PDA

View Full Version : Not real hunters

Janderson
10-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Hey guys

Im new to hunting and new to HBC. So much good info on this website, but i will have some questions later.

Last weekend I was up hunting near 100 mile and watched this father and his two sons shoot a doe up on a ridge while they were in a valley. I went and talked to them and they said that they hit it high and lost sight of it after it ran off into the trees. They knew it would die eventually but didnt even go and look for it. They got back in there car and drove down the road in the opposite direction of where the doe went. They came back 30 min later looked around for 20 minutes for the doe and just left. Apparently the kid that shot the doe only had one bullet and no extra ammo with him. It was just wrong to just not even look for the doe. They just went off and kept hunting like it never happened. Its people like this that give hunters a bad name. Like what kind of a hunter really only has one bullet on him. these guys were just a joke.

My newbie joke:

One morning, a father and his young son were in the forest hunting rabbits. After about an hour, they finally came across some rabbit tracks. In between the tracks, there were these little round brown pellets, and the son said to his father, "Dad, what are those?"

The father replied, "Those are smart pills. Try a couple." So the kid grabbed a couple of them and put them in his mouth. The boy made a funny face and said to his dad, "Ewww! Yuk! They taste like s---."

The father replied, "See, you're getting smarter already."

sarg
10-13-2011, 06:44 PM
were they _ _ _ _ _ _?

elkdom
10-13-2011, 06:48 PM
maybe pa' and his two sons headed for town to buy 1 more boolit ? :-|

Allen50
10-13-2011, 07:07 PM
well did you report these hunters with the make and model of car, to the Cos, thats the only right thing to come out of this,,being new to hunting when you see something like this, report it, good luck with your hunting year,,

TheProvider
10-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Its amazing how many people don't track animals they shoot at because they didn't see it go down or it didn't appear to be hit.

walks with deer
10-13-2011, 07:42 PM
I agree with allen50 report them even if they do not get prosecuted it should embaress them it states in the regs any and all effort to retreive.

theses people should not have liscenses i saw someone do the same in kamloops on a whitetail i followed it 14k before i finished the deed in 2 inch of snow with my new born in the truck with my wife,these people do not respect the game do not deserve to hunt (yes i reported the culperet) when i offered him to help retreive his crippled animal he drove off. (looser!!!!)

.300WSMImpact!
10-13-2011, 07:45 PM
I dont think you need to report this, but just know that you would not do the same

Allen50
10-13-2011, 09:35 PM
I dont think you need to report this, but just know that you would not do the same

yea you need to report these people, cause they will shoot and kill anything,and then you get fools hunting out of season, and they think the rule book does not apply to them, and the rest of us suffer,if you report and nothing comes of it, at least you feel better and know you did the right thing,, it might stop them from hunting badly,, we dont neet this kind of hunter in the woods, they may shoot your way when they here a nose,, any way do the right thing,,, thats just bad hunting,, your choise,,,

Drillbit
10-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Lots of guys think it only takes one shot.

Fisher-Dude
10-13-2011, 10:15 PM

Why not? Failure to make every reasonable effort to retrieve game is an offence under the Wildlife Act. Call RAPP with the plate number and get these pricks out of the bush!

Retrieval of wildlife killed

35 (2) A person commits an offence if the person hunts wildlife and kills or injures that wildlife and fails to make every reasonable effort to
(a) retrieve the wildlife, and if it is alive to kill it and include it in his or her bag limit, and
(b) remove the edible portions of the carcass of game to the person's normal dwelling place or to a meatcutter or the owner or operator of a cold storage plant,
unless exempted by regulation.

REMINGTON JIM
10-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Why not? Failure to make every reasonable effort to retrieve game is an offence under the Wildlife Act. Call RAPP with the plate number and get these pricks out of the bush!

Retrieval of wildlife killed

35 (2) A person commits an offence if the person hunts wildlife and kills or injures that wildlife and fails to make every reasonable effort to
(a) retrieve the wildlife, and if it is alive to kill it and include it in his or her bag limit, and
(b) remove the edible portions of the carcass of game to the person's normal dwelling place or to a meatcutter or the owner or operator of a cold storage plant,
unless exempted by regulation.
x2 Absolutly report them - idiots ! :evil:

fearnodeer
10-14-2011, 06:09 AM
By the way welcome to the site and enjoyed the joke, and yes you should report them, cheers and have great day.

ianwuzhere
10-14-2011, 07:27 AM
yup- ya gotta track and track and search and search if you decide to pull the trigger and find blood or know you have hit the animal...dont get lazy! bad ethics :(

.330 Dakota
10-14-2011, 07:31 AM
If nobody ever reports things like this then these assholes will continue with that behavior indefinately. Always report that crap so people will always wonder if someone is watching and will think twice before pulling such a boner.

