PDA

View Full Version : Huge bull, huge spread!!!

Ambush
10-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Crazy morning for me!!
First a little background. I have permission to hunt a big junk of private farm land, but I only hunt the fringe, which is crown. Ever since spring I've had a big shaggy looking cow of some kind eating my bait piles. I see his tracks everywhere and I have him on my trailcam. He annoys the heck out of me. Nobody seems to know who owns it or will admit to it anyway. He just roams around the crown land and wrecks the fences on the farmer's fields to.

So this morning, Im sitting in my treestand and about 8:30 I see a pretty nice buck coming down the trail. But before he comes into range, this idiot, shaggy beast comes from the other way, scaring him off!!! I'm more than a little mad. And to top it off he starts decimating my bait pile again! Right in front of me! I've probably fed this feral ba$tard $200 worth of grain by now.

THAT'S IT!!. If nobody owns him then nobody should mind if I kill him. At 22 yards I send an arrow through his hairy ribs, and he takes out of there like he's on fire. Well, he busts through his last fence ever and crashes in a stubble field. I had to get the landowner with his tractor to hoist, skin and load him. Turns out he's a steer, so somebody kept him at one time.
Likely going to be 700lbs on the butchers hook. That will help pay for the grain I've fed him. Horns are 4 1/2 feet wide!

But if someone wants a beautiful, long haired rug, then let me know soon. Would look awesome in a den or trophy room.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/00226.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/00916.JPG

Bchunter3006
10-15-2011, 03:16 PM
riiiight on!

BCbillies
10-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Another successful day . . . now that's gonna fill the freezer. :) Very nice open curl on him!

kennyj
10-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Awesome! That will make a cool euro mount.
kenny

ThinAir
10-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Good job. You probably aided in about 6" of horn growth with all that great food you were feeding him. Payback's a bitc#....

ufishifish2
10-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Tht was a very great and unexpected story. One of the widest racks I've seen all season.

10-15-2011, 05:06 PM
OMG TOO FUNNY !

Never seen s season for them type a critters in them's parts ......... huck huck huck !

CT

Bonus addition to the freezer and Trophy room ........ an no ya didn't have to go to Texas !

Phil
10-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Holy Cow! That there is some fine grub! Nice job.

Davey Crockett
10-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Shoulder mount?

steve62
10-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Looks like a Yak to me. and I would say someone owns it. I think someone is going to be pissed. posting pics of it is not to bright. and baiting is illegal in BC hhhmmmm...... oh have a nice day.

Tenacious Billy
10-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Best thread I've read in quite some time.....good stuff!!!

steel_ram
10-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Looks like a Yak to me. and I would say someone owns it. I think someone is going to be pissed. posting pics of it is not to bright. and baiting is illegal in BC hhhmmmm...... oh have a nice day.

Sorry steve, you are incorrect.

Weatherby Fan
10-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Yes sir them horns are going to look awesome mounted on the front of your truck !
Should be some dandy steaks right there.
WF

Foxton Gundogs
10-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Sorry steve, you are incorrect.
You are right it is not a Yak it is a purebred(or close to it) Highland Bull/Steer

steve62
10-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Sorry but I would not of shot it. as for the rest of you, you can do as you like.

steve62
10-15-2011, 06:23 PM
lets see if someones livestock is on your property and you cannot figgure out who owns it. you need to call the range warden or brand inspector he will come out and deal with it. Shooting it would be questionable.

Allen50
10-15-2011, 06:25 PM
omg you shot my $50,000 stear, i was just coming to get it to take it to a show in vancouver, now what am i going to do, what about the meat from my cow, his name was shagy,,,, he would have won grand chapian in the feed eating contest,,, this is a sad day for me,, maybe we should have a chat,,, soon,,,,

RobRuger
10-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Interesting situation, i think if everythings as you stated there wont be any troubles. I would of opted for the Albertans theory of shoot shovel and shut up, fearing someones drama, not posted the pictures. I didnt think theyd survive too long out in the bush, any idea how long its been terrorizing the area?

todbartell
10-15-2011, 06:55 PM
and baiting is illegal in BC hhhmmmm...... oh have a nice day.

hey Steveo, can you tell me which page in the hunting regs it states baiting is illegal? thanks!

knighthunter
10-15-2011, 06:59 PM
So, what's it score?

moose2
10-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Thats funny does this mean I have to start a highland steer picture thread. LOL
Mike

springpin
10-15-2011, 07:23 PM
I believe there will b some good steaks in that one!!!

BimmerBob
10-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Awesome! Just what kind of tag do you put on that? ;)

steepNdeep
10-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Haha... you had me goin'. That thing is a beast!!

What are the regs on that? I've seen a many on crown land, but assume they are on a crown grazing lease & never thought about shooting one. Organic free range beef would be awesome though...

elkhunter1
10-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Hey Ambush,
Awesome story,
Love the horn,s and Hide,
Thank,s for posting.

