PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the kamloops bucks

Grousedaddy
10-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Ive walked ive rhinoed and ive drove in the truck been up at sunrise and sun set and have been out since opening day and havnt seen one friggin buck!!!! Hope the rest of u kamloops guys are having better luck

hunter5
10-16-2011, 07:21 PM
I havent had any luck neither. Hopefully the rut will bring them out of hiding.

lovemywinchester
10-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Got mine last Tuesday. A two pointer just off the side of the road hanging with some ladies. Thought twice as he wasn't that big but the easiest gut and load ever. Two down one to go.

huntwriter
10-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Seen lots of bucks, mule deer and whitetail deer, but the one I want to kill was not among them.

beni
10-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Saw nothing today, though I don't usually spend much time hunting big game around Kamloops..

The waterfowl are on the move though!!! :D

Gunner Staal
10-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Slow around kelowna as well. Bad weekend moon wise. I could have shot them at 100 yds at 3 am it was so bright. New moon on the 26th.

Grousedaddy
10-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Ya im hoping to see more on the weekend aswell lots of does just no bucks with them.....

4 point
10-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Lots of deer around. Be out early (key) watch the edges of cut blocks, walk just inside the treeline, glass & go slow. Sit and watch be patient. A couple of moonlite nights didn't help last week but their still there.

skibum
10-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Saw my first two bucks yesterday, one of them is hanging in the garage now

BigfishCanada
10-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Time to try new spots, this year I have seen tons of small bucks in multiple regions of region 3. Havent seen any big ones but thats ok

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/296631_10150333494961523_145712506522_8408571_9541 60182_n.jpg

walks with deer
10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
saw 40 bucks during the bow season

seems the area is so lush this year they can feed anywhere meaning they are holding up rut action should start next week i perdict some easy hunting.

yzchamp
10-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Seen 8 this morning...:)

Grousedaddy
10-25-2011, 04:57 PM
So where were these 8 lol and why is there not a pic of one in ur truck???

lovemywinchester
10-25-2011, 05:16 PM
I had a 4 x4 right beside the logging road today and saw a lot of does. They are starting to act stupid. Must be the hormones. This guy ran slowly away from me when I got out of my truck and I took a few pics of him. I could have popped him if I wasn't tagged out. I'm sure he won't make it through the next few days as he was in a busy area. A good looking buck.

skibum
10-25-2011, 05:38 PM
the area i was in yesterday, all the deer were pretty sketched out, even the does were off like lightening at the first human signs detected, must be pretty shot up. Saw about 8 does and a nice buck that ran 1/2 km across a cut block without stopping to get to his hiding spot. Not like this at the beginning of October. Ninja time

Jelvis
10-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Seen thirty on the old Hwy 5a in the ranch Willow ranch and three more further on, no roads in behind tho on the Crown.
Deer are here we got a buck on the 11th. Four by three mule.
Just up a half hour from Kammy on LacDubwha ha road.
Rut has started and we go til Nov 24th so it's now or never.
Greenstone's full of doe and where the doe is the buck iz 2. Now on.
Isobel area crawling with doe. Where's the bucks? lol.
JayMySon Crick is like mule deer central with the migration going on as well with rut
Roche as well, Westside road north BOOM! SHA LOCKA LOCKA BOOM!
Tranquille Valley/ Red Plateau for a mule deer gong show mules everywhere.
Jello .. Where's the Bah HUCKS? .. Hint .. Close by hiding in the shadows til darkness

Little Red Man
10-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Sigh...thought it was just me.....I also have been burning boot rubber....up early...and staying late......not a buck to be seen for me.....but TONS of does!.....I am not exactly in the Kammy part of region three, but close......ruts coming....hoping things will pick up!

Grousedaddy
10-25-2011, 08:38 PM
I was up jamieson last weekend and i seen more then 25 hunters up there and didnt even go past stuart lk rd that place is like friggin grand central i didnt even c a doe o well out i go this weekend to wear some more soles and hopefully catch one slippin

