PDA

View Full Version : atv accident

mikest
10-16-2011, 04:40 PM
I don't post much but I thought I would start.My wife and I were quading up to a good elk spot and we had to go up a creek bank.Well,obviously I wasn't thinking but as I started up the bank,we ended up rolling the quad.Thank god my wife is strong and put her legs up in time ,she deflected the quad away from us.She ended up badly bruised and I fractured my right leg.Nothing like quading and driving with a broken leg 80 plus km to get to a hospital.Can't say enough about Cranbrook emergency dept.Excellent care considring they were busy.Now off work for 6-8 weeks,and no more hunting.So,for you atvers out there be careful,I never thought it would happen to me.

RoscoeP
10-16-2011, 05:00 PM
I did the same thing last summer on a hill near Grande Prarie. I had driven the quad down the hill earlier in the day, it was my sister in laws. Well I hadn't checked things out and on the way back up later with Hughie on the back, as it was losing power on the steepest section I down shifted into first gear and flipped it right over on us. Found out later it was in 2W drive and the seat was not even bolted down. We were ok but I hurt myself trying to get it back on it's wheels, as we turned it over it started rolling and I tried to save it and got tossed into some blackberries or something. Where this happened my other brother in law Murray was killed a couple years before when he rolled a bobcat over the bank while working on the road.
I should have known better as I have used quads in the summer at the ski hill where I worked at for 18 years.
Be carefull on those things, they banned the 3 wheel ones. Cheers Roscoe

donperk
10-16-2011, 05:22 PM
dislocated my hip,,when i flipped a polaris 500 backwards on top of me
not a good feeling

jeff
10-16-2011, 05:45 PM
yes take it very seiously . my uncle had a nasty quad accident up in region 8 ./ was stuck over night . till he got the strenght to get his quad upright . he had internal bleeding . he got home and died on the couch. so yes they can be extremly dangerous

beeugle
10-16-2011, 05:52 PM
best of luck healing, been there myself, tipped my quad off the ramps while loading, bust my elbow joint right over backwards, total dislocation off work for 2 months... wasn't fun at all..... I bought a rhino... seatbelt and a roll cage. but still a heck of a lot more careful than I was before... as great as they are, they are dangerous too.

DR800
10-16-2011, 06:43 PM
You two got off lucky,happens to fast. Now you know and will never forget,respect.

Johnny G1
10-16-2011, 06:52 PM
What the hell is wrong with putting a roll bar on a Quad????

Pre '64
10-16-2011, 07:11 PM

makes it too hard to get through the alders

beeugle
10-17-2011, 08:45 AM
makes it too hard to get through the alders

wanna bet... it makes it easier,.... pushes them aside, !!!

LYKTOHUNT
10-17-2011, 08:48 AM

I think part of the problem is that you are not strapped into/onto the quad thus making the roll bar less effective than if you were belted in

pete_k
10-17-2011, 09:14 AM
I drive mine like an old lady and I still get into situations that I regret.
I'm so out of shape though, I've really taken alot to walking the bush alot more. When I see the ATV tracks in there,
I wonder why in the hell anyone would want to drive an ATV into such prime tracking territory.

I was with a group of guys last year in Monte Creek area and one went off the road. Very bad lateral fracture to right fore-arm.
He sent out pics 2 months later and it still looked like raw hamburger with staples.

Jagermeister
10-17-2011, 10:17 AM
The key words in Mikest's thread post are, "Well,obviously I wasn't thinking .......". Those words probably can account for 99% of ATV accidents.
Complacency: A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy.
Complacency is an accident waiting to happen.

I have been riding my atv since 1998 and only had it roll over once going over a log. I was off before it made the somesault. It too could have been avoidable.

The only time that I nearly came to a very serious end, like being impaled by several sharp pointy sticks. Travelling at a fair clip down a abandoned FSR from many years gone by. Saw some old vehicles off to my left and looked over the shoulder before stopping to gander. Turned my head back in time to see these pointy sticks protruding into my path. Only time to slam the brakes full on, no time steer away to avoid the hazard. Had one pointy graze and open the flesh on my thigh. Stopped just short of having one pointy enter my left nostril and another resting on my chest at the heart area. How close was it? Well the nose pointy made contact and left a slight abrasion, another inch or two and it would've been full cranial penetration.

You can bet your ass that I became more methodical about quadding after that incident.

Top of the order is always making sure that the ramps are secured to the truck before loading or off-loading. And, I now always stop before I want to look at something I passed. I try to get as much weight over the front when ascending slope, don't want no backflips for sure.

My atv is full time 4 wheel drive, so I don't have to worry about that. I make sure that I have enough forward momentum up slope so that I do not have to go to low gear. I'd rather do a J-turn and go back down than shift to low gear.

mulerider
10-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Same thing happened to me when i was a kid. I was on the back of the quad. Had a 300 lb guy and the quad on me. I was 13. Felt sick and dizzy all the rest of the day

BiG Boar
10-17-2011, 02:21 PM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/5707f6a5.jpg

huntcoop
10-17-2011, 02:34 PM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/5707f6a5.jpg

Bar fight in Surrey?

xcaribooer
10-17-2011, 04:17 PM
probally the best thing that can happen to you is get into a wreck with one and not be too badly hurt. It is a free lesson to be be more cautious in the future and gives you a new respect for what they are capable of doing.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-17-2011, 04:43 PM
the amount of inappropriate use of atvs that i have seen, i'm surprised that there is not even more deaths and non-fatal accidents.

RoscoeP
10-17-2011, 04:51 PM
I do it myself but quads are meant for one person. The seat usually has a picture of two people with a line through it. The extra weight on the back is the problem, usually going up hill, I speak from experence! Carefull

BiG Boar
10-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Grizzly attacked me. No helmet. Flipped backwards and the machine landed on my face. A passenger weight was the problem. 1 inch away from losing my eye. Very lucky. These machines are dangerous and deserve more respect than people give them. 1 stupid mistake can be very costly.

huntcoop
10-17-2011, 07:00 PM
... These machines are dangerous and deserve more respect than people give them...

That statement is so true. I have had my share of close calls but I think I've finally seen the light, thanx BiG Boar.

Spitzer
10-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Quad accidents are the greatest danger out hunting to be recognized and respected. Never take chances, not sure, turn around, get off and walk, secure ramps when loading/unloading.

Springer
10-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Quad accidents are the greatest danger out hunting to be recognized and respected. Never take chances, not sure, turn around, get off and walk, secure ramps when loading/unloading.

Great advice Spitzer !!! Something I always do now with a tie down to my ramps. The worst quad accident i had was unloading it, the other worst was on a Honda trike many years ago at Pink Mountain...great thread by the way.