PDA

View Full Version : Anyone See The Deer???

Gunner Staal
10-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Just back from a 3 day hunt outside Penticton/OK Falls area. I have had slow hunts in the past but nothing compared to this. 3 days and my entire party did not see so much as a single solitary doe. Spoke with droves of hunters who had the same result. I realize the moon was bright and the weather was fair but I can honestly say I have never gone 3 days without seeing a single animal. I hiked, quaded, trucked it you name it. Thick and thin and not a thing. Anyone else in Region 8 noticing the elevated areas starting to clear out or do we chalk this up to weather/moon???

sakofinnlight
10-16-2011, 03:55 PM
I hunted up high this weekend, sunset, elkhart, top of bear main..... Called in a beauiful bull moose this morning in hopes of calling in an immature... figures. Didnt see a single mule deer this wknd but the whities were out and about in decent numbers. Not alot of movement this wknd but have seen alot worse!

Jonas111
10-16-2011, 10:15 PM
I just had a baby girl a couple weeks ago so I haven't been able to get out much. Went out today and all I saw was people everywhere I went. I only had a few hours so I didn't do much walking but I couldn't believe how many people were out there. No wonder the deer are in hiding.

tanker
10-16-2011, 11:01 PM
saw 1 doe cow and calf moose and my buddy went walkin to a little bench and saw a wild turkey so nothing really slow im new to this but the moon was bright i could walk through the bush with that light my guess is they were moovin at night??

fireguy
10-16-2011, 11:01 PM
I had a not to bad weekend, but put on the miles on foot. I saw 8 does, one small buck, one goat 2 ewes, and 5 rams, and I thought I had a slow weekend, mabey I shouldn't be complaining.

TESKELLY
10-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Lots of Deer on the highway only 2 doe's on the mountain. The Irony of it all 2 Fawn's along with Mom and Dad yes DAD were camped out in our back yard in Princeton all weekend.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/TESKELLY/Hunting/IMG_0288.jpg

coach
10-16-2011, 11:29 PM
I was out all day today. Saw a dozen mule deer. 11 of them are still out there.

Laurence_Erickson
10-16-2011, 11:37 PM
well lets see pics :)

I was out all day today. Saw a dozen mule deer. 11 of them are still out there.

scottwh
10-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Out today in the Okanagan and seen 5 mulies, 4 were bucks. One was worth chasin which is why my legs are sore rite now. Cought up to him 3 times and still couldnt get a shot. Was a nice respectable 4 point.

fireguy
10-16-2011, 11:44 PM
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x477/fireguy4/oct2011011.jpg

not much moving today but stuff I couldn't shoot if I wanted to so I'm still looking as you can see

gibblewabble
10-16-2011, 11:48 PM
I saw 13 on saturday on Aberdeen plateau and I only brought 1 home so there is plenty left up there.

pete_k
10-17-2011, 01:03 AM
[QUOTE=TESKELLY;997726]Lots of Deer on the highway only 2 doe's on the mountain. The Irony of it all 2 Fawn's along with Mom and Dad yes DAD were camped out in our back yard in Princeton all weekend.

I wonder if they are taking refuge from any cats in the area?

Camp Cook
10-17-2011, 04:47 AM
I passed on a spike blacktail @ 20 yards last wednesday and a 2 point blacktail @ 80 yards this morning.

There is still almost 2 months of the season left = I don't want to cancel my last deer tag on just any buck I'm holding out for a chance on a 4X4...

and I would hate to not be able to head back out because I don't have another tag...

Wrayzer
10-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Sept was great saw lots of bucks, but was holding out for elk, 0october hits and I haven't seen anything since. Get in to one of my favourite spots by a nice watering hole, no vehicles around, but I smelled smoke, take a walk and a guy and some ladies having a fire and shooting their .22, ruined the evening hunt.

knockturnal
10-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Suprised we didn't run into you Fireguy. Spent the weekend out and about, hiking from basecamp. 6 sheep, about 20 goats, 2 whitey does, 12 mulie does and 7 mulie bucks. Coulda dumped all the bucks, but they were all to small for what I was looking for.

TESKELLY
10-17-2011, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=TESKELLY;997726]Lots of Deer on the highway only 2 doe's on the mountain. The Irony of it all 2 Fawn's along with Mom and Dad yes DAD were camped out in our back yard in Princeton all weekend.

I wonder if they are taking refuge from any cats in the area?

We had the same thought as there has been reports of a cat in the area. We went looking two evenings to see if we could spot the cat but no luck.

Getbent
10-17-2011, 01:57 PM
I hunted up high this weekend, sunset, elkhart, top of bear main..... Called in a beauiful bull moose this morning in hopes of calling in an immature... figures. Didnt see a single mule deer this wknd but the whities were out and about in decent numbers. Not alot of movement this wknd but have seen alot worse!

My son and I were up Elkhart as well, super crowded untill we found a spot to kick out away from the crowds.
Saw a cow/calf that was good to get the blood rolling but didn't see one deer, really wanted to drop one for him as this would have been his first kill.
Still had a great day with my son
Getbent

Fishhound
10-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Went out Sunday morning got light out seen 9 does 4 bucks in the first hour of daylight, brought a 2 point mulie home for dinner, no pictures,
Seen probably another dozen deer before 10 am, have to hunt high and get up early.

keoke
10-17-2011, 06:33 PM
I was out friday had a 2 pointer in the scope and decided that I had all weekend to find a nicer one. I should have pulled the trigger, didnt see another buck all weekend.