Jelvis
10-25-2011, 08:59 PM
The rut is on Jon. Believe it or not?
Kamloops is loaded with doe mule deer and fawns, I don't know why, I can't even guess as to why so many doe so low and with healthy twin fawns it's early fall.
Buckeroos also I seen a head and skin of a mule deer and they took all the deer accept the head with it's antlers cut off to keep. and the hide.
Someone got lucky in any buck October.
There have been some deer shot and already eating them as the daze goes on for Kamloops area deer hunters who know where they are going, to their sweet spot close to the Loopy town.
Got to be good to be lucky each season with a meat buck before mid Ocotober.
Good conservation right there.
Kamloops has the best of the best, B.C. Government Conservation People .......
From the top down in sustainability, conservation, enforcement, management, honesty and integrity. That is why we have a sustainable population of the mule deer.
The Breeding Bucks are among the herds now at night till light then recede back into the thick stuff as dawn approaches and leave the 150's to take some lead and copper
Lots of double droppers real whoppers

lovemywinchester
10-25-2011, 09:10 PM
I have only been living here for a few months but I have to agree with you Jelvinder. I am out a lot fishing and hunting and I everywhere I go there are does and fawns, everywhere. Red Lake, Tunkwa, Pritchard, Pass lake, Greenstone and anywhere else I have hiked this fall. This year every doe with fawns has had at least two with her and sometimes three. The bucks are cagey for sure though. I bump into them but they see me first and are gone! Long gone. I can`t wait till next September when I can hunt Reg. 3 bucks again.

4 point
10-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Bucks are there they always are if you know where to look and how to hunt them. Get off the roads, walk the blocks, old skid roads/trails in cover early morning and you'll see them. Once Nov. 1st hits and it's back to 4pts only, the snow comes the number of hunters drops off big time I find in many spots where it dicey to drive into. That with the rut going is a good time to find them a little easier for sure. My 2011 buck is tasting very good in pepperoni right now.

Brian011
10-26-2011, 09:05 AM
I've been seeing bucks almost every time I go out, mostly small bucks but I'm starting to see a couple bigger ones. I definitely saw more bigger buck by this time last year but I haven't been out as much this year. With all the does around everywhere, bucks will be running around in no time. Just have to keep on the lookout and get off the beaten path.

hms45in
10-26-2011, 10:14 AM
yep I have only seen does this year...I would really like to know whats going on!

Grousedaddy
10-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Ive been out since sept and havnt seen shit

bc7mm
10-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Shot a buck on the 18th, I was north of Kamloops for 5 days, lots of hunters, truck went by every hour or two all day long. We found the deer back from the road, i expect due to the pressure, even the does weren't out much after first light. Once we hiked back where the vehicles didn't go, there were deer.

swampthing
10-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Just got an e-mail from my Kamloops huntin partner. Said he saw 40 deer with a couple 4 points in 1.5 hr road hunt. He is a trophy hunter and lets most 4 points walk. Head west of town and hit the open country if you want to see deer. Stay out of the timber. I will be there in the nov long weekend and expect to see 100 deer. I will be in the timber though.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Haven't been out much and still ahve seen an OK amount of bucks. The (decent size) twin 3 points I saw last Saturday I practically had to throw rocks at to get them to move. One thing for sure though, is the buck to doe ratio does look whacky (typical around here) from the little bit that I've been able to see. If you glass herds of 50 deer eating alphalpha, you'll spot one ot two scrawny bucks amongst them. I understand that the rut will bring a few out of their hidey-holes, but one would expect small bucks to comprise a larger proportion of those big herds than they seem to. Right now I'd be surprised if we are running even a 10:1 doe:buck ratio in some areas (you can't count fawns in that ratio). That is a mixed blessing - the good is that poor ratios tend to create a better second rut as more does will go into second estrus; the bad is that bucks that have a decent herd of does all to themselves are less apt to go exploring for booty action, making them less huntable.

Having said all that, I wouldn't say that this is a new scenario around Kamloops. What I've seen this year is on par with what I see most years.

lovemywinchester
10-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Find these,
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/doe.jpg

and you should see these.
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/buck.jpg

or these,
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/pribuck.jpg

Grousedaddy
10-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Must b nice to go out and c that many deer in a short time i wonder where abouts that was ;)

johnny cabbage
10-26-2011, 04:45 PM
maybe you should get out of the city

lovemywinchester
10-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Must b nice to go out and c that many deer in a short time i wonder where abouts that was ;)

The bottom pic is on private land in a no shooting zone close to the Loops. My buddy saw almost 40 deer in this field one night a few weeks ago. Can't do much but look though.

Grousedaddy
10-26-2011, 07:26 PM
I havnt missed a weekend in the bush since sept 10 and countless weekends b4 that i get out of the city all the time

keithb7
10-26-2011, 07:46 PM
I counted 33 deer in that private field yesterday evening. About 10 of which were bucks. That was just what I could see. I'll bet there were more laying down. They were relaxing in the sun and eating like a group on vacation.

