to that situation.
very interesting!

Spokerider
10-17-2011, 07:07 PM
When I was 18 or 19.......yep, that was a long time ago, I had my first encounter with a CO. I had never even seen a CO, let alone contemplated their existence before that late evening in October.

I had been hunting a location that was a 2hr drive from my home, and I had just returned to my truck as shooting light was fading. I had spent the better part of the day hiking ridge lines and I was cold and had somewhat weary legs. I remeber how good it felt to clamber back into the cab of the old chevy. I was alone, as I drove my truck down the winding mountain road with my thoughts still deep in blacktail buck country. I was anticipating an uneventful, but contently quiet drive home, when all of a sudden a pick up truck came charging out of a spur road, and stopped right in front of me. In utter surprise, I had to slam on the brakes to avoid an impact, all of the while thinking WTF is this guy doing! Next thing I saw was a guy leap from the pick up cab and come running at me with a rather large, shiny handgun unholstered and brandished.

This whole event happend so fast and unexpectedly, and it wasn`t until he got up close to me that I could see in the fading light, that he was wearing some kind of official uniform. My heart was racing and the adrenalin surge combined with such surprise had me pumped and ready for action. It was then that he told me to get out of the truck. It wasn`t until I got out of the truck and that he could see that my hands were empty that he Identified himself as a conservation officer and holstered his weapon. Twenty minutes of questioning later, I was back on my way home, with my hands shaking so bad I could hardly grasp the steering wheel.

The sight of that guy RUNNING at me with a handgun in hand has never left me.........and that was my first experince with the tactics and methodology of CO`s, quite a baptism for a young man oblivious to such happenings.

cumminsforever
10-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Carl, of course he would have a file on your bud as a potential poacher. Under the Wildlife Act, he was "hunting", as he was searching for game while in possession of a firearm. I'd say he's lucky he didn't get handed a ticket.

"hunt" includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking or lying in wait for wildlife, or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured,

So What I can't go a walk in the bush with my buddy hunting bear and carry a gun? What if I have a tag for a white tail? Talk about bullshit.

Also uh how do you capture a bear tell me that. I don't think I wanna try that one might get ate.

slowkey
10-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Dealt with 2 CO's this year.

First one seemed more interested in writing a ticket and that me and my buddy were near Douglas Lake ranch, we were just driving through on the Pennask lake road (although I will give him credit for letting my buddy go back to camp to get his hunting license I personally would have written him a ticket).

second guy pulled up this Sunday when I was out near Peachland asked if we got anything (we didn't), asked if we were staying (we were leaving), said have a nice day and left never even check our licenses.

So really CO's are like a box of chocolates

cumminsforever
10-17-2011, 07:14 PM
I found a few n they where pretty much @$$holes I've met the odd one that's a pretty good guy but overall if I can avoid the hassle I will even if I did nothing wrong I would rather not deal with some guy throwing his power around simply because he can.

aliagha
10-17-2011, 07:17 PM
My dad and I have been hunting in bc for over 4 years now and we have never had any encounter with a Conservation officer. we have hunted all over, from Pemberton, to Gang ranch to Grand forks and never seen one in the bush! heck i didn't even know what a CO looked like up until i saw one in a Pizza shop near my home!
before that i thought it was this guy!
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGWK19u4lv24EUC83UjSczIT9AKd1qj WZvBH8pPyf6iitp8ZDjKg just kidding! ;)

REMINGTON JIM
10-17-2011, 07:23 PM

I passed on several bears over the weekend and we were packing up camp Sunday morn, when a CO came sneaking into our camp. (parked his truck up on the road behind a row of trees and came walking in, surprising us.)

He was very polite, courteous, checked out my license, guns etc... all was good. Said his goodbyes, have a safe trip home and then he Left our camp, only to come driving back in 45 mins later as were just about to leave, singles me out... Tells me I check out just fine, but he's worried about my partner packing "such a big gun" if he didn't intend to shoot anything... Now he wants me to explain!!! Seriously... He's a PAL holder who's packing a gun in the bush...?? Not a crime!!! Trying to create a crime where none existed was right! I let him know that as well, but he still took pictures of our trucks, quads, and took all our particulars to start a file on us. Then he "interviewed" my buddy privately in his truck for approx 30 mins, while we waited in the rain to get going on the 2.5 hr drive home. He finally realized his efforts were a waste of time and ended up saying his goodbyes and have a safe trip home a 2nd time..., but now we've got a file on us started as "potential bear poachers???" WTF!!!! I realize the CO doesn't know us from Adam but we are so far from poachers it ain't funny.

He actually really pi$$ed me off and I have about a 2 page letter drafted up that I haven't sent in yet, not sure if I will, but the whole situation and the way he handled it didn't seem right to me. We had no bear, no evidence of a bear, he didn't even know we were hunters until we actually told him after he asked us, instead he tried incredibly hard from several angles to make a criminal situation where none existed.

If we had two dead bears and only 1 tag, then I could see there would be a big problem, that was not the case. It would have been a much better experience if he could have caught the guy who stole my f#%ing chainsaw!

I highly respect what they do for such little pay, but I was not happy with the way we were harrassed and held up from our destination in this instance. My only negative experience so far out of many license spot checks.

Carl
Carl - i think you and your buddy are prob pretty nice guys- law abiding and all BUT ! your buddy was your back up !! therefore he needed to have a tag just in case he had to shoot a bear for whatever reason - pure and simple ! the co was right and as you said your buddy was lucky to be back at camp and leaving and not at your side while you hunted bears ! Think about it and you will see we are right ! Anyhow no harm done keep on going - see ya ! Jim

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2011, 07:27 PM
So What I can't go a walk in the bush with my buddy hunting bear and carry a gun? What if I have a tag for a white tail? Talk about bullshit.

Also uh how do you capture a bear tell me that. I don't think I wanna try that one might get ate.

Then you are legally whitetail hunting, if they are in season and you have tags and a licence. If you are saying you're hunting whitetails on a spring bear hunt, get ready for your fine for hunting whitetails out of season.

Read the law that I posted above. Searching for game with a firearm without a tag and licence is illegal.

Call it bullshit if you want, but it's the law and you have to obey it. Being ignorant of the law is not a valid defence in court.

2SHALLOW
10-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Never had a problem with them, they gave me a break this year on an improper cut tag my screw up. Shot an elk cut my tag, region date and so on and wow guess what i missed the spot where it says antlered or antlerless!!! So i get to the landing with my boat hand over all my paperwork and he says i'm sorry but you missed a spot on your tag its a $105 fine but i will just give you a written warning!! They checked my gun and boat for proper gear thank god i had a whistle for my saftey on a river lets not go there. IMO if you are doing things legal there is nothing to worry about regardless of how they treat you, you can always ask for there name and information they really like that!!!. I screwed up with the tag, if he charged me fair enough. KNOW THE REGS INSIDE OUT!!

wunderboy
10-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Nothing but great interactions for me. I have only been checked once and it was after fishing at pinaus lake. They stopped me and asked to see my little bro's and mine lic. I was a little nervous because we a young males. They were awesome, they did ask to see our cooler full of fish but didn't bother to count the fish and trust me it was full, we had both limited. The only follow up question was how bad the perch were because the CO had taken his son and couldn't keep them off the line. One CO name ______ Lockwood around here has always been a great guy to run into.

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2011, 07:41 PM
That would be Josh Lockwood. Great guy, had a chat with him yesterday.

Wood butcher
10-17-2011, 07:50 PM
I believe you could have been hunting wolves. As long as they are open no tag required. Then you should be considered legaly walking around hunting with your partner. No shooting at his bear though!!

BCHunterTV
10-17-2011, 07:57 PM
ive been pulled over a few times, some good and some bad

so now anytime i get pulled over/stopped i turn on the video on my iphone and record away, if everything is on the up and up and they are doing their job by the book me recording them wont be an issue

nerka992003
10-17-2011, 08:05 PM
I had a run in with one guy last year south of Houston. I had been out on my quad all day then came back into camp had a shower then jumped in my truck with my rifle and was a few kms. from camp. I then noticed a red and blue flash and sure enough there he was right behind me,just then I reached for my wallet and licence S**T it was in my box on my quad. I was up front with him and told him my licence was back in camp.
He asked to check my gun and issued a warning and ask that I go directly back to camp and get my licence . He was a really decent guy.

Mountain Hunter
10-17-2011, 08:20 PM
I've had a few encounters over the years and they have been all generally positive.

My first experience was a few weeks after I shot my first mule deer buck, I was waved over by a CO and after checking my licence noted I had notched out not only the region I shot the buck but also the MU, (oopsy, 3 notches cut out), after he gave his head a shake he gave me warning;

several years later a clerk filled out my hunting licence wrong (wrong expiry date I think) and another warning;

and last year a CO drove into my whitetail camp in November and after checking my licence and tags said he was jealous that I was spending a week hunting whitetails based out of the wall tent.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-17-2011, 08:23 PM
i have had a mixed experience with COs. one time it was my fault for forgetting to clip my license .... no intent on my behalf, so i got fined $115, in away it was good for me because i want forget ever again to not clip my license. :cry:

that said, i think there should be more COs. :)

ACE
10-17-2011, 08:49 PM
What can a CO do legally?.......reach into your vehicle trying to grab your firearm? Enter your cabin / tent un-invited? Take personal belongings? Pull a sidearm on you?.......what is the criteria?

Walking Buffalo
10-17-2011, 09:08 PM

Don't you think this conclusion is a bit rushed.... perhaps similar to the "allegations" made against the CO?

Now you have some people thinking that they can't carry a firearm while in the company of a hunter who has a tag that they don't.

You may have developed a lead based on semantics for your intended lesson , however, the outcome of your unverified declaration has only led to confuse and convolve the untaught.

Seems to be a similar tact as described in many of the CO complaint stories....

Educating comes with reponsibilities.

scottwh
10-17-2011, 09:13 PM
I was stopped last saturday by a CO. He asked if guns were unloaded, there were 3 and he only checked one. He looked at my tags and said "you got a bull elk this year, you dont need anymore meat?" He didnt even check my girlfriends tags?? I guess it just depends on your personality and how you go about talking to them. If your a prick to them rite off the bat, your gonna have problems.

BromBones
10-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Ran into a few dickheads over the years but most of the time they're good guys.

Also should mention, we bumped into the CO out of Dease Lake this year, I thought he was a heck of a good guy. Hasn't been at it too long, but seems to have the job figured out. Wouldn't hurt to have few more like him.

tanker
10-17-2011, 09:23 PM
im thinking about wanting to be a CO one day so its nice to see your responses about an anoying and a pleasent co

dmace
10-17-2011, 09:38 PM
So let's say I'm picking mushrooms, berry's , with my parents at their cabin in Cowichan . It"s bear season , I have my Pal , I have a hunting liscense,I have my 300 weatherby and I DON'T have a bear tag . Perhaps I don't have any tags on my liscense. Am I automatically bear hunting ?
If I have my gun with me at the top a mountain in June or July with my PAL am I hunting ?
If I take my gun (in a case unloaded ) on the bus to a gun smith am I hunting ?
If I buy a new gun and walk out of the store (of coarse only with my PAL ) am I hunting ?

Just some dumb questions for you F.D.
D.M.

BCHunterTV
10-17-2011, 09:43 PM
What can a CO do legally?.......reach into your vehicle trying to grab your firearm? Enter your cabin / tent un-invited? Take personal belongings? Pull a sidearm on you?.......what is the criteria?

Ive asked this before and was asked why what was my motive? huh, i only want to beware of my rights.

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2011, 09:46 PM

They have wide-ranging authority that you should give full respect to:

Officers exempted

86 The offence provisions of this Act and the regulations and section 9 of the Firearm Act do not apply to an officer engaged in the performance of his or her duties.

Arrest

87 A conservation officer or constable may, without a warrant, arrest a person he or she finds committing an offence against this Act or the regulations.