Weatherby Fan
10-15-2011, 07:47 PM
My Nephew raised a steer for the 4h club so we bought it and I wanted to test out the new Weatherby Ultralight on it...................but the folks at the PNE got a little excited when I pulled the rifle out................it was a little crowded down there alright !

Either way thats an awesome animal,great pictures and story,
Thanks for sharing.
WF

Caveman
10-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Any members of the Canadian Highland Cattle Society in your area? Maybe check the "Lost and Found" ads

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/highlandcattle2012.jpg

Johnnybear
10-15-2011, 07:51 PM
hey Steveo, can you tell me which page in the hunting regs it states baiting is illegal? thanks!

Inquiring minds want to know.

Some nice beef there Ambush. Congrats on taking out the fencinator. Those horns will make a great conversation piece.

muleychaser
10-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Most people that own cows usually keep an eye on them and know where they are. After 6 months i would say the search has more than likely ended.

Last year I was up in the Chezacut country and found a Texas Longhorn mixed in with a bunch of herefords ouy in the middle of nowhere. Turns ouy he was not a very liked individual with the local ranchers and they wanted him out but was hard to find.

Good job that will fill the freezer nicely.

gcreek
10-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Somebody, somewhere, actually owns that steer. Regardless of how long he has been loose. Open range in most areas ended today and there are always strays that are on Crown range until much later. What you did in killing this steer is actually cattle rustling that can net you a jail term if the judge so decides. The owner doesn't even have to be the one who charges you as the RCMP and the Brand Inspectors can do that for you. I hope you are charged and tried.

People who don't respect what isn't theirs are the reason most private land is posted. It only takes one of you to make it bad for hundreds of good, REAL hunters.

muleychaser
10-15-2011, 08:10 PM
I am betting that we are looking at an unbranded animal that was more like a novelty item rather than being part of a registered herd.

pmarsh
10-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Awesome read and great kill. I'd love to have that rug.

Ambush
10-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Any members of the Canadian Highland Cattle Society in your area? Maybe check the "Lost and Found" ads

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/highlandcattle2012.jpg

Just have to look in the "Lost" section 'cause the found part is done.:mrgreen:

Johnnybear
10-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Awesome!!!

Ambush
10-15-2011, 08:23 PM
So, what's it score?

Not sure the best way to score it. Maybe like a Wildebeast, just measure the bases and the length around the curve.
Or like sheep with length and quarters.
Any scorers on here to give some guidance?

Even Willy442 would be OK with this one!!

cainer
10-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Haha, Will this entry count in the big game contest?

stoneguide
10-15-2011, 08:31 PM
How many age rings does he have? LOL

Weatherby Fan
10-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Somebody, somewhere, actually owns that steer. Regardless of how long he has been loose. Open range in most areas ended today and there are always strays that are on Crown range until much later. What you did in killing this steer is actually cattle rustling that can net you a jail term if the judge so decides. The owner doesn't even have to be the one who charges you as the RCMP and the Brand Inspectors can do that for you. I hope you are charged and tried.

People who don't respect what isn't theirs are the reason most private land is posted. It only takes one of you to make it bad for hundreds of good, REAL hunters.

So correct me if I'm reading this wrong but all cattle must be off of crown land by the 15th so after today there fair game ? thats good to hear as they got to be better eating than a rutted up ole Mulie Buck.

Ambush just wondering if you could point me in the right direction for one of them long hairs,I don't need directions to your honeyhole but a little advice would go along ways.
Thanks
WF

RoscoeP
10-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Well, I agree with you and Steve, I don't think it was legal to shoot and not really hunting, hope your real proud of it. I think you made a mistake posting that on here.

Caveman
10-15-2011, 08:50 PM

Cuts down on the reading of the ads! :wink:

rollingrock
10-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Hahahah! I thought I would see a nice bull moose!

mark
10-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Congrads Ambush, thats a boone spiker for sure!
Years ago in 100 mile there was a rogue sharlay bull, the rancher and his cowboys couldnt catch it.
The legal owner told local landowners it was free game for anyone to shoot it.....sounds easy but when a bull goes wild, and dont want to be cought, they run and dont look back!
Me and my buddies tracked him for an entire day to no avail.....
Long story short.....I eventually got him! :-D
(they are suckers for hay in the winter)

Ambush
10-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Okay guys, it's a bit of a spoof, or more appropriately "bull $hit"
I did arrow the steer this morning, but it was at the owners request. The animal went rogue after they tried to trailer him and he's been roaming for the last three weeks.
He finaly settled in with some cows several miles away and we went there to "reclaim" him.

I don't want anybody to get the idea that they should go around shooting cows that seem wild.
I upset at least one rancher on the site and I can see why.
My apologies.

Beaufortranger
10-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Not even remotely funny -think before you post next time there are people that peruse these websites just drooling for unethical "hunter" chat. Do you tell your friends there mom is dead too!

scottwh
10-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Either way, good shootin! Yum Yum!

Ambush
10-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Not even remotely funny -think before you post next time there are people that peruse these websites just drooling for unethical "hunter" chat. Do you tell your friends there mom is dead too!

