PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Grizzers

GoatGuy
09-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Just a warning to all of you who hunt the High Country in Region 8.

Got stalked on the weekend by a panda. They've never been shy around there but this SOB wouldn't leave me alone. Sent the dog after it twice but it stood it's ground. Yelled and screamed at it but didn't phase it. At 35 yrds I fired a warning shot right in front of him- ran 10 feet and then stopped turned and started coming my way again. Third time I sent the dog after it the bear ran about 100 yrds before stopping and turning on the dog.

Old man heard the shot and buzzed me on the radio and I very briefly told him 'I have a bear problem.' (he thought I had dumped a big buck) He got up high and spotted the bear following me right away. He 'covered' me as I walked out with the bear following behind. Bear gave up or got bored after 3-400 yards.

Ran into a young sow as I was walking out who also wasn't shy (stood there at 50 yrds as I walked by. Sent the dog after it and it did run off but not far.

Not sure if there was a kill in there or what but that bear wouldn't leave me alone.

Just a warning to ya'll.

Before I get the 'why didn't you shoot it?' I almost did. I was definitely very ready. Other considerations though - I do a bit of work with conservation projects and really didn't want to have my name out there with something like this. I've been in shootouts before with grizz and didn't feel like going through it again - it isn't something I'd wish on anyone. Hindsight being 20/20 I probably should have, but didn't. Little bit different when you're in the moment.

I will be reporting this to the local CO etc.,

Be careful out there.

Marc
09-17-2006, 09:27 PM
What color where your underwear when you got home?:mrgreen: I'm terrified of Grizzly bears and I've never seen one. What calibre rifle where you carrying and what grain of bullet? Just trying to figure out what your pucker factor was at the time.

Marc.

beeker
09-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Holy! you and your grizzlies!... wow... your poor dog isn't gonna want to go hunting with you anymore.:lol:

todbartell
09-17-2006, 09:36 PM
good thing you dotn use nosler partitions! :lol: grizz! :shock:

GoatGuy
09-17-2006, 10:06 PM
I had my .338. 225 grns - no partitions, wouldn't want to wound him with one of those and have him come after me. I wanna stay alive for a couple more years.:lol::lol::lol:

Got the heart pumping. More pissed off - getting sick of these confrontations with pandas.

I don't think the dog was too thrilled.... she kinda looked at me like not again. Especially when the bear stood his ground the first time. She got 10-15 yrds from him barking and he just stood there.

Once things got close she got fired up though.

Jagermeister
09-17-2006, 10:13 PM
You running around in the Greystokes area? I remember a few years ago that there was one in the Naramata area. Funny, you'd never think of that kind of encounter 40 years ago unless you were in the Greystokes.

Gateholio
09-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Impossible. There are almost no grizzlies left int he world. They are virtualy extinct.

Of the handful remaining in BC, a of them are cute and fuzzy, and woud never harm a human.

Glad it worked out okay. Play safe.8-)

Fisher-Dude
09-18-2006, 05:51 AM
How fast can you run in cowboy boots when that grizz is chasin' you Goat Guy? :lol:

I saw one on the Oyama Lk road, chasing a domestic cow. The grizz ran in the bush, the cow stood there for a second, then ran right into the bush behind the grizz, stupid bugger! No wonder I don't eat beef, who wants the proteins of the stupidest animal on earth in their body???

A couple of friends have had run-ins in the Greystokes/Big White area, and I've seen lots of sign up there while sledding late in the season. We are about due for a grizzly mauling here in the Okanagan to spark up the debate about how cute and cuddly they really are.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-18-2006, 07:29 AM
G/G
One-shot said two guys you know were in there during the week and ran into 5 and 7 grzzers each:eek: ! No wonder I was worried about not having proper backup when I wanted to hit that area with a bow.
Time to thin them out up there....................:-( . Hope you had your video out to show Brian. Maybe they'll eventually hand out an LEH or 5.