Surrender of firearms

88 (1) A conservation officer or constable may, if he or she has reasonable and probable grounds to believe that by reason of consumption of alcohol a person who is hunting or carrying a firearm is affected in his or her ability to hunt or handle a firearm safely and responsibly, request that person to surrender any firearms in his or her possession and his or her hunting licence.
(2) A conservation officer or constable may, if he or she has reasonable and probable grounds to believe that a person who is hunting or carrying a firearm is affected by a drug in his or her ability to hunt or handle a firearm safely and responsibly, request that person to surrender any firearms in his or her possession and his or her hunting licence.

(2) If a conservation officer believes on reasonable grounds that dangerous wildlife is or may be attracted to any land or premises other than a private dwelling, the conservation officer may, without a warrant, enter and search the land or premises.

Entering premises

89 (1) For the purpose of ensuring that this Act and the regulations are being complied with, an officer may enter and inspect any premises or enclosure in which live wildlife or live fish is kept but, at the request of the owner or occupier, the officer must produce proof of identity.
(2) Despite the Trespass Act, an officer exercising duties under this Act may enter any land, whether enclosed or not but, at the request of the owner or occupier of the land, the officer must produce proof of identity.

Inspection of firearms

90 (1) A person, when requested to do so, for the purposes of this Act or the Firearm Act, by a conservation officer or constable, must immediately produce and permit inspection of a firearm in his or her possession.
(2) A conservation officer or constable may, for the purposes of this Act or the Firearm Act, inspect a firearm found in or on a vehicle or boat.

<A name=section91>Inspection of camps

91 An officer may inspect a camp occupied by a hunter or angler.

Search without warrant

93 A conservation officer or constable may, without a warrant,
(a) search a person whom he or she believes on reasonable grounds has in his or her possession any wildlife or fish killed, taken or possessed in violation of this Act or the regulations, or about to be illegally exported,
(b) stop and search a motor vehicle, private or chartered aircraft, boat or other conveyance, in or on which he or she believes on reasonable grounds that wildlife or fish is being carried by a person, and
(c) enter and search a shop, public market, storehouse, garage, restaurant, hotel, eating house or camp, in or on which he or she believes on reasonable grounds that wildlife or fish is located.

Officers empowered to stop vehicles

95 (1) An officer may, for the purposes of this Act, stop a motor vehicle, private or chartered aircraft or boat or other vehicle to determine whether or not the occupants of the vehicle have been hunting, trapping or angling, and to obtain information about wildlife or game fish possessed by them.
(2) A person commits an offence under subsection (1) if the person
(a) fails to stop,
(b) fails to identify himself or herself when requested to do so by the officer,
(c) refuses to give information respecting hunting or fishing, or
(d) being the driver or operator of a motor vehicle, in or on which there is wildlife or game fish or an article or device that may be used for hunting, trapping or fishing, fails, refuses or neglects to stop his or her motor vehicle when signalled or requested to stop by an officer who is in his or her uniform of office or displays his or her official badge.

Obstructing officers

96 (1) A person who resists or obstructs an officer from exercising his or her duty under this Act commits an offence.
(2) An officer is, for the purposes of this Act, a peace officer.

<A name=section97>Production of licence or permit

97 If a person who is required to hold a licence, permit or limited entry hunting authorization issued under this Act
(a) fails to produce it for inspection to an officer on request, or
(b) fails or refuses to state his or her name and address to an officer on request,
the person commits an offence.

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2011, 09:49 PM
So let's say I'm picking mushrooms, berry's , with my parents at their cabin in Cowichan . It"s bear season , I have my Pal , I have a hunting liscense,I have my 300 weatherby and I DON'T have a bear tag . Perhaps I don't have any tags on my liscense. Am I automatically bear hunting ?
If I have my gun with me at the top a mountain in June or July with my PAL am I hunting ?
If I take my gun (in a case unloaded ) on the bus to a gun smith am I hunting ?
If I buy a new gun and walk out of the store (of coarse only with my PAL ) am I hunting ?

Just some dumb questions for you F.D.
D.M.

No on all examples.

Read the definition of hunting. If you're doing ANY of these, you need a licence and perhaps tags:

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Don't you think this conclusion is a bit rushed.... perhaps similar to the "allegations" made against the CO?

Now you have some people thinking that they can't carry a firearm while in the company of a hunter who has a tag that they don't.

You may have developed a lead based on semantics for your intended lesson , however, the outcome of your unverified declaration has only led to confuse and convolve the untaught.

Seems to be a similar tact as described in many of the CO complaint stories....

Educating comes with reponsibilities.

The story starts "We were out bear hunting." What is the conclusion that I jumped to, that they were out bear hunting? If so, I think that's a safe conclusion, based on his telling us they were bear hunting. Any other questions that require clarification, WB?

bigwhiteys
10-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Don't you think this conclusion is a bit rushed.... perhaps similar to the
"allegations" made against the CO?

Now you have some people thinking
that they can't carry a firearm while in the company of a hunter who has a tag
that they don't.

You may have developed a lead based on semantics for
your intended lesson , however, the outcome of your unverified declaration has
only led to confuse and convolve the untaught.

Seems to be a similar
tact as described in many of the CO complaint stories....

Educating
comes with reponsibilities.

It's ok, he does it because he just really likes me, and especially my family. As stated, that was my only somewhat negative experience with a CO. FD is certainly a walking encyclopedia of regulations and brought up some good points to ponder, I'll give him that! My buddies fine (if it even happened - it didn't) probably would have went over in court much like FD's buddy who was caught red-handed hunting on private gated land in the peace, claiming it was a "crown road allowance" and then actually trying to press charges after he was kicked out. 5 years later it was thrown out of court, yes 5 years over a $300 fine (which was issued 2 full years after the incident occured based on nothing but heresay). Sometimes they aren't "in the right" and in those cases it's worth taking a stand IMHO or your name will be made into mud all over the Internet by a guy like FD.

Carl

10-17-2011, 09:55 PM
I have no issue with being Checked By CO's out in the field, matter fact I welcome it and there should be more of them.
That said over the years I too have bumped into a couple of beauties but over all they are good people who care about our fish and wildlife resources. It's more the way they go about their business. Just like some Cop's there are a few in the crowd of them that can make others look bad, like some of my fellow workers for that matter.
In General they are doing good work as far as I am concerned.

CT

The Dude
10-17-2011, 09:56 PM
You go Dean :D

I'm really surprised that Pat has ANY time to hunt, as he's always filling his cavernous brain with all things Forest Practice, Hunting Regs, and Anti-Union. I think he's the Anti-Jelvis. A mythical super-human. Just my thoughts.

The Dude
10-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Another thought: Aren't CO's UNION employees, and, by defintion, overpaid, lazy slackers?
Man, I'd hate to be FD next time he's stopped if they read this.
JK Pat, I love your work. Kinda.

BCHunterTV
10-17-2011, 10:03 PM
here is one,

say im taking out my hounds under my guidance and my tracking system/collars and chasing cats...and a unlicensed hunter/friend is tagging along and "not handling the tracking system" to hunt/locate the hounds but as an observer camera man. Is he labeled as hunting since he on a active chase but has no way to personally locate the hounds?

cumminsforever
10-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Then you are legally whitetail hunting, if they are in season and you have tags and a licence. If you are saying you're hunting whitetails on a spring bear hunt, get ready for your fine for hunting whitetails out of season.

Read the law that I posted above. Searching for game with a firearm without a tag and licence is illegal.

Call it bullshit if you want, but it's the law and you have to obey it. Being ignorant of the law is not a valid defence in court.

No I know that but theres nothing against him taking a gun on a bear hunt as protection lots of guys get into bad situations with bears when it comes to there cubs.

cumminsforever
10-17-2011, 10:16 PM

I don't think they have the right without a good reason.

bellagrinder
10-17-2011, 10:20 PM
I belive Ive gleaned far more usefull information from this thread than all my other studying combined today. Good stuff to keep in mind! Ive never come upon CO's in the bush but theres an awesome soup and sangy shop that Ive run into them there quite a few times and talked to them, definately a decent bunch forsure (or atleast all so far).

cumminsforever
10-17-2011, 10:25 PM
I do gotta say they are there to do there job but they need to bother the guys poaching and committing offenses like that more then checking for stupid stuff like if your gun is loaded or you have your tags on you people make honest mistakes. I just find most people wearing a badge think they are better then everyone else n I hate that.

bigwhiteys
10-17-2011, 10:41 PM
checking for stupid stuff like if your gun is loaded or you have your tags on you people make honest mistakes. I just find most people wearing a badge think they are better then everyone else n I hate that.

Although it pains me to say it FD brings up good points that could help others avoid similar issues in the future.

Checking if your gun is "loaded" is a safety issue, and an important one. I am scared of guys who walk around with one in the chamber all the time, not so much with a loaded magazine, but one in the chamber is a no-no if you hunt with me. Having tags for the animal "YOU" intend to hunt, also a wise idea, and carry them on your person. My licence is always on me, usually kept in a ziploc so it does not get wet and it stays in my hunting jacket inside pocket all year, along with the registration cards for my rifles, which nobody has ever asked for.

Carl

Rubberknot
10-17-2011, 10:48 PM
I've bumped into a few, even a couple game checks up island with RCMP, both fishing and hunting. Never had a problem, usually just answer a few questions and a look in the truck or cooler/fish-tub and on my way.

cumminsforever
10-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Mines in my wallet which is always in my pocket but no I don't walk around with one in the chamber unless like a few weeks ago when I had a bear do a false charge on me I loaded it n went back to the truck.

The Dude
10-17-2011, 10:51 PM
If I'm still hunting, there's a round in the chamber, safety on. WTF are you talking about "one in the chamber is a no-no"?

bigwhiteys
10-17-2011, 10:58 PM
If I'm still hunting, there's a round in the chamber, safety on. WTF are you talking about "one in the chamber is a no-no"?
If you're sitting somewhere still hunting, then I am fine with one in the chamber. If you're walking along a road with me and you've got one in the chamber and the safety on, I would let you walk in front of me, is that better? :)

Carl

Walking Buffalo
10-18-2011, 02:17 AM
The story starts "We were out bear hunting." What is the conclusion that I jumped to, that they were out bear hunting? If so, I think that's a safe conclusion, based on his telling us they were bear hunting. Any other questions that require clarification, WB?

Am I doing anything illegal?

Without a hunting licence or a gun or a bow, I was tracking a bear on crown land, carrying a Brick hammer....

Sitkaspruce
10-18-2011, 06:11 AM
I do gotta say they are there to do there job but they need to bother the guys poaching and committing offenses like that more then checking for stupid stuff like if your gun is loaded or you have your tags on you people make honest mistakes. I just find most people wearing a badge think they are better then everyone else n I hate that.

So how do you suggest they catch the poachers?? Drive around guessing that this person or that is a poacher. It is called inspection and you conduct an inspection until you find something "Stupid" then you do an investigation and if you find it a solid "Stupid" you write a ticket or carry it further to court.

"Stupid" things are what most "Stupid" hunter and fishers do and get caught at.

From the way the poster has written their comments, it sounds like they may have done a few "Stupid" things and got caught.

I would rather they check for "Stupid" things then nothing at all........

Cheers

SS

cariboobill
10-18-2011, 06:35 AM
I have heard a lot of stories on CO's but never had any experience of my own. I expect given any situation the CO has to enforce the rules. He is not really able to treat you any different than anyone else. Maybe the "bedside" manner of some CO's could use some improvement, but so could most of us.

Hunting legally is not hard, in fact it is a joy, when you past our own opinions on what should be and just follow the rules we now teach our children/grandgildren to follow.

Good hunting to all.

CB

islandboy
10-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Not necessarily a good choice Carl. I hunted with fellow who insisted on one in the chamber. So I let him lead down the road. He still managed to shoot a tree beside me. Lesson learned!

If you're sitting somewhere still hunting, then I am fine with one in the chamber. If you're walking along a road with me and you've got one in the chamber and the safety on, I would let you walk in front of me, is that better? :)

Carl

boxhitch
10-18-2011, 07:02 AM
You have to stop and think about what the CO is trying to achieve while he is checking someone for all those stupid things.
He is creating interaction and conversation, a process through which they are getting a feel for the situation and listening to what jibberish comes out.
They are trained to make assessments and rely on what the hunter tells them for facts and possibly evidence.