Seriously???

Spampy
10-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Shoot...shovel...and shut-up!
The way of the west.

huntwriter
10-15-2011, 09:15 PM
.. and baiting is illegal in BC hhhmmmm...... oh have a nice day.

I think you need to read the hunting regulations synopsis again. :)

Spampy
10-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Shoot...shovel...and shut-up!
The way of the west.
Oh yea...have a neighborhood BBQ or potluck.

gcreek
10-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Have to admit Ambush, you had me going.

I just hope all hunters realize that it is unethical and illegal to shoot any livestock without the actual owners permission.

For those of you that haven't figured it out yet, I am a rancher and on 4 occasions we have had cattle shot by "hunters". 2 of them had the hindquarters taken. It wasn't the Natives either, we have a very good relationship with them.

Whonnock Boy
10-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Now this here is some funny stuff. Thanks for the giggles.

coach
10-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Great thread, Ambush! You coulda milked this one for a few more days. Good for you for fessing up. I was dead set on killing a ferrul cow in R3 tomorrow! Guess I'll stick to looking for spike/forks and mulies.

Marlin375
10-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I don't want anybody to get the idea that they should go around shooting cows that seem wild. My apologies.

Awwwwww and I was just making some cow camo out of some old holstein seat covers....the hills around here are full of wild cows..... and way easier to harvest than a scrawny mule deer.

Come-on boys anybody who took Ambush for a rogue cattle killer needs to spend some more time on this site............or maybe I need to spend a little less time here.

It's hunting season, let the lies continue until there is nobody left at the fire to listen.

Foxton Gundogs
10-15-2011, 09:57 PM

That is correct, and the OP said it turned up in the spring which would be "turn out" time. So more than likely that critter does belong to someone and was either lost or on range legaly. As far as the fence issue it is up to land owner who border on open range to build fences to keep range cattle out not up to the ranches to keep them in.

coach
10-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Come in Foxton, haven't you ever heard, "finders keepers, losers weepers"? If the owner of this steer really cared, he would have put up signs to let hunters know he'd lost his animal.

Johnnybear
10-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Damn free grazer's.........:-D.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/open_range_13.jpg

gcreek
10-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Let's take the opener at face value, would you fellas think it just as funny if the thread had been about stealing a portion of your, or a close friend/co-worker's paycheck? Maybe your car? Maybe an arsonist burning your house.

Some things, to some people aren't funny. My first reply still stands for those of you that find the subject amusing.

coach
10-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Gcreek, it wasn't the original post that was funny. It was the reaction of guys that don't know Ambush through this site as a guy who bow-hunts grizzly bears and is clearly an ethical hunter. He was trying to get the exact reaction he did. I like a good practical joke once in a while. Particularly when it elicits the response this one did. Some guys still don't know it's a hoax. That makes it even more humorous. Get worked up if you want to. There's lots of us who "get" the joke.

jmo
10-15-2011, 10:54 PM

Come on. This is the funniest thread this season. In case you never read, everyone else thought it was hilarious too. Lighten up.

Weatherby Fan
10-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Have to admit Ambush, you had me going.

I just hope all hunters realize that it is unethical and illegal to shoot any livestock without the actual owners permission.

For those of you that haven't figured it out yet, I am a rancher and on 4 occasions we have had cattle shot by "hunters". 2 of them had the hindquarters taken. It wasn't the Natives either, we have a very good relationship with them.

gcreek I understand your frustration in losing cattle that would be costly,but the reality is those people are not hunters,they're poachers plain and simple regardless of race.

jmo
10-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Ambush. I want a quarter. LOL.

Johnnybear
10-15-2011, 11:00 PM
I know from this site that Ambush is legit and an ethical hunter etc. I just love the reaction he got and I thought I would feed the fire so to speak. Just having some fun on HBC is all:-D.

nor'wester
10-15-2011, 11:03 PM
heheheh, nobody said it: "way to take the bull by the horns" (and deal with the situation...) after all it's not everyday you get so shoot random cattle, with bow...

Allen50
10-15-2011, 11:04 PM
wow i can not belive all you guys on here are saying way to go, cool, congrats, good job, who made this guy the one in charge of killing someones beef, so what if it was eating all his deer bate, he had no right to shoot this beef, its not in the game regs about being able to shoot a cow if you find it wandering in the woods, some ranchers take 3 or 4 months to find all there beef out on free range. and there has been hunters shooting beef out on the range thinking no one will miss them. i hunted out of clinton one year and the Cos were looking for 5 guys doing just that shooting range beef,, so its steeling and its not yours this is how the area we like to hunt get closed off because of dumb crap like this, i hope the Co, and rcmp get wind of this and the guy is charged for shooting this beef, and like you said why post it, is he that dumb, or is it his and he is making up a story about it,, do we know the trouth about this cow,,, no i dont think we do,, someone will turn him to the Cos or rcmp, to see if this is the trouth,, or hes pulling are legs with this story,, my post earlyer was a joke but one never knows if it belongs to someone else,, would you shoot a cow wandering around where your hunting, thinking no one ownes it, i think not,,belongs to someone,,if this is the real story he could be in trouble if someone reports him, if not the jokes on us,,, hummmmmmand maybe hunting areas will start closing and no hunting sings go up then what,,, think about it befor you judge,,,,,,,,just my thoughts on this,,,, makes one go hummmmmm,,,,