SSS

Joe89
09-18-2006, 09:50 AM
That makes me a little nervous, where abouts were you in Region 8 ? I do alot of hunting and hiking in Penticton-Beaverdale area. Saw a big blackie on Sunday.

Ozone
09-18-2006, 09:57 AM
Oh my. I would have crapped my pants over that. Glad your thinking with a cooler head as I think most would have shot it and left it. Another good reason to live on the island.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-18-2006, 10:03 AM
I've been doing some thinking..... Try to make a camera mount to strap to your poor dog. Talk about some exciting footage8) !!

Could be pretty lucrative. Just think about it...............

SSS

Gunner
09-18-2006, 10:08 AM
I know how you feel Goat Guy!I don't hunt alone anymore,in the Hunter's Range -Mara Mountain area.I've seen too many of them,and have been followed a couple of times.The cornfield above my house has a 3yr. old griz in it now,and he's been hanging around most of the summer.Definitley a population increase in the Enderby-Mabel Lake area!:frown: Gunner

Mr. Dean
09-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Before I get the 'why didn't you shoot it?' I almost did. I was definitely very ready... I've been in shootouts before with grizz and didn't feel like going through it again - it isn't something I'd wish on anyone.

Are you talking about the hula-hoops and red tape thats involved with the CO's?
If so, could you please shed a little more light on the subject? I'm curious/eager to learn more about whats behind those 'closed doors'

...Hindsight being 20/20 I probably should have, but didn't. Little bit different when you're in the moment.

I've heard from a few that you'll know when things arent right and when your life is in danger.......But can't help myself from thinking about what was going through victoms/hunters heads at the moment before things turned for the worse, durring a stand-off such as yours. Did they feel safe?

I've had my own exp. with a Blacky, on a Deer kill of mine and know how I felt about that. It came down to a question of how much longer he wanted to stay and how many more steps that I felt comfortable with him taking. Basicly there was a timer on the clock and a line drawn in the sand. The three times he came back, I thank God (or whomever) that he elected to turn back, after some pursuation.

I admire your ability to hold off on the shot - That takes SAND, imo. Very glad to hear that it all worked out.

How about a pic of the hound?
That is one FINE animal. :smile:

GoatGuy
09-18-2006, 12:30 PM
I was hunting in the Alpine - east side of region 8. We've always seen grizz in the high country just never had any altercations.

Camera for the dog would be a good idea - course it'd have to come with a GPS tracker, waterproof/bombproof case. Did video the bears but that was from a long ways away on the way out. For some reason running the video cam didn't really come to mind while I was firing a warning shot.....................:|:|

Gunner, I've heard about the bears in Hunter's Range (spent a day in your part of the country last week). Not fun I'm sure.

Mr.Dean, yes talking about red tape etc., I've done some work in conservation/gov projects and don't want to get myself into trouble. I've also had more than a couple close calls with bears and if I was to shoot one every year it would raise some eyebrows. As far as the law goes, if you feel 'threatened' or if you felt you were in danger than you're good to go. Course if the bullet hole's in the @ss you're in trouble. That's also why I always carry a black bear tag- then you can simply shoot it and avoid all the grief associated.

The mutt

http://www.hunt101.com/img/435256.jpg

Sieg-MM
09-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Goatguy: Opening day my group harvested two small four points in Region 8 Alpine. Do to circumstances, we only could get one out before night fall. The second stayed in the high country overnight. Lucky it went untouched and we got the buck out the next day. But the day following there was fresh grizz tracks in the area where the two bucks had been shot. Anyone hunting high country should be careful.

Elkhound
09-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Always great to return home safe.....way to hold your ground and not fire though....good nerves. Poor dog:lol:

Mr. Dean
09-18-2006, 02:26 PM
That's also why I always carry a black bear tag- then you can simply shoot it and avoid all the grief associated.
YUP! $21.20 = Cheap insurance premium.

