PDA

View Full Version : Buck Down!!!!

PGKris
09-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Well I finally broke the curse! Neither my dad or I had ever shot a buck deer until yesterday..WHOOOHOOOO! I finally got one. I can't tell you how sweet it is to finally have everything click into place for once! Anyway....storytime:
Buddy Matt from school wants to go out and get a doe in the youth season. So I say alright I got saturday off, let's take the women and pile in the car and go shoot one. No problem. Almost a guarantee.
Up at 5:30, on the dirt by 6:15.....checked out the first doe by 7:00. No shot...that's ok move on....bout 5 klicks down the road my gf starts to yell "DEER DEER DEER!" So I get on the brake and sure enough, 3 does right off the road....bail out...load the gun....look look look....Matt can't get a clean look in the scope. Truck whips past us (who does that!? why not wait?) and the deer took off for the chilcotin. Ok fine, only about 25 klicks in. Not a bad start so far.
Go another 20kms without seeing anything until we cross the creek and go up the hill...all of a sudden...DEER TOP OF THE CUTBANK! Slam em on, bail out, its a doe and a buck, buck's leaving...Matt takes the gun, scoping the doe, no shot, no shot , no shot, guy in a pickup comes around the corner above us. I wave him to stop (which he does, thanks man!), Matt keeps scoping, this goes on for about 5 mins before the doe finally commits to coming out from behind the ridge (all we could see was her head).....as soon as she steps into the open, the buck follows her out onto the ridge. As we had previously arranged, if it was a buck, I got the sho....so Matt handed (or basically had me take the gun lol) me the gun and the buck turned broadside, took 2 steps, slight quarter away...good enough...BOOM! Buck humps up and heads out of sight. OK I got him, jack another shell in, hand the gun to matt, doe's still there...BOOM! She humps up and falls off the cutbank about 40 feet.
WHOA! 2 deer down in 30 seconds, Jack another shell in, doe gets one in the head, still moving at the bottom of the hill. OK let's go get the buck! The guy that had been waiting for us actually had a 2 point bull moose in his truck so he didnt mind waiting lol. Thanks again to him! Climb up the hill, find the spot where I hit the buck, lung matter on the leaves behind where I hit him...awesome. Start following the blood trail...not much of one to start and then it petered out....wtf? He was hit hard....we look 10 feet left...HOLY CRAP there he is! Scared the crap out of us being so close and not even seeing him lol. We were so focused on the blood trail.
Just a little 2x2. Lots of fat on him. Going to be real tasty.
Pics coming ASAP
Kris
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/PGKris/Hunting06-Buck-Deerx2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/PGKris/Hunting06-Buck-Deerx2Pic2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/PGKris/Hunting06-Buck-Pickup.jpg

More to come. Goin to work right now.

Ozone
09-17-2006, 01:56 PM
2 deer, 1 gun, 30 seconds, nice

Schmaus
09-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Atta boy, I just about got a shot at a really tall two or three point yesterday morning but he was just a little too quick for me. I just bought the gf a new vacum cleaner today so I think I will be able to go out somewhere tonight. lol

PGKris
09-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Ya ozone it was kinda insane for a minute there.

Will
09-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Musical Guns.......:lol:
That's Awesome....Glad it worked out for you, Congrats:cool:

todbartell
09-17-2006, 03:44 PM
good work, and take deep breaths! :eek: :grin:

Gus
09-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Good work bud, 'bout time you got a deer eh

Marc
09-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Nice going guys!

todbartell
09-17-2006, 04:20 PM
oh yeah, what was the lucky rifle??

willyqbc
09-17-2006, 04:49 PM
good job boyz!!!!!

Chris

mapguy
09-17-2006, 05:34 PM
two at a time great hunt

goathead
09-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Great hunt times 2 way to go guys good shooting

N-W-Redneck
09-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Awesome job guys! 2 guys+1 gun=tender vittles!8)

I lucked out one time and got 2 blacktails in about 20seconds! Walking an overgrown skid road, I came upon the first one (a little spike) feeding towards me about 50-60 feet ahead. Boom goes the .270, right between the lookers. I took one step towards him which revealed a 2point that was standing about 10' further back and looking confused. One to the neck and my hunting season was over as I had gotten a doe the evening before! This was on Texada island about 3 years ago. Best part was that I was the 'kid' (I'm 34) along with my father-in-law and his friends! They had 1 doe between them when I got back with the 2 bucks! :grin:

BCrams
09-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Is it that hybrid you've been looking for??

Jelvis
09-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Steaks and deer chops and burger and onions, way to go Kris and buddy Mat from PG, PG Rocks <<<<<<<< Jelly Roll >>>>>>>

bsa30-06
09-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Congrats guys, sounds like it was pretty exciting there for a while.

Deaddog
09-17-2006, 09:17 PM
good job guys, sounds like a trip to remember

K-1
09-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Good going guys,,, they will only get bigger from now on!!!

PGKris
09-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Thanks guys. Hybrid this buddy :roll: I'll let you walk.
The tried and true Parker Hale 303 did the job for both. More pics to come. Matt nailed the doe through and through both lungs. Hole through the lungs about toonie sized. Exit hole pics coming. I was actually surprised at how big of a hole it made. I don't remember a hole quite so big on my moose. I hit my buck slight quartered away and uphill so I went in right where I wanted but came out in the upper part of the shoulder. I did recover part of the bullet but it pretty well came apart in the shoulder as it exited. Hanging at Hunniford's now. Jerky, roasts, pepperoni and hickory smoked. Now I'll have food for the doe hunt in November :lol:
Kris

mtnmax
09-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Way to go guys!

