PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Encounter - Close Call !!!!

Riverratz
10-14-2011, 02:48 PM
My wife and I traveled to the northern Rockies with my brother in law and a good friend for a horseback elk/moose hunt.
Strangely, for the first time ever, my wife expressed concerns over Grizzlies on this trip, which later proved to be very clairvoyant.
We arrived at base camp on Sept. 20, spending the next few days climbing and hunting the high ridges around the valley, familiarizing ourselves with the terrain, etc.
Elk sign was scarce in an area known to produce in the past, but we spotted lots of moose. On a few days we spotted as many as 10-20 moose feeding on far slopes. The moose rut was well underway, calling proved fruitless as the bulls we saw were already with cows.
One morning, after a one hour steep climb on foot, my wife and I managed to bugle in a fine bull elk to 280 meters across the valley, but just as I was trying to confirm 6 pts. through my 10X bino's, a dense fog rolled up the valley reducing visibility to less than 20 meters in under 30 seconds. Our bull disappeared back up the far slope that we had called him down for the previous hour.
(LESSON: never stupidly forget your spotting scope at base camp !!!!!)

There was lots of Grizzly sign around, we spotted several in valley bottoms and on the slopes over the first few days.

On Sept. 23 the four of us made our way to a mineral lick where we would spend the day, and set up for some calling. There was lots of game sign around, we had high hopes for success.
The lick is at the base of a narrow, steep valley, beside a shallow creek. We set up in the aspen/spruce/pine trees above the lick about 100 ft. up, looking down a shallow slope. On the other side of the creek, the land rose in a shallow slope, mixed with open grassy areas and the same trees. The weather was clear, temperatures down around +2C., the wind was in our faces as we faced downhill toward the lick.
My brother in law and buddy continued up the valley, leaving my wife and I at our ambush site, we agreed to meet in about 4-5 hours.
I commenced with moose cow calls hoping to draw a bull down from the slopes to our location.
After about an hour, my wife spotted something way up high on the opposing huge open slope/mtn side, around 1500+ m. away from us. It was very large, through the bino's at first glance appeared to be a moose. The spotting scope confirmed it was a huge Griz., somewhere in the 9 - 10 ft. range slowly feeding his way across the grassy slopes, through a series of rock slides. He was as close to a B&C Grizzly that we've ever seen in 45 years of hunting together.
It was evident he was feeding in berry patches unaware of our presence in the valley bottom. We didn't have the coveted single Griz. LEH offered in this zone, even if we did I estimated it would be at least a half day climb to get to his elevation.
I was glad that we had spotted him before he knew of our presence. My wife watched him through the scope as I cow called, he didn't react to us in any way so we felt fairly secure. We resolved to keep a close eye on him in case he decided to come downhill in our direction.
Another few hours went by with occasional calling and nothing came to the lick. The Griz. remained on the high slopes.

Around noon, we dug into our packs and enjoyed a jungle lunch in the warm sun trickling through the trees. Having been up since 5:00 a.m., I relaxed in a sunny comfortable depression in the moss. I just drifted off, and all of a sudden was awakened by my wife poking me, "MOOSE" !!!!.
She was pointing up the slope across from us to an open grassy area, we saw three smaller bulls moving together across the grassy slope about 800 m. away, heading downhill toward our location. After a couple of minutes they disappeared into the trees, we were confident they were making their way down to the lick. Another half hour passed and no action, then all of a sudden my wife spots legs moving through the trees across from us. Within a minute or so, they stepped out into the open....three perfect 2 X 3's...could have been "triplets", almost carbon copies of each other.
The light breeze was still in our favor, only about 20 m. from us they had no clue we were there. Initially we had high hopes for BIG moose, BUT never overlook a gift I always say......so......
I lined up on the first one, he dropped on the spot with one head shot from the Ruger 338. The other two just stood there, my wife's Browning 308 spoke once, and the second one was ours as well. The third bull stood around for a minute or so, finally wandering off into the trees when we broke cover and stepped out into the open.
We made the short walk down to the first bull at the creek, laying partially in the water on the opposite slope. The second bull was on our side of the creek, only about 50 feet or so from the first.