Thanks for the pic!
That looks like one hell of a Bear Retriever
Best to ya both.

Will
09-18-2006, 04:01 PM
That's why I always pack some spare shorts.......:lol:
I'm serious :|
Glad it was a Happy Ending:)

dana
09-18-2006, 05:05 PM
I have a long time family friend that had a serious run in with a grizz up Trapping Creek not too many years ago. He ended up killing it at full charge. We had many close encounters that were pretty hair raising when I was growing up in the area. My brother even lost a small muley to a sow and cubs. Just because you are in the OK don't mean you should let your guard down. The entire province is grizz country and anytime you go into the highcountry you need to be on high alert.

30-06
09-18-2006, 05:29 PM
were about's were u hunting?? is alpine a place?

OGGIE
09-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up Goat Guy!

I'm thinkin' about mulies in the North Princeton, Tulameen area. I have seen plenty of blackies there, are there any Griz in that country?

Schmaus
09-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Yup, no sense coming hunting in region 7 either there's a grizz around every corner.http://bestsmileys.com/animals/3.gif

cowboy-up69
09-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up Goat Guy!

I'm thinkin' about mulies in the North Princeton, Tulameen area. I have seen plenty of blackies there, are there any Griz in that country?

There are a few up in behind Tulameen, I have seen grizz up in the Whipsaw area, not to sure but I have heard of grizz sightings wayyy up and behind Tulameen.

Walksalot
09-20-2006, 03:43 AM
My buddy had a , as he put it, rather large black bear come at him full tilt while we were hunting the other day. Had it broke 30 yds it would have been a rather unhealthy thing for that bear to do.

sealevel
09-20-2006, 04:49 AM
i lost a nice blacky to a grizz last year --rite in a corn field in grinrod we saw 3 while hunting the corn fields .

Stone Sheep Steve
09-20-2006, 06:19 AM
I've heard about grizzers in those corn fields. Just can't remember where:confused: .

SSS

CNE
09-20-2006, 10:17 AM
It seems to me that dogs may have something to do with attracting bears, not repelling them.

steepNdeep
09-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Jesse, I think you're a closet 'HUGGER! You should have at least shot a claw off him, again. ;) There are more and more up the Grandby and surrounding areas. Almost enough for an LEH!

K-1
09-20-2006, 01:54 PM
With 2400 LEH's ,all the sightings and encounters that aer happening , I would think it's almost time for an open season , there defiantly no shortage of them.

okanagan1949
09-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Gents,

I'm new to BC from N. Ont and before that NFLD and hunt with a .308 loaded w/165 grain bullets. I'm used to seeing black bears (but don't go looking for them!). However, I'm hearing two stories on grizzlies with some guys saying "I've been hunting for X years and have never seen one, don't worry about it." Others tell me "they're everywhere, make sure you have 180s always (and by the way you should have a .300)".

I'm also used to taking my 10 year old boy with me in the woods (mostly for grouse, sometimes for deer starting last year in Ontario) is that too dangerous here?

What do you think?

Deaddog
09-20-2006, 11:25 PM
I grew up down in the okanagan and still hunt there, while bears are around I certainly would not let it stop you taking your boy out. Talk to some of the local boys as there are areas where the grizz are more predominant, and remember that blacks kill more people per year than grizz do anyhow, as far as your rifle it's how you shoot that counts more than what you shoot, good hunting, Deaddog

Schmaus
09-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Don't worry about going into the brush with your .308 you will be fine. Too many people see a black stump in the bush and think its a grizzly. I go into the bush around central BC every weekend ( I am only 50 or so kilometers away from the highest density of interior grizzlies in BC) and I have had barely any encounters with grizz bears. 9 times out of 10 they will run away anyways. Don't let anybody scare you out of the bush by talking about grizzlies they are barely even bigger than blackies (still quite a few hundred pounds less than a moose, which your .308 should have no problems with). Anyway you should worry more about how to get your moose out than how to deal with a grizzly bear.