MB_Boy
10-14-2011, 07:49 AM
x2 Absolutly report them - idiots ! :evil:

x3........

1/2 slam
10-14-2011, 07:55 AM
x 4..............

Jonas111
10-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Everyone is so quick to report everything. Maybe they went out and looked and didn't find a blood trail and they missed the shot. So we should report them to the CO for missing the shot. Or did the OP find the blood trail himself and go find the doe? IF so then yes he should report it.

The CO's are busy enough tracking down poachers in all parts of BC to be chasing people that miss a shot. We can't speculate they hit the animal and make our own conclusions.

I know there is some unethical hunters out there but I also know people are getting the CO's involved on somethings where it is totally unnecessary.

THIS IS MY OPINION.

MB_Boy
10-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Everyone is so quick to report everything. Maybe they went out and looked and didn't find a blood trail and they missed the shot. So we should report them to the CO for missing the shot. Or did the OP find the blood trail himself and go find the doe? IF so then yes he should report it.

The CO's are busy enough tracking down poachers in all parts of BC to be chasing people that miss a shot. We can't speculate they hit the animal and make our own conclusions.

I know there is some unethical hunters out there but I also know people are getting the CO's involved on somethings where it is totally unnecessary.

THIS IS MY OPINION.

Should you not have given your son more than 1 bullet? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The original post stated this.......from his description I would absolutely say to report them. As Fisher Dude noted....what they did was in fact an offense.

"They knew it would die".....yet they only searched 20 minutes after leaving for 30 minutes? Guilt? :wink:

Last weekend I was up hunting near 100 mile and watched this father and his two sons shoot a doe up on a ridge while they were in a valley. I went and talked to them and they said that they hit it high and lost sight of it after it ran off into the trees. They knew it would die eventually but didnt even go and look for it. They got back in there car and drove down the road in the opposite direction of where the doe went.

Angus
10-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Last weekend I was up hunting near 100 mile and watched this father and his two sons shoot a doe up on a ridge while they were in a valley.

Two things bug me about this story. Not only the failure to search for and hopefully retrieve the animal, but shooting uphill from valley to a ridge. Where the hell is that bullet going if and when it misses the target?

Report 'em next time.

MB_Boy
10-14-2011, 09:49 AM
but shooting uphill from valley to a ridge. Where the hell is that bullet going if and when it misses the target? .

I'll bite.....over the ridge??? :mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen:

Angus
10-14-2011, 10:11 AM
I'll bite.....over the ridge??? :mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen:

Yeah, but what, or who, is over the ridge? The point being, that one should know where that bullet is gonna land/strike.

MB_Boy
10-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Yeah, but what, or who, is over the ridge? The point being, that one should know where that bullet is gonna land/strike.

Ya....I get that.....I was just being a tad on the "sarcastic" side. :-D :oops: ;-)

shelg
10-14-2011, 10:32 AM
They should be reported. I know the COs are busy but the more illegal activity that is reported, the more likely it is to see more staff for the COs. Too often people are doing illegal acts because they know they can get away with it. COs might have a history with these hammerheads!

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/rapp/form.htm

Angus
10-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Ya....I get that.....I was just being a tad on the "sarcastic" side. :-D :oops: ;-)

After a few beers last night, it's still too early for me to pick up on that.

MB_Boy
10-14-2011, 10:55 AM
After a few beers last night, it's still too early for me to pick up on that.

I occasionally get affected by the same affliction. :wink: I feel your pain in these difficult times. :mrgreen:

FirePower
10-14-2011, 11:13 AM
My question would be why would the OP not have tried to track the doe himself when it became eveident the shooter(s) were not about to. It is unthinkable to me that someone believing an animal was wonded by what ever means would not try to track it and eiter confirm it was dead, if alive but injured end its suffering, or had gotten clean away. And yes by all means report it.

MB_Boy
10-14-2011, 12:05 PM
My question would be why would the OP not have tried to track the doe himself when it became eveident the shooter(s) were not about to. It is unthinkable to me that someone believing an animal was wonded by what ever means would not try to track it and eiter confirm it was dead, if alive but injured end its suffering, or had gotten clean away. And yes by all means report it.

Is that really the responsibility/obligation of the OP (original poster) in this case? I believe does are LEH in that area....if he didn't have a tag what good is chasing down a wounded doe going to do?

If I drove all the way up there from Coquitlam (where the OP is from) for a day hunt or even a couple of days I don't think I am going to spend my day chasing down an animal to which I don't have a tag and that some other arsehole f-ed up on and wounded?