PGKris
09-18-2006, 08:25 AM
More pics:

Rack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/PGKris/Hunting06-Buck-Antlers2.jpg

Skinning the doe
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/PGKris/Hunting06-Buck-Skinning1.jpg

Exit hole in the doe
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/PGKris/Hunting06-Buck-Skinning2.jpg

Hanging him up:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/PGKris/Hunting06-Buck-Skinning4.jpg

Kris

Schmaus
09-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Oh man if your getting your meat cut at Hunningfords make sure you get at least a sample bag of the cheddar smokies. They are the only thing that I order now, they rock. I should have a couple of pounds coming out of there right shortly.

PGKris
09-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Well how can I change my order if they've already got my meat? Just phone em up?

Schmaus
09-18-2006, 11:03 AM
You could try, maybe they haven't started any of the extra stuff you ordered. We dropped our meat off about two weeks ago and they haven't got it finished yet. They told us it would be about three weeks.

Ride
09-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Good job guys....... always good to put some deer meat in the freezer.

Jelvis
09-18-2006, 12:48 PM
You gotta pay more for cheese in the Kanakers, thats what their called smokies with cheese inside you cannot describe the taste they are out of this present world for absolute taste bud action. But your going to play your going to pay a feww bucks more for the cheese so call today order Kannackers now! Or miss out til you get your doe, or if you have ground venison 25 lbs he will mix it Bavarian Style with smoke flavor and special peppers and spices in a smoker cooker to mouth watering perfection. Enjoy every pound of those mule deer. >>>PG Rocks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jelly

Elkhound
09-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Way to go guys......good times. Sounds like you were lucky with all that traffic on the road.

todbartell
09-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Im guessing you didnt eat any of the liver out of that doe? :lol: :shock:

what bullet did that out of the 303??

Mr. Dean
09-18-2006, 02:18 PM
OK.....No more hunting for you guy's untill AFTER I get MINE!!!!

Seth
09-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Im guessing you didnt eat any of the liver out of that doe? :lol: :shock:

what bullet did that out of the 303??

I was wondering the exact same thing. Look at that exit wound! WTF. . .

PGKris
09-19-2006, 12:56 PM
180gr speer hor core. They took the livers. He actually missed it by a couple inches. The shot was only 40-50 yards so that might have been it. I'm not quite so sure about those bullets anymore....they do a great job and shoot good but man alive, what a hole. lol

Sideofabarn
09-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Which one are you? The guy on the right is in my NREM class at UNBC. I overheard him talking about it yesterday. Nice job guys.

PGKris
09-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Haha! Found you! NREM 100? We're both there. I'm on the left in the pic. Matt's wearing the sweater. Try and find me around school, I'm here now. Gus was wondering what happened to you. You're in forestry right? Buy a pub night ticket! Later
Kris

Schmaus
09-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Geez sounds like everyone is going out in PG except me http://bestsmileys.com/crying/13.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/lol/3.gif

Sideofabarn
09-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Schmaus, I feel your pain. Seems like everyone has been out there gettin' em. I walk through the halls of the university and do I hear discussions about mid term exams? NO, I hear "nailed a dandy 6 point at the weekend". Argh, must be my turn soon.

Schmaus
09-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Schmaus, I feel your pain. Seems like everyone has been out there gettin' em
I was only talking about the pub night tickets, so far i'm having a decent year hunting.

PGKris
09-20-2006, 11:56 AM
LOL >> Riverside pub and grill on friday (15th and central). We'll make it an official HBC PG chapter gathering. 15 bucks at the door gets you free beer all night (till the kegs are gone).
There is lots of hunting talk floating this year.....mainly cause we're actually killing shit this year...lol.

Gus
09-20-2006, 12:00 PM
LOL >> Riverside pub and grill on friday (15th and central). We'll make it an official HBC PG chapter gathering. 15 bucks at the door gets you free beer all night (till the kegs are gone).
There is lots of hunting talk floating this year.....mainly cause we're actually killing shit this year...lol.

they're $10 if you can buy them from our table at the school by friday.

Hope to see you guys there.

steepNdeep
09-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Nice work boys! Those looked about like my first 2 deer. YUM.

Schmaus
09-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Don't worry I was just jokin. I will maybe have a beer with you guys sometime as we seem to know some of the same people (I think). I'm heading out for another week of hunting on Friday and then we'll talk.

Another Kris from PG

Bman
09-21-2006, 06:22 AM
Great story and pics Kris. That bullet hole kinda looks like the 30-06 180gr hole in the side of a spiker island blacktail (read: Tiny :lol: ) my buddy shot last weekend. Was only 30 yards away, I think that has a lot to do with it for sure. Bit over power but we are one gun hunters...

By the way I graduated from UNBC before I moved down here... many fond memories of killing time in the winter garden! :)

Brennan

PGKris
09-21-2006, 04:47 PM
many fond memories of killing time in the winter garden! :)

Brennan

No kiddin eh.....can't wait for the playoffs...lol

Ride
09-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Gee does everyone on this site from PG go to UNBC? I graduated from there a few years ago and i know it was hard to focus on school when i could be hunting.

And it does seem like a good year for a lot of guys here. I got my moose opening morning.

PGKris
09-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Gus, me and sideofabarn. I think. And neither me nor Gus have any idea who sideofabarn is....where are ya man? You comin tonight?

Jelvis
09-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Has PG still got moose like it did 20 years ago and is Mu 7:7 still the best Mu to get an LEH tag in, O ya one other thing, >>>>>>>>>> PG Rocks <<<<<<<<

PGKris
09-22-2006, 07:39 PM
7-7 ain't bad. There's moose everywere. Last number I heard was 1.8 moose per square kilometre in region 7A. Thatt was from MoE about 4 months ago. Basically, moose everywhere. Gus has a draw for 7-17 and he'll probably get one this weekend.