In BW's scenario the CO separated the two guys and was talking to each maybe with a suspicion in mind and hoping one would trip and say we were hunting or I was hunting with my friend
Someone will have a stat but I bet 90% of hunters are self-incriminated by what they tell CO's during checks for stupid things.

Similar tactic as RCMP at seatbelt checks. Lots of fines handed out for other charges.

bigwhiteys
10-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Not necessarily a good choice Carl. I hunted with fellow who insisted on one in the chamber. So I let him lead down the road. He still managed to shoot a tree beside me. Lesson learned!

Now you know why guys who walk around with one in the chamber scare me! I know a member on this site lost a good friend, after he accidentally shot himself while crossing a fence. Same deal, one in the chamber. I've never lost an animal because I had to jack a shell into the chamber.

Carl

huntermike
10-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Never had any real issues with the CO's Ive run into But some of them sure have a bad attitude so I agree with recording the conversation incase they step out of line with their ways of doing bussiness.

BiG Boar
10-18-2011, 07:44 AM
here is one,

say im taking out my hounds under my guidance and my tracking system/collars and chasing cats...and a unlicensed hunter/friend is tagging along and "not handling the tracking system" to hunt/locate the hounds but as an observer camera man. Is he labeled as hunting since he on a active chase but has no way to personally locate the hounds?

No, unless the Camera had a bayonet attached to it. No weapon, not hunting.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-18-2011, 07:50 AM
are some of you guys saying, i can't take my rifle, when i walk in the woods for protection?

JAFA
10-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Confused... If I am hiking out of season without tags with a firearm for protection, would I be committing an offense?

I have had dealings with CO for fishing, I really appreciate having them out there trying to protect our resource and have never had a problem.

Once was stopped outside of Boston Bar, I stepped out of the truck and pointedly put my clip on the hood, the CO was polite, helpful and after having a look went on his way.

I think we can control the outcome with our positive attitude in 99% of situations.

Jim.

BiG Boar
10-18-2011, 07:56 AM
I have been checked 3 times in the last month, all in different regions of the province. I think it is random chance, and I am personally glad to see them out there. I know the regs fairly well due to this site, and make sure I am squeeky clean. I just got accepted into the HBC Saints Union.

There were 2 dead bears I actually saw this weekend, probably poached, or lost on the tracking job, and they were out there doing an investigation. I was glad they actually cared to come out.

So, my question for him was this.

If I am in an archery only (for big game) zone (which we were), can I carry a bow for big game and a gun for small game? Like a 22 for grouse or a 45-70 for grouse? He said I couldn't carry the 45-70. It was too much gun to believed it would be used on grouse. I asked him if he had ever been charged by a big blue grouse. He said no, but he has heard of some cases where they will bluff charge. One guy was poked in the eye with a sharp beak and he lost part of his vision a few years ago!

He told me not to be caught with a large caliber rifle or defence shot gun in an archery only area. I said I'll do whatever I need to protect my person and my family from any type of grouse or angry squirrel.

I did not have a gun when I was checked.

BiG Boar
10-18-2011, 07:59 AM
are some of you guys saying, i can't take my rifle, when i walk in the woods for protection?

If he asks you what you are doing and you reply "hunting" then no, you can't take your rifle. If you have a licence and something is open, then its fine. But you can't "hunt", including waiting for or pursuing game, without a licence.

Confused... If I am hiking out of season without tags with a firearm for protection, would I be committing an offense?

You can hike all you want with your gun, but if you say you are out pursuing animals, or waiting for them, then it would be illegal.

wsm
10-18-2011, 08:26 AM
i think in this case my friend is frustrated because he was persecuted for telling the truth. in which he did nothing wrong . the CO tried to tell him what happened( was he there) NO . the he told my friend that if he didnt agree to the CO'S idea of what happened he was going to confiscate his belongings . THIS IS WHAT I FIND TO BE BS. so i helped him draft letters for mla's and other such people. i want this co canned. nothing less . guys like him give bad names to other co's.

silvicon
10-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Maybe your friends had attitute and lipped of the CO.
Maybe a bit unter the influence, thinking they are the bulls of the woods?

wsm
10-18-2011, 09:30 AM
he has a liver prob no drinking , i have never seen him have a sip of anything. ME AN ATTITUDE . ABSOLUTELY . my friend highly unlikely. hence why i am so pissed that a co treated 1 of the good guys like sh-t. after a long talk with various authorities . it has been determined that the co broke law's . plain and simple

houndogger
10-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Bumped into a co on saturday. Had a good chat about hunting and such. He said it was the greatest job with the worst employer....lol They have a tough job to do. Never had a problem with any.

houndogger
10-18-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm really surprised that Pat has ANY time to hunt, as he's always filling his cavernous brain with all things Forest Practice, Hunting Regs, and Anti-Union. I think he's the Anti-Jelvis. A mythical super-human. Just my thoughts.

He gets his kicks out of assuming and blaming....the lunch box lawyer of HBC lol....

Spokerider
10-18-2011, 09:42 AM

Carl

I`m with you on this one.
Nothing in the chamber when *just walking along*.

wsm
10-18-2011, 09:44 AM
i have personally never had any problems with any. lol accept my uncle being my uncle. whom got an earfull from me for the other guys attitude :(. i guess i need to phone him up and apologize. i think co's should take notes from al in princeton, and darcy in 100 mile as to how to treat people these are the only 2 i have ever run into and they were outstanding

BCHunterTV
10-18-2011, 09:57 AM
No, unless the Camera had a bayonet attached to it. No weapon, not hunting.

FD your opinion if it's hunting?

Barracuda
10-18-2011, 10:07 AM
its pretty simple to read the regs and acts. It isnt superhuman or even an amazing feat to spend an afternoon at least looking them over. The one thing you have to do is see it from an officers perspective. remember they deal with pos people all the time and they are trained and expected to see any flaws or suspect behaviour. Do your best to interpret the regs and acts and dont give the bs excuse that they are to difficult to understand etc (this is the bs line many guys use to ignore rules they dont like).

Sasquatch
10-18-2011, 10:14 AM
I've been checked 3 times in the last 4 years while grouse hunting with my dog. Every one of the CO's were more interested in discussing bird hunting with a pointer, than they were in checking out me, my paperwork, or the birds I had killed.

I'm sure there are some bad ones out there, but I haven't met them yet.

TPK
10-18-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm always courteous when dealing with LEO's and have never had anything but good experiances and outcomes when dealing with our CO's. A fine bunch of folks and as mentioned .. too few.

bigwhiteys
10-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I can assure you there was no rudeness or disrespect from either us or the CO when our interaction took place. He didn't act like FD would have or act like a d!ckwad in general, he was good, I was just proturbed at the lengthy time we were held up, for what I thought was a pretty silly fishing expedition considering the circumstances, comes into our camp un-announced we've just finished eating breakfast and we're cleaning up and taking down our tent, no bears, no fishing rods, no guns, we could have just been campers. Thanks to our local resident hunting Angel Fisher-Dude I now see why the CO might have seen it a little different.

When a Fisher-Dude is showing off its road hunting skill and prowess and just about to kill a baby elk does it use any part of the truck as a rest, or does it jump a little when it fires so it's feet and body "technically" aren't touching the vehicle? Maybe it uses a small tree on the side of the road...? I sure hope it doesn't break any of the branches to make a better rest! It would probably violate some forestry code...? Does it ever drive along with a loaded magazine in the rifle, even for just 2 seconds... a common roadie time-saving tactic? I wonder if that hairball he packs around is always on a leash while it hunts baby elk and deer...?

Dogs

4The use of dogs is permitted in the hunting of all game, but dogs
must be on a leash when used to hunt deer, elk, moose, mountain
sheep, mountain goat and caribou. Unleashed dogs may be used to
hunt small game, lynx, bobcat, grizzly bear, black bear or cougar. Any
person may train dogs by allowing them, under supervision, to pursue
game birds from August 1 to April 30.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/HPIM1374.jpg

Questions... Questions.... lol...

Carl

BlacktailStalker
10-18-2011, 11:12 AM
lol !

LYKTOHUNT
10-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Now this should get good, I can hardly wait

walks with deer
10-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Thats pretty funny

So fisher dude is also saying i can not carry my gun out scouting.

I will tell you any time i hike a mountain with my 2 year old in my backpack i carry my rifle during season or not.

If i am hiking in august with my kids i assure you i bring a gun..
I would like to see the judge that says not to carry a rifle when you are in wild country.

walks with deer
10-18-2011, 12:07 PM
ps looks like that dog tracked the deer after it was hit he looks like he is panting.

Mikey Rafiki
10-18-2011, 12:10 PM
The dog definitely looks guilty....

huntingmom
10-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Husband and I had encountered couple of decent CO's. One in '98 in Prince George and '00 in Golden.
The one in Prince George is when we headed out from Tacheeda lake and a grouse had crossed our path. It took my husband 8 shots with 22 to get him down because somehow the iron sights got knocked out of alignment. So, my husband empties out the chamber, takes the magazine out of it, put the trigger lock on, throws it back in the case, and cleans the grouse. Everything goes well, we get back into our truck, started for home and a CO truck comes up to us with lights on. My first thinking is " are we speeding ?
He was kind of surprised that we only shot 'one' grouse after my husband tried to shoot him eight times. (CO probably thought we were shooting up the whole pickn' flock).
Second, my husband forgot to leave the wings on for ID, so the CO told us to leave the wings on next time to ID the bird.
So, yeah....I thanked the Co for letting us keep the bird.

The other nice batch of Co's we enountered was in Golden. We were hunting and fishing and we were heading out from Mitten Lake and on our way to Calgary to see my dad before he went in for heart surgery. There were 2-3 Co's parked on the side of the gravel road....pulling people over.
They wanted to see our biggest fish and wanted to know how many we caught. Which was fine. We were asked where we were going and we told them we're heading to Calgary to see my dad. Well, we got the spun that it was illegal to tranport fish to another province. Apparently we told him that we did not know it was illegal. The Co...being an understanding person, gave us a note to hand over any authorities in Alberta if somehow we got caught with fish in the freezer. He was basically our back-up in case we got into trouble.

So...my relations with the Co's (we even had one for a neighbor a while back) has been pretty decent. I haven't had one that gave me nightmares yet.

Fisher-Dude
10-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Of course, pictures taken of a dog AFTER the hunt, when the deer is dead and the tag is punched, is not "shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking or lying in wait for wildlife." My dog was safely in the truck when the hunt was occurring. Unlike Carl's friend, my dog and I didn't break any laws and are careful not to. A couple of COs I know also have this pic and have replied "congratulations on a good eater" to me.

Nice try Carl, enjoy your time out for trashing the animals I have legally harvested this year, contrary to the rules of this forum. Say hi to Willy for me. Hope Willy doesn't get caught shooting another whitetail buck from his truck this year, like the one he admitted to earlier on this forum.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-18-2011, 12:36 PM
sounds like it's at the discretion of the CO. if you are out in the woods with your rifle for protection, how does the CO know if you are "searching for" game or not? surely the CO has to prove you are "searching for" game? or is it a grey area?

rocksteady
10-18-2011, 12:50 PM
I have worked, been friends with, drank beers with numerous CO's over the years. By and large they are good people....They have a tough job to do, in a potentially very dangerous environment (working alone, isolated, potentially hostile or drunk individuals with guns).....

I respect them for the job they have to do and do every thing I can to make it easier for them (cutting tags exactly proper etc).....

There is how many CO's in the Province?? 100???

You could have the same discussion about the drive through window servers at Tim Hortons and come up with the same results....:mrgreen: My ice cap was a medium when I ordered a large....I wanted a double-double, not a triple double....SHe was such a B%tch !!!

I look at it that those guys are on our side...not against us....

BiG Boar
10-18-2011, 01:01 PM
sounds like it's at the discretion of the CO. if you are out in the woods with your rifle for protection, how does the CO know if you are "searching for" game or not? surely the CO has to prove you are "searching for" game? or is it a grey area?

