PDA

View Full Version : whens the rut

hunterman
10-16-2011, 04:21 PM
so im still fairly new to hunting and just wondering when the mule deer rut happens in and around region 3? also is it at the same time as the white tail rut?

BrowningWSM
10-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Generally arrives 1st week of Nov then falls into 2nd week... Climate plays part of a roll

MuleyMadness
10-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Well, I have to disagree, at least as far as MD go....In my many years hunting around here the mule deer never really seem to really get into full rut until the 7th, with it generally seeming to peak between the 15th and the 22nd. Climate plays some role, as it does cause concentration of animals, but in reality the rut is ruled by daylight hours, and lunar cycles, NOT frost or temperature. Menstrual cycles are not ruled by weather (temps)in any mammal. It's why many of us leave the house for a week at a time every 28 days, because that particular pleasure of life is in tune with the lunar cycle as well. :)

MOOSE MILK
10-16-2011, 05:09 PM
What Muley Maddnes says.

jeff
10-16-2011, 05:18 PM
last year up in region 8 at around 6500 ft the rut was in fill swing on oct 26th when i bagged a nice buck chaseing does . his neck was swollen big time and he stunk. the next morning we saw two more groups of does and they had 3 pointers with them

Jelvis
10-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Main rut (mature doe October 23rd to Nov 4th), then (yearling doe til Nov 11th) then left overs, every 28 days after.
Main rut is October 23rd to Nov 4th ... be there or be square .. last dance nov 12 to nov 24th then you missed it seen yor.
Jel .. Just the facts mam .. Information from the Kamloops Bio' department ..
The deer in Kamloops are migrating already from the Bonaparte .. Rut October 23 on

dana
10-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Many people mistake prerut action as being the rut. Just because some buck has his nose up some doe's ass don't mean that is the rut. Swollen necks and stink also does not mean the rut. Bucks typically start feeling the urge in mid Oct and from then on beat trees and piss on themselves. That is prerut activity that's it. Younger bucks will also test does early but I can assure you they ain't getting laid for weeks to come. For many of them it is just wishful thinking anyways. Just like a teenager. Young, dumb and full of what? You know the rest. Muley Madness has the timing of the rut pretty much bang on. That is when the bulk of the rut happens. Of course the odd doe's cycle could be earlier and later. The early does can get missed and they will cycle again around the 8th-13th of Dec. Weather plays a role but not in timing but more in the intensity. If the snows hit the higher country early in Oct and start the migration of the does so they are all on that late season low ground together in large groups, they will come in heat around the same time. If the snows are late and the does are scattered from high to low elevation the intensity will be low as they will come in whenever they are damned ready. Cold snaps during that Nov timeframe also help keep the rut during the daylight hours. If it is warmer conditions, the rut will be pretty much nocturnal. The bucks get over heated while rutting and will rest during the day because it is too warm for them.

jeff
10-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Many people mistake prerut action as being the rut. Just because some buck has his nose up some doe's ass don't mean that is the rut. Swollen necks and stink also does not mean the rut. Bucks typically start feeling the urge in mid Oct and from then on beat trees and piss on themselves. That is prerut activity that's it. Younger bucks will also test does early but I can assure you they ain't getting laid for weeks to come. For many of them it is just wishful thinking anyways. Just like a teenager. Young, dumb and full of what? You know the rest. Muley Madness has the timing of the rut pretty much bang on. That is when the bulk of the rut happens. Of course the odd doe's cycle could be earlier and later. The early does can get missed and they will cycle again around the 8th-13th of Dec. Weather plays a role but not in timing but more in the intensity. If the snows hit the higher country early in Oct and start the migration of the does so they are all on that late season low ground together in large groups, they will come in heat around the same time. If the snows are late and the does are scattered from high to low elevation the intensity will be low as they will come in whenever they are damned ready. Cold snaps during that Nov timeframe also help keep the rut during the daylight hours. If it is warmer conditions, the rut will be pretty much nocturnal. The bucks get over heated while rutting and will rest during the day because it is too warm for them.

does the rutt ,necessarly mean getting laid or does the rutt mean when the bucks get stupid and think about nothing but pussy

jeff
10-16-2011, 07:07 PM
personally i think the end of oct for mullies and nov 10th for blacktail

dana
10-16-2011, 07:17 PM
The rut means getting laid. The young bucks always are stupid and think about tail. I've watched them harrassing does in Jan and Feb. And you can't tell me the does were in heat as I've seen 6 or 7 mature bucks feeding or sleeping within a hundred yards of the young buck that is harrassing the doe. I've seen this many times too. I've seen young bucks sniffing does in July and August too. Don't mean the rut is on then either.

The one thing that many hunters don't realize is the vast majority of the time it is big ol' mature bucks that do the bulk of the breeding. They actually let the young bucks do all the pre-work for them too. The pushing and testing and teasing is all part of the 'game' to get her ready. And when a doe is ready, she'll either find the big boy or he will find her. The young buck normally gets left with nothing. This is why you see the younger bucks running with tongues hanging out all Nov long. They are just trying and hoping and praying they will get some.

live-for-the-rut
10-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Starting to see some fresh rubs out there,i would think there just starting to get into the swing of things,i wouldn't get to fired up untill around the last week of oct. Cheers!

Trapper D
10-27-2011, 08:47 PM
saw 3 bucks today when i was headed out this morning a 2 point, and 2- 3 points, the last three point was on the back of a doe given her the business end.lol yes but of course this was basically outside my door.... damn city bucks.... the evergreen road bucks. didnt see much in the bush though, 4 cow elk. and a million chantrelles

digger dogger
10-28-2011, 06:43 AM
personally i think the end of oct for mullies and nov 10th for blacktail
The coast is almost in full swing, and the mulies won't be till middle of nov-ish...
Time for some estrus dragging, and rattling!!!
These blk tails have there own party on halloween..
I beleive the rut for blk tails is at it's peak on nov 1st..

Grousedaddy
10-28-2011, 09:17 AM
So jelvis are you saying the bonnapartes will be free of all deer???