Johnnybear
10-15-2011, 11:07 PM
wow i can not belive all you guys on here are saying way to go, cool, congrats, good job, who made this guy the one in charge of killing someones beef, so what if it was eating all his deer bate, he had no right to shoot this beef, its not in the game regs about being able to shoot a cow if you find it wandering in the woods, some ranchers take 3 or 4 months to find all there beef out on free range. and there has been hunters shooting beef out on the range thinking no one will miss them. i hunted out of clinton one year and the Cos were looking for 5 guys doing just that shooting range beef,, so its steeling and its not yours this is how the area we like to hunt get closed off because of dumb crap like this, i hope the Co, and rcmp get wind of this and the guy is charged for shooting this beef, and like you said why post it, is he that dumb, or is it his and he is making up a story about it,, do we know the trouth about this cow,,, no i dont think we do,, someone will turn him to the Cos or rcmp, to see if this is the trouth,, or hes pulling are legs with this story,, my post earlyer was a joke but one never knows if it belongs to someone else,, would you shoot a cow wandering around where your hunting, thinking no one ownes it, i think not,,belongs to someone,,if this is the real story he could be in trouble if someone reports him, if not the jokes on us,,, hummmmmmand maybe hunting areas will start closing and no hunting sings go up then what,,, think about it befor you judge,,,,,,,,just my thoughts on this,,,, makes one go hummmmmm,,,,

Read the whole thread Allen. He fessed up.

gcreek
10-15-2011, 11:21 PM
gcreek I understand your frustration in losing cattle that would be costly,but the reality is those people are not hunters,they're poachers plain and simple regardless of race.

We have 2 very close friends from the LM who just left that have hunted from our ranch for the past 32 years and are great guys. Several other aquaintences that stop in every year.

But...... if you have had.... Cattle killed.....fences cut and gates left open.......ruts in the hay meadows from guys thinking "I can cross this"......people looking in your window thinking you weren't home......spinning donuts in your pasture..( I caught that one)...... following domestic sheep tracks in the driveway thinking they were a huge herd of deer........locks broken to gain access to private property...... I can go on.

All these things cost us time and money and I often wonder what hunter types would think of me if I was to do similar things to their property or person. Until the individual proves different I am inclined to put them on the guilty until innocent list.

Even though Ambush has been kind enough to share several PM's in the last few hours and I hope one day to meet him personally, circumstances don't let me find any humour in this type of post.

coach
10-15-2011, 11:46 PM

Wow! Your post is almost as funny as your lack of ability to read through a thread, your inability to spell check and your lack of punctuation combined! Well done!

coach
10-15-2011, 11:51 PM
We have 2 very close friends from the LM who just left that have hunted from our ranch for the past 32 years and are great guys. Several other aquaintences that stop in every year.

But...... if you have had.... Cattle killed.....fences cut and gates left open.......ruts in the hay meadows from guys thinking "I can cross this"......people looking in your window thinking you weren't home......spinning donuts in your pasture..( I caught that one)...... following domestic sheep tracks in the driveway thinking they were a huge herd of deer........locks broken to gain access to private property...... I can go on.

All these things cost us time and money and I often wonder what hunter types would think of me if I was to do similar things to their property or person. Until the individual proves different I am inclined to put them on the guilty until innocent list.

Even though Ambush has been kind enough to share several PM's in the last few hours and I hope one day to meet him personally, circumstances don't let me find any humour in this type of post.

Your point is well taken, gcreek. I have no tolerance for the type of people who would engage in the behaviors you have described. I know many others on this site think the same way. Again, the humor in this thread lies in the reaction of people who haven't been here long enough to have immediately realized Ambush wouldn't have taken it upon himself to kill a steer without the landowners permission. Illegal acts aren't tolerated by most of us. I feel for ranchers who have had to deal with those who lack ethics or knowingly break the law.

Rob Chipman
10-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Ambush, you had me going. I was really curious how long he could have been living feral (which is how you described him off the hop, right)? I was thinking (always dangerous) - feral horses, why not feral cattle? There's been (and are) many instances of them. Why couldn't it happen here?

Anyway, what's the dif between a feral steer and a feral horse? I'm pretty sure you can shoot both. Just make sure of what you're shooting, right? Shooting someone's property without permission is wrong, period.

Anyway, here's what confuses me: if the steer is feral and you're not trespassing, what exactly did you do wrong in this case? It's almost as if a few people assumed you were either stupid or lying, because otherwise you are 100% in the clear.

Turns out you were neither stupid not lying. You were just joking and bullshitting a little.