We set to work on the first bull, and had him gutted and skinned in about 45 minutes. Right about that time our partners re-appeared having heard our shots. Congrats all around, after retrieving the horses from several hundred meters away, we went to work on the second bull. Gutted and skinned, we started quartering/deboning the second bull for packing.
All this time, we had been keeping an eye on the Griz. up on the high slope, he was still in the berry patches, we were fairly certain he'd stay up there.
All of a sudden buddy yells GRIZZLY !!!! I looked immediately over at the first bull on the creek bank 50 ft away from us and there was Griz, his jaws clamped on the moose's head, tugging him uphill, moving the entire moose about 1-2 ft. with each tug up the embankment. The horses went berserk. We all started screaming at the bear, but he paid no attention. A horror show and worst nightmare come true. That bear came right in with no fear at all.
As this happened my wife was back at our ambush spot digging something out of her pack. Our rifles were laying on our packs, where we had placed them following the shooting. I yelled at her to grab the guns as I ran toward her. She met me halfway down the slope, passing my rifle to me as she shouldered her own.
Up went my 338, I had the Griz.'s forehead centered in the cross-hairs, his head completely filled the scope at 4X. Oddly, I didn't want to kill him, but I wasn't about to lose that moose without a fight either, and if he decided we were on the menu, there was no question he was going down. I'd answer all the questions later. Weird the things that run through your head in a mere few seconds.
The Griz. kept on pulling that moose up the hill, by this time he'd moved it about 20 ft. and was getting real close to the dense bush above him. He was facing directly toward me, fairly large about an 8 ft'er. Every time he quit tugging on the moose, he stared right at me, as if daring me to come closer.
I let loose with a 300 g. Barnes I keep on the rifle stock for just such encounters, aiming a couple of inches above his back. A huge clump of dirt and wood flew up behind him. No reaction, he just kept on tugging the moose. My brother in law shot over his back from a slight angle with a 180 g. from his 300 Win Mag., still no reaction. Now my right ear was ringing ferociously from the muzzle blast of his rifle. I sent another 300 g. over G's head, connecting with a tree behind him, my wife let one go with a 180 g. from hers almost simultaneously. This time he let go of the moose's head, staring head on straight at me as I had the cross-hairs centered between his eyes. At this point I was convinced he was going to charge and I was going to have to drop him. The Griz. turned his head to the side slightly, looking away from me, I was absolutely certain he'd charge at any second. The moose's left front leg knee joint was about 6 inches in front of the bear's nose, I lined up on it and a third 300 g. connected with it, showering the bear's head with bone splinters. The bear headed up the slope into the dense foliage, all this time the panic struck horses were rearing up, thrashing in the trees, tearing at their bridles as we screamed, yelled, cussed and swore at the bear.
The bear reared up and stood on his hind legs, staring over the trees at us, about 100 ft. away, then he dropped down. We saw the trees and bushes moving but it was apparent he was obviously circling around us.
After a very nervous 10 minutes of sitting waiting for another encounter, we decided we had to get that other moose.
Across the creek we went, while my wife and I stood guard, buddies attended to the quartering and deboning. We were certain that bear was still close. This was one gutsy bear and it was more than apparent he had absolutely no fear of us whatsoever. He was not emaciated and looked completely healthy.
After a very nervous hour or so we had the moose back across the creek to our side.
We no sooner had it across the creek when the Griz. emerged from the bush again, this time making his way through the willows beside the creek to where we had been working on the moose. Clearly in view of us the whole time, he grabbed onto the head, hide and guts and within 15 seconds disappeared into the bush with the remains in tow.
We hastily got our moose loaded up for the pack out and beat a hasty retreat for base camp, a two hour ride in the complete dark.

We've had a few Grizzly encounters over our many years of hunting, but this was the closest we've ever come to what could have ended very badly for us or the bear.
Unbelievably, my wife did attempt some photo's, unfortunately all that turned out was complete blur, can't blame her, as she later confessed she could hardly hold onto the camera, let alone operate it properly as all she could think about was getting out of there.

A few days later my brother in law connected on a nice 6x6 elk,, and we ended our trip with our two well earned smaller moose and the elk, not to mention the stories, etc.

Chalk up one more "adventure" to remember.

J-Man
10-14-2011, 03:09 PM
That's good read.

4 point
10-14-2011, 04:01 PM
WOW there would be a lot of adrenaline flowing during all that. Glad everything turned out alright.

