PDA

View Full Version : Slow, foggy morning until.......

Tanya
10-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Marc joined John and I this morning for a goose hunting excursion. We set up in the field that we'd found a bunch yesterday when we scouted. It was frosty early on and then turned foggy. We were starting to wonder if the geese had decided not to eat today when the sun finally started to burn through the fog. 50 yards away a young bear felt the warmth and came through the bush to the field's edge only to get our wind and leave promptly. Fortunately, Marshall was upwind of him and oblivious to his presence.

With the sun came a few geese and we downed a couple - at least it wasn't going to be a bust. Another larger group showed up and we waited too long hoping they'd drop a little lower...should have shot as they saw something they didn't feel good about and exited stage east. A little later more showed and we downed a couple more, and then again yet another flock swung by in range. One of those went down in the distance and Marc took Marshall to try to find it. John and I took another, and then as Marc was almost back with the goose we dropped another pair. We had to run both down, and the one I went after, a rather large bird decided to try to attack me as I approached. I won. 10 birds on the ground and we decided breakfast was in order.

All in all a great morning despite the slow start. Lots of corn down all over the valley and still some to be chopped. Could bode well for a while yet in the goose hunting department.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/Gooddayeh.jpg

Crazy_Farmer
10-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Good times, lots of honkers still around?

I was out pulling traffic on migrating lessers but the fog sure changed the game from yesterday morning to this morning. They flew on top of the fog level and kept heading towards the states.

Tanya
10-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Yup, still a fair number around, some farms have just chopped and there are still a couple to go. It really did appear that they didn't move until the sun finally burned through, it was after 8:00.

field marshal
10-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah we heard you guys! Must have been Marc doing all the missing???:mrgreen:
Fog never left our spread!!:(------Cheers---Field Marshal.

Chessieguy
10-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Well done...Just a nice pile of geese for plucking!!!

nano
10-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Nice shooting, the fog kicked my ass today in Abbotsford. You could not see anything that was ten feet in front of you!

kyleklassen
10-16-2011, 05:33 PM
looks like a good shoot. congrats.......k.k...

Marc
10-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah we heard you guys! Must have been Marc doing all the missing???:mrgreen:
Fog never left our spread!!:(------Cheers---Field Marshal.

There was enough missing to go around this day, :mrgreen: not sure if it was the fog or not used to shooting from layouts.

I forgot my calls this morning in the rush to go to the house in Duncan to grab all my stuff, come to find out John's call was missing it's reid, so all the birds came into the decoys with no calling, 2 or 3 flocks with the landing gear down 5 feet off the ground when we decided to pull the pin.

We did have a couple of really vocal flocks that we may have been able to influence but it goes to show that no calling can be more productive then bad calling some days. We probably could of stuck it out for another 5 geese but we decided than 10 was more then enough plucking for one day.

FirePower
10-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Another sucess story I truely love it Congratulations