Keep it up. It's funny.

I was reading that Highlands are really tasty, too.

Weatherby Fan
10-16-2011, 12:18 AM
gcreek
X2 as to coach's response,I'm sorry to hear of this kind of behavior is taking place on your property as no one I hunt with acts like that or would tolerate that kind BS,I'm glad you posted this up for everyone to read,again that kind of nonsense reflects everyone as a hunter,wrongly so but it does.
WF

TSW
10-16-2011, 12:20 AM

That HAD to be the longest sentence ever written in HBC history. Even funnier is that allllllll that typing could have been avoided with a little more reading.
RELAX people. Laugh. This thread was a joke--and as funny as it was, ironically, Ambush's post wasn't the funniest part of the thread!

The Silent Stalker
10-16-2011, 12:24 AM
I don't think I would have done it, I don't know the laws either so I will keep my mouth shut my mouth on this one. I will watch to see how this turns out.

Allen50
10-16-2011, 12:36 AM
oh yea mine was a joke to see how many of you would respond to it, and your all doing good to respond to it, oh yea i read the post about it being a joke, if you read mine you see it, says it a joke in it,, oh the jokes on you,,,,,,,, lol lol lol

coach
10-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Not much anyone can say to that witty comeback, Allan50. I give. You win!:lol:

5 spike
10-16-2011, 03:29 AM
thats awesome.

rocksteady
10-16-2011, 08:35 AM
I too was fooled by the original post... I was so disgusted that I could not even respond at the time.....

Now that I know it is a BS Fun post, fai enough, cause what I was going to type prior would not have gone over well :)

Couple things to clarify - Wildlife ACt - Not illegal to bait excpt bears and migratory birds (nea sanctauries I beleive)....

Cattle being pulled off Crown ang is no longer a "law" in our neck of hte woods. It now falls under Professional reliance"...A rancher is considered as a "professional" even if he is not does have a Bsc. In agriculture, Horticulture, agrology or such.....

The way it is now if a rancher figures he can out 300 pairs of cow/calves on the range for 2 months, he can put 50 cow/calf pairs on all year round. It is up to him to ensure that the land is not overgrazd to the point of no recovery....I have seen cattle around here in the high country in Mid November, up to their bellies in snow......

The Forest Service Range program and tied to COmpliance and Enforcement will do NOTHING about it, as it is thier professional opinion that it is wrong, but the rancher says it is right.....Professional reliance then dictates that a 3rd party member of the Association of BC Forest Professionals (Foresters/ Forest Tech/Biologists/Agrologists, etc) would need to investigate and mediate a decision....Even if the rancher was found to be doing things wrong, teh FS and C&E would likely give the rancher a small fine, but he would stilll have his grazing lease next year......

The Range department of the FS has been "gutted - no pun intended" and have very little abilities or powers, and even less staff.....

The BC Cattle Ranchers association and Kootanay Livestock Association have HUGE political influence (both provincially and federally, and would fight on behalf of the rancher, at naseum, in order to protect the rights and priviledges of the rancher, which, in their opinion was "ranching is a long standing tradition of managing the forest resources to graze cattle for human consumption. Thier hard work and efforts helped build this county into what it is today"..........Some believe this typ of statement, personally I really do not.....

I am sure I will piss off some ranchers with th following paragraph, but if it is not accurate please correct me with the truth.....
Most open range ranching activities nowadays are not economically feasible....The ranchers pay low dollars for fre ranging on grazing leases that does not bring much money back to the provincial revenue.
Most open range beef is more expensive that the ones grown in feeedlots....
The maket for wordlwide beef consumption is way down due to mad cow....
Ranchers get significant tax credits (purple gas/lost cow compensation, 50% refund on the costs of installing those 7 foot high elk fences to keep the elk out of the alfalfa fields, lower cost vehicle insurance for having AG plates, and a lot of them around here purchase most (if not all ) of there fam tractors and impliments/supplies in Pincher Creek Alberta, as there is no sales tax......

In my own opinion, the free ranging cattle industry is no longer a viable industry, but more of a tradition or a hobby....

If I have offended and ranchers, please feel free to PM me to discuss....Those are the facts as I know them, but am willing to eat a little crow if you can prove to me via clips from legislation or taxation guidance that what I am stating is not correct.....

gcreek
10-16-2011, 09:17 AM
I too was fooled by the original post... I was so disgusted that I could not even respond at the time.....

Now that I know it is a BS Fun post, fai enough, cause what I was going to type prior would not have gone over well :)

Couple things to clarify - Wildlife ACt - Not illegal to bait excpt bears and migratory birds (nea sanctauries I beleive)....

Cattle being pulled off Crown ang is no longer a "law" in our neck of hte woods. It now falls under Professional reliance"...A rancher is considered as a "professional" even if he is not does have a Bsc. In agriculture, Horticulture, agrology or such.....

The way it is now if a rancher figures he can out 300 pairs of cow/calves on the range for 2 months, he can put 50 cow/calf pairs on all year round. It is up to him to ensure that the land is not overgrazd to the point of no recovery....I have seen cattle around here in the high country in Mid November, up to their bellies in snow......

