PDA

View Full Version : i need some advice please!

tanker
10-16-2011, 11:19 PM
im a rookie this is my first season, and im using a 25-06 my friend was shooting 120 grain bullets through it and it was copper fouling really bad! i spent 5 hours cleaning after going through 1/2 a box. so we order'd PREMIUM V-SHOK in 85 grain to se how that shoots it will be hot, but will it hit hard enough and do its job for a deer that i hope on finding this year.

thank you much appreciated

tanker

scottwh
10-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Those 85 grain v-shocks will take a deer no problem. Shot placement is everything though. Im shooting 120NP's out of my 257wby (which is 25 cal as well) and have no problem with copper fouling. Give them a try if you can find some! I myself like a little heavier bullet, but thats just personal preferance.

gibblewabble
10-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Wipe out to clean your barrel works like a charm and once the barrel is clean it shouldnt foul so quickly.

tanker
10-17-2011, 07:55 AM
thanks a lot guys

tash
10-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Another vote for Wipe Out.

Jonas111
10-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Third Vote for wipe out.

I only use Barnes in all my guns and I don't have any issues after using wipe out.

Jagermeister
10-17-2011, 09:29 AM
After the Wipeout, use Blue Wonder, or just skip the Wipeout and use Blue Wonder.

Experience speaks here. I have used Birchwood Casey, Butch's Bore Cleaner and Wipeout. Blue Wonder is a superior product and cleans up after the others.

One other product that I have heard good things about, is Prolix. I believe that our Olympic Shooting Team uses it exclusively. The product is Prolix, here's the link http://www.prolixlubricant.com/

I too have a 25.06 that had some good copper fouling. I thought that I had it clean until I ran some Blue Wonder through it. I was amazed at how much green was still present after the cleaning using two of the other products.

Also, if you have those little superficial rust marks that can happen while the firearm is in a humid safe, use Blue Wonder to remove them too. If the rust is deep, nothing will help aside from scouring it with an abrasive.

Back to the pill for the 25.06. I use nothing but 120 gr bullets. I think the lighter ones are more prone to rapid surface expansion resulting in shorter penetration. 85 grain bullets are probably better for 'yotes but if you think you're going to skin it out, quite likely the exit hole will be enormous. Also, the 85 grain bullet will be travelling faster down the bore creating more heat that will liberate more copper to foul the bore.

Besides deer, I have dumped a large bull moose with one shot at approximately 200 yards using the 120 grain bullet and I would not hesitate on an elk if that is what I was packing for the day.

I liked Speer, Nosler and Hornaday, but was not keen the the Sierra offering although it is highly accurate bullet. It seems to expand too early for my liking. Never used Barnes, quite likely not going to.

And that's my 2¢ worth!

Fishgutz
10-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Wipe out all the way!

boxhitch
10-17-2011, 11:17 AM
V-shock are designed for varmints, rapid expansion
Vital-shock are for game

1/2 slam
10-17-2011, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=Jagermeister;997885]

Back to the pill for the 25.06. I use nothing but 120 gr bullets. I think the lighter ones are more prone to rapid surface expansion resulting in shorter penetration. 85 grain bullets are probably better for 'yotes but if you think you're going to skin it out, quite likely the exit hole will be enormous. Also, the 85 grain bullet will be travelling faster down the bore creating more heat that will liberate more copper to foul the bore.

Besides deer, I have dumped a large bull moose with one shot at approximately 200 yards using the 120 grain bullet and I would not hesitate on an elk if that is what I was packing for the day.

I liked Speer, Nosler and Hornaday, but was not keen the the Sierra offering although it is highly accurate bullet. It seems to expand too early for my liking. Never used Barnes, quite likely not going to.

[QUOTE]

That has been my experiance as well. I shot a n old Ruger M77RS for years. 1/2 inch groups using Speer 120 gr. Poisin on a lot of deer and 2 Moose

tanker
10-17-2011, 06:28 PM
thanks guys, we found out it was a varmit bullet after i bought it my buddy and his dad and me didnt see the lil gopher or whatever it is on the box all we wanted is somthin for me to get my frist deer and somthin i dont have to spend a day cleening i like the gun the 120s are nice give me a rookie some confidence but its been killed because my buddy was sayin it will go through bone but there will be nothin left after so i am nervous for when i go nextime and hopfully see a deer after sighting it in with these bullets and doing a little bit of penatraition tests with stumps

thanks to all this has helped alot!

tanker
10-17-2011, 07:14 PM
k so i just go to my buddys houce and they arnt v shocks they dont have v shocks so they ordered winchester balistic silvertip in 85 grain soo hopfully these wil be good!

TimberPig
10-19-2011, 04:49 PM
k so i just go to my buddys houce and they arnt v shocks they dont have v shocks so they ordered winchester balistic silvertip in 85 grain soo hopfully these wil be good!

They're not intended as a deer bullet, they're meant for coyotes.

In a .25 calibre, a few premium 85 gr bullets are meant for deer, while the rest are varmint bullets. 100-120 bullets in a .25 calibre are intended for deer or larger game.

Shooting a lighter bullet will not reduce your fouling issues, that is a case of how rough your bore is, the bullets you are using and how you are cleaning your bore.

I'd suggest shooting a 120gr bullet and cleaning your bore as required so you don't have to worry about bullets blowing up on deer ribs.

swampthing
10-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Another vote for wipe out. I had a 257 weebee that was a 1.5" shooter. I could never get the copper out of it. I took it to a smith to clean the barrel. He claimed to have it clean but a patch with barnes solvent came out blue after I got it back. I found wipeout at a kamloops gun show. I let it soak overnight and it came clean. My first group was .3" after that cleaning. I called it the awakening. 85 grainer will smoke deer but the 100 gr is what really makes a 25 shine. It surpasses the 100grainers at long range. Enjoy yours