4pointer
09-21-2006, 12:33 AM
Going up to the bush with your .308 is plenty power for any beast here in BC. The southern portion does have quite a few bears, but as posted earlier, 9 out of 10, more like 99.99% of the time will run. Up in the northern portions of the province, I've seen several bears that could be a problem but keep your distance and always be on guard. Everytime I'm in the bush, no matter where I am, I always keep a guard and never rush into anything or situations that I doubt. I hunted with a .30 carbine for most of my younger years and never was I scared, just more alert.

Fisher-Dude
09-21-2006, 05:48 AM
Gents,

I'm new to BC from N. Ont and before that NFLD and hunt with a .308 loaded w/165 grain bullets. I'm used to seeing black bears (but don't go looking for them!). However, I'm hearing two stories on grizzlies with some guys saying "I've been hunting for X years and have never seen one, don't worry about it." Others tell me "they're everywhere, make sure you have 180s always (and by the way you should have a .300)".

I'm also used to taking my 10 year old boy with me in the woods (mostly for grouse, sometimes for deer starting last year in Ontario) is that too dangerous here?

What do you think?

I wouldn't worry too much about it around the Kelowna area except if you are hunting the alpine, and your 308 should do the job if you need it. If you want more peace of mind, why not buy a can of bear spray with a belt holster? At very close range, bear spray can be more effective than any gun as it is more maneuverable and the effect on the bear is instant. For about $80, it's good insurance. It's one of the top recommendations in Gary Shelton's books for bear protection.

Schmaus
09-21-2006, 09:42 AM
If you want more peace of mind, why not buy a can of bear spray with a belt holster?
For a quick hijack here, bear spray is junk when my dog was 6 months old she bit through a can of bear spray and took a solid shot in the face (her whole face was orange). When I came in the room she was just wagging her tail and happy, I had to leave the house but she was fine, if it can't stop a 50 pound shar-pei I don't know how it will stop an unhappy bear.

KMH
09-21-2006, 10:36 AM
was this grizzer up "coral road"?
I saw a huge bruin there just draggin his feet, he was about 120 yards away, not paying any attention to us at all... but damn i have a lot more respect for these animals now...:lol:

okanagan1949
09-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks Guys, appreciate the advice.

Iron-Head
09-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Funny that I should read this, On my way out of OK Falls I was looking into this farmers field, and not even 50 Yrds off the road there was a Grizzly moving through the field. He was a fairly big one, mabey 6 1/2'-7'.
Interesting stuff, I have only ever seen one other one and that was in grizzly creek off of the tuzo, Again in OK Falls.
Glad to hear your OK! Happy hunting, Symon.

Iron-Head
09-21-2006, 09:07 PM
For a quick hijack here, bear spray is junk when my dog was 6 months old she bit through a can of bear spray and took a solid shot in the face (her whole face was orange). When I came in the room she was just wagging her tail and happy, I had to leave the house but she was fine, if it can't stop a 50 pound shar-pei I don't know how it will stop an unhappy bear. I have to agree with this, My friend was hiking outside of Nelson, and she had Bear spray, She ran into am amgry sow with 2 cubs and when she shot the spray at it- it simply shook its head and made a sneezing noise, Then continued to pursue her. Finally it left after she yelled and got on top of a fallen tree. Your right, If it cant stop a Pooch, theres no chance it will stop a grizz, There Tuffer' then you think.
Symon

Fisher-Dude
09-21-2006, 09:41 PM
I have to agree with this, My friend was hiking outside of Nelson, and she had Bear spray, She ran into am amgry sow with 2 cubs and when she shot the spray at it- it simply shook its head and made a sneezing noise, Then continued to pursue her. Finally it left after she yelled and got on top of a fallen tree. Your right, If it cant stop a Pooch, theres no chance it will stop a grizz, There Tuffer' then you think.
Symon

You get what you pay for. Make sure you get the maximum percentage capsaicin. Some sprays are watered down junk! Buy the good stuff. And don't keep packin' expired spray around. I got mine through a foresty supply company. This is a heavy duty canister...your dog won't be chewin' through this one!

troutseeker
09-22-2006, 01:04 AM
Braver man than me! If a Griz was charging me I "might" have shot it for sure...