The Forest Service Range program and tied to COmpliance and Enforcement will do NOTHING about it, as it is thier professional opinion that it is wrong, but the rancher says it is right.....Professional reliance then dictates that a 3rd party member of the Association of BC Forest Professionals (Foresters/ Forest Tech/Biologists/Agrologists, etc) would need to investigate and mediate a decision....Even if the rancher was found to be doing things wrong, teh FS and C&E would likely give the rancher a small fine, but he would stilll have his grazing lease next year......

The Range department of the FS has been "gutted - no pun intended" and have very little abilities or powers, and even less staff.....

The BC Cattle Ranchers association and Kootanay Livestock Association have HUGE political influence (both provincially and federally, and would fight on behalf of the rancher, at naseum, in order to protect the rights and priviledges of the rancher, which, in their opinion was "ranching is a long standing tradition of managing the forest resources to graze cattle for human consumption. Thier hard work and efforts helped build this county into what it is today"..........Some believe this typ of statement, personally I really do not.....

I am sure I will piss off some ranchers with th following paragraph, but if it is not accurate please correct me with the truth.....
Most open range ranching activities nowadays are not economically feasible....The ranchers pay low dollars for fre ranging on grazing leases that does not bring much money back to the provincial revenue.
Most open range beef is more expensive that the ones grown in feeedlots....
The maket for wordlwide beef consumption is way down due to mad cow....
Ranchers get significant tax credits (purple gas/lost cow compensation, 50% refund on the costs of installing those 7 foot high elk fences to keep the elk out of the alfalfa fields, lower cost vehicle insurance for having AG plates, and a lot of them around here purchase most (if not all ) of there fam tractors and impliments/supplies in Pincher Creek Alberta, as there is no sales tax......

In my own opinion, the free ranging cattle industry is no longer a viable industry, but more of a tradition or a hobby....

If I have offended and ranchers, please feel free to PM me to discuss....Those are the facts as I know them, but am willing to eat a little crow if you can prove to me via clips from legislation or taxation guidance that what I am stating is not correct.....

You are partially right with most of your points, even enough to be dangerous!

The K has been fortunate to have a strong rancher organization and an MLA that supports them. I know of some ranchers down there that a few years ago were told they could not turn out until the grass was X high. Until cattle were turned out the elk would not move higher so ranchers were forced into a catch 22 position. There are range licences out there that leave discression to the rancher as to how the permit area is managed. Higher fines if not followed properly. Most of us have opted to follow the basic date out - date in leave some grass. I notice there are more than a few that abuse some of their areas by leaving cattle too long.
The FS has been streamlined, and rightly so. In 2005 there were 225,000 mother cows in BC as of last spring there are about 130,000 left here.

World supplies of beef are way down and as a result we are enjoying a 10 year high in prices. Try staying in business for 6 years with income at 50% of what you need and watching your equity seep away. You need cheap grass in order to produce feeder cattle for feedlots to fatten. It would be very costly to keep a cow/calf operation penned up year round and feed them harvested feed that they are designed to find on their own.
Our cattle stay on winter pasture fairly late some years. Quality and quantity of feed and weather conditions dictate when we start feeding hay.

I am one that has avoided most of the Govt. sponsored "welfare" projects. Don't want them meddling with me any more than they are. It would seem to me the same folks that are getting fences built for them are the same ones that want to be paid to allow hunters deal with their problem elk.

Our wildlife low numbers are directly a result of BCFW mismanagement of hunting and predation. There were no logging roads in this area until 1987. After promising that the logging roads would be off limits to hunting, FW opened them wide. There were over 100 bull moose went by our driveway on opening weekend that year. FW excuse was that Horsefly was shot out and hunters had to go somewhere. Native also have access to this area that was once a good breeding pasture and was only hunted on it's outskirts. Wolves are not being dealt with at all other than study after study . Grizzly population here and otherareas could stand being harvested some but FW keep putting out bogus low numbers to keep them alive. Between 2003 and 2007 our operation lost 93 cattle to predators alone. Most of these were grizzly kills. The program that was run by BCCA dealt with the 7 cattle killers and things have been fairly good until this year. We are short 9 calves so far and still have in excess of 100 cows to gather. Wolves are the culprits this year. I shot one 40 yds. from my kitchen window 3 mornings ago. The pack got 3 lambs while they were here in spite of our guard dogs.

Time to go find some cows.

Ruger4
10-16-2011, 09:27 AM

x2
hopefully this 'hoax' ?? or back pedal story doesnt make it out into the general public if it hasnt already , the anti's would love to run with it for a while

Stone Sheep Steve
10-16-2011, 10:09 AM
While I've never met Ambush in person, it's easy enough to gain some knowledge of his character by his previous threads over the last several years. It was obvious to me that there was more to this story than meets the eye.

