PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Jet Boat info ?

Big Bucks
10-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Im looking into buying a jet boat for hunting, and i was hoping some of the experienced jet boat guys on here could help out .
Was looking into this company up in prince geoge called EXwelding , just wondering if anyone has had dealings with them or bought a boat through them and how good are they ? Also if some one could tell me if shuman boats are still being made I heard they went bellys up and moved to alberta .
And if you had to pick a copany to buy a boat from who would you choose between Outlaw,Alicraft,Firefish,EXwelding,harbercraft .

Any help would be great guys .

lunatic
10-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Hands down, Firefish first, Outlaw second. I know Alicraft also make a good boat. Don't know anything about EXwelding. I find the Harbercrafts cheaply built IMHO. Of couse i'm mainly talking for skinny water. Bigger rivers then it doesn't matter quite as much.

white moose
10-13-2011, 10:01 PM
I bought a firefish hammerhead last fall. Just got back from the muskwa, hit a few rocks and no damage. This boat is very heavy, am running a 350 zz4. Burns mega fuel, but can haul a load. It has a scott pump, blew the reverse hydraulic shaft somehow. I did my research and this is a solid boat. Ended up skunked on the muskwa, did see some bulls, but wrong size. good fishing though.

nap
10-13-2011, 11:46 PM
I don't know anything about the firefish, I have an omineca, very close to an outlaw, which is greatfor what I do, It loves the tuchodi, alicraft have been around for years and there are alot of them out there, harbourcraft is moe of a lake boat in my thoughts. Talk to all the builders and how they build their boats, you will make a decision you will be happy with. They will all be more than happy to talk to you

Big Bucks
10-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Hey Nap , What did you have Omineca build you? I'm looking to build a 18-19 foot boat ,min 3/8ths bottom with full teflon , 8 degree haul , atleast 9 stringers , and I'm not to sure about the engine yet ,I would love to here what others have to say about engines , They are really pushing the 200 opti max . I know that the 200 opti is alot lighter then a 350 and better on fuel but will it take a load of guys up the river and come back even more loaded with animals?

Oh ya White moose did you buy your firefish new?

white moose
10-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Slightly used had 25 hrs. No seats or anything, but has a fishfinder. List price 68k, got mine for 52k. Not sure if a great deal, but i'm happy. Pm me if you have any questions. Have 55 hrs now.

nap
10-14-2011, 01:04 AM
I went with a stealhead with a few changes, 20' with 9 stringers, full uhmw, 12 degree, with a 200 opti. I wish I would have went with 10 degree but the agressive steering with this 12 is great. We also went with the bigger intake. I did a trip in early sept up the tuchodi, 4 of us all around the 200lb mark, with all our gear, water was great though, got skunked but don't think a couple of animals would have made to much of a difference. I do run ! of those high skew or screw impellors.

lunatic
10-14-2011, 06:20 AM
You can get more aggresive steering from an 8 or 10 degree by adding a trim nozzle. They shoot a wicked rooster tail if you want to that makes for some fun ;). I found I can steer a lot better just by playing with the nozzle angle.

Big Bucks
10-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Hey Nap so you think the 200 opti was enough power for your 20 foot boat or if you had to do it all over again would you have got a 20 or 250 sportjet?
And nap if you don't mind me asking how much did the price tag set you back for your boat ?

Big Bucks
10-14-2011, 12:34 PM
I guess not to many people have heard of EX welding in Prince George?

bulldown300
10-14-2011, 02:45 PM
I run a 16ft Outlaw with a 175 sport jet, i can pack 4 guys and all our gear for a 10 day trip. Its a big load but doable. If your looking at a 18 footer you would be fine with a 200. Outlaw and Firefish would be my choice of boat.

Big Bucks
10-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Bulldown I would love to get a Outlaw it just seems they are way more money then the rest , What made you go with a 16 footer and not something bigger?I guess your Outlaw was a Lynx am I right ?

