PDA

View Full Version : Help with an immy

Mishka
10-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Okay, here's the situation. I spotted an immy crossing a fsr and heading down a heavily wooded area that follows a creek. The creek parallels the fsr but cannot be seen from the road. There wasn't enough daylight for me to comfortably attempt a kill (and deal with it). I'm a newbie and on my own. My question is, do you think this moose would still be around that area or would he be long gone now? Do moose have large territories that they cover? Do they travel at night? Thanks for all your help guys and gals.

KB90
10-16-2011, 09:34 PM
I'd be there first thing, they don't go far!

boxhitch
10-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Its a 50/50 chance, unless you know a better place than where you just spotted one, I would be there.

tristanmac
10-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Be there at first light, what do you have to lose?

bigmuley
10-16-2011, 10:10 PM
same thing happened to me spotted a week before season opened and i went all weekend to the spot and surrounding areas where i saw him cow calling even trying to get the cow out by calf calling and no luck!

Mishka
10-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I'll head back there tomorrow morning. I'm not sure how I'll hunt the creek yet, but I'm studying google maps right now. Like tristanmac said, I've got nothing to lose.

*bcgold*
10-16-2011, 10:24 PM
I would hang in the area and in awhile I figure where the creek flows to

Caveman
10-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Moose, I find are territorial. If that immy was there today, he won't be far. Stake out the most logical areas close by and you'll get another chance I once came upon a buddies father in law who had just spooked one across the road in front of two others. No one pursued him so I made my plans to be there the next morning and behold he was mine. Stay close

Mishka
10-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Moose, I find are territorial. If that immy was there today, he won't be far. Stake out the most logical areas close by and you'll get another chance I once came upon a buddies father in law who had just spooked one across the road in front of two others. No one pursued him so I made my plans to be there the next morning and behold he was mine. Stay close

Was he in the bush or out in the open? The creek is bordered by dense woods, but on the other side is a clear cut and another fsr. I'm thinking of heading up this road and scan the clear cuts. Would this be logical?

Laurence_Erickson
10-16-2011, 11:27 PM
well if you don't wanna go mishka pm me the coordinates and I will go watch for you :)

Caveman
10-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Was he in the bush or out in the open? The creek is bordered by dense woods, but on the other side is a clear cut and another fsr. I'm thinking of heading up this road and scan the clear cuts. Would this be logical?

He was spooked from a swamp that parallels the road, crossed the road, which comes from through a slash, and was in the slash the next morning 100 yds off the road, 250 yds, from where he crossed the day before.

MB_Boy
10-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Get in there and call........immy's will come to a cow call.

Mishka
10-17-2011, 09:42 PM
So, I went back at first light this morning and no luck with the immy. I spent some time figuring out the area. The cut blocks adjacent to the creek where the moose went in were planted in 1995. The wooded area boarding the creek is so thick; I'm amazed at how he could silently slipped through that stuff. It's like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm going to head back tomorrow and try calling. - I just watched some youtube videos to get an idea of what to do.... I feel like I may be chasing my tail. Good thing I have this week off.

TIKA 300
10-17-2011, 10:40 PM
So, I went back at first light this morning and no luck with the immy. I spent some time figuring out the area. The cut blocks adjacent to the creek where the moose went in were planted in 1995. The wooded area boarding the creek is so thick; I'm amazed at how he could silently slipped through that stuff. It's like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm going to head back tomorrow and try calling. - I just watched some youtube videos to get an idea of what to do.... I feel like I may be chasing my tail. Good thing I have this week off.

Chase away,it just might come together for you.......good luck