To steal a line from my favorite "actor" Buggs Bunny Man you guys sure are "gullabull":mrgreen:

Good stuff Ambush!!:-D

SSS

REMINGTON JIM
10-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Well - That was a AMAZING amount of good reading with a lot of views ! LOL

kayjayess
10-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Ambush, thanks for a great read. That was awesome.

As for guys jumping on Ambush's case - lighten the f@ck up. Can't anyone appreciate any humor any more? Some people are WAY to sensitive. My Dad is a cattle farmer and I grew up ranching and yes we did have trouble with cattle getting shot. Do I take offense to Ambush's mock post. NO. And my Dad wouldn't either.

Seriously people learn to appreciate a joke and stop being so sensitive.

Ambush you are a true gentleman to apologize. IMHO you should not have to.

People in this world need to lighten up. I really am getting fed up with people getting on each others back on this site for every little thing - even posting a joke.

laredo318
10-16-2011, 11:02 AM
April Fools came late this year.
Way to go!! You sure twisted some tails here!
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Ambush
10-16-2011, 01:20 PM
x2

hopefully this 'hoax' ?? or back pedal story doesnt make it out into the general public if it hasnt already , the anti's would love to run with it for a while

A little too dramatic Ruger. If you think I broke the law and am trying to cover it up, then you should report it to the proper authourities.
Active "Anti's" don't cruise around these sites looking for fodder, they just make up stuff that's way more exciting.

Now a few observations:

First, and in retrospect, I should not have posted the way I did. It's kind of like jokes about Alsheimers, they're funny unless a loved one is suffering with it. [my Dad did]

Second, I'd like to commend gcreek, as a rancher, for his level headed approach.

Third. This many views and no contact from the RCMP or the BC Cattlemans Assoc. Maybe hunters are really not that good at policing themselves or reporting violations.

Fourth, that beautifull hide is already spoken for.

Fifth, It is going to be one awesome erou-mount!! I'll post pics when it's done.

Sixth and most important:

DON'T SHOOT ANYBODY'S COWS!!!

dana
10-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Last year I almost did the same type of thread with a my pig before we butchered it. Thought about doing some grip and grin pics but knew the HBC saints wouldn't get my sense of humour so I elected against it. Judging from this thread, I was bang on with that assessment.
Good job Ambush on getting a bunch of the saint's panties all in knots. :)

Darksith
10-16-2011, 02:55 PM
wow, this one is hot. I read it when there was only 1 reply, and was gonna post but decided to wait since I knew there would be some mud flung. First off this is the internet, what do you expect. 2ndly although it might have been a joke, it let people think that it was in fact real, and a joke post should be identified at the bottom of it to prevent peeps from flying off the handle as we all witness day after day. 3rd, people think that this forum represents the BC hunting community, and I agree that it does, not entirely, but it is the first thing you will find when you google "hunting in BC". People fear misrepresentation b/c they believe that our rights to hunt are being encroached by tree huggers, animal activists/extremists and lobbyists, and they feel that those groups are constantly watching to find excuses to fuel their cause. No one side of this argument is right or wrong, its the internet, don't get so worked up about it. The bottom line is that anyone who has a problem with this thread and is bitching about it not being appropriate or what have you could use their time better by writing a letter to their MP rather than simply complaining on these forums all the time about content.

landphil
10-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the laugh Ambush, I saw the humour in it after the initial WTF moment.

killman
10-16-2011, 04:32 PM
ok I pee'd a little.......LOL

huntwriter
10-16-2011, 04:48 PM
I don't know Ambush personally. However, I know him from his posts here and somehow knew that he would not just kill a bovine for eating his bait and wreaking fences. It's interesting to see how many fell for it and felt the need to wag their moral and ethical fingers. That in itself was worth a good laugh.

Backcountry archer
10-16-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm always up for a good laugh, but I don't think this was a good choice for a humor story.
Even after reading the truth, I think it raised far too many defensive hackles on both views.
We should be standing united as one, for the same cause.........

greybark
10-16-2011, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=Ambush;996978]

Not sure the best way to score it. Maybe like a Wildebeast, just measure the bases and the length around the curve.
Or like sheep with length and quarters.
Any scorers on here to give some guidance?

Hey Ambush . Don`t forgets Firsts you count the Brow Tines then the widest inside spread . Great post !!!!!!!

uraarchr
10-16-2011, 09:33 PM
What kind of broadheads were you useing?arrows?KE?how far did he go?passthrough?what poundage is your bow and drawlength?Dem's some nice horns.congrats!

buckshot
10-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Great story! Probably better than anything I've read in Big Buck the last few years.

Ambush
10-17-2011, 06:02 PM
What kind of broadheads were you useing?arrows?KE?how far did he go?passthrough?what poundage is your bow and drawlength?Dem's some nice horns.congrats!

Mathews Drenalin @ 67lbs
29" draw length
Slick Trick broadheads 100 gr.
Beeman ICS Hunters 340 spine
No pass through, hit the offside shoulder. Next time I would use a 100 gr. heavier arrow.
I was going to show a pic of the Slick Trick X through the heart, but thought that may not go over well. And it doesn't look the same after 8 hours in the slow cooker. Delicious!!
860 lbs on the butcher's hook, head and hide off.