Glenny
10-14-2011, 04:08 PM
I think I'll wait for the movie ;) JK. That's quite the story, musta bin shitten bricks. I know I woulda been.

bigmuley
10-14-2011, 04:14 PM
those grizz are smart! gun shots like a dinner bell going off!

boxhitch
10-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Good story
Good that this was the first such in 45 years of hunting
Good that you realized the ramifications of wasting a bear for sake of a moose

markt308
10-14-2011, 04:43 PM
yikes, glad everyones ok. veteran move not panicking and shooting the grizz. sounds like you guys gave him pleanty of chances. congrats on some wil memories and some nice animals too.

moose2
10-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Great story its hard to change a grizzly's mind once they find food or think there may be some. I have called them in while moose calling and they hang around along time even after I make my presence known. Its a good idea to call in an area that offers a good look around.
Mike

vortex hunter
10-14-2011, 06:54 PM
crazy stuff THATS all I could say to meeting a G-bear like that . had a g-bear charge me in Elaho Valley before I checked my shorts after that one lol

Jagermeister
10-14-2011, 07:08 PM
By the sounds of it, he must have purloined the odd moose or two from previous parties. Gun shot = dinner bell bear. Next set of hunters might not fair as well.

steepNdeep
10-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Good story! Glad you & the bear made it out unscathed. Sounds like an 'educated' bear... at least he was satisfied with the gutpile.

I cow called in a grizz mom & cubs last year & was charged from ~30m. I shot into the base of a tree & luckily it turned her. I was puckered all the way back to the truck...

Here's the thread: GRIZZ CHARGE (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?56377-Stalked-amp-Charged-By-A-Grizzer-Tonight!!!&p=757382#post757382)

Rattler
10-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Great story. Glad things worked out for you. Crazy amount of G-bears in the East Koot....there should be a fall grizz LEH draw.

kayjayess
10-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Holy crap. What an insane inexperience. Good on ya for keeping cool

Riverratz
10-14-2011, 09:08 PM
By the sounds of it, he must have purloined the odd moose or two from previous parties. Gun shot = dinner bell bear. Next set of hunters might not fair as well.

Good story! Glad you & the bear made it out unscathed. Sounds like an 'educated' bear... at least he was satisfied with the gutpile.

I cow called in a grizz mom & cubs last year & was charged from ~30m. I shot into the base of a tree & luckily it turned her. I was puckered all the way back to the truck...

Not disputing the "dinner bell" theory, but the area we were in is not heavily hunted. The only access is by horseback, unless one hikes on foot 20+ km. There is no air access, and no ATV access. Even the GO in this area does not use this particular locale. Of course, this particular bear could have easily migrated in from another more heavily used area. Ursus Humungus we saw up on the slope is definitely 'King of the Jungle" and if he isn't, then he soon will be.
The bear we had to deal with was not the dominant bear in the area, that's a certainty. He was 8 ft. tops, maybe even down around 7 ft., but he had the look that said "bring it on, let's go".......and that 'no-fear' glare will be with us forever.
I've had Griz. encounters in past years, including calling one down a mountain side while calling moose, and some other surprises finding them on kills. Even had one bluff charge me once when I surprised it on a kill in a cut block.....that one almost made me swear off hunting forever when in my late 20's. Had one follow me down a game trail as well, found the tracks in fresh fallen snow on top of my boot-prints.....unnerving knowing I was being tracked, but never did see it. Buddy of mine came across a Griz. a week ago, burying a moose in the middle of a little used logging road, ripping at the rock hard road surface. He got pictures of it. The next day I drove past, it looked like an excavator had been scraping at the ground, a pile of dirt and debris in the middle of the road that I had to steer the truck around........with a couple of moose legs sticking out.

The thing that amazed us the most was the fact that this bear came right in like he owned the place, absolutely no fear or hesitancy whatsoever, so close, right in front of the four of us, plus all the horses, and after we'd been making all sorts of noise for several hours. Our mere presence should have been enough to keep most critters at bay, at least until we left, but not this guy, he obviously has huge stones. He came in upwind of us, but our scent would have been all over the kill site, considering we worked on that moose for almost an hour, and besides, with all the noise we'd been making he obviously knew we were there. The horses are the best alarm bell of all, but even they didn't notice his presence until we did.
Have to wonder how long he was in our area listening to my moose calls from our blind prior to the shooting ???? Maybe he followed the moose down to the lick ? He did come in from the same direction the moose arrived from.

I guess we'll never know for sure what really makes his clock tick, but we escaped to tell the tale, and in the end that's all that really counts.

Brambles
10-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Certainly handy to have extra hands on tap to help with the retrieval of your game. A little trickier when its just one or two people. Glad it worked out for you and you were able to come home safe.

MOOSE MILK
10-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Good story!!! Had me sittin' on edge of chair, run into a few of them myself.

Makin' me think about a treestand when callin' in some fairly heavy cover. But that wont help when your on the ground doing the cleaning, hard to clean a moose in a treestand!

Something to be said about hunting solo. Nice to have a partner.

