PDA

View Full Version : Arrow cresting

Backcountry archer
10-16-2011, 02:48 PM
I would like to try my hand at doing some cresting on my own arrows. I have some fur shafts for my long bow.
Saw some vids on you-tube and was wondering if any of you guys are cresting your own shafts.
I would like to know what is the best motors for homemade spinning jigs and possibly see some pictures of yours.

Bow Walker
10-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Why not get an old sewing machine motor and hook it up with a dimmer switch (like the dinning room light) then you can control the rate of spin?

Bow Walker
10-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Basically what you want is some kind of support for the arrow that will allow is to spin on an even keel.

I'd use an arrow inspector and rig up something to slow-spin the arrow.......

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Pine_Ridge_Arrow_Spinner1.jpg

Backcountry archer
10-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Why not get an old sewing machine motor and hook it up with a dimmer switch (like the dinning room light) then you can control the rate of spin?
That is just what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if there was a better idea.

MOOSE MILK
10-16-2011, 05:07 PM
I used to crest my arrows years ago and used a variable speed drill rigged up something like Bow Walkers picture, Takes a little fiddling to get set up but works great once you get the jig set and working. Sword striping brushes will produce very fine lines for your striping, signwriters grey squirl hair brushes will give you a nice smooth base. Also ONE SHOT sign writers paint is verry opaque and durable, goes on verry smooth.

Backcountry archer
10-16-2011, 05:59 PM
I used to crest my arrows years ago and used a variable speed drill rigged up something like Bow Walkers picture, Takes a little fiddling to get set up but works great once you get the jig set and working. Sword striping brushes will produce very fine lines for your striping, signwriters grey squirl hair brushes will give you a nice smooth base. Also ONE SHOT sign writers paint is verry opaque and durable, goes on verry smooth.
Great tips. Now if I could only find some good brushes and the sign writers paint. Some say "Testers" model paint works okay????

greybark
10-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Hey Backcpontry archer , I have used pens (all colors including Gold and Silver) for fine detail with good effects . Very cost effective .
Hobby shops also have small spray guns which i found rather stricking ,
You should consider just buying a cresting machine and get on with it . Not that expensive.
OR just wuss out like I plan to with arrow wraps . One doller per arrow and lots of designs available .
Cheers

Bow Walker
10-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Check out any hobby shops or craft stores for the brushes. Maybe an 'artist' supply store?

Avoid the sprayers like the plague. Way too messy and wasteful.