Jelvis
10-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Walk up a slope off a back road like JMySon or Westside, or Greenstone in the rock bluffs at 11 to 12 k on up the Cherry crick special on greenstone mt rd.
Walk down the rock bluffs til yah hit a narrow flat bench with an old building walkout to the main.
Greenstone up 11 to 12 K then drop over for a big dropper mule deer buck thick bases and mass with trash wide and high reaching for the sky.
Jelvaineeus .. I'm Surrey us :-D .. Greenstone for some huge bone .. :mrgreen: .. Cherry C.
Don't be scruffy and hit Duffy .. .. Hit it all but it's fall leaves ain't dropped yet .....
Walk the old old roads blocked off for ve hic u lars Bing Bang U Bangy Trophy Tinez
Dare's no udder kinds

shelg
10-26-2011, 08:00 PM
I saw 42 does and one spike buck in the field by Dairy Road last weekend.

Jelvis
10-26-2011, 08:12 PM
It's the main vein it's insane, what about Oconner nuttin wrong wit dat choice Joyce?
Dairy road is total mule deer herds up to the hundreds my hunting friends.
They come and go so where do they go? Above or below or stay right where they are all season behind private eyes and their watching you lol. For real I bet, I saw a guy with a telephoto lens taking pictures of the feeding deer.
Pass Lake for a big looey watching @ Watching Creek for the big Zeek.
It's every where around the Loops for mule deer so get out in those back roads early morning and if you go for a half a day and don't see a mule deer of some sort.
Pack up the Thuddy Thuddy.
Jel .. Try Wabbit .. elmer fudd

shelg
10-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Jelvis, your right. The deer are everywhere. They are all around us. No matter what direction you head from the deer are around.

showtimebc
10-26-2011, 08:44 PM
bucks will start moving more this week. get in the trash and you'll get them moving. had a day last week, saw close to 20 bucks. including several 4 points.

go slow, and keep your head up.

beni
10-26-2011, 10:16 PM
I counted 33 deer in that private field yesterday evening. About 10 of which were bucks. That was just what I could see. I'll bet there were more laying down. They were relaxing in the sun and eating like a group on vacation.

Is that off Westsyde road?

We call that Deer-Mart... :D

Haven't seen a single buck, about 15 days spent in the bush (not much time around Kamloops)

Bunch of Mulie Does.. Haven't spent much time looking for deer.. will be spending the whole day Sunday. Whites, Mules don't care, need meat in freezer. =D

keithb7
10-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Is that off Westsyde road?

We call that Deer-Mart... :D

Haven't seen a single buck, about 15 days spent in the bush (not much time around Kamloops)

Bunch of Mulie Does.. Haven't spent much time looking for deer.. will be spending the whole day Sunday. Whites, Mules don't care, need meat in freezer. =D

Ya, that's it. Deer Mart or Home Deerpot. It's finally cooling off this week here in the Loops. Hoping this weekend may be the start of some good sightings.

Brian011
10-27-2011, 07:09 AM
i counted around 35 deer in the field on westsyde rd the other day, everytime i go by there no matter what time of day i've seen a decent sized 3 point along with a few little bucks. Saw a 6x4 with a 4x4 in the headlights one evening just past the dunes golf course too. They are around you just have to be in the right spot at the right time

SR80
10-27-2011, 07:12 AM
I saw a huge 4x4 buck chasing does up at tunkwa lake on monday. Also saw countless 2 and 3 points up there. Try up that way.

4 point
10-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Brian011 those deer as you may know are always on Westsyde Road in that field and that's a no shooting area. I have to laugh at all the guys who stop there late afternoons and get out with binos to take a look. Spend more time in the bush they should and see them where you can actually hunt them. I'll be out the next three days chasing immys and as I have my mulie already I'll try for some pictures on any mullies I see.

lovemywinchester
10-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Ya, that's it. Deer Mart or Home Deerpot. It's finally cooling off this week here in the Loops. Hoping this weekend may be the start of some good sightings.

Wrong....!

Grousedaddy
10-27-2011, 10:04 AM
I have heard tunkwa to be very busy and not alot coming out of there this year

johnny cabbage
10-27-2011, 10:14 AM
lol i laugh every time i see vehicles parked there, too! that 3 point is one smart bugger to hunker down w/ all his does! brother has been seeing multiple bucks each day he's out. theyre starting to fire up now, and seeing rubs and sparring w the smaller bucks. lthe odd 150+ buck around already as well!

Ltbullken
10-27-2011, 11:23 AM
They are in the prime habitat! And all the beetle kill logging is changing a lot of the hunting around Kamloops too.

Ltbullken
10-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Yea, I took a ride around Tunkwa the other day and bumped into hunters everywhere. Didn't stay long, not with that stuff going on. With that kind of traffic, all the animals will go deep.