REMINGTON JIM
10-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Not disputing the "dinner bell" theory, but the area we were in is not heavily hunted. The only access is by horseback, unless one hikes on foot 20+ km. There is no air access, and no ATV access. Even the GO in this area does not use this particular locale. Of course, this particular bear could have easily migrated in from another more heavily used area. Ursus Humungus we saw up on the slope is definitely 'King of the Jungle" and if he isn't, then he soon will be.
The bear we had to deal with was not the dominant bear in the area, that's a certainty. He was 8 ft. tops, maybe even down around 7 ft., but he had the look that said "bring it on, let's go".......and that 'no-fear' glare will be with us forever.
I've had Griz. encounters in past years, including calling one down a mountain side while calling moose, and some other surprises finding them on kills. Even had one bluff charge me once when I surprised it on a kill in a cut block.....that one almost made me swear off hunting forever when in my late 20's. Had one follow me down a game trail as well, found the tracks in fresh fallen snow on top of my boot-prints.....unnerving knowing I was being tracked, but never did see it. Buddy of mine came across a Griz. a week ago, burying a moose in the middle of a little used logging road, ripping at the rock hard road surface. He got pictures of it. The next day I drove past, it looked like an excavator had been scraping at the ground, a pile of dirt and debris in the middle of the road that I had to steer the truck around........with a couple of moose legs sticking out.

The thing that amazed us the most was the fact that this bear came right in like he owned the place, absolutely no fear or hesitancy whatsoever, so close, right in front of the four of us, plus all the horses, and after we'd been making all sorts of noise for several hours. Our mere presence should have been enough to keep most critters at bay, at least until we left, but not this guy, he obviously has huge stones. He came in upwind of us, but our scent would have been all over the kill site, considering we worked on that moose for almost an hour, and besides, with all the noise we'd been making he obviously knew we were there. The horses are the best alarm bell of all, but even they didn't notice his presence until we did.
Have to wonder how long he was in our area listening to my moose calls from our blind prior to the shooting ???? Maybe he followed the moose down to the lick ? He did come in from the same direction the moose arrived from.

I guess we'll never know for sure what really makes his clock tick, but we escaped to tell the tale, and in the end that's all that really counts.

He kinda does own the place- theres no other animal out there to BOSS around a 7-9 ft G Bear ! :cool:

Riverratz
10-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Certainly handy to have extra hands on tap to help with the retrieval of your game. A little trickier when its just one or two people. Glad it worked out for you and you were able to come home safe.

The four of us are "a team", no doubt about it, between us all probably have 160+ years of experience. We all lend a hand when the chips are down, or something is needed, no one bows out, no matter what the pain or gain. Everything, good or bad, shared equally. In this case no one ran for cover, no one froze up, we all reacted instantly, as one, in the same way, with no directions or orders.
We got lucky and it worked. I have no doubts that even with the four of us, that bear could have caused real damage if he set his mind to it.... extreme aggressive action saved the day and we got to keep our moose. Not saying or recommending this will work in every situation, but in our case it worked, ........this time.
Letting him take the moose would have probably worked in our favor too, albeit without our moose, but I wasn't about to let that happen without a fight, and besides, there was no telling what he'd do once he got the moose to where he wanted it and out of sight. Eat it ? Stash it ? Come back for more ? All of the above ? Who knows ?

Our experience doesn't even compare to your ultimate nightmare of almost becoming Horib's human bunwich !!!!! You guys are the VERY lucky ones for sure. You guys belong to a very exclusive club, one that nobody really wants to join. Good luck to you in the future.

10-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Holy sh!t that's scary

Ride Red
10-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Great story. Glad it worked out OK.

BromBones
10-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Quite the adventure you fellows had. No one got hurt, and you got another good campfire story to tell.

Been a busy year as far as grizzly trouble, lots of guys having problems with 'em.

Tanya
10-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Wow, quite a nerve-racking experience. Thanks for sharing the story, glad it had a happy ending.

Buckzilla
10-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I just had an intense bluff charge to within 20' from a grizz in northern BC. I wasn't ready with my rifle... Very humbling experience. I told the story yesterday in the bear charge thread on page 2 if interested. Hope to never be in that situation again. Luck was on my side...

steepNdeep
10-15-2011, 09:27 AM
The four of us are "a team", no doubt about it, between us all probably have 160+ years of experience. We all lend a hand when the chips are down, or something is needed, no one bows out, no matter what the pain or gain. Everything, good or bad, shared equally. In this case no one ran for cover, no one froze up, we all reacted instantly, as one, in the same way, with no directions or orders.

