PDA

View Full Version : Hunting south of Chimney Lake November 19

ravensfoot
10-13-2011, 06:42 PM
After feedback here on HBC I have decided to change plans from hunting Maze Lake area to hunting the back area behind Chimney Lake. Arriving November 19th for the post rut opening on Muleys. Looking for any general insight for spots to camp, I have a 30ft travel trailer. Any other insight would also be appreciated, areas to stay away from, private roads etc. Not looking for your honey holes, (I'll find my own) :) I like to hike alot and also will be hunting from camp in a Rhino with my son. If anyone is going to be in the area at that time I wouldn't mind sharing a story and a beverage. Much Appreciated.

XPEIer
10-13-2011, 08:55 PM
If you mean Chimney Lake near Williams Lake, there are 45 large campsites at the Rec Site, not much for trees around though for setting up a good "hunt" camp. Check out www.sitesandtrailsbc (http://www.sitesandtrailsbc) for photos.

There are a few gravel pits along the Enterprise that may work well for a unit that size.

xpeier

ravensfoot
10-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks XPEIer, www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca There use to be an app online that had all the forestry sites but that is long gone, I have been looking for a guide like this forever. This is awesome!

srupp
10-14-2011, 02:09 PM
good advice on the rec spot..the Budwiser summer beach babes will unfortunatley NOT still be there,, seriously..lol...

The far end of the valley hits up with some north south running roads..:wink:

I am finished cutting/wrapping moose and deer..from recent trip..even spotted your area you was hunting in..

I leave 18th?? for Alberta for whitetail deer..we sure have simmilar schedules..but different locations...drop me a call...

steven:-D

XPEIer
10-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Ravensfoot, there is no longer such a thing as a Forestry Rec Site, they were all transfered over to Rec Sites and Trails BC in 2006, although it all falls under the super ministry of Forests Land and Natural Resource Operations, it is a distinct branch.

Keep checking back to the site, the plan is to have a Google Earth link for each Rec Site or Trail.

Watch the mud in and around Chimney, it is loon shit and tough when wet for sure.

Ry151
10-17-2011, 02:59 PM
you could also head up the 2400 road near 150 mile, the mulies are big back there but not sure on the campping options back there but they log alot on that road so its open

XPEIer
10-17-2011, 05:32 PM
RY151, you mean the 2300 rd, it is very busy for sure. There is a rec site at McIntosh Lake, some dispersed camping and another rec site at Moffatt Lake (long way out). Lots of road hunters (never been so scared of getting shot as on that road)

ravensfoot
10-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Yes I have hunted the 2300 road and Redeaux Lk Rd. It is very busy there and there have been some decent bucks taken out of there in the late season.

Ry151
10-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Yes I ment 2300 road. Sorry

cariboobill
10-18-2011, 06:43 AM
I hunted near this area for my late season buck for years. But now I have moved to another area that is not near a main road traveled at night by folks who can legally shot deer at night. In this area the roads to WL are well traveled. I hear too many legal shots at night.

I recommend you so find some quiet area to hunt, where you might find Mr. Big.

CB

ravensfoot
10-18-2011, 12:59 PM
OMG - it's getting tougher and tougher to find such areas that are less traveled and such in this province without spending a fortune on fuel. I may as well just stick with my little spots in Knife Creek, even though that area gets picked over pretty hard too. Can you hear the sound of me kicking the little tin can...

srupp
10-18-2011, 04:36 PM
well it DOES make it closer to bring you guys a Timmies coffee???..and a couple areas STILL hold deer back there...

cheers
Steven

ravensfoot
10-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Steven, I'll let you know when and where I'll be staying. Timms is always welcome in camp. Been hunting Knife creek for over 20 yrs now and happily still finding new and better holes up there.