Ya...it's crappy there is a wounded animal out there running around but I think it's better to call it in and report it than undertaking the job of tracking down someone else's screw up. Who knows how far that doe could have gone....it is the responsibility of Junior and Daddy who pulled the trigger to make every attempt to recover that animal; not the witness'.

If you're out in a marsh and see a guy 200 yards away wings a bird that flies 100 yards before going down; do you go after it if he doesn't? :?

David Heitsman
10-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Janderson:

Joins HBC six months ago and first post reflects poorly on hunters?

Things that make you go hummmm.

Jonas111
10-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Is that really the responsibility/obligation of the OP (original poster) in this case? I believe does are LEH in that area....if he didn't have a tag what good is chasing down a wounded doe going to do?

If I drove all the way up there from Coquitlam (where the OP is from) for a day hunt or even a couple of days I don't think I am going to spend my day chasing down an animal to which I don't have a tag and that some other arsehole f-ed up on and wounded?

Ya...it's crappy there is a wounded animal out there running around but I think it's better to call it in and report it than undertaking the job of tracking down someone else's screw up. Who knows how far that doe could have gone....it is the responsibility of Junior and Daddy who pulled the trigger to make every attempt to recover that animal; not the witness'.

If you're out in a marsh and see a guy 200 yards away wings a bird that flies 100 yards before going down; do you go after it if he doesn't? :?

How would you know if he hit or not? He was specualting that he shot the deer. All I'm saying is everyone is so quick to judge.

I do not support what they did in anyway and in no way would I go tracking down someone else's deer if I am out hunting on my own but I am not going to speculate if they made a kill or not either.

If there was no blood trail then no need to look any longer, they missed.

The Dude
10-14-2011, 01:47 PM

Hunt much?

were they _ _ _ _ _ _?

Man, the two words I'm thinking of both fit.......
I'll take a "K", that'll rule that one out. :grin:

MB_Boy
10-14-2011, 02:06 PM
How would you know if he hit or not? He was specualting that he shot the deer. All I'm saying is everyone is so quick to judge.

I dunno....I read this:

Last weekend I was up hunting near 100 mile and watched this father and his two sons shoot a doe up on a ridge while they were in a valley. I went and talked to them and they said that they hit it high and lost sight of it after it ran off into the trees. They knew it would die eventually but didnt even go and look for it. They got back in there car and drove down the road in the opposite direction of where the doe went. They came back 30 min later looked around for 20 minutes for the doe and just left. Apparently the kid that shot the doe only had one bullet and no extra ammo with him. It was just wrong to just not even look for the doe. They just went off and kept hunting like it never happened. Its people like this that give hunters a bad name. Like what kind of a hunter really only has one bullet on him. these guys were just a joke.

It would seem as Daddy and JR were pretty sure it was hit and they THOUGHT it was hit; so why not go look for it or even check where the animal was when you shot? You just assume..."oh well, hop back up in your child seat JR...lets keep goin'"

Why is it the OP's duty as some have stated on here to "go look for it". No tag....why go spend would could be hours looking for a deer you didn't shoot nor have a tag for?

I do not support what they did in anyway and in no way would I go tracking down someone else's deer if I am out hunting on my own but I am not going to speculate if they made a kill or not either.

No "speculation".....shooter and Daddy confimed that they thought it hit; AND would likely die. Seems reason enough to me to get off your arse...hike up he ridge and look for some blood

Tough to find a blood trail after your shot when you're standing in a valley looking up to the top of a ridge? What kind of optics do you use; I gotta get me some!?!? :roll: ;-)

Tough to find a blood trail if you don't even go look for one; just hop back in your vehicle and keep driving...hopin' to whack that goes "bang flop" as opposed to "bang, run 100 yards and flop". That is an extra 100 yards for Daddy to trod looking for what JR pulled the trigger on...that is "extreme". :mrgreen:

sarg
10-14-2011, 02:08 PM
i was in 100mile last week hunting we shot 4 animals 1 lung shoot, 1 heart shoot, 1 neck shoot,and one bad shot, not one animal had a blood trail and they they all run about 30yard and died, and we had to spent some time to find them but all was found. so no blood doent meen a miss.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
my last deer was an ethical 300 yard shot to the vitals, however what i saw through my scope was the deer casually walking off, it really looked liked i had missed as i lost sight of the deer through my scope, it felt strange cause i was pretty sure i had connected with it .... so i walked up to where the deer was shot only to find a pool of blood where i shot the deer and the dead deer about 5 yards from that.

this situation made me realize that it's to easy to think you have missed and carry-on hunting somewhere else and waste good meat.

always, always follow up checking for the blood trial!