You could just be standing there with your rifle. "Laying in Wait"

bigwhiteys
10-18-2011, 01:09 PM

I guess it's open for interpretation...

Of course, pictures taken of a dog AFTER the hunt, when the deer is dead and the tag is punched, is not "shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking or lying in wait for wildlife." My dog was safely in the truck when the hunt was occurring.

But, but, but, but.... does this mean we have to take your word for it...? What if the CO didn't believe you...?

Unlike Carl's friend, my dog and I didn't break any laws and are careful not to. A couple of COs I know also have this pic and have replied "congratulations on a good eater" to me.

I guess we'll just have to take your word for it...

Nice try Carl, enjoy your time out for trashing the animals I have legally harvested this year, contrary to the rules of this forum. Say hi to Willy for me. Hope Willy doesn't get caught shooting another whitetail buck from his truck this year, like the one he admitted to earlier on this forum.

Oh, Oh.... Somebody didn't like the satire and hit the "report post" button didn't they... And then immediately rebound by making accusations about people you don't know or have ever met :mrgreen: since you've posted this publically, please provide some proof other than a forum quote that Willy was ever questioned, suspected, "caught" or in fact charged in relation to a whitetail buck shot from the inside of a truck? I would love to hear that side of the story, considering he's only killed 1 whitetail in his life (a 202" non-typical) and it was on gated, private land your buddy did not have any access to.

Sorry if you felt I was "trashing" your animals. I thought the baby elk was sort of cute, actually. I also killed a spike buck myself last year and he tasted great, not really enough meat for my family though.

Carl

Mikey Rafiki
10-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Better to slander eachother, or eachothers friends/aquaintances on a public forum than take the high road.
Would have had respect for everyones opinion up until the last couple pages, but someone had to take the bait eh?

I sure as hell would be a pissy CO if I had to spend all hunting season watching people camp, drink and harvest wildlife. Us outdoorsman need to make things a little easier on them, cause it may only take one bad interaction with a hunter to sour them, so it goes both ways. Another reason why I do as little driving as possible during hunting season; hunt from camp or hunt from home.

Now back to the school yard...

SimilkameenSlayer
10-18-2011, 01:16 PM
"i was just looking through my scope to see that elk, honestly mr CO." the CO replies "but your finger was on the trigger."

or

"i was just checking out the countryside and wanted some protection".

thankfully it seems 99% of COs have "common sense".

i hope .... :mrgreen:

Gateholio
10-18-2011, 02:19 PM
FD is correct about the laws with a buddy accompanying you with a rifle but no licence. If the CO had witnessed your buddy while you were hunting, he probably would have issued a ticket. He's not just out for a hike with a protection gun if he is actively seeking bears with you.

As for your little feud, knock it off, the both of you.

MB_Boy
10-18-2011, 02:26 PM
As this thread has gone sideways.....I know there have been threads about it before; but what happens in the case of a guy who has a Grizz LEH and wants to take it with a bow but also wants a buddy along for "lead" backup?

rocksteady
10-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Back to bigwhiteys post..#10.....This situation could have been easily prevented, I think

As a hunter, I know that I will hunt every year, so late March of every year I go to the sports shop and buy a hunting and fishing licence...

Maybe the CO would not have had such an interest if oyur firend actually had a hunting licence???? versus just a PAL...

I do not know for sure, just wondering....

Gateholio
10-18-2011, 02:33 PM
As this thread has gone sideways.....I know there have been threads about it before; but what happens in the case of a guy who has a Grizz LEH and wants to take it with a bow but also wants a buddy along for "lead" backup?

Backup man should buy a black bear or deer tag or at least be hunting yotes or wolves with his .375

Barracuda
10-18-2011, 02:34 PM
he cant shoot it and he cant even be with you armed and seeking the grizzly unless he has a legit reason (he could always hunt black bear) . only the person with the leh can legally dispatch the animal in a non life threatening hunting situation. if it is a life or death situation and buddy shoots the bear then it is meant to be reported as such to CO's.

Walking Buffalo
10-18-2011, 03:25 PM

Without a hunting licence or a gun or a bow, I was tracking a bear on crown land, carrying a Brick hammer....

Reposted in case you missed it.

Gateholio
10-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Call the local CO

whitetail2009
10-18-2011, 03:49 PM
A co-worker was with his buddies, hunting on the weekend and was checked by co's, they actually asked for pal or pol, his freind did not have his with him, so he made my buddy carry his gun back to camp and promise not to hunt anymore without his pal. sounds pretty straight forward.

Mikey Rafiki
10-18-2011, 03:59 PM
A co-worker was with his buddies, hunting on the weekend and was checked by co's, they actually asked for pal or pol, his freind did not have his with him, so he made my buddy carry his gun back to camp and promise not to hunt anymore without his pal. sounds pretty straight forward.

Thought the CO's didn't ask for that since they weren't funded to enforce federal laws? That's what I heard a couple years back anyways. Have only had the RCMP ask for my PAL before.

Fisher-Dude
10-18-2011, 04:15 PM

You'd be hunting with that brick hammer, if you had the intention of killing the bear. Whether the brick hammer is legal weaponry, I dunno.

Mikey R, the COs are now responsible for enforcing all the federal stuff too, like boating licences, etc. Did you know a barbed hook in a barbless lake is a federal rap?

I too wish there were federal funding for all the stuff the COs have to enforce. It's something I've bitched about to the ADM, suggesting the province pursue federal funds. We'll see.

.330 Dakota
10-18-2011, 04:21 PM

Obviously you dont frequent the local Tim Hortons do you...lol

.330 Dakota
10-18-2011, 04:22 PM
You'd be hunting with that brick hammer, if you had the intention of killing the bear. Whether the brick hammer is legal weaponry, I dunno.

Mikey R, the COs are now responsible for enforcing all the federal stuff too, like boating licences, etc. Did you know a barbed hook in a barbless lake is a federal rap?

I too wish there were federal funding for all the stuff the COs have to enforce. It's something I've bitched about to the ADM, suggesting the province pursue federal funds. We'll see.

Ahha, was that brick hammer registered, long handle or short???

Peter Pepper
10-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Ok Ok. How about Buddy in hunting bear and other buddy has got a gun for bear protection...ya know in case they run into a agressive one.

Walking Buffalo
10-18-2011, 09:21 PM

Thank you.

"if you had the intention of killing the bear."

The same threshold must be applied to post #10.

A hammer can be defined as a "weapon", it all depends on how it is used, and from a cursory review of the BC hunting regulation, a hammer is a legal tool for hunting.

In the scenarion posed, my "tracking" a bear with a "weapon" while "unlicenced", is only illegal if I have the "intent" to capture the bear.

In post #10, Bigwhitey's friend could only be charged for illegally hunting bear if he admitted to having the Intent to capture one. Bigwhitey's statment of "we were hunting spring bear" is a second person account of the friend's action, therefor heresay.

My INTENT is that hunters don't get Mis-educated on the law. Your explaination of why Bigwhitey's friend was hunting illegally is wrong.

Many hunters only look at the Hunting Synopsis. This is NOT a legal document, nor is it complete. These links provide the Wildlife Act and the Hunting Regulation, worth reading. Many of the questions asked in this thread are answered within the documents.

BC Wildlife Act
http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?text=Wildlife+Act&language=en&searchTitle=Statutes+and+Regulations+of+British+Co lumbia&path=/en/bc/laws/stat/rsbc-1996-c-488/latest/rsbc-1996-c-488.html

BC Hunting Regulation
http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/laws/regu/bc-reg-190-84/latest/part-2/bc-reg-190-84-part-2.html

aggiehunter
10-18-2011, 09:43 PM
It wasn't that long ago that Co's were educators as well as enforcers..judging between the goodguys and the bad...unfortunately now they seem to be eager to write a blue slip for something that is more often than not an oversight on a well meaning and honest hunter...I've seem it happen in the EK a few times and there are a few of us ready for a formal complaint. It often feels like your being spyed on when your fishing out there and certainly a fishcop will pop out of nowhere to take your valueable holiday time grilling you. One of our hunting buddies killed a WT in the late bow season...lives in the EK...inadvertantly neglected to cut region 4 out of the tag...everything else was cut and he was stopped while loading the deer...$230 later he too now has that bitter taste for the CO service. As a young guy I did some roadchecks with the boys in blue and I still respect them...I just wish they would get back to helping hunters out....I as others believe they may be part of the decline in hunter numbers.

Fisher-Dude
10-18-2011, 11:05 PM
It wasn't that long ago that Co's were educators as well as enforcers..judging between the goodguys and the bad...unfortunately now they seem to be eager to write a blue slip for something that is more often than not an oversight on a well meaning and honest hunter...I've seem it happen in the EK a few times and there are a few of us ready for a formal complaint. It often feels like your being spyed on when your fishing out there and certainly a fishcop will pop out of nowhere to take your valueable holiday time grilling you. One of our hunting buddies killed a WT in the late bow season...lives in the EK...inadvertantly neglected to cut region 4 out of the tag...everything else was cut and he was stopped while loading the deer...$230 later he too now has that bitter taste for the CO service. As a young guy I did some roadchecks with the boys in blue and I still respect them...I just wish they would get back to helping hunters out....I as others believe they may be part of the decline in hunter numbers.

How does the CO know he isn't fraudulently clipping region 3 when he gets home, then shooting another doe in region 4? The laws are in place to stop this.

gitnadoix
10-18-2011, 11:39 PM
For those that have always had more bad experiences with CO's than good .....what has always been the common denominator in all those meetings.......I'll wait a minute while you think about it........thats right you. Yet there are others here who always seem to have reasonable experiences.....and they too have a common denominator in those meetings....thats right them.

If all day your job was to look for people who are doing things wrong, which is a large part of their job remember finding people who are trying to look inconspicuous while breaking the law. In fact poachers dont wear a special hat or uniform at all, they try real hard to look just like all of us law abiding hunters. So untill the CO's asks you a few questions and inspects your camp/truck/boat etc, they do not know if you are a good person on a P.O.S. Plus you may get checked once every few years when you average out your hunting career, if that. And I imagine garbage like getting Iphones turned to video record and stuffed in your face while they are doing their job in case they do any thing slightly wrong and being flipped attitude by both poachers and some legal hunters alike all day gets a bit anoying after a while, especialy since they would likely rather be hunting themselves. So next time you think your getting a CO on a bad day, you do not know what crap they were fed by the previous people they checked so cut them some slack and see if you can have them leave you in a better mood than when they arived for the next hunter they check.
Sometimes enforecemnt people follow a hunch and some times it pays off huge, case in point those RCMP officers that pulled over a vehicle that they thought was suspicious near Vanderhoof last winter.......they got a serial killer......sorry aleged serrial killer off the road. Who knows how many lives that hunch saved....then again it may have just been a guy stopping for a leak off the highway.....So if every few years I get inconvienenced for a bit and a bright light shone in my face by the RCMP on the side of the highway or few probing questions by the CO's in the woods is the price I pay to have the resource saved and human lives saved sign me up.....

Those that think CO's are no damm good......why dont you do something about it and become one and do it right since you obviously know how to do it better.....

happyhunter
10-18-2011, 11:40 PM
I still have a question. Can one person (A) be on a legal hunt, while another person(B) accompanies them and that person(B) possesses a firearm (has PAL, no hunting license) but is not engaged in the hunt, just along for the ride, so to speak? It does look like if you are in possession of a firearm you cannot engage in a 'hunt' unless you have a hunting licence, tags, etc. But a person can carry a firearm year round as long as they have a PAL. So is it illegal for this person(B) to carry their firearm when they accompany another person (A) who is engaged in a legal hunt? Person (A) is on a 'hunt' that meets everything in that definition FD posted. Person (B) is simply a PAL holder, carrying a firearm, in the presence of person(A).

Legal or Not?

cumminsforever
10-18-2011, 11:43 PM
I don't really care as long as they catch these poachers seen elk,moose and a few deer shot n left in the bush. I have a buddy who poaches n yet I can't exactly report him as I have no proof or whereabouts as to where he did it just him telling me. Needles to say I have not visited him in months.