Deer_Slayer
10-17-2011, 06:43 PM
yeah I was thinking same thing..what **** going on bragging about baiting when it is illegal and posting your pic? And I'm sure that beast is somebodies farm animal..obviously?

killer
10-17-2011, 07:03 PM
that was a great read notice how some people are just waiting to pounce

Ambush
10-17-2011, 07:08 PM
going on bragging about baiting when it is illegal

Baiting is only illegal for bears and waterfowl. Perfectly fine for deer, mooose, elk, etc. Just so you know.

ThinAir
10-17-2011, 07:12 PM
yeah I was thinking same thing..what **** going on bragging about baiting when it is illegal and posting your pic? And I'm sure that beast is somebodies farm animal..obviously?

Oh man.... some people just don't get it.

Peter Pepper
10-17-2011, 09:52 PM
x2

I don't think the anti's or the general public give a hoot about a ranging cow getting shot or not. (Since when do they care about property rights of a rancher) What I think would happen is they would be both shocked and horrified that cattle still range on crown land. Then try to stop this instead.

Sonof000Buck
10-18-2011, 05:58 PM

NO brainer.
I'm 14, baiting isn't illegal.
Baiting predators is illegal in British Columbia.
Crown land, I believe, if not it's on farmers property, and clearly it wasn't the farmers.
Nobody is going to be pissed.
Thanks for your input but it wasn't needed.
Oh, have a nice day.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Scottish highland cattle are a delicacy! the best of the best.

gerrygoat
10-18-2011, 06:35 PM
This is one of the funnier threads in a while, thanks Ambush :)

The Dawg
10-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Baiting predators is illegal in British Columbia.

Not true. You can bait everything except bears.

Funny as hell Ambush!

BiG Boar
10-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Wow, I did not realize there was a date that they had to be off the crown land either. I saw a whole herd of these in Region 3 on sunday, and since the deer seemed to be hiding, I tried to put a stalk on one. I actually got one with my bow too!!! I think yours will have bigger horns than mine though. I thought they would be more wary, but it was easy. Skinning it out was a big job, but lucky for me I was able to get the truck right up to it. Sorry for the bad photos, it was just about completely dark when I found it.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/BearCreekLivestockSteer.jpg

coach
10-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Extremely disappointing, Big Boar. A guy with all of your hunting experience and presumably several freezers full of meat already and you have to go put an arrow through a dink bull like that?!? And a road hunt on top of it?!? I hope the hamburger is tough! Next time follow Ambush' lead and at least hold out for a trophy. I'm starting to think you're just a killer.

twr
10-19-2011, 09:17 AM
and that pretty much tops it off right there. great way to start my day. thanks for the shits and giggles guys. and to all the guys who got there panties in a bunch, relax, don't take life so serious or you'll never get out alive.
(Big boar, was that in Argentina?)

juiceterboost
10-19-2011, 09:56 AM
steve62 baiting is only illegal for bears

Peter Pepper
10-19-2011, 10:02 AM
steve62 baiting is only illegal for bears

What if the bait is my salmon slimed raingear?

juiceterboost
10-19-2011, 02:03 PM
good point, I concede ill learn to read the whole thread before posting.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-19-2011, 02:09 PM
the last thing we need is rouge cattle over running our game.

good job on slaying that beast!

GreatWhitePopogeebo
10-19-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm only on the 4 page of this thread and I cannot stop laughing this is funny stuff

Rodd
10-19-2011, 03:09 PM
OMG this was a very interesting read.... Thanks for the giggles!! That said, i would like to thank gcreek for his level head while I'm sure he was very disgusted with some of the comments... I hate those people that are inconsiderate of Farms, and their property! No excuses for that... I also have permission to hunt on a few farms, and am greatfull for these opportunities.. We fix fences when possible, and are eyes and ears for the farmers who's land we hunt on... Nothing exclusive, they give permission if asked. I would like to see more farms with this gracious attitude toward hunters! Cheers gcreek! We also have taken a young steer, that was on a pasture, and proved very hard to catch and remove. The Farmer tried several times and was unable to get this guy, and it was not like it was a few miles away, it was a great distance to pursue any further, and he had had it with this one, and gave permission for us to take it... turned out it was soo stressed from being separated from the others that it wasn't much good for eating anyhow.... but ya... of course you can't just shoot a cow!!! kudos to all Rancher/Farmers who allow ethical hunters and opportunity!!

smoothbor
10-19-2011, 04:09 PM
still cant believe some people still think baiting is illegal for deer elk etc......they should look deeper into the regs before making statements regarding someones ethics

Jetboater
11-02-2011, 10:02 AM
man I am so jealous, I have always wanted to shoot a cow with the bow... great thread that was awesome!!!

Getbent
11-02-2011, 02:10 PM
That's awesome!!!
What a roar.