PDA

View Full Version : My 2011 Region 3 meat buck

coach
10-16-2011, 10:51 PM
I headed out through Region 8 and into 3 early today, in search of Jimmy the Immy. After covering ground in the morning and spotting several does, my hunting partner and I decided to give the moose a rest and explore some ridges mid-day in search of a mule buck. We parked the truck and headed separate ways with the plan that I would eventually work my way down onto a lower road where he would pick me up.

Not long after parting ways, I glassed a lone deer walking over a ridge about about a kilometer away. At that distance, and with only a brief glimpse, I couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe. I glassed the spot a little longer, and couldn't locate him again. With the wind quartering from my left, I decided to veer right, hug the treeline and hopefully move around the deer in order to make a stalk into the wind. I slowly made my way along, glassing other spots as I went. Along the way, I almost stepped on three fat blue grouse. For a few seconds, I questioned whether I should have left the Tikka .300wsm in the truck and opted for the 16 gauge instead.

Eventually, I got into position downwind from where I thought the deer might be. At that point, I headed up a thin line of trees and worked my way toward where I had last seen him. Several times, I thought of turning around as I didn't know whether this was a buck or not or if he would still be anywhere nearby. As I made my way further up the hill, I caught a glimpse of a small buck feeding very near where I had seen the first deer. Not sure whether I would shoot him, I decided to continue the stalk anyway. After a quick glance at the surrounding terrain, I decided to cut to my right and use a small hill to shield me from the buck's view. A couple hundred yards later, I was fairly certain I could move to the top of hill and have a clear view of the deer.

The plan worked perfectly. At the top of the hill was a stump that I moved behind. Immediately, I spotted a healthy 2 point bedded and looking in my direction. With my hunting time more limited this year, I decided it would be worth taking him. I lay prone and tried to use my pack for a rest. Unfortunately, the grass was too long and I couldn't see the deer. I slowly moved over to the stump and rest my rifle on it. I lined the buck up in the scope and was planning to wait for him to stand. The rest was so steady and I am confident enough in my shooting that I decided to take a face on neck shot. I let out a deep breath and slowly squeezed the trigger. The Tikka barked and the the deer slumped over. He died instantly in his bed.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_0970.jpg

As soon as I shot, a second buck (the small one I had originally spotted) stood up. For a second, I had to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I had completely missed this guy as I focused in on the two point. It's a good lesson for all of us mule deer hunters as it's always possible a bigger buck could be bedded near the obvious one. The little guy didn't seem too concerned about me and stood with his fallen brother long enough for me to take his picture and make a short video. As I walked up to my buck, he remained standing there until I was 50 yards away. As I tried to take a few more pictures, he decided enough was enough and bounded away.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_0968.jpg

After cleaning my deer and dragging him a few hundred yards to the nearest road, I realized my partner was probably waiting for me at the original meeting spot (the lower road). I left my pack with the deer and high tailed it the kilometer or so to where we had been supposed to meet. When I arrived, his truck was nowhere to be seen. Apparently, he figured something must have happened so he drove back up to where we started. In the end, he turned around a headed back down to find me. I had cleaned my hands in a puddle, but the blood on my face made it pretty obvious what had happened. We headed back up the hill and loaded the deer into the truck.

All in all, it was a great day to be out. My hunting partner managed to shoot some nice blue grouse and I got my second buck in as many weeks. Now that I'm done in R3 and R8 for mulies, I'll be turning more attention to moose and then whitetails.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_0981.jpg

islander7mm
10-16-2011, 11:05 PM
That's a great looking 2pt. Worth taking for sure.

beni
10-16-2011, 11:09 PM
That's a super 2point. I'd drop him if I saw him :)

and the middle grouse is a damn nice old breeding male!! I've taken one like him this year, hope to get more too! (oh and a buck)

landphil
10-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Looks like a good body size, and should be tasty. Congrats.

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2011, 05:35 AM
Looks good Coach! Nice colouration on that buck.

coach
10-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Thanks FD. You're right - he had an awesome cape on him. Of course, lighting for pics was pretty good too.

Weatherby Fan
10-17-2011, 07:04 AM
Looks like you guys had a great day,awesome 2 pt,thanks for sharing.
WF

coach
10-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Here's a picture of the 168 grain TSX I recovered from my deer. It will be interesting to see what it weighs..

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/TSX.jpg

frenchbar
10-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Good stuff Sean... your having a nice season !

coach
10-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Good stuff Sean... your having a nice season !

Thanks, Glen. Nice to have some quality meat in the freezer. Like I said in a different post - there will be other years to hunt for antlers. Hopefully I'll find a spike fork in the near future. I've delayed my goat hunt, but hope to get after a billy in November.

spear
10-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Great looking buck, nice work!!

moose2
10-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Way to go nice buck
Mike

sapper
10-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Nice work, Coach. He'll be good eating. Early enough in the season that he shouldn't have been too stinky.

Sonof000Buck
10-18-2011, 05:19 PM
That's a big deer where I came from.
Saw my first well-worthy taking bucks last weekend two SOLID two points 20" rise 15" spread.
Then again i'm from the island so ! >.<

shed-hunter1
10-19-2011, 12:49 AM
nice buck the two points seem to get bigger every year

SimilkameenSlayer
10-19-2011, 06:53 AM
excellent post with GREAT pictures. nice lookin buck.

Ruger4
10-19-2011, 07:21 AM
that first photo is a great field photo coach , nice clear picture , congrats

coach
10-19-2011, 08:29 AM
that first photo is a great field photo coach , nice clear picture , congrats

Thanks, guys. Dana and Proguide66 gave some great advice in the thread I started on taking quality pics. As I was alone at the time, I decided to try Dana's idea of taking a picture "as it lay" when I walked up to it. I liked the results. Apparently that was a useful discussion.:-D

Glassman
10-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Nice looking 2 point. A keeper for sure.

LeverActionJunkie
10-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Great story and pictures thanks for sharing and congratulations!

avadad
10-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Congratulations Coach. Nice pictures and a good story as well! Thanks for posting.

300H&H
10-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Great buck Sean...looks like I have some catching up to do.

coach
10-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Great buck Sean...looks like I have some catching up to do.

Better get on it, Rick. Kiana and I just had the first steaks off of him. They aren't gonna get any better tasting than they are right now. :-D

kennyj
10-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Nice buck and good story. Big 2 points are cool looking.
kenny