PDA

View Full Version : 7-5 moose

bushpig slayer
10-17-2011, 09:29 AM
hey just got back from the worst moose season of my life.saw nothing and i mean nothing i talked to a bunch of hunters up there all the same nothing,this one fellow was ranting about the cn rail killing up to 1000 moose last year due to the snow pack was so high.numbers not jiving with me but i can see a point there,does any one have an idea why it is so poor up there,i saw 2 new prints in 7 days of being up there.just curious anyway but i will not be back.more for my own info,thanks

markt308
10-17-2011, 09:41 AM
where were you hunting

Hemi
10-17-2011, 10:21 AM
I saw some big bulls there last week was seeing a big bugger daily until a hunting camp went up. And I can believe the cn rail thing I work for cn and am on the tracks alot and see lots of bones.. Not just moose ethier..

Jagermeister
10-17-2011, 10:37 AM
The rail line between Quesnel and PG sees a high moose mortality rate in the winter also. Most of it from Hush Lake to north of Hixon.
The train guys do not like to hit them, but moose can be stubborn when it comes to "getting off the beaten path".
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e4_1198906065

Ride
10-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Ran into that fellow did you? Have talked to him a few times, he seems like a pretty good fella and has been in that area for a long time. It has seemed quieter than normal in there this year, but persistence pays off in there.

bushpig slayer
10-17-2011, 11:01 AM
tumuch area and farther worst i have ever seen,it was like the forest was dead of animals,i called ,i hiked,i drove,and glassed.it's not like i didn't try but alot of the pg folks said it was real bad up that area.well i guess the guy ranting about the train wasn't bs'n.

jml11
10-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Well first off there are no railines in 7-5...the CN rail line is on the north side of the Fraser, so the moose in the 7-5 are not impacted by it at all...

There are no doubts that the rail lines claim a lot of moose but 1000?? Maybe in the entire province. Anecdotal information I have heard is it is 50 to a couple hundred in the entire PG area on a bad year. Not sure how the guy even knows...CN is required to report kills (like anyone else on the roads) but I imagine most do not get reported (like most on the road). CN rail ines cover a fraction of a percent of the landscape and have been around for longer than all of us and moose have persisted....they hardly get them all!!

7-5 in particualr around tumuch is very dense with a lot of mature forest...lots of cover and feed for moose to hide and not come out...also lots of variables making moose hunting a bit tougher this year including, but not limited to, weather and wolves.

ianwuzhere
10-17-2011, 06:21 PM
ive also heard very high numbers of rail kills from cn employees ive spoke with..
watched the vid of the moose that didnt maker--shoulda tooted the horn-may have helped?
its too bad they couldnt create something on front of the train which would help... gotta be something they could do..
crappy to hear bout yer success-tuff year in lotsa places for lotsa people. just gotta get out and hiter harder and longer to be successfull..

yzchamp
10-17-2011, 06:44 PM
we had a 2 group draws in 7-3 we got 2 bulls , and over 10 days it was only 2 moose wee seen... talking to locals whey were blaming it on wolf population... didnt see any wolf..

shelg
10-17-2011, 07:22 PM
I can feel your pain. I was in 7-7 for last week and we only saw 2 moose and one is now in my freezer. It was sure slim this year.