PDA

View Full Version : boston bar or pemberton (or chilliwack or harrison)

paddo
10-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi Everyone.

I'm planning to head out of Vancouver to do some grouse hunting, just for the day. How have the grouse been near Boston Bar? I was up near Pemberton last weekend and saw only 2 the whole weekend.

I'm wondering if its worth burning all that gas to get out there?

Has anyone had any luck this year. Or what about chilliwack or harrison?

Thanks!

endtimerwithabow
10-14-2011, 03:30 PM
seen 0 near bbar

ROEBUCK
10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
no not worth the effort !

new hunter
10-14-2011, 05:39 PM
saw three in pembie on weds . I didn't have a small game gun , so if you can find em you can have em . I gotta agree with everyone else though , the years been so unproductive that it hardly seems worth the drive unless your looking to cut a tag as well .

aliagha
10-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Visit to boston Bar is well worth it, always seen lots around.
P.S. Pm sent

bucka
10-14-2011, 10:12 PM
No wasty you time

paddo
10-17-2011, 08:12 AM
went up the elaho valley. saw 0 birds.

Where have all the birds gone!??

sarg
10-17-2011, 09:12 AM
i was in nahatlatch (bostan bar) this weekend and seen 3 on sat, but i was the only one out of 4 guy that seen any, it the right place right time i guess, like any thing eles, i know people that get them out of harrison all the time,but for all the time i've spent up there i've only seen one in the off season.
sarg

keithb7
10-17-2011, 01:03 PM
They all seem to be there when you aren't looking for them. All summer I flush them when I am trail riding on my dirt-bike. Go back with a .22 in the fall? Nothing to be found!

aliagha
10-17-2011, 07:00 PM
its been a good year for grouse for us so far! got 20 birds on the first hunting in september and 10 more on the second hunt early this month in region 2! best time is early in the morning and late in the after noon. keep your eyes very low, look at the roots of the plants and trees. and walk some berry patches. Squamish and boston bar are some thick and steep areas, so i suggest you drive the road rather than walk and you will find your grouse on the side of the dirt road!.

chukar bob
10-22-2011, 05:29 PM
its been a good year for grouse for us so far! got 20 birds on the first hunting in september and 10 more on the second hunt early this month in region 2! best time is early in the morning and late in the after noon. keep your eyes very low, look at the roots of the plants and trees. and walk some berry patches. Squamish and boston bar are some thick and steep areas, so i suggest you drive the road rather than walk and you will find your grouse on the side of the dirt road!.

I think you can be pretty certain that there are very few grouse in the OK valley. My shorthair will vouch for that. Maybe saw 6 in 3 hunts on private land almost all prime bird country no other hunters. Fired 3 shots very discouraging.

You will find a few here and there. All 6 were ruffies no blues.

aliagha
10-22-2011, 09:18 PM
got 3 more out of princeton today!

Allen50
10-22-2011, 09:23 PM
must be lots around the bar,as there are many saying dont go there, that to me sounds like the place to go, good luck,,

aliagha
10-22-2011, 09:26 PM
I think you can be pretty certain that there are very few grouse in the OK valley. My shorthair will vouch for that. Maybe saw 6 in 3 hunts on private land almost all prime bird country no other hunters. Fired 3 shots very discouraging.

You will find a few here and there. All 6 were ruffies no blues.

private land is not always the best place for grouse. the place we got 20 grouse from is very popular for deer amongst many hunters and we had never seen more than a few grouse on a single hunt in the past 4 years of hunting that area. This year we were simply there on a warm sunny day and grouse were every where. we shot blues, ruffed, and spruce. and again today, the only time we found grouse was when the clouds broke apart and the sun came in for about 20 mins.