PDA

View Full Version : Junior and Youth

PointMan
10-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Just curious on your thoughts about how seasons would apply to someone with a Junior license. My initial thought was, if you had a Junior license then you would get to hunt under the youth seasons and regulations. (ie. Region 8 Nov 1 - Nov 10 any Mule Deer buck), but after reading the regs a few times and talking to a couple of friends a debate erupted. Some thought I was right, others felt that because the Junior was hunting off my tags, he would alo be hunting under my seasons and limitations. I'm now inclined to agree.

I'll be calling the hotline this week for clarification, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had any insight into this.

champs
10-15-2011, 05:58 PM
I am almost positive that a junior license only permits your son to carry a rifle and shoot game under your permissions and tags. In order to utilize youth hunt seasons he must get his CORE completed, which then allows his own license, his own tags, his own bag limit, and the opportunity to hunt youth seasons.

If you hear differently please post.

PointMan
10-18-2011, 01:44 PM
JUST got off the phone with a CO by the name of Brent Smith, he informed me that a Junior hunter hunts under Youth season, REGARDLESS of who the license holder is. SO if you are hunting under 4 point mulie season and the youth season allows any buck, the Jr hunter is allowed to take a spiker.

Steeleco
10-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Done it, living it. My son is 15 and now hunts the youth season's on his own license and tags. My daughter now 12 hunts the same season's but hunts with the intent of cutting my available tags.

3kills
10-18-2011, 08:01 PM
yup what steeleco said jr allows them to hunt under youth season but cut ur tags. how old is ur child? my daughter did her core this year at the age of 11.

PointMan
10-18-2011, 09:37 PM
12 at the end of the month.

Diesel13
10-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Had the same question come up earlier in the season I contacted Jack Evans (a local CO) and asked him about the Junior hunting regs, he stated that in his 25 yrs as a CO he never thought twice about it and that he was 99.9% sure that even though my license doesn't start until Sept 10, that my kids are able to do any of the youth hunts as long as they have their Junior hunting licenses and if they get anything it goes against my tags. Jack checked with several other CO collegues and they all agreed on the same answer. Jack suggested that I contact Carol Foott in Victoria to be 100% sure, so I called her and she confirmed what Jack said and told me that without a doubt that my kids are allowed to hunt during youth season with a Junior license as long as I have my license, I supervised them, and we have the proper tags.