Although if a CO randomly pulls me over n decides he's doing a search of my truck he better give me a good reason why he wants to otherwise they can go F them self. I have nothing to hide but I feel it's an invasion of my privacy when they wanna do that after looking in the back of my open boxed truck looking at my license n all that stuff n everything is good.

bigwhiteys
10-19-2011, 12:13 AM
I still have a question. Can one person (A) be on a legal hunt, while another
person(B) accompanies them and that person(B) possesses a firearm (has PAL, no
hunting license) but is not engaged in the hunt, just along for the ride, so to
speak? It does look like if you are in possession of a firearm you cannot engage
in a 'hunt' unless you have a hunting licence, tags, etc. But a person can carry
a firearm year round as long as they have a PAL. So is it illegal for this
person(B) to carry their firearm when they accompany another person (A) who is
engaged in a legal hunt? Person (A) is on a 'hunt' that meets everything in that
definition FD posted. Person (B) is simply a PAL holder, carrying a firearm, in
the presence of person(A).

Legal or Not?

Good Question, I have a friend that is a non-hunter, he's come on a few sheep trips, loves the hiking and the country but doesn't want to kill anything. Sometimes he stays in camp, other times he's several hundred yards away from me. He is very wary of Grizzly bears and the areas we hunt have many, so his fear isn't without merritt. He's asked if he could bring along his defender shotgun next time for protection, not sure what to tell him. PAL gives you the right to legally pack a gun? sounds like my buddy can't even point out any game either or he'd be "hunting" by definition and FD will swoop in from the sky and strike him with a lightning bolt and a wet hairball from that dog :mrgreen:

While Fisher-Dude automatically assumes the worst of everyone and everything a CO would obviously investigate until satisfied either way and the burden of proof would be on them to prove the individual was committing an offence. Should that individual feel they were handed a ticket that they wish to contest there is a process to contest it that doesn't involve our self appointed HBC judge of character.

Carl

5 spike
10-19-2011, 04:11 AM
In 27 years of huntingi have been stopped three times in the bush, everytime they have been polite and done there check on rifles and licenses. Never once a bad experience.I have great respect for what they do there are alot of a holes out there that do need to be delt with.

Fisher-Dude
10-19-2011, 05:34 AM
I don't really care as long as they catch these poachers seen elk,moose and a few deer shot n left in the bush. I have a buddy who poaches n yet I can't exactly report him as I have no proof or whereabouts as to where he did it just him telling me. Needles to say I have not visited him in months.

Although if a CO randomly pulls me over n decides he's doing a search of my truck he better give me a good reason why he wants to otherwise they can go F them self. I have nothing to hide but I feel it's an invasion of my privacy when they wanna do that after looking in the back of my open boxed truck looking at my license n all that stuff n everything is good.

Hey tough guy, he doesn't have to give you ANY reason why he's searching your vehicle. He has every right, under the law, to inspect your vehicle.

The Wildlife Act gives him essentially more powers than most cops have for search activities. You tell him to "go F himself", and you're in for a whole lot of hurt. Why not chat him up about hunting, the weather, his truck, etc, and be a nice guy instead of a prick to him? Trust me, it will go a long way toward a respectful relationship that will help you when you need it the most.

You better read this, and understand it. You're 18 years old, and you don't want the "mouthy punk" label from the COs in your area:

Search without warrant

(a) search a person whom he or she believes on reasonable grounds has in his or her possession any wildlife or fish killed, taken or possessed in violation of this Act or the regulations, or about to be illegally exported,
(b) stop and search a motor vehicle, private or chartered aircraft, boat or other conveyance, in or on which he or she believes on reasonable grounds that wildlife or fish is being carried by a person, and
(c) enter and search a shop, public market, storehouse, garage, restaurant, hotel, eating house or camp, in or on which he or she believes on reasonable grounds that wildlife or fish is located.

Officers empowered to stop vehicles

95 (1) An officer may, for the purposes of this Act, stop a motor vehicle, private or chartered aircraft or boat or other vehicle to determine whether or not the occupants of the vehicle have been hunting, trapping or angling, and to obtain information about wildlife or game fish possessed by them.
(2) A person commits an offence under subsection (1) if the person
(a) fails to stop,
(b) fails to identify himself or herself when requested to do so by the officer,
(c) refuses to give information respecting hunting or fishing, or
(d) being the driver or operator of a motor vehicle, in or on which there is wildlife or game fish or an article or device that may be used for hunting, trapping or fishing, fails, refuses or neglects to stop his or her motor vehicle when signalled or requested to stop by an officer who is in his or her uniform of office or displays his or her official badge.

Obstructing officers

96 (1) A person who resists or obstructs an officer from exercising his or her duty under this Act commits an offence.
(2) An officer is, for the purposes of this Act, a peace officer.

BCHunterTV
10-19-2011, 06:26 AM

little harsh id say, BUT

...It has to be an invasion of Privacy unless there is a crime and you fit the description in someway id think, random searches of vehicles and rifling through personals to me would be "Invasions of ones Privacy and Harassment" to me...

I cant see how a CO can legally just stop you because you have a hunting license and violate your personal rights just because they want too without an active crime

BiG Boar
10-19-2011, 06:43 AM
A person commits an offence under subsection if the person refuses to give information respecting hunting or fishing
Does this mean you DO NOT have the right to remain silent?

A conservation officer or constable may, without a warrant, enter and search a shop, public market, storehouse, garage, restaurant, hotel, eating house or camp, in or on which he or she believes on reasonable grounds that wildlife or fish is located. Does this mean they can come into your house too?

Fisher-Dude
10-19-2011, 06:44 AM
little harsh id say, BUT

...It has to be an invasion of Privacy unless there is a crime and you fit the description in someway id think, random searches of vehicles and rifling through personals to me would be "Invasions of ones Privacy and Harassment" to me...

I cant see how a CO can legally just stop you because you have a hunting license and violate your personal rights just because they want too without an active crime

The Wildlife Act gives them every right to, in the sections I posted above.

proguide66
10-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Ive found that people are people..period...some are a little 'challenged' in the head and some arent.Some are judges some are waiters , some cops and some CO's. Unfortunately sometimes some 'challenged' ones get themselves a job wit a little too much power and can abuse it. I think it takes a 'BIG' person to be able to live with that power and stay 'even keel' day to day with all the frustrations that come with it.
Being a CO and staying on top of all the bad shit must be pretty frustrating as this province is massive and under gunned when i comes to catching the bad guys.
But i sure does suck ass when you have a meeting with an abusive person who has a badge of any flavour. I remember one CO in Clearwater years ago who deffinitly had some issus and deffitely was in the wrong position for his personality. He even went as far as calling us " non residents cleaning up all OUR big alpine bucks" with attitude...umm..HUH??:?

But it can go on in any position. Sadly many many people who are cops are deffinitely in the wrong job...or does the job make the abusive person after years??

I know I couldnt do either job. I'd be kicked off the job after my first run in with non english speaking poachers..:twisted: ( well , IF they found the bodies,:lol:)

Weatherby Fan
10-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Well I guess I have to agree with that union bashing Fisher Dude !
If you have nothing to hide there's no reason be on the defensive let them search whatever they want and carry on
Most everytime I've been checked they have been more than pleasant other than in the Cranbrook area Elk hunting when they stop in our camp they seem to be more than thorough lol
But again theyre just doing their job,I am getting a little tired of the rectal exams though :?

BCHunterTV
10-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Are you kidding me? Would it be ok for the police to randomly select Lisensed firearm owners and knock in their door and want to see your guns and how they are stored?

I do not have an issue for being stopped and checked. But if that co is going to "randomly" go through my personal items without an active investigation to please himself I'll defiantly be complaining about my privacy rights whether he has the said right to by his governed law or not.

bigwhiteys
10-19-2011, 08:11 AM
The Wildlife Act gives them every right to, in the sections I posted above.

Only if they believe you maybe transporting Wildlife or Fish. In order to determine that, they would need probable cause like blood on the tailgate, hair on the tailgate, legs sticking up, a rack in the back, you told them, or something that would suggest to them you have wildlife or fish in the vehicle. Not because "they feel like it".

Carl

Sitkaspruce
10-19-2011, 08:27 AM
little harsh id say, BUT

So tell me, how would you find anything wrong if you could NOT conduct an inspection of a hunter/fisher while travelling the back road???

They have to be able to prove that you are fishing/hunting and that means as soon as you produce a lic, they can inspect your vehicle because it answers the reasonable and probable gounds.....same as if you have a rifle or fishing rod that can been seen by visual search with out entering your vehicle...reasonable ground to do a search, blood on your truck bumper, arm/hand or any of the more than a few dozen other things they can use to do a search of your vehicle. They cannot go on a fishing trip though and just start searching your vehicle if you are not hunting/fishing, cutting fire wood etc.

My question is, why do people fight this?? Do you have something to hide?? They are only doing a job that takes a special kind of person to do. It is not an easy job, yet they are damned if they do and damn if they don't, depending on people moods. And think like the little tough guy who will tell them to go F%$# themselves, keep digging and see how deep you can go......LOL!!!!!

A person commits an offence under subsection if the person refuses to give information respecting hunting or fishing
Does this mean you DO NOT have the right to remain silent?

Dave, only if you are lying about your activities. Like if you say you are not out hunting and there is fresh blood on your hands, a rifle on the seat and a dead deer in the back of your truck.......

A conservation officer or constable may, without a warrant, enter and search a shop, public market, storehouse, garage, restaurant, hotel, eating house or camp, in or on which he or she believes on reasonable grounds that wildlife or fish is located. Does this mean they can come into your house too?

They need a search warrant to conduct an investigation in your home. Private land is different than a private dwelling.

Cheers

SS

SimilkameenSlayer
10-19-2011, 08:29 AM
i suppose if we where doing a better job at reporting illegal hunting, there would be less need for the COs.

greenhorn
10-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Good Question, I have a friend that is a non-hunter, he's come on a few sheep trips, loves the hiking and the country but doesn't want to kill anything. Sometimes he stays in camp, other times he's several hundred yards away from me. He is very wary of Grizzly bears and the areas we hunt have many, so his fear isn't without merritt. He's asked if he could bring along his defender shotgun next time for protection, not sure what to tell him. PAL gives you the right to legally pack a gun? sounds like my buddy can't even point out any game either or he'd be "hunting" by definition and FD will swoop in from the sky and strike him with a lightning bolt and a wet hairball from that dog :mrgreen:

While Fisher-Dude automatically assumes the worst of everyone and everything a CO would obviously investigate until satisfied either way and the burden of proof would be on them to prove the individual was committing an offence. Should that individual feel they were handed a ticket that they wish to contest there is a process to contest it that doesn't involve our self appointed HBC judge of character.

Carl

If you're sheep hunting and buddy is packing a shot-gun, i think a reasonable CO would realize he isn't sheep hunting. Does anyone hunt sheep with a shot-gun?

bigwhiteys
10-19-2011, 08:40 AM
If you're sheep hunting and buddy is packing a shot-gun, i think a reasonable CO
would realize he isn't sheep hunting. Does anyone hunt sheep with a
shot-gun?

You'd think... but there are also grouse around, how do you explain that one if the CO wants to flex his muscles?

Just found this for conversations sake...

In Canadian constitutional law, the doctrine of paramountcy establishes
that where there is a conflict between valid provincial and federal laws, the
federal law will prevail and the provincial law will be inoperative to the
extent that it conflicts with the federal law. This model of paramountcy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramountcy) is often known as "federal paramountcy."

Considering our PAL is federal, and our BC hunting regulations are provincial, would the right to pack a gun as a PAL holder not supercede the other?

Carl

Philcott
10-19-2011, 08:40 AM
I've had a few encounters with co's over the years some pleasant some not so. The not so pleasant ones were usually due to an oversight on my part that we were able to work out upon discussion (without attitude) over what had transpired.

It seems to me the whole issue of being searched comes down to whether "he or she believes on reasonable grounds" that there are reasons to did deeper. What is reasonable grounds?? Therein lies the question. It's what he or she believes. If they believe and you don't allow the search you are breaking the law. Plain and simple. You are free to file a complaint, after the fact, if you feel wrong done by the CO and you are free to challenge a ticket, if you are caught doing something wrong, based on them having no grounds for the search in the first place.