Deer_Slayer
10-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Just came back from 4-35 and same thing. Saw 1 muley buck, 6 Muley Does & Fawns, and took my whitetail doe..but that was 5 days hunting dawn to dusk in an area that in past was teaming with muleys...I dunno..there isn't any snow up top and it's very warm. On a different subject..how in Heck do you post a story or question on here?

SimilkameenSlayer
10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
so far i have seen in my area, 6 moose 1 bull, countless mule does, 4 mule bucks, 4 white tale but no elk.

Gunner Staal
10-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Fireguy get out of my spot lol. P.S. There is the biggest elk rub you have ever seen down the ridge behind you in that photo. Sat on it for a whole weekend but nada.

Sonof000Buck
10-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Saw 94 in a week..
Hunt the rain they'll be everywhere..

Doe Eyes
10-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Heading out to 8-12 for my mulie doe this weekend...looking forward to seeing whats out there!

LukaTisus
10-17-2011, 10:07 PM
I haven't seen a thing in the past week, myself. Save two HUGE cow moose in 4-35, within 600 yards of each other, and not a bull in sight, mature or otherwise. I was hoping at least one of those big-bodied girls would have a little horn on their head, but it was a no go. Other than that, just a crap-load of spruce grouse that we limited out on, and a sow with cubs.

Of course I've always noticed that clear nights during the full moon make for horrible hunting. Gimme a murky, overcast, stormy day anytime. :P

cumminsforever
10-17-2011, 11:01 PM
I live in the south Okanagan me n a bunch of buddies went camping by Rock Creek for the weekend went up by baldy n saw a couple dozen hunters n 6 mules all doe's n fawns.

upcomer
10-18-2011, 12:30 AM
I was up in 8 thanksgiving weekend. Saw about 20-30 deer in total (one 2pt that i was lucky enough to tag). Went up to to the same spot this weekend to try and get my brother and buddy a buck and only saw two deer for a split second before they hopped away. This weekend was brutal! Definitely blaming the moon.

groove
10-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Yup, I hunted hard over Friday Saturday and Sunday. Saw 2 rabbits, and 2 MD does (one laying on the road...). No shortage of hiking, think and thin, high and low. Waiting for the weather to change.

GoatGuy
10-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Went yesterday, 5 moose, ~15 mulies.

Groove, was that md doe shot or run over?

groove
10-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Goatguy, just run over.

Scouter Bear
10-18-2011, 12:50 PM
I just got back from my 3 day hunt up in 8-5, 8-6, 8-7, 3-13. Well I also had a rough three days. Did a lot of driving and glassing but I saw a lot of chipmunks, 1 grouse, and several doe mulely's and no bucks at all. I also talked to several other hunters and it was the same with everyone that I talked too.
I guess I will just have go back in a couple of weeks and try it all again.

ravensfoot
10-18-2011, 01:13 PM
I was also up in Region 8 on Saturday and Sunday and between four of us on 2 does and one real nice blackie but that's it.
Lots of hiking and barely any sign in the bush either. Weather looks like it's turning again this weekend so maybe my luck will turn too.

Andrewh
10-18-2011, 09:20 PM
I was up to my spot in 8-5 last friday. Saw 2 Doe and 4 bucks (spiker and 3 2-pointers) in 35 minutes of hiking with our overnight gear. Made for the end of the multi-day hunt rather promptly.

Andrew

Deer_Slayer
10-18-2011, 09:41 PM
are you from Golden by any chance?

The Dude
10-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Northern region 3 they're crawling out of the woodwork. Been here two weeks, and the last 3 days have really ramped up. It's on, boys, saw 8-10 little bucks today, 30-ish deer total. 4 points on down. Get your coolers ready.

dog812
10-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Its tough being a first year hunter.... I have been out a few time this year.. seen some does.. but no bucks.. only bucks down by other hunters i have come across. But i am still enjoying the sport.
And it makes it that much more exciting when i finally do get my first i guess.... but still... would be nice to see them everywhere.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Its tough being a first year hunter.... I have been out a few time this year.. seen some does.. but no bucks.. only bucks down by other hunters i have come across. But i am still enjoying the sport.
And it makes it that much more exciting when i finally do get my first i guess.... but still... would be nice to see them everywhere.

just walk a little off the beaten track or find a hidden clear cut and you will find your buck. it will happen.

Ogopogo
10-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Heading out to 8-12 for my mulie doe this weekend...looking forward to seeing whats out there!
must be an LEH hunt.

knockturnal
10-18-2011, 10:28 PM
must be an LEH hunt.

Haha. Seriously?

Ogopogo
10-18-2011, 10:40 PM
yes I'm serious.....didn't know mulie doe was even open during a regular season hunt, has something changed that I do not know?

fireguy
10-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Suprised we didn't run into you Fireguy. Spent the weekend out and about, hiking from basecamp. 6 sheep, about 20 goats, 2 whitey does, 12 mulie does and 7 mulie bucks. Coulda dumped all the bucks, but they were all to small for what I was looking for.

It's a big area, I was a little surprised I didn't see anyone else wandering around, but I spent most of my time a little to the south of that spot and didn't have the whole day to spend hunting either.

bucket
10-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah, what are you guys on about ?
Section 8
Mule Deer Bucks Oct 1 - Oct31s
White Tail Anterless Oct 10th to Oct 31st

Lower in the WT section there is an Either Sex listed. Pretty sure this means Anterless Males in the top bit. Of course, this has always confused me (Bucks Vs Antlerless Vs Any Sex)

Can someone cleary this one up ?

yes I'm serious.....didn't know mulie doe was even open during a regular season hunt, has something changed that I do not know?

knockturnal
10-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Sorry, I was laughing at the fact that he didn't know whether or not it was an leh hunt or not. There is no open season on mule deer does. You can only shoot one if you have an leh draw.