.002 cents

Jonas111
10-14-2011, 04:16 PM
i was in 100mile last week hunting we shot 4 animals 1 lung shoot, 1 heart shoot, 1 neck shoot,and one bad shot, not one animal had a blood trail and they they all run about 30yard and died, and we had to spent some time to find them but all was found. so no blood doent meen a miss.

I get what your saying. All I'm trying to do is point out that there is multiple scenarios and we don't need to CO's every time. Obviously this time there should be a call but there is numerous situations where people are wrongfully accused.

Janderson
10-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Janderson:

Joins HBC six months ago and first post reflects poorly on hunters?

Things that make you go hummmm.

I didnt plan on my first post reflecting badly on hunters at all. It was just a coincidence that i posted this as my first post. Hunters are a good group but there are always the bad ones. I know lots of guys that hunt and this is the first one that i have ever run into that didnt share a repectful view of hunting.

I didnt mean to create in problems i was just looking for some advice. I would have reported them but i wasnt able to get their plate number before they left. Iwas on the other side of the cut block and couldnt read the plate. There is a leh doe season in the area so i highly doubt that they were poaching. I cant say whether they or not they did come back at, but as long as i was there they never did other than the one time. These guys seemed innocent enough but to leave a deer was wrong. I forgot to mention in my first post that they the father said they hit it high and it appeared that it took out a section of spine or at least a big hole in its upper back. So it would have died shortly for sure. I didnt go after it because i was unsure if they were coming back for it or not and didnt want to be caught with a freshly killed deer with no one else around. Next time i would go after it for sure, but i was really unsure what to do. \Sorry for making hunters look bad cause i think overalll we are a good bunch of people

Morel
10-14-2011, 11:01 PM
I didnt plan on my first post reflecting badly on hunters at all. It was just a coincidence that i posted this as my first post. Hunters are a good group but there are always the bad ones. I know lots of guys that hunt and this is the first one that i have ever run into that didnt share a repectful view of hunting.

I think the posts on this thread do not reflect badly on hunters in general. I am new to hunting and have done as much thinking about what makes an ethical hunt as I have about my gear and where to hunt. I feel that the thread demonstrates that the actions of unethical hunters are in the minority and do not reflect the values of hunters posting on HBC (although perhaps a biased sample). The majority of posts reflect disgust at failure to follow up on shot taken on an animal, and the lack of respect for game on the part of the hunters. Yes, there are bad apples in every group (drivers, mountain bikers, ATV users etc..) but the responses of the HBC posters clearly indicates that many hunters do not approve of their approach to hunting and their actions are criticized and reviled by their peers (other hunters).

Ride Red
10-15-2011, 06:14 AM

Jonas,

Your starting to sound a little guilty or have no idea what your talking about.

Here's an example: My son shot a muley this past long weekend with a quartering forward shot. The bullet hit a rib and deflected into the far side shoulder without exiting. He's shooting a 243 and shot this deer at 90 yards. The deer spun, went 30 yards and was dead. The cover he was in was so thick that we combed the area for close to 30 min before I spotted him up on the ridge from where he was shot. Even when we approached him, there still wasn't a drop of blood coming out of him. This again is proof that you won't have a blood trail to follow when an animal is hit.
This father should be ashamed of himself for not providing a better example for his kids to follow. We as parents are our kids life teachers and should put forth every effort to teach our kids the rights and wrongs. If they exhausted every avenue this deer could possibly have taken, then fine, but 20 min. won't give you sufficient time to cover the area. We as hunters owe it to the animals that we hunt to give 100% of our efforts to conclude we've done everything possible to find such animal.
Ride Red.

Jonas111
10-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Jonas,

Your starting to sound a little guilty or have no idea what your talking about.

Here's an example: My son shot a muley this past long weekend with a quartering forward shot. The bullet hit a rib and deflected into the far side shoulder without exiting. He's shooting a 243 and shot this deer at 90 yards. The deer spun, went 30 yards and was dead. The cover he was in was so thick that we combed the area for close to 30 min before I spotted him up on the ridge from where he was shot. Even when we approached him, there still wasn't a drop of blood coming out of him. This again is proof that you won't have a blood trail to follow when an animal is hit.
This father should be ashamed of himself for not providing a better example for his kids to follow. We as parents are our kids life teachers and should put forth every effort to teach our kids the rights and wrongs. If they exhausted every avenue this deer could possibly have taken, then fine, but 20 min. won't give you sufficient time to cover the area. We as hunters owe it to the animals that we hunt to give 100% of our efforts to conclude we've done everything possible to find such animal.
Ride Red.

Yeah that's it, you got me. Better call the CO now.

Read all my posts before you accuse me of being guilty.

I can assure you I DO NOT support what these hunters did.