BCHunterTV
10-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Why is it need to always be "do you have something to hide?" When our personal rights are in question? I do agree they have a difficult job and fully support them!

So tell me, how would you find anything wrong if you could NOT conduct an inspection of a hunter/fisher while travelling the back road???

They have to be able to prove that you are fishing/hunting and that means as soon as you produce a lic, they can inspect your vehicle because it answers the reasonable and probable gounds.....same as if you have a rifle or fishing rod that can been seen by visual search with out entering your vehicle...reasonable ground to do a search, blood on your truck bumper, arm/hand or any of the more than a few dozen other things they can use to do a search of your vehicle. They cannot go on a fishing trip though and just start searching your vehicle if you are not hunting/fishing, cutting fire wood etc.

My question is, why do people fight this?? Do you have something to hide?? They are only doing a job that takes a special kind of person to do. It is not an easy job, yet they are damned if they do and damn if they don't, depending on people moods. And think like the little tough guy who will tell them to go F%$# themselves, keep digging and see how deep you can go......LOL!!!!!

They need a search warrant to conduct an investigation in your home. Private land is different than a private dwelling.

Cheers

SS

wsm
10-19-2011, 09:13 AM
some co's are good @ their job others are not and should not hold those positions given their personality. this is true of all jobs where authority comes to play . i personally would not like to see this place without co's , however they should be under strict rules to follow with severe consequences if they break the rules. ... case and point my friend . the co tried to railroad my friend to agree to the co's version of what he thought happend, AND said he'd take my friends stuff if he didnt agree to it .. come the f--k on .. even if my friend did agree to avoid losing his stuff it would have been under duress.

MB_Boy
10-19-2011, 09:21 AM

I agree 100%.....if I have nothing to hide why would I give a sh*t? Sure it may take a bit of time out of my hunting but heck...if he stopped me on the road I can probably increase my road hunting speed for 20-40 for a half hour and catch up to where I would have been. :wink:

Spend as much time as I do flying for work and going through security checks; having a CO check through your vehicle seems like a nice chance to have a chat. :wink:

greenhorn
10-19-2011, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=bigwhiteys;999266]You'd think... but there are also grouse around, how do you explain that one if the CO wants to flex his muscles?

Maybe he could label his shot-gun shells "for bear protection only", then show them to a CO upon being questioned...... maybe that's ridiculous I dunno :)

Why don't some of the COs on this site chime in??????

Mikey Rafiki
10-19-2011, 10:45 AM
^ and blow their cover? :)

I wouldn't expect them to chime in, or someone here will quote them out in the bush saying this CO said what I'm doing is ok. All of these hypothetical situations create a lot of grey areas. If you ask for clarification, they will refer you to the existing written rules and regs. A lot of these things would have to get to court in order to get a final interpretation of the law.

finngun
10-19-2011, 10:56 AM
no co.s or anybody else can't make criminal case out of legal gun -you are carried while legal hunting..if nothing been shot yet..this is bs.

TPK
10-19-2011, 11:15 AM
I still have a question. Can one person (A) be on a legal hunt, while another person(B) accompanies them and that person(B) possesses a firearm (has PAL, no hunting license) but is not engaged in the hunt, just along for the ride, so to speak? It does look like if you are in possession of a firearm you cannot engage in a 'hunt' unless you have a hunting licence, tags, etc. But a person can carry a firearm year round as long as they have a PAL. So is it illegal for this person(B) to carry their firearm when they accompany another person (A) who is engaged in a legal hunt? Person (A) is on a 'hunt' that meets everything in that definition FD posted. Person (B) is simply a PAL holder, carrying a firearm, in the presence of person(A).

Legal or Not?

Look at it this way .. a Hooker is taking a "friend" out to see how she plies her trade. Her "friend" is dressed pretty much the same as the Hooker, maybe the heels aren't so high .. After watching the Hooker approach John's and try to ply her trade (all the while the friend is there with her), a cop arrests the two for prostitution. He knows the one is a Hooker from previous convictions and assumes the other is due to her attire and proximity to the other one during the whole ordeal. So, how does the "friend" defend herself in court? "Well your honour, I wasn't hooking, I always dress like that and was simply going along with my Hooker friend to see how things are done".

In other words, if you have a firearm and are out with people that are hunting .. be prepared to have the assumption made that you are hunting too and be prepared for a pretty hard time in court to prove otherwise. To avoid the problem, the non-hunter should not be in posession of a firearm during the hunt, period.

Simply put, DON'T put yourself in an obvious position where misunderstandings can occur. Yes, it really is that simple.

rocksteady
10-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Nice analogy TPK........We have now gone from Hunters to Hookers:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Now we are gonna have to start a new thread about Road Hookers, Backpack Hookers, Fly In Hookers, :wink:

Trapper D
10-19-2011, 11:28 AM
as long as he has a current licence and the appropriate weapon for the animals that you can shoot without a tag, i dont see a loss in the court room. lol, or register your name as a registered trademark, and when they fine you, counter sue them with a 500,000 trademark infringement lawsuit for illegally using your name.lol

greenhorn
10-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Nice analogy TPK........We have now gone from Hunters to Hookers:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Now we are gonna have to start a new thread about Road Hookers, Backpack Hookers, Fly In Hookers, :wink:

Don't forget guide/outfitter Hookers and the Resident Hooker allocations....

GoatGuy
10-19-2011, 11:49 AM

Just like forgetting to put your seatbelt on or accidently going over the speed limit, man up and pay the price.

There are issues with people not cutting region or simply slicing them thinly so they can shoot more than their bag limit in their own region. COs don't know whether your friend is one who forgot or one who did it with intent.

cumminsforever
10-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey tough guy, he doesn't have to give you ANY reason why he's searching your vehicle. He has every right, under the law, to inspect your vehicle.

The Wildlife Act gives him essentially more powers than most cops have for search activities. You tell him to "go F himself", and you're in for a whole lot of hurt. Why not chat him up about hunting, the weather, his truck, etc, and be a nice guy instead of a prick to him? Trust me, it will go a long way toward a respectful relationship that will help you when you need it the most.

You better read this, and understand it. You're 18 years old, and you don't want the "mouthy punk" label from the COs in your area:

I guess your right I just reread the regs. I still don't think it's right but what can you do. But your right best way is to keep on there good side I don't think the cops in town even know who I am n Ive lived here my whole life.

Fisher-Dude
10-19-2011, 12:32 PM
no co.s or anybody else can't make criminal case out of legal gun -you are carried while legal hunting..if nothing been shot yet..this is bs.

You would be incorrect. See the highlighted wording:

MB_Boy
10-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Hey cumminsforever :roll::roll:.....as an 18 yr old kid who is "soon to be a hunting guide" as your profile states; you may want to rethink your approach. If you get all in a guide's face while he may be checking your clients it may not be received to well....by those on either side of you.

If you hunt according to the laws then what worry do you have if a guy checks your truck out? If a CO checks your license and what is in plain view....unless you're the dick or he has suspicion of a reason to look further you "should" be okay unless he's an arsehole.

I tell ya.....if I am a CO and some kid (or anyone for that matter) decides to be a dick to me when I am just checking him as I have the authority to; I'll make his life as difficult as I so choose, so that maybe when he grows up he'll learn there are better ways to go about things. Just sayin'. :wink:

What happens if a cop stops you.....same attitude if he wants to check things a bit further?

Good luck with that. :wink:

IronNoggin
10-19-2011, 12:47 PM
How does the CO know he isn't fraudulently clipping region 3 when he gets home, then shooting another doe in region 4?

There are issues with people not cutting region or simply slicing them thinly so they can shoot more than their bag limit in their own region.

Bit of a stretch IMHO. In the case in point, the poster noted that his Buddy had cut ALL of the other required slots. One can assume that would include the DATE perhaps?! While it might be possible to run the animal home, and then run to another region entirely to take another the same day, methinks the the liklihood of such an occurance is somewhat remote? http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif

Just sayin'...
Nog

GoatGuy
10-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Its a big issue here, part of the drive to stabdardize seasons across regions. Ride-along with a CO or help out at a check and you'll see. Think the COS also had an article on it a couple years ago as well.

Bit of a stretch IMHO. In the case in point, the poster noted that his Buddy had cut ALL of the other required slots. One can assume that would include the DATE perhaps?! While it might be possible to run the animal home, and then run to another region entirely to take another the same day, methinks the the liklihood of such an occurance is somewhat remote? http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif

Just sayin'...
Nog

wsm
10-19-2011, 01:59 PM
in some cases the co's dont give guys a chance to be ass hats before throwing accusations @ them . which causes attitude/conflict. some need better people skills

SimilkameenSlayer
10-19-2011, 02:12 PM
in some cases the co's dont give guys a chance to be ass hats before throwing accusations @ them . which causes attitude/conflict. some need better people skills

some hunters need better people skills as well.

happyhunter
10-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Look at it this way .. a Hooker is taking a "friend" out to see how she plies her trade. Her "friend" is dressed pretty much the same as the Hooker, maybe the heels aren't so high .. After watching the Hooker approach John's and try to ply her trade (all the while the friend is there with her), a cop arrests the two for prostitution. He knows the one is a Hooker from previous convictions and assumes the other is due to her attire and proximity to the other one during the whole ordeal. So, how does the "friend" defend herself in court? "Well your honour, I wasn't hooking, I always dress like that and was simply going along with my Hooker friend to see how things are done".

In other words, if you have a firearm and are out with people that are hunting .. be prepared to have the assumption made that you are hunting too and be prepared for a pretty hard time in court to prove otherwise. To avoid the problem, the non-hunter should not be in posession of a firearm during the hunt, period.

Simply put, DON'T put yourself in an obvious position where misunderstandings can occur. Yes, it really is that simple.

I agree. If you are accompanying someone on a hunt you are part of that hunt, especially if you are carrying a firearm while accompanying someone on a hunt.
Other times things can be legal but appear questionable to a CO. There are gray areas and loopholes it seems. Its all well and good for those that follow the law but poachers will use these loop holes to take advantage of the system. We are putting our CO's in a bad spot if we are found in one of these situations, even if our intentions are to follow the law.

X2 on your last sentence

wsm
10-19-2011, 02:41 PM
some hunters need better people skills as well.this is true as . but the hunters are not in a position that enables the abuse of authoriy

boxhitch
10-19-2011, 03:32 PM

Just sayin'...
NogYou are missing the method
Said poacher takes a deer/whatever, cuts the notches except for the region. Does so in 8, gets home safe, punches his tag for 3 or 4 and hunts in 8 on another tag, possibly exceeding bag limit for that region.
Have seen the case where the guy has all notches done except for the last one, license and scissors in hand all the way home.

*Note*- when a CO stops a vehicle and demands 'All hands on the dash NOW!' and someone is slow to comply, charges of 'failing to obey' can be laid.

cumminsforever
10-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Hey cumminsforever :roll::roll:.....as an 18 yr old kid who is "soon to be a hunting guide" as your profile states; you may want to rethink your approach. If you get all in a guide's face while he may be checking your clients it may not be received to well....by those on either side of you.

If you hunt according to the laws then what worry do you have if a guy checks your truck out? If a CO checks your license and what is in plain view....unless you're the dick or he has suspicion of a reason to look further you "should" be okay unless he's an arsehole.

I tell ya.....if I am a CO and some kid (or anyone for that matter) decides to be a dick to me when I am just checking him as I have the authority to; I'll make his life as difficult as I so choose, so that maybe when he grows up he'll learn there are better ways to go about things. Just sayin'. :wink:

What happens if a cop stops you.....same attitude if he wants to check things a bit further?

Good luck with that. :wink:

I'm good with cops I have never had a problem with them except one.

I'm also going away from the guiding going to college in the fall to become a commercial transport mechanic. I'm just saying if theCO wants to be a dick I'll be a dick back I normally don't feel like any hassle with the piece officers is needed. But I won't take one of them using his/her badge to push me around because he/she wants to be a dick.