Troutseeker

GoatGuy
09-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Jesse, I think you're a closet 'HUGGER! You should have at least shot a claw off him, again. ;) There are more and more up the Grandby and surrounding areas. Almost enough for an LEH!
I prefer preservationist! Definitely lots of bears.

Can't remember what the bio said he needed but I think he figures there's <60 and he needs 80 for a season?????? Brain isn't working well right now.

Fisher-dude or SSS should be able to fill in the details I can't remember.

OK1949 I wouldn't be too worried, bear spray is a good suggestion if all else fails (Ie the bear is REALLY close and you don't have/can't use a firearm). Most hunters have never even seen a grizz in reg 8 nevermind had a close call.

Mr. Dean
09-22-2006, 10:05 AM
This thread got me thinking......(That's SCARY in itself)

Many condemned my actions w/ the Black Bear encounter of mine last year (not shooting it). Several went on to say it should have been put down upon it's second 'visit' - Never mind it's 3rd. The way I see it, I came out with not so much as a scratch......And the Bear lived.....So something MUST have gone right.

Soooo, yesterday, off I goes to the book store to find that book of Gary Shelton's, but no such luck. Instead, I came home with one titled Bear Attacks, by Stephen Herrero.

I'm just getting into chapter 7 which starts to deal with Black Bears. The first six were concerning Grizzly's.

So far it's been a FASCINATING read. The Author/Biologist is considered to be an 'expert' in his field, resides in Calgary and owns a hobby type farm in BC.

The Book mostly reflects upon his study's from the 60's - mid 80's with interviews from survivors from all over N. America, dealing with bear behaviors and what presumably causes an attack/encounter. He's a 'hands on' kind of guy and DOESN'T come across as some kind of granola/tree hugger type of person...(NOT that theres anything wrong with that....).

IMHO - I'll go on to say that this book should be a part of 'basic training', for anyone that ventures out into our forests. If nothing else but for the reasons of trying to understand what's going through your opponents head in the extremely rare event of having a 'very BAAAAD day'.

I just hope that the ending doesn't let me down......

$25.00 @ Chapters.

steepNdeep
09-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Herrero - The Author/Biologist is considered to be an 'expert' in his field, resides in Calgary and owns a hobby type farm in BC.

From what I've read, Herrero is more of a scholar with much less practical experience than Gary Shelton. The more information, the better, but I think it depends which perspective you prefer... Pepper spray... I'm sure many bears have thanked their meals for the seasoning... :smile:

Mr. Dean
09-22-2006, 07:05 PM
From what I've read, Herrero is more of a scholar with much less practical experience than Gary Shelton. The more information, the better, but I think it depends which perspective you prefer...

I wasn't able to find Shelton's book, therefore I can't compare.
I would like to read it as well...Anybody know where I can find it?
Chapters couldn't find ANYTHING by that author, data base included.

steepNdeep
09-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Just google it...
http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Attacks-James-Gary-Shelton/dp/0969809913

Ozone
09-22-2006, 09:22 PM
I wasn't able to find Shelton's book,

Look your local library. The Vancouver Island library system has 4 copyys of Bear Attacks byJames Gary Shelton.

Mr. Dean
09-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Bear Attacks byJames Gary Shelton.

Aaaaahhhh. I was looking for Gary Shelton......Not James

Thanks for the tips!

steepNdeep;
Hate the mail order......But looking at the link you put up.....I could have saved nearly half the $$$ buying the pair. :sad: