PDA

View Full Version : The best "worst morning ever" shoot

CRS
10-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Was fortunate enough to be invited along by Dano and his friend, for a shoot Saturday. Everything was set in place for a perfect day......except for the fog! You couldn't see the birds until they past you! The sun finally started the burn off and the wind picked up just enough to give us pockets of 200yd visibility. As much as the birds ran from my calls:mrgreen:, Dan swung them around and brought them right in! It was a real pleasure to have 2 amazing dogs along for the day, and as I am used to rowing out for retrieval, this was a treat. Time was not on our side as all had commitments in the afternoon, but with 23 birds and the clock expirering, we decided to call it a success......UNTIL.... we were literally almost packed up and getting set to go collect the dekes, when incoming, on a rope was a lone mallard. Here's our full pull! Only person with a gun still out was Dano, and as the duck came in, he popped up, slammed it, and it proceeded to plummet from the sky and .........CRASH into the ROBO duck, knocking it into the water!!!!!! A one in a BILLION shot!!!!! Now the scramble to get to the boat, and save ROBO operation begins. If I had not witnessed it for myself I would have NEVER believed it. The ROBO was under water for at least 3-4 mins, before we could get to it. Dan pulled it from it's watery grave, cleaned off the salad that had accumulated on it's wings, and while water was still pouring out of it, the wings instantly started spinning! Dan's got the pics and I'll let him add them if he chooses. GREAT day. Learned a ton, had some fun! I will be telling the ROBO story whenever the conversation turns to hunting, and I don't care if people think I'm nuts, 'cause there are 2 others out there who will be just as nuts!......
Chris

landphil
10-16-2011, 03:57 PM
That's too funny, the stuff memories and good stories are made out of.

nano
10-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Well done, the fog was not helping our cause today, only saw 3 duck and they were out of range.

fowlweather
10-16-2011, 05:11 PM
its run by a battery so it shouldnt have a problem running underwater, it could only break if some of the components dont like the water

aliagha
10-16-2011, 05:14 PM
HAAHAHAHA that's hilarious.
"Hunting is about having fun," its not about the size of the animal or the count, its about having fun and we should never forget that!

Ali

heyblast
10-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Glad to hear you had fun and success out there. You where with a good teacher and in a good spot. Apperantly Dano's trigger finger is working fine.

Buck
10-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Yep it was a slow start with the fog.Dogs made some great retrieves and the Robo duck crash was priceless.Nice meeting you Chris.

Dano
10-17-2011, 12:32 AM
It was a great day all right. Lots of good shooting and the dogs didn't let us down when we needed them to make a tough retrieve. Late in the morning we were looking for a bird and simultainiously Buck and I said our dogs had found it (20 yards apart!). We figure one of the birds was a bird we weren't sure about earlier, we had dropped 3 or 4 out of a earlier flock but weren't sure about how many. Looked around a bit and decided in the fog and commotion it must have been 3, nice to come up with the bird later.
I was between a couple Browning BPS guns today and I held my own with the finger but those guys both made some solid shots. Chris modestly neglected to mention the shots of the day when he dropped what I think was his first triple ever. A flock of 15 or so widgeon came in and we dropped 5 total, I'm sure anyone out in our area heard Chris celebrate the feat! :)
The Robo needs the stem fixed but I should have it done by saturday, pretty funny to watch but I wish it was on video.....
We'll have to do it again guys,
Dan

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Canso_Dan/24d.jpg

aliagha
10-17-2011, 12:39 AM
AH NICE!! Great going guys!! Some nice Fat ducks! :)

Foxton Gundogs
10-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Nice, good going guys. I always take my robos and pop the rubber cover off the switch and spray WD40 into them then coat with diatelic(sp.?) grease also grease the battery contacts and spray the motor after a wet hunt. never have a problem I know some guys that dont and they are always having swithch problems.
Time to go murder waterfowl now.
Cheers

Tanya
10-17-2011, 05:53 AM
Great story, sounds like good times. Thanks for sharing.

CRS
10-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Ya, I did get a "bit" exctited over my first triple...but when "that" feeling goes away, I'll know it's time to hang up the guns. Only issues now, are the amount of RE work I need to do to my blind!!! LOL!