MB_Boy
10-19-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm also going away from the guiding going to college in the fall to become a commercial transport mechanic. I'm just saying if theCO wants to be a dick I'll be a dick back I normally don't feel like any hassle with the piece officers is needed. But I won't take one of them using his/her badge to push me around because he/she wants to be a dick.

Fair enough....and to each his own; I am just saying you're going to get further and on your way faster if he IS being a "dick" with just letting him do his thing. If he's having a shitty day....then no sense in "poking the bear" and being held up for a few hours when you could just let him do his thing and get you on your way as soon as you can.

If you wanna play games with him.....and if he IS in fact being a dick.....shower him with kindness; you'd be surprised what it can do to someone who is being a dick to you. They either....get pissed off more (but it's not from you being a dick) or pissed off at themselves.....or you break them and turn em' around.

Islandeer
10-19-2011, 04:07 PM
I have been hunting in BC since I was 6, so 45 years. I have met,known,hunted with,been checked,been helped and assisted CO's during this time.

They have all treated myself and my family and friends fairly and professionly. We have never given them any reason to treat us otherwise. Check tags,check guns,where you from,what are you hunting,hows the hunting,who shot the buck, the usual repoir queries.

100% compliance from all of us has always been appreciated from the CO's and many times they have shared local knowledge which is good stuff to know.

So my stand on all of this hot air on this thread re CO's is that if your not doing something stupid then you have nothing to worry about. If your worried about something stupid you did then you shouldn't have done it in the first place. So be smart out there, and if your not real smart at least try not to be too stupid.

bigwhiteys
10-19-2011, 04:28 PM
If you wanna play games with him.....and if he IS in fact being a dick.....shower him with kindness; you'd be surprised what it can do to someone who is being a dick to you. They either....get pissed off more (but it's not from you being a dick) or pissed off at themselves.....or you break them and turn em' around.

lol... Good advice.... "Iiiiiiii'mmmmmmmmm sooooo happppppppppy to seee yooooooouuuuuu!"

http://girlyourenotalone.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/simmons.jpg

Wheelin Sportsman
10-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Only problem i have with Co's is that aren't nearly enough of them..

IronNoggin
10-19-2011, 06:07 PM
You are missing the method
Said poacher takes a deer/whatever, cuts the notches except for the region. Does so in 8, gets home safe, punches his tag for 3 or 4 and hunts in 8 on another tag, possibly exceeding bag limit for that region.

You're absolutely correct, I TOTALLY missed that possibility. Never even would have thought of it actually. Thanks for bringing me up to speed here!

Cheers,
Nog

MB_Boy
10-19-2011, 06:11 PM
lol... Good advice.... "Iiiiiiii'mmmmmmmmm sooooo happppppppppy to seee yooooooouuuuuu!"]

Do you know how mad it gets people who are in shitty moods if nice or even try and have fun with them??

Was that the best picture of Richard you could have found? He gets it at least. :wink:

All I am sayin' is why be a prick to a prick who can make your life more difficult than you want it to be when you're out in the bush??

Walking Buffalo
10-19-2011, 06:23 PM

A CO, He or She, has the authority to preform a warrantless search UNDER THE LAW.

FD, this authority is NOT Carte Blanche. There are laws that the CO must follow, or possibly face charges themselves.

The Wildlife Act is governed by other common rules of Law including The Canadian Charter of Rights, section 8, which limits the CO's authority to warrantless searches. The threshold for "reasonable grounds" has been established in the courts.

Again, FD, your posts are stretching the reality of the Law. You can't just make a personal interpretation of the Wildlife Act without including overriding law and Court precedent. You seem to be so concerned in this thread with being right, that you are willing to continue a mantra of Falsehood. I don't get it.:confused:

Barracuda
10-19-2011, 06:27 PM
i would say its the other way around WB.

Fisher-Dude
10-19-2011, 06:32 PM
A CO, He or She, has the authority to preform a warrantless search UNDER THE LAW.

FD, this authority is NOT Carte Blanche. There are laws that the CO must follow, or possibly face charges themselves.

The Wildlife Act is governed by other common rules of Law including The Canadian Charter of Rights, section 8, which limits the CO's authority to warrantless searches. The threshold for "reasonable grounds" has been established in the courts.

Again, FD, your posts are stretching the reality of the Law. You can't just make a personal interpretation of the Wildlife Act without including overriding law and Court precedent. You seem to be so concerned in this thread with being right, that you are willing to continue a mantra of Falsehood. I don't get it.:confused:

If the Charter made the statutory authority invalid, the statue would be repealed.

You're coming down a bush road in hunting season. The CO has every right under all applicable laws to stop you and inspect your vehicle.

Have you spent any time at all with a CO? I've been on many ride-alongs with the Wilderness Watch program, and have assisted at roadchecks. Volunteer some time and get up to speed on how the law works. :wink:

Barracuda
10-19-2011, 06:39 PM
the fact that your on a logging road operating a vehicle means they can search. heck they can stop and look for documents if they feel they have to.

reasonable grounds has a very broad scope and the fact of the matter is is that if you have been hunting or in a area of hunting activity etc you can be searched.

finngun
10-19-2011, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=finngun;999337]no co.s or anybody else can't make criminal case out of legal gun -you are carried while legal hunting..if nothing been shot yet..this is bs.

fisher dude----
You would be incorrect. See the highlighted wording:

(b) while in possession of a firearm or other weapon; -- yes but if i'm hiking mountains with my old shogun and not shot anything-- how in the real mind anybody can say --you are hunting
sheep-ram or anything else?? is it not legal keep gun for you protection? i still think it is bs..

Walking Buffalo
10-19-2011, 06:59 PM
If the Charter made the statutory authority invalid, the statue would be repealed.

You're coming down a bush road in hunting season. The CO has every right under all applicable laws to stop you and inspect your vehicle.

Have you spent any time at all with a CO? I've been on many ride-alongs with the Wilderness Watch program, and have assisted at roadchecks. Volunteer some time and get up to speed on how the law works. :wink:

There is no reason to repeal this section of the BC Wildlife Act. The fact remains The Charter has defined the Limitations on warrantless searches. Your comment that CO's can just search without reasonable grounds is false. Sure, you may have seen such searches carried out. That doesn't mean that the searches were legal.

Telling me to Volunteer some time? Why would you Assume to know the extend of my experience with the Law and CO's?

Just so we are on the same page, my replies to you are purely for education and debate, they are not argumentative nor personal. I don't know why you are changing the topic from interpretations of the law to your resume.

There is little point in shooting a dead skunk. Readers can make up their own mind as to the validity of your opinion in this thread.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-19-2011, 07:05 PM
There is no reason to repeal this section of the BC Wildlife Act. The fact remains The Charter has defined the Limitations on warrantless searches. Your comment that CO's can just search without reasonable grounds is false. Sure, you may have seen such searches carried out. That doesn't mean that the searches were legal.

i hope you are right, because these Orwellian laws are bad.

Barracuda
10-19-2011, 07:07 PM
a person is walking in the woods with a firearm dureing hunting season what is the first thing that comes to a reasonable persons mind? ---- i would say its reasonable to assume that he may be a hunter.

two guys are in the woods with a long arm each what is the first thing to to come to a reasonable persons mind? ----- Two guys hunting right???

only one guy has a lisence yet they are both armed what is the first thing that comes to a reasonable persons mind------ ???????

what would be the first thing a guy would try to say if he was caught hunting without a lisence???? Do you really think he would fess up if he thought he could get away with saying he wasnt hunting???

Barracuda
10-19-2011, 07:14 PM
i hope you are right, because these Orwellian laws are bad.

WB is incorrect in his understanding of the rights and abilities of a canadian citizen concering thier interaction with LEO searches seizures etc..

it is kinda orwellian but better then many other places.

If Canadians had spent more time looking at the laws and rights instead of trying to make sure they didnt become americanized then perhaps they would have the same inalienable rights as a US citizen does in the US

sledforever
10-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Taken right from the Act
Search without warrant

argyle1
10-19-2011, 07:58 PM

Carl
little pay????---I don't consider $70,000 + per year "little pay"---the only way to make monkeys like this guy into a good co is to educate them, the same way you would any other person abusing their power---go ahead and send the letter

cumminsforever
10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Do you know how mad it gets people who are in shitty moods if nice or even try and have fun with them??

Was that the best picture of Richard you could have found? He gets it at least. :wink:

All I am sayin' is why be a prick to a prick who can make your life more difficult than you want it to be when you're out in the bush??

True enough that's very true.

That picture made me laugh so hard it brought tears.

cumminsforever
10-19-2011, 08:29 PM
What about the words FREE COUNTRY.

Either way I got better things to do then argue this over n over again.

aggiehunter
10-19-2011, 08:36 PM
FD...He lives in Region 4 and not far from where he was standing with his deer....you'd make a good CO.

MB_Boy
10-19-2011, 08:42 PM
What about the words FREE COUNTRY.

Either way I got better things to do then argue this over n over again.

Hey Cummins....this is a "free country" to an extent; you can't just run all "willy nilly" (I think Richard would say that) and do whatever the you so choose. There are laws created by government at all levels and individuals in place to enforce those laws. Add to that if you look back the 4 or 5 posts to Section 93B of the Act as noted by sledforever; if a CO wants to check your vehicle because he thinks you are transporting game.....he's got every right to. :wink:

Try not to piss him off. :wink: :mrgreen:

gcreek
10-19-2011, 09:21 PM
The sad true part is a big percentage failed cop school and being a CO takes less education and then you can carry a gun.

When they show up at a public meeting wearing a flac jacket and sidearm, then try to convince you that they are your friend, you have to wonder if all their dogs are barking.

I have yet to meet one that could track a muddy dog across a clean floor.

I have two close friends that quit the CO service because of all the BS that goes on internally............Go get your quotas men, the province needs the revenue.

KB90
10-19-2011, 09:28 PM
The sad true part is a big percentage failed cop school and being a CO takes less education and then you can a gun .
Not sure where you got your information, but You are wrong. The educational requirements are the same for both, a highschool diploma. Although preference is given to those who have post secondary education. Preferred education is defined as a University degree or technical diploma from a recognized post-secondary program, in natural resources law enforcement or renewable resources management (e.g. fisheries, wildlife, forestry, environmental sciences). Applicants with a degree require a minimum of 6 months preferred work experience while those with a diploma require a minimum of 12 months preferred work experience.

mrak
10-19-2011, 09:36 PM
i have good and bad over the years but in the last 10 i have found out you can not change stupid and as far as a first nations C. O. REALLY i have fun with them as i am allways legal so no ass kissing here....

gcreek
10-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Not sure where you got your information, but You are wrong. You don't need any education other than a highschool diploma to be an RCMP officer. But to be a conservation officer you need a University degree or technical diploma from a recognized post-secondary program, in natural resources law enforcement or renewable resources management (e.g. fisheries, wildlife, forestry, environmental sciences). Applicants with a degree require a minimum of 6 months preferred work experience while those with a diploma require a minimum of 12 months preferred work experience.

I know of two who didn't even finish high school. Maybe this is a new requirement. Are you a CO?

cumminsforever
10-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Oh I know there's laws n all that crap.

180grainer
10-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Most of the CO's I've known have been pretty decent people.

Barracuda
10-19-2011, 10:08 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/enfhome/coco-br.html

KB90
10-19-2011, 10:09 PM
I know of two who didn't even finish high school. Maybe this is a new requirement. Are you a CO?

I'm unsure when the educational requirements came in or changed. And no sir, I just know As my brother had been going through the process as he wanted to be a CO, a quick google search provided me with that paragraph I posted. Also note "barracuda" post apparently a high school diploma is all that's required (same as RCMP) with preference going to someone with post secondary education. I don't imagine too many people get in with just a high school diploma though? Especially with today's emphasis on the importance of education.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Oh I know there's laws n all that crap.

well good.

what ever you do, don't start reading george orwell.

Lillypuff
10-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Never had a problem. My father shot a doe many years ago by mistake and reported it the co and he just followed him back up too the location and they gutted it and dragged it back too the truck. Dad just had to cut his tag and was warned too be more careful.

The Dude
10-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Not sure where you got your information, but You are wrong. You don't need any education other than a highschool diploma to be an RCMP officer. But to be a conservation officer you need a University degree or technical diploma from a recognized post-secondary program, in natural resources law enforcement or renewable resources management (e.g. fisheries, wildlife, forestry, environmental sciences). Applicants with a degree require a minimum of 6 months preferred work experience while those with a diploma require a minimum of 12 months preferred work experience.

No, you don't, but it helps.

cloverphil
10-19-2011, 10:18 PM
I've only ever been asked for my license and to show my rifle is not loaded in front seat

KB90
10-19-2011, 10:19 PM
No, you don't, but it helps.

yup my mistake, I missed the preferred part, but I can't imagine too many people getting in with just a highschool diploma anymore?? Correct me if I'm wrong though. my brother had applied with a technical diploma from BCIT and didn't make the cut when he had applied.

gcreek
10-20-2011, 05:32 AM
yup my mistake, I missed the preferred part, but I can't imagine too many people getting in with just a highschool diploma anymore?? Correct me if I'm wrong though. my brother had applied with a technical diploma from BCIT and didn't make the cut when he had applied.

He likely had a brain of his own and too much common sense to become one.
After 30 years of dealing with the game branch on predator issues I have no faith in their ability to manage anything. The couple of times I have been stopped in routine checks I will have to say that the CO was polite, even though there was nothing to check.

I worked for a couple different outfitters from '87 to'93 and have spent my life in the bush, I much prefer beef and lamb over any wild game. 30 year count is 4 moose, 2 deer and a cariboo.

I have lost count of cow killers though.

Walking Buffalo
10-20-2011, 09:30 AM
WB is incorrect in his understanding of the rights and abilities of a canadian citizen concering thier interaction with LEO searches seizures etc..

it is kinda orwellian but better then many other places.

If Canadians had spent more time looking at the laws and rights instead of trying to make sure they didnt become americanized then perhaps they would have the same inalienable rights as a US citizen does in the US

Fill your boots....

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/charter_digest/s-8.html

http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?text=%22wildlife+act%22+%22reasonable +search%22+&language=en&searchTitle=British+Columbia&path=/en/bc/bcca/doc/1991/1991canlii3958/1991canlii3958.html

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/rsc-1985-c-c-46/latest/rsc-1985-c-c-46.html#sec495

People should have clued in once FD claimed that CO's have warrantless search authority greater than Police Officers. :roll:

LYKTOHUNT
10-20-2011, 09:46 AM

As usual all you think about all day is hookers

mrak
10-20-2011, 10:21 AM
most of the tests are focused on the comman sense or thinking outside the box so to speak... if you have very little you are high on the list as you have one track to follow what you have been told right or wrong or mixedup this does not matter you are the law and you must be right

ultramafic
10-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Fill your boots....

http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?text=%22wildlife+act%22+%22reasonable +search%22+&language=en&searchTitle=British+Columbia&path=/en/bc/bcca/doc/1991/1991canlii3958/1991canlii3958.html

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/rsc-1985-c-c-46/latest/rsc-1985-c-c-46.html#sec495

People should have clued in once FD claimed that CO's have warrantless search authority greater than Police Officers. :roll:

Yes the search must be with "reasonable" grounds but unfortunately we the potential subject of the search are not the judge of what is reasonable at the time. I can say for certain that I would not enjoy having to travel back to some far distant land ( at my cost ) to go to court to contest a violation resulting from a search that located me doing something wrong... I personally just keep things on the level and legal at all times and have a nice chat when we get stopped and checked. Seems much more enjoyable that way for me.

On a side note I seem to be stopped about once a year in the game checks, out in the bush or pulled over on our way home. Always been a pleasant experience and even got some key chains and fridge magnets one year, thought that was pretty cool and so did the kids.

mike

IronNoggin
10-20-2011, 11:24 AM
... I have yet to meet one that could track a muddy dog across a clean floor.

LOL! Then you obviously haven't met many! Went through school with a bunch that went on to become CO's, some Fed, some Undercover, and some Front Line Troops. Actually did a little stint with Alberta F&W myself for a spell (and National Parks). Many of those Fine Folks were amongst the DEADLIEST Hunters and Trackers I've ever met, and btw, I have met a LOT over the course of a 40 year hunting career!

Methinks many a self acclaimed Pro could learn a thing or two from them!

Just Sayin' http://bestsmileys.com/wink/3.gif
Nog

Barracuda
10-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Fill your boots....

do you understandwhat you have posted? Every correction to a search that is unwarrented is after the fact and you really dont have the right to stop the officer from what they feel are thier lawfull duties.

keep digging

Trapper D
10-20-2011, 12:09 PM
how many times have you tried to contact them? its almost an act of futility, their local contact numbers are a joke, why waste money listing these numbers in the phone book , they never answer them

dingdongdenny
10-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Never had a problem with them, they gave me a break this year on an improper cut tag my screw up. Shot an elk cut my tag, region date and so on and wow guess what i missed the spot where it says antlered or antlerless!!! So i get to the landing with my boat hand over all my paperwork and he says i'm sorry but you missed a spot on your tag its a $105 fine but i will just give you a written warning!! They checked my gun and boat for proper gear thank god i had a whistle for my saftey on a river lets not go there. IMO if you are doing things legal there is nothing to worry about regardless of how they treat you, you can always ask for there name and information they really like that!!!. I screwed up with the tag, if he charged me fair enough. KNOW THE REGS INSIDE OUT!!
you were lucky as i had done the same thing but got the fine and my nice three pointer confiscated

gcreek
10-20-2011, 09:16 PM
LOL! Then you obviously haven't met many! Went through school with a bunch that went on to become CO's, some Fed, some Undercover, and some Front Line Troops. Actually did a little stint with Alberta F&W myself for a spell (and National Parks). Many of those Fine Folks were amongst the DEADLIEST Hunters and Trackers I've ever met, and btw, I have met a LOT over the course of a 40 year hunting career!

Methinks many a self acclaimed Pro could learn a thing or two from them!

Just Sayin' http://bestsmileys.com/wink/3.gif
Nog

Well Mr. Nog, since you've taken my first post and used it for a signature line I guess we can dispense with PC.

Where to start?

1970's, A well "respected" CO who was supposed to be the predator specialist and was good a setting coyote getters had the same explanation for bear killed cattle with everyone he dealt with. The cow died from eating poisonous mushrooms and the bear just took over.
I guess you were supposed to believe that the extensive bruising under the hide was from the mushroom popping out of the ground and beating the cow to death. 90% of the calls made to this distinguished POS went unaswered.

1987. A neighbor wounded a grizzly that had killed one of his calves and then called in the CO's to help finish the job. 3 showed up. I witnessed the current "predator specialist" drop the same shell three time trying to load his gun. The 3 stooges then walked about 15 minutes off from where the carcass was laying, (50 yds from the road) turned back and said the bear must be dead because the calf was not cleaned up. They then left.
Another neighbor was called in with a hound and between the 2 ranchers , the bear was dispatched. The 3 stooges then returned in a helicopter, landed in a field of freshly raked hay and demanded to know where the bear was. Our neighbor replied that it must be dead because that was what they told him.

1989-94. We were fortunate to have a CO that knew he wasn't a good outdoorsman and would tell people that if they could not handle their own problems he would do the best he could to help. While he was stationed in Bella Coola he had to shoot 7 problem gizzlies one year. At least 2 of these bears would have made the local outfitter's clients a good trophy. When head office in WL was contacted the CO was instructed to shoot the bears, haul them partway up the hill and dump them over the bank. Nice way to dispose of $20,000 in taxable income huh?

Present, the COS has now taken back the responsibility for predator mitigation. I know them names of those responsible but there is no need to embarass them more than they are doing for themselves.

Bear in local dump that learned to dig under the electric fence. Was not a problem until the local Indian Band started raising a fuss. Bear trap was set for 10 days with NO BAIT. Funny, I guess the bear didn't recognize Motel 6.
One of the natives shot the bear, the COS had a meeting with cheif and councel and local RCMP and were basically run out of town.

Fox Mountain, WL. A cougar killed a lady's sheep. CO came and set traps. Cougar was caught but escaped because the "expert" FORGOT TO STAKE THE TRAPS DOWN! After a day of searching, with the aid of a second rate hound, the CO returned to the lady's house and told her the cougar was not a threat to her because of the trap it was now wearing.
This cougar has never been found. Talk about ethical huh?

Miocene area, Coyotes killed sheep. CO set traps and never caught anything. Advised owners that coyotes had left the area. Sheep were turned to pasture again and coyotes had another meal. CO told owners that these were new coyotes. Give me a break.

Local area again. Rancher had cattle killed by grizzly. CO set foot-snare (too light of gauge" caught bear, bear broke wire and escaped. This is now "the smartest bear they have ever dealt with" and they are still trying to catch it after 2 months.

Owikeeno area, native berry picker mauled by grizzly, several Co's attended. This area is water on one side and basically a steep cliff on the other and Co's were unable to locate the bear in the week they were there. With a helicopter too!

Lillooet, Native lady killed by black bear. Why did the CO's have to shoot 4 bears to get the one they have went public as responsible for the deed. There again, several days had lapsed and who's to say another bear had moved in?

My one typing figure is tire for now but I can write another chapter tommorow if you like.

Professionals? There may be couple. The rest, maybe at writing tickets or possibly they are in the eyes of some that are star-struck by the shining badge.

Oh, I don't think I have ever thought of myself as a Pro at anything, someday maybe if I keep working at it.:wink::-D

TPK
10-21-2011, 10:19 AM
As usual all you think about all day is hookers

Not ALL day ! hey .. at least I don't hide womens underwear in your hunting partners sleeping bag!

goatdancer
10-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Lillooet, Native lady killed by black bear. Why did the CO's have to shoot 4 bears to get the one they have went public as responsible for the deed. There again, several days had lapsed and who's to say another bear had moved in?

Oh, I don't think I have ever thought of myself as a Pro at anything, someday maybe if I keep working at it.:wink::-D

What would you have them do? Catch all the bears in the area and question them to see which one would admit to the killing?

Sitkaspruce
10-21-2011, 01:39 PM
The sad true part is a big percentage failed cop school and being a CO takes less education and then you can carry a gun.

When they show up at a public meeting wearing a flac jacket and sidearm, then try to convince you that they are your friend, you have to wonder if all their dogs are barking.

I have yet to meet one that could track a muddy dog across a clean floor.

I have two close friends that quit the CO service because of all the BS that goes on internally............Go get your quotas men, the province needs the revenue.

Now that is one of the funniest set of statements I have read in a long time....go back to your good old days gcreek and reminisce about the past....and oh yea, enjoy your lamb and beef.

how many times have you tried to contact them? its almost an act of futility, their local contact numbers are a joke, why waste money listing these numbers in the phone book , they never answer them

Since most office do not have anybody but the CO's in them, they do not have time to answer phone messages. We can thank the GOV who gut the MOE for that.

If you need to get a hold of them, call the RAPP line and ask for one of them to call you back, but you better have a good reason for the call, they are one of the most overworked and underpaid people I know. They do not have time for chit-chat.

The RAPP line is now the best way to talk to them.

Cheers

SS

BCHunterTV
10-21-2011, 10:32 PM
just read this on another site i frequent...just posted

Conservation gave me a ticket...
A conservation officer showed up at my doorstep today and gave me a $112 ticket for "disturbing the peace' he got from a camper camping in the woods.

I casually drove threw Jame Lake campground around 1am looking for a buddy that had got lost while wheeling. I wasnt being recless, noisy etc. Stock truck... stock exhaust... The camper complained that my bush lights where too bright and that we were "very noisy"

Bullshit, the CO said there is nothing he can do about it except said that I can take it to court if I feel thats neccesary. Since when is driving in the bush a ****ing crime.

rollingrock
10-21-2011, 11:30 PM

I seriously think if u do so, u should be apprehended under section 28 of BC mental health act. LOL u definitely r suicidal.