PDA

View Full Version : couple of teals!

aliagha
10-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Went out to the marsh today for some pass shooting, as sunny as it was, the movement was slow through out daylight. Managed to shoot 5 but the grass was too thick and tall so unfortunately lost 3 birds.
Ali

aliagha
10-15-2011, 09:16 PM
3704....................click on the image to make it larger!

heyblast
10-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Why did you shoot if you couldn't retrieve.

aliagha
10-15-2011, 10:09 PM
heyblast, I don't shoot without the intention to retrieve it. i don't have a boat or a dog so for that reason i avoid hunting over water, so the marsh is the only place i can go. i have hunted the marsh many times before and was fairly successful in retrieving the birds. Nonetheless,I spent a good amount of time searching for them and gave my best effort to find it and after the third bird i put down my gun and headed back to the truck.

heyblast
10-16-2011, 10:19 AM
You dropped birds in the grass where you couldn't find them. You could of passed on the shot and not wasted these bird. You lacked adequate means of retrieval which is a violation of the migratory bird act. I've hunted waterfowl for 40 years, most without a dog and seldom do I lose a bird. You have no excuse to waste game.

slyfox
10-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Nice birds to bad you lost the other one,s it happen,s to everyone.

aliagha
10-16-2011, 10:45 AM
You dropped birds in the grass where you couldn't find them. You could of passed on the shot and not wasted these bird. You lacked adequate means of retrieval which is a violation of the migratory bird act. I've hunted waterfowl for 40 years, most without a dog and seldom do I lose a bird. You have no excuse to waste game.

like i said, i drop my birds with the full intention to retrieve them and i was fairly successful the birds in the past. don't tell me that you have never lost a bird you thought you could retrieve. I am well aware of the Law and always follow it. I have met other hunters around the marsh who have lost birds. and I am sure no one like loosing them. I believe mistakes like these are part of the learning experience and must be part of your 40 years experience as well. nevertheless, I will be much more careful next time and learn from my past experience.

longstonec
10-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Even with dog/s you will loose some despite what some people tell you. birds get crippled and fly half way to vancouver island sometimes. I would stay away from the tall grass though. its going to set you up for loosing birds. waders will help a little bit depending on where you are.

Foxton Gundogs
10-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Nice birds to bad you lost the other one,s it happen,s to everyone.

X2 $hit does happen even with really seasoned dogs. You cant predict where a duck will fall especially when they set their wings. If you made every effort to recover then you did your best and hunted where you had reasonable access to find your kill, then have nothing to be ashamed of we've all lost a fewf.

heyblast
10-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Didn't say I haven't lost birds, everyone has. I've lost ducks when I had a dog and without a dog I have to pass on a lot of shots that I know are low odds on retrieving. I said don't shoot if you can't retrieve. Dropping birds in tall grass with out a dog guarantees lost birds.Don't do it. You have to drop them where you can see them hit the ground or water and ready to finish any cripple NOW. Only shoot one at a time, forget multiples without a dog or partner to spot downed birds and retrieve your bird immediately.With steel I'll guarantee that sooner than later you'll have a dead duck suddenly come to life and fly away or disappear.

Ian F.
10-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Lay off the kid, no need for this shit!

beni
10-16-2011, 08:00 PM
With steel I'll guarantee that sooner than later you'll have a dead duck suddenly come to life and fly away or disappear.

Happened to me today.... flew right by me, BAM.... *SPLOOSH!!*... turn around to grab something a few meters behind and there he is getting away... didn't get to him.

Would have been my first duck too.... sunuva..

heyblast
10-16-2011, 09:14 PM
LAYOFF THE KID? He just learnt a lesson and won't repeat it. Sorry it's though love but aliagha already said he will not make the same mistake and I believe him. I sincerely wish you the best Aliagha, probably jumped on you too hard but I'm very passionate about waterfowl hunting. If you enjoyed your time in the field, game in the bag or not dosn't matter. Every trip is new and that's all you can ask for. Lindsay.

FirePower
10-18-2011, 05:50 PM
We all lose birds from time to time learn to mark the fall same as a retriever would points of referance etc. You will catch in quickly.

Bucks&Ducks
10-18-2011, 05:56 PM
We all lose birds from time to time learn to mark the fall same as a retriever would points of referance etc. You will catch in quickly.

you sure will, when i first staarted hunting ducks in the marsh without dekes i hid on the side of a riverbank under the flight path and pass shot ducks on their way by. when i knocked the first one down it dropped on the other side of the river, it was a long walk around to get it and i never hunted with deep water behind me again,

It is very important to think about how you will retrieve the game before you take the shot so loss of birds happens less often, despite even the best thought out spots even with a dog everyone will still have a few get away