Jelvis
10-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Time to go Commando into the steeper slopes to the ridge tops early walking in then POW! Road hunting or hiking with a rifle your going to see a big buck soon.
Go in hiking with a gun and go up and over Rover. Or drive early around looking
Jel .. We're using commando tactics and we're heading in to the thicker stuff rocky stuff, hilly and semi open transition areas for the big looey. Start early stay late ....
Look and see .. look deep ahead and across .. on the ridges with the bucks ...........
Or drive old roads early don't go squirr ly. Be ready teddy. When you see 3 doe
The bucks around koko mo.

Grousedaddy
10-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Ill b out dawn to dusk all weekend in pursuit of the elusive buck

Lillypuff
10-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Why would you laugh at people glassing those deer. I enjoy watching animals no matter where they are. I would spend everyday up in Northern Alberta watching the fields even if I did not have permission to hunt them.

beni
10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Drove through Tunkwa after work, not enough time... don't know the area well enough drove ended up driving home through Logan Lake.

Saw 4 does leaving work above Kamloops lake, waited a bit... no buck. Thinking about Helmer area sunday...

finngun
10-27-2011, 09:42 PM
no more kammy bucks left.......jel shoot them all..

Jelvis
10-27-2011, 09:53 PM
finnicky is dat you?

SR80
10-27-2011, 09:58 PM
I saw a small group of whitie does this morning up at tunkwa. No whitie bucks though

Jelvis
10-27-2011, 10:01 PM
I thinks whitetail doe are open, yah coulda had some fine grained meat on yer tay bell.
Check the reggy's
Jp .. More gun ..... whitey doe yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

roblikestohunt
10-28-2011, 06:42 AM
I saw 4 nice decent bucks last night, Porcupine ridge area, There out there, just need to spend the time seeing where they are...Walking, Quadding, youll find them...

Grousedaddy
10-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Isnt porcupine ridge a no hunting area???

coach
10-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Saw 4 does leaving work above Kamloops lake, waited a bit...

Good strategy. Figure out where the bucks work and ambush them at lunch time or shift change...

On a serious note - the deer I've seen lately have been a lot more wary than they were a month ago. It makes sense with so many of us chasing them around. You really need to keep your eyes open as they are moving away from trucks, quads or hikers right now. A few times in the last couple weeks, I've spotted the hind end of a deer moving over a distant ridge. Give them a little time to settle and plan a route that puts cover and wind direction in your favor. They usually aren't far from where you last see them.

A friend of mine saw a good size four point on private land last night that had nine does with him. We aren't far away from the rut. Don't give up if all you see is a group of does. The bucks are likely not too far away.

walks with deer
10-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Anybody hit up skull mountain I would like to?

Ltbullken
10-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Rut coming in soon. Got a huge buck a few years back on Oct 31st and he was all heavy-necked and stinky. Get ready guys!

johnk
10-28-2011, 03:53 PM
I saw a small group of whitie does this morning up at tunkwa. No whitie bucks though

Send me a PM and I can tell you where to find them mid to late November!

Grousedaddy
10-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Quick update i found my kamloops buck a nice 4x3 160 pounds on the hook first buvk ever story and pics to follow

coach
10-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Well done, Grousedaddy! Sounds like a good one. Looking forward to the story and pics.

beni
11-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Good strategy. Figure out where the bucks work and ambush them at lunch time or shift change...

Hahaha =)

shot a buck friday after work, 15 days in the bush now and first buck i've seen. Time to chase some monster WT's around :)

just a 2x2, around 4:30pm. Shot mine and within about 15-20 minutes I heard about 6 more shots in other area's around me. (Sounded like some of them weren't very good shots....) ;)

howler
11-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Obviously depends where you are..... snow in the hills will push some down to winter range...... got my first one on the 30th, neck swollen and starting to smell, hopefully the cool weather and the rut starts to wake these guys up......seen other bucks..... time to start rubbing trees and doe calling...
Good luck!!

KevinB
11-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Yea, I took a ride around Tunkwa the other day and bumped into hunters everywhere. Didn't stay long, not with that stuff going on. With that kind of traffic, all the animals will go deep.

I've chased whitetails around there on johnk's suggestion, seems to be lots of roadies zooming around but I've only run into one or two people while actually hunting (i.e walking).

Brian011
11-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Lots of bucks around this weekend, saw about 15 including three 4 points. one was a little double drop tine buck

beni
11-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Went out for a bit yesterday, and about 5 hours today.

Not a single deer. (Lac le Jeune and Helmer lake areas)

And all of my duck ponds are now frozen over... what am I gonna do now?! :D

If anyone is looking for Yotes/wolves, and cat critters have a look around Helmer... LOTS of sign there today for Predatory animals.