Sounds like a great team & you played it well! :cool:

The Silent Stalker
10-15-2011, 10:27 AM
My breakfast and coffee just went cold and I think I think I soiled myself. Glad it turned out well, great story.

REMINGTON JIM
10-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Interesting story. Too bad -no photos!:(
Some points.
-No offence but I think it was wrong shooting beside the grizz in order to scare it off . Luckily for the bear that it didn’t charge. You were asking for it! The 338 Ruger + 3 other guns would have dispatched the bear quickly.
The bear instinctively took possession of the dead moose. The only exception I would make is if the grizz raided our camp.
-I’m not sure what the legalities are re:–hunter harassing a bear(5+ shots) when the bear discovers & takes possession of the hunter’s kill.:confused:

-Only one time did we leave a gutted moose in the woods overnight(darkness was fast approaching)
We flagged a circle of orange ribbon about 2 ft. off the ground around the kill site. Early next morning we saw the ribbon intact & finished with the quartering. Had the ribbon been broken then proceeding with caution would be an understatement. If the bear was feeding on it or taken possession we would have turned around & let him have it (the moose that is). PERIOD!

-more than likely the bear was attracted to gunshots & human noise
-I don’t think that a smell of a recently gutted & butchered animal would be that strong & carry very far.

G bears will smeel that fresh kill a long aways away with the wind- they are amazing at what they can smell !!

boxhitch
10-16-2011, 08:01 AM
agreed, RJim. The smell of blood really gets their attention. Lots of bears in remote areas have never smelled or seen a human, and usually react by leaving fast. But I have seen the reaction when a bear gets the smell of blood on the wind and it is a sure magnet to them, overpowering the fear of the unknown. Remember, they are the top of the food chain.

rainman
10-16-2011, 08:31 AM
my buddy and i just got back from a leh moose hunt in prince george,we shot a big bull the first day and after a hellish retrieval we had 1 front quarter hanging in our trailer and the other front and back half of moose under cover at the back door of our camper.totally exhausted we decided to wait till morning to finish skinning job.buddy wakes up at 3 am to take a leak ,opens camper door and hears bones snapping in bush 50 ft away.looks down to where our moose used to be and sees that the back half of moose is gone approximately 400-450 lbs NO DRAG MARKS IN MUD so he wakes me up and i grab my 338,buddy shines flashlight in bush and i let go with one a foot over his big yellow eyeballs,grizz drops down and runs a little ways in the bush......so now we have half our moose in the thick bush with the grizz in there somewhere.we take my quad and 338 and flashlights into the bush to retrieve it......a lot of fun ...highly recommend it,another sighting isnt going to be a warning shot.so with the generator blasting and spot lights shining at bush we get the moose back in camp.we leave the generator running and lie in bed again with no sleep.we get up the next morning and finish the skinning job,then decide to go retrieve our boat and motor....mr grizz apparently isnt very happy so he sinks our boat and motor and bites a hole in my gas tank and line,so we winch the boat and motor out from under 10 ft of water and get it back to camp.we go out that night for an evening hunt with no action.....so at 2:30 in the morning the camper starts doin the hippy hippy shake,mr grizz is on his hind legs rocking the camper.i believe that if the camper wasnt tied down to my truck he might have pushed it out of my truck,he pushed it that hard.what i believe happened was he came back looking for the moose and it was fully enclosed in a 25 ft trailer,so he thought hed take a peek in the camper window right where my head was.after another less than nice sleep we decide that we already have a nice moose ,maybe we should go deer hunting for the rest of the trip 600 miles away........

REMINGTON JIM
10-16-2011, 09:54 AM
That night time encounter would surely wake you the hell up ! You sure pissed him off ! and he took it out on your boat ! LOL Glad it all ended well for ya !

rainman
10-16-2011, 02:41 PM
i tell ya,you gain a new respect for them when you see first hand how strong they really are

Backcountry archer
10-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks for sharing. Glad for the outcome.

steepNdeep
10-17-2011, 07:42 PM
-No offence but I think it was wrong shooting beside the grizz in order to scare it off . Luckily for the bear that it didn’t charge. You were asking for it!

-more than likely the bear was attracted to gunshots & human noise
-I don’t think that a smell of a recently gutted & butchered animal would be that strong & carry very far.

Sounds like you don't have much experience, compared to the shooters. As others have already said, the smell of blood travels as fast as the wind that carries it & can cross a valley in a few minutes...

Deer_Slayer
10-17-2011, 08:26 PM
yikes that is scary shit

Sunny
10-17-2011, 08:53 PM
very good story thank you