Ponderosa
10-15-2011, 06:19 AM
we have a harborcraft extreme duty 1775, we really like the boat, it has a 200 opti in it, the power to wieght ratio is awsome, total pump engine combo weight is 370 lbs. and the 200 opti is 200hp at the nozzle. We previously had a Marathon Rock Crusher, and will never go back to that heavy of a boat. My husband has talked with Claaude at EXwelding in Prince quite a bit and he has built some awsome products for the opti, (some that we have on our boat) and his customer service is second to none. have also seen his boats during building and they seem to be excellant quality. and my husband would love to have Claude build us one.

bulldown300
10-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Big Bucks Outlaws do tend to be more money but its the same old thing you get what you pay for! I went with a 16 because i mostly run skinny water and they're easier to manage when you get stuck!:-D. It also packs all i need it to so it was the right fit for me. And yes its a Lynx.
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa336/bulldown300/IMG_0082.jpg?t=1317489733

ryanb
10-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Outlaws are good boats. The downsides are they are expensive and overbuilt (read: heavy). Firefish and Alicraft would be my choices, in that order. Both will customize the boat exactly the way you want (Outlaw will not, generally without throwing a lot of money at them). I have a14.5' firefish, which isn't what you're looking for but I can say if their bigger boats are like mine, they should be great.

Rock Doctor
10-15-2011, 01:15 PM
I love my Shuman Boat. 18'4" long, 6' wide, 175SJ, Full 3/8" UHMW, 11 Stringers, 3/8" bottom with a 6 deg deadrise. Very shallow running boat, but takes some learnin to power slide it around corners.
It packs a load, 4 guys all gear for 10 days (Wall Tent, BBQ, Quad, Propane Tanks, ect. I figure it will psh about a Tonne up on step but sometimes you have to run close to shore to get the shallow water to push you up on step. Once your up, away you go.

RD

Big Bucks
10-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Ponderosa: It's great to here that you think the EX welding has good service and it's good to here that you like the harbercraft because that is one of the boats were considering.
Bulldown 300: nice boat .
Rock Doctor :I'm thinking of getting a 10 degree haul just for the handling purpose ,your 6 degree must slide around alot and man thats alot of wait you can carry in that boat . Do you know if Shuman boats are being made anymore?Do you think I would need 3/8 full haul or keep the bow 1/4 and the back 10 feet 3/8 ?

10-16-2011, 04:16 AM
I would also have a look at Riddle marine out of the states.

eric
10-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Big Bucks, Shuman no longer builds boats.
Take a look at Firefish, great boats, I own a 17fter with the 175sj 8 degree with 4 strakes on the bottom and this boat handles fantastic with 3 guys and all the camping gear, no problem.
Also Claude at Exwelding is doing a lot of R&D for the Sport Jet crowd....Reverse buckets..beefier ss Hi Skew impellars..adjustable trim nozzles, and supposedlly builds a nice boat I haven't had a look at one yet,just what I have heard.
Go over to Meanchicken.net,it's a site for the jet boat crowd, tons of great info from all over the country.

Good luck on your search

Buckzilla
10-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Ya exact welding make great boats! I'm trying to buy Les's current ExCursion in the spring as he will build another. Les and his dad ( buddy of mine) build wicked boats and have been playing in the rivers extensively and know what works. A few buddies have ali crafts as well. Just finished my moose hunt in my buddies ali craft and have done lots of "jack-ass" rodeo ing in both the ali craft and excursion. Both built in PG by guys that play in the knarley
Stuff lots! Check out a couple videos on youtube of mine with these boats. Jetboat Macgregors part 1 +2 and pemberton log jump. Both Ali craft and Exact got my votes as I've witnessed the action! Both will be happy to give you their facility tour. Les and his d man at Exact are STRAIGHT Shooters!

2SHALLOW
10-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Hey big bucks
I bought a TJ Bulldog two years ago, 17' 8degree with full 3/8ths bottom 7 stringers and full 1/2"UHMW opti200. The boat handles like a sports car, i had 180 gallons of gas in it this year with gear for 14 days got on step no problem. TJ's fit and finish is awsome, just look at the welds on one and compare to other boats. The only thing i dont like is the 8 degree on a lake is extremely rough in the waves. I bought a few things from claude at EX he seems like a great guy to do buisness with!!

Big Bucks
10-16-2011, 01:05 PM
It's good to here that about EX Welding and Ali-Craft ,I guess I'll have to look more into Ex Welding .

jfreddy
10-16-2011, 08:43 PM
I just picked a Firefish Piranha 17 ft 200 opti 8 degree . I'm very impressed with this boat , very nice fit and finish . they build their boats tough . Highly recomend Firefish

Big Bucks
10-17-2011, 04:21 PM
great tohere freddy , im just looking at there prices and they seem to